Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A car is going to Mars (orbit)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: A car is going to Mars (orbit)
Reply #30 on: February 01, 2018, 12:25:37 PM
One more thing.
You say we can find alternative sources of energy, yet we need to venture out into space in search of Helium because there is no alternative to that?
Sounds like quite a lame excuse :pok:

Resources running out require actions to spend them well.
Spending them well doesn't mean "shoot them into space and hope that one day we'll find more then enough up there"
'Cause if you don't fined anything there, you would have pushed everyone deeper down the hole.

And keep in mind, oil is not only used for power and propulsion.
It's also a resource for other materials like plastics.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #31 on: February 01, 2018, 12:38:27 PM
PS Asteroid belt mining on a truely massive scale may cause a redistribution of mass throughout the solar system such that the effects make global warming look loke kiddy stuff.

I can see something exciting happening to Jupiter’s(or Saturn’s, etc) moons if you brought the entire asteroid belt there, but I think that we’re clever enough to not do that.  ;)

no, of course. Like the Amazon, the Aral sea or the Uyuni Salt Desert, we're well known for stopping at the slightest hint of overexploitation of natural  places  :twak:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #32 on: February 01, 2018, 01:02:30 PM
PS Asteroid belt mining on a truely massive scale may cause a redistribution of mass throughout the solar system such that the effects make global warming look loke kiddy stuff.

I can see something exciting happening to Jupiter’s(or Saturn’s, etc) moons if you brought the entire asteroid belt there, but I think that we’re clever enough to not do that.  ;)

no, of course. Like the Amazon, the Aral sea or the Uyuni Salt Desert, we're well known for stopping at the slightest hint of overexploitation of natural  places  :twak:
Spoken like we can move an entire asteroid belt out of greed.  :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: February 01, 2018, 02:07:12 PM
One more thing.
You say we can find alternative sources of energy, yet we need to venture out into space in search of Helium because there is no alternative to that?
Sounds like quite a lame excuse :pok:

Resources running out require actions to spend them well.
Spending them well doesn't mean "shoot them into space and hope that one day we'll find more then enough up there"
'Cause if you don't fined anything there, you would have pushed everyone deeper down the hole.

And keep in mind, oil is not only used for power and propulsion.
It's also a resource for other materials like plastics.
The helium was just one example, and heaven knows we have plenty in Jupiter and Saturn.  :D
Nevermind it for now.

I think that your “waste of resources” argument could be better directed at other, better, things. :think:
Consider, anually, we spend about 100 to 200 billion dollars (my estimate) on space activities. Sounds big right? Well.... that’s the USA, Europe, China, Russia, etc combined. It includes comercial enterprises, which are spending money on space for proft(TV, weather, internet, etc)
As a percentage of the global economy, it’s just a few tenths of a percent, like 0.2%. :sa:
But a sizeable part is military related, which brings me to my next point.

The annual global military spending is around $1000 billion dollars, mostly by governments not expecting a profit or monetary return on their spending.
That could be very useful if it was spent on other things. :pok:

In any case, I’m not saying that your argument is wrong, just that there are other “more useless” things that we should redirect spending from before we look at cutting space spending. Low hanging fruit and all that.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 02:08:34 PM by Pablo O'Brien »

All hail the hook!

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #34 on: February 01, 2018, 03:05:37 PM
The way I see it, you don't go spending your money and time looking for a second home because your first home needs some work done to it ...

Has our throw-away society come that far that we're actually considering a new "home planet" because the old one wasn't covered under warranty due to misuse or lack of proper maintenance ...  ::)

I know that Elon Musk is aware of the global problems, and that there are many, many who are far worse than him.  But that's just why I would rather see him use his "SpaceX budget" to create an affordable electric car that runs for more than 300 miles on one battery charge, instead of producing these ego boosting sportcars for men who suffer from small thingy syndrome ...

I'm aware that Tesla is going to produce a more affordable electric car in the near future, but it will still be quite expensive and it will still have a very small action radius (compaired to a "normal" car), I think they (Tesla) can do better than that.  And I believe it would be a far bigger PR stunt when they would be the first to produce an electric car that has the same action radius as a regular car, for the same price as a regular car ...

Spend your money on that Elon  :pok:.

Just my humble opinion, as always  ;).

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #35 on: February 01, 2018, 03:08:16 PM
Now that we're running out of Helium, does this mean we can't use it to make our voice sound funny anymore ... ?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: February 01, 2018, 03:13:00 PM
The way I see it, you don't go spending your money and time looking for a second home because your first home needs some work done to it ...

Has our throw-away society come that far that we're actually considering a new "home planet" because the old one wasn't covered under warranty due to misuse or lack of proper maintenance ...  ::)

I know that Elon Musk is aware of the global problems, and that there are many, many who are far worse than him.  But that's just why I would rather see him use his "SpaceX budget" to create an affordable electric car that runs for more than 300 miles on one battery charge, instead of producing these ego boosting sportcars for men who suffer from small thingy syndrome ...

I'm aware that Tesla is going to produce a more affordable electric car in the near future, but it will still be quite expensive and it will still have a very small action radius (compaired to a "normal" car), I think they (Tesla) can do better than that.  And I believe it would be a far bigger PR stunt when they would be the first to produce an electric car that has the same action radius as a regular car, for the same price as a regular car ...

10 years ago, no one knew about Tesla or SpaceX.
Are you criticising them for not moving fast enough?  :P

All hail the hook!

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #37 on: February 01, 2018, 03:44:38 PM

On the contrary, I expect more from them. 

And I would have liked to have an affordable long range electric car now and the SpaceX program somewhere in the next 20 years instead of the other way around  ;).

Show content

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: February 01, 2018, 04:00:19 PM

On the contrary, I expect more from them. 

And I would have liked to have an affordable long range electric car now and the SpaceX program somewhere in the next 20 years instead of the other way around  ;).

Show content
Keep in mind that if SpaceX didn’t exist, Tesla would be roughly at the same stage of development. SpaceX is a completely separate company that isn’t holding Tesla back. It ain’t a case of “one or the other”.

Anyway, if everyone’s going to drive Electric cars, where’s the resources for all the batteries going to come from?
If we want to keep our rainforests and countryside, we’re going to need space mining.

I’m not proposing to abandon Earth. I’m proposing to use space resources to help save Earth as we know it.  :salute:

All hail the hook!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #39 on: February 01, 2018, 04:06:42 PM

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: February 06, 2018, 01:34:37 AM
Launch scheduled for 18:30 today(Tuesday), GMT time.  :ahhh
Will post link to livestream.
One way or another, it’s gonna be a blaaaast if weather permits and there’s no bugs that stop the countdown.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 01:37:04 AM by Pablo O'Brien »

All hail the hook!

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #41 on: February 06, 2018, 05:37:09 AM
Can't wait to see Musk's ego orbiting Mars! Earth orbit just isn't  enough to contain his ego anymore. :popcorn:
For the record, I am not stating any stance on Global issues and Space Travel, but I am saying Elon Musk is an egomaniac.  :whistle:

Edit: Thank you for the thread and updates, Pablo! :tu:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 05:38:43 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: February 06, 2018, 09:43:59 AM
Can't wait to see Musk's ego orbiting Mars! Earth orbit just isn't  enough to contain his ego anymore. :popcorn:
For the record, I am not stating any stance on Global issues and Space Travel, but I am saying Elon Musk is an egomaniac.  :whistle:

Edit: Thank you for the thread and updates, Pablo! :tu:
Well they did base the movie version of Tony Stark on him.
Heck he even gets a camo in the second Iron Man movie. :rofl:

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: February 06, 2018, 10:31:24 AM
So he'll blast us all to hell before rising up as our saviour?

Sounds legit :whistle:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #44 on: February 06, 2018, 12:15:21 PM
There's a bit about it on the bbc new website this morning

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-42950957

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #45 on: February 06, 2018, 12:19:20 PM
you'd think they'd send a payload of something that might be actually useful to mars... you know, like seed vaults
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: February 06, 2018, 12:49:11 PM
you'd think they'd send a payload of something that might be actually useful to mars... you know, like seed vaults
It's going to Mars' heliocentric orbit, not "mars mars" orbit. Sending a seed vault or anything scientifically useful to a place millions of miles from the nearest planet is odd, to put it mildly. :)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: February 06, 2018, 12:49:49 PM
There's a bit about it on the bbc new website this morning

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-42950957
Pretty good article.  :tu:

All hail the hook!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #48 on: February 06, 2018, 02:33:37 PM
It's going to Mars' heliocentric orbit, not "mars mars" orbit. Sending a seed vault or anything scientifically useful to a place millions of miles from the nearest planet is odd, to put it mildly. :)

Unlike puting a car in Mars' heliocentric orbit...

:whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #49 on: February 06, 2018, 02:47:25 PM

Unlike puting a car in Mars' heliocentric orbit...

:whistle:

And to make things worse, an electrical car, miles away from a charging station ...  ::)

england Offline Kev D

Reply #50 on: February 06, 2018, 03:07:03 PM
Just more junk is space the aliens will judge us for  :facepalm:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #51 on: February 06, 2018, 03:26:00 PM
totally, and if he needs more space in his garage I'd gladly take that Tesla off his hands...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: February 06, 2018, 07:01:20 PM
totally, and if he needs more space in his garage I'd gladly take that Tesla off his hands...
Same here!
They can launch my car instead...

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #53 on: February 06, 2018, 07:17:27 PM
I could've provided a car for that as well ... my boss'car.

(preferably with him stuffed in the trunk ).

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: February 06, 2018, 07:31:00 PM
It’s an 8 year old car......

Launch window delayed 2 hours

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: February 06, 2018, 07:44:56 PM
My own car is 7 years old and costed 9.6k new.
That Tesla is still worth more then that!

2hours delay??

Did they forget to charge the Tesla first? :rofl:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: February 06, 2018, 10:01:16 PM
Launch was succesfull...

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: February 06, 2018, 10:01:44 PM
The launch worked 100%!!!! All three rockets landed safely! :woohoo: :ahhh

faints

All hail the hook!

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #58 on: February 06, 2018, 10:03:46 PM
Probably the most significant launch since the shuttle, I'm happy I watched that  :tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: February 06, 2018, 10:07:48 PM
Probably the most significant launch since the shuttle, I'm happy I watched that  :tu:
Amen to that....   :cheers:

Especially since I wasn’t around to see the space shuttles’ maiden launch.  :D

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68