Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Penlights

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Re: Penlights
Reply #30 on: December 26, 2017, 10:15:10 PM
47's TI Preon and Olight Preon Penlights:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #31 on: December 27, 2017, 04:35:23 AM
Quote from: Mizedog
Would love to see your Jetsons light.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
And here is the 1960s Jetson style penlight! Cleaned up nice. Thought the corrosion would be a bigger problem, but it cleaned up well!
Pictured next to the early 1900s penlight. Both take 2xAA and have screw lamp LED bulbs that look like the originals. :)
20171226_212647-1.jpeg
* 20171226_212647-1.jpeg (Filesize: 94.41 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: December 27, 2017, 08:05:00 AM
Quote from: Mizedog
Would love to see your Jetsons light.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
And here is the 1960s Jetson style penlight! Cleaned up nice. Thought the corrosion would be a bigger problem, but it cleaned up well!
Pictured next to the early 1900s penlight. Both take 2xAA and have screw lamp LED bulbs that look like the originals. :)
:tu: Awesome
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: December 27, 2017, 08:13:02 AM
ThruNite Ti4 disappointment, although not entirely surprising

Had the ThruNite in my pocket for the last couple of day (since the 22nd of this month). Yesterday (26th), when I wanted to use it, it was out of battery. I must have accidentally turned on the light and completely drained the batteries. The button is very exposed and very weak, so it was not a complete surprise but a disappointment nonetheless. Meaning I either have to change the way I carry that light (which I won't) or use another light.

So, this penlight won't have the honor of being part of my EDC :-\

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: December 28, 2017, 11:40:04 AM
It has arrived! :ahhh

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: January 04, 2018, 08:55:43 PM
After carrying the Coast HP3 a bit, I'm back with the 5.11 PLx.

Coast HP3
I sorta do like the focusing, but I almost feel that the light is too weak for it to have a true impact. Overall, the light is simply too large.

I do like the PLx in its simplicity and design but I think there should be a more modern solution. So I'm hoping foursevens is back soon.
I played with the Nitecore  MT06, but the low mode is way too bright, might as well be a single mode. Fortunately, there is the MT06MD version.
Along the same line there is the Klarus P20 which is currently at the top of my list.
Streamlight has an updated version of their microstream coming (USB rechargeable with 250lumen top and a two way pocket clip).
I also like the look of the MecArmy penlight. Although expensive, I have seen one picture, where they removed the lighter. Having a capsule in the penlight would be quite nice.

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #36 on: January 05, 2018, 12:46:06 AM
Anyone know of a good pen light in a red color?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #37 on: January 05, 2018, 03:31:54 AM

What kind and how many batteries? Or rechargeable?
I am a collector of things in red. Except SAKs.
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Penlights
Reply #38 on: January 05, 2018, 03:41:20 AM

Rechargeables would be nice. But no preference really. Just looking for options. Of course depending on batteries I can always use eneloops
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 03:43:24 AM by mrynnr »

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #39 on: January 05, 2018, 05:58:26 AM

Rechargeables would be nice. But no preference really. Just looking for options. Of course depending on batteries I can always use eneloops
NIGHTCORE TIP I have this one, in red of course, with me every day. Great flashlight with easy features.
http://flashlight.nitecore.com/ILLUMINATION/T/TIP/

Manker E02. When I think I might need to be hands free I have this one with me. Nice and bright, easy features.
http://www.mankerlight.com/manker-e02-best-aaa-flashlight-220-lumen-right-angle-light/

Mini Maglite LED I carry this Maglite (or the one below) for work when I don’t need a wide beam. Small focus range
http://maglite.com/shop/flashlights/compact-flashlights/mini-maglite-pro-led-2-cell-aa-flashlight-holster-pack-241.html#.Wk8DrSROnmo

Mini Maglite LED Pro+  This is my workhorse at work. Nice and bright, great focus range.
http://maglite.com/shop/flashlights/compact-flashlights/mini-maglite-pro-led-2-cell-aa-flashlight-holster-pack.html#.Wk8FByROnmo

Hopefully this helps. There are others, but I do not own them.       Yet.
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
*=mod

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #41 on: January 05, 2018, 06:11:26 AM
Thanks   :rant:
Something else to buy.   ::)
*=mod

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: January 05, 2018, 06:15:08 AM

lol. have you seen the nitecore tini, ther's a red one too. no red saks?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 06:16:31 AM by Blackbeard »
BB :B:

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #43 on: January 05, 2018, 07:30:36 AM

lol. have you seen the nitecore tini, ther's a red one too. no red saks?
Only one red SAK. I collect MT, not knives. Well, at least not yet.
*=mod

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: January 05, 2018, 11:45:40 AM

The closest I can think of is the 5.11 PLx, which is available in dark orange, I like this penlight for its simplicity.

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #45 on: January 05, 2018, 11:47:28 AM

The closest I can think of is the 5.11 PLx, which is available in dark orange, I like this penlight for its simplicity.
(Image removed from quote.)
I have some 5.11 pants. Never though of looking at their lights.

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #46 on: January 05, 2018, 11:50:52 AM

NIGHTCORE TIP I have this one, in red of course, with me every day. Great flashlight with easy features.
http://flashlight.nitecore.com/ILLUMINATION/T/TIP/

Manker E02. When I think I might need to be hands free I have this one with me. Nice and bright, easy features.
http://www.mankerlight.com/manker-e02-best-aaa-flashlight-220-lumen-right-angle-light/

Mini Maglite LED I carry this Maglite (or the one below) for work when I don’t need a wide beam. Small focus range
http://maglite.com/shop/flashlights/compact-flashlights/mini-maglite-pro-led-2-cell-aa-flashlight-holster-pack-241.html#.Wk8DrSROnmo

Mini Maglite LED Pro+  This is my workhorse at work. Nice and bright, great focus range.
http://maglite.com/shop/flashlights/compact-flashlights/mini-maglite-pro-led-2-cell-aa-flashlight-holster-pack.html#.Wk8FByROnmo

Hopefully this helps. There are others, but I do not own them.       Yet.
Wow! Thank you! I’ll give them a looksee

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: January 05, 2018, 12:38:42 PM

I have some 5.11 pants. Never though of looking at their lights.
There are pros and cons to this light

Con
- Thicker and less elegant as a ThruNite Ti4
- Small reflector
- Only 1 mode
- Button is quite hard to press
- Diffuse beam
- Tech is at least 1 generation outdated

Pro
- It works
- Only 1 mode
- Button is quite hard to press, so no accidental pressing
- Diffuse beam, good for area illumination
- Rides well in pockets

Personally, I would say its a bit overpriced for what you get. But of the ones I have this is my current EDC light.

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Penlights
Reply #48 on: January 05, 2018, 07:19:38 PM
Olight is having a flash sale so I ended up getting an S2R. Not quite a penlight or the color red. :facepalm:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: January 08, 2018, 05:26:54 PM
Olight is having a flash sale so I ended up getting an S2R. Not quite a penlight or the color red. :facepalm:
Nothing keeps you from getting a penlight and another light in red and a red penlight... :D

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: January 24, 2018, 11:49:48 PM
Never thought I would see this light, took 11-12 weeks to get it from Grrbst, was so long that I had thought i ordered nichia version but it was xp-g2 r5. the delivery time was absurd, I got a refund from them and just repaid the refund back, what a pain in the butt.

Anyway, like all my other Lumintops its a great quality light with nice metal clickie switch 200/40/3 lumens 3 modes. My only negatives are the brass ring near the head is able to rotate and has a little up and down play, but I heard that its common with this model. It has nice matte black annodizing and good clip. Like the blue olight I have pictured earlier in the thread it gets very hot if you keep it on high for a few minutes, seems to be common on 2xAAA penlights, there's also a little battery rattle, but thats no big deal and I can wrap a small post it around batteries to stop it if I choose. They use reflectors that keep all their LED's pefectly centered.

Pros definently outweigh the cons, a great little penlight and if you can get it under $10 very good deal, although I will never choose free shipping option again around holidays as its too much of a wait/headache

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 11:51:21 PM by Blackbeard »

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: January 25, 2018, 02:30:23 AM
Never thought I would see this light, took 11-12 weeks to get it from Grrbst, was so long that I had thought i ordered nichia version but it was xp-g2 r5. the delivery time was absurd, I got a refund from them and just repaid the refund back, what a pain in the butt.

Anyway, like all my other Lumintops its a great quality light with nice metal clickie switch 200/40/3 lumens 3 modes. My only negatives are the brass ring near the head is able to rotate and has a little up and down play, but I heard that its common with this model. It has nice matte black annodizing and good clip. Like the blue olight I have pictured earlier in the thread it gets very hot if you keep it on high for a few minutes, seems to be common on 2xAAA penlights, there's also a little battery rattle, but thats no big deal and I can wrap a small post it around batteries to stop it if I choose. They use reflectors that keep all their LED's pefectly centered.

Pros definently outweigh the cons, a great little penlight and if you can get it under $10 very good deal, although I will never choose free shipping option again around holidays as its too much of a wait/headache

Agreed. My only penlight, but never found the need for another. Great all around light.

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #52 on: January 25, 2018, 08:39:40 AM
My God! Never even knew Lumintop had a penlight!  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: IIiiiii might be ordering one after watching/reading some reviews or even... before that  :drool: :drool: :drool:

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #53 on: January 25, 2018, 08:42:24 PM
From Factor Equipment, MIZPAH 130 Compact, is a 1-AAA battery penlight (130-34-6 lumens) which I use with my Wave sheath and the MIZPAH 250 is a 2-AAA penlight (250-205-107-40 lumens) fits perfect on the side of my Surge leather sheath. Most people underestimate these lights but they are as good as Olight or FourSeven Preon.
“It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I try a little longer to solve the problem"

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: January 25, 2018, 10:26:36 PM
 I highly recommend the Lumintop, difficult to beat considering the price.  It has a ridiculous name/number, the brass ring is a bit annoying and I never quite saw the need for so much knurling complaints until I got this light. BUT, as with most products from this brand it didn't disappointed me, great clip (unlike the Tool), the reverse clicky is very positive and the overall construction is top notch.

I've got the nichia version, might need to get a  xp-g2 though. The price is quite unbeatable, specially as of late. I've seen it for 10 USD!! When I bought it went for 25 USD, with a low of 15 USD when on sale!!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #55 on: January 25, 2018, 11:33:00 PM
I’d love a good penlight, I mean I have two cheap single AA’s, of course the single AA Maglite, yet I also have the double AAA, but need something with a little more light..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: January 26, 2018, 12:25:28 AM
i think I saw the $10 deal again yesterday for xpg, check budget light forums

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: January 26, 2018, 12:32:40 AM
GrieblyBest does have a $10 XP-G2, but I just spent all my money for toys in the last 3 months  :D As a matter of fact I've been needing to get some batteries and some nyogel but the actual toys (on Blackfriday, Christmas and etc) were so shiny and at great discounts that I could not resist  :ahhh. If I were to buy I'm afraid there would be no batteries to fuel it up.  :whistle:

Thanks for the headsup anyway!!

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: January 26, 2018, 12:37:09 AM
GrieblyBest does have a $10 XP-G2, but I just spent all my money for toys in the last 3 months  :D As a matter of fact I've been needing to get some batteries and some nyogel but the actual toys (on Blackfriday, Christmas and etc) were so shiny and at great discounts that I could not resist  :ahhh. If I were to buy I'm afraid there would be no batteries to fuel it up.  :whistle:

Thanks for the headsup anyway!!

LOL, between the Moras, vics and olights I got over the past few months I am beyond broke, I hear ya, I can't buy anything either...I was able to get a Nitecore TINI recently with giftcard balance I had, and lumintop tool AA last week broke my wallet event tho it wasnt expenzive, but got bills to pay and this hobby is ridiculous
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 12:41:32 AM by Blackbeard »

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: January 26, 2018, 12:40:59 AM
My God! Never even knew Lumintop had a penlight!  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: IIiiiii might be ordering one after watching/reading some reviews or even... before that  :drool: :drool: :drool:

No need. Blackbeard is spot on in his review. I will add that mine seems to flicker when the battery gets low. I’ve kind of found it helpful.  :shrug:  :pok:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%