Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Baton Q1 Review and first Impressions

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Baton Q1 Review and first Impressions
on: December 22, 2017, 05:48:01 AM
To start, I'd like to thank Def & the whole MT.O team for all their hard work, and giving me the opportunity to win this SOG Baton Q1 during the 11th Anniversary festivities.

For those who aren't familiar, the SOG Baton Q1 is a part of a new line of "lifestyle" multitools aimed at office workers. The Baton form factor isn't quite new, having been done by several Chinese POS's but it is the first time a quality multitools manufacturer has tried its hand at it. The Q1 is minimally equipped, and comes with a pocket clip, a replaceable blue ink pen, folding scissors, and a combination bottle opener/flathead.

Box

Front

Tool side

Other Side

Note: the white smudges in the previous two pictures did come from the factory, but quickly wore off after an hour in my pocket.

Onto the tool itself. The Q1 is a fair bit longer than I expected, but is still a manageable size. While the "scales" are plastic, the tool has a nice weight to it, and doesn't feel cheap at all. In fact, if held like one, the Q1 feels like a slightly overweight pen. I wouldn't want to write an essay with it, but for quick signatures and notes, it is vastly more comfortable to hold than a Victorinox Plus scale pen.  It did take a couple scribbles out if the box to get a consistent line, but once the ink was flowing, it wrote very smoothly. The ink cartridge is replaceable with any D1 size ink cartridge, which are fairly cheap and readily available online in multiple colors.

Scribbles

Pen deployment slider

Pen assembly

Replaceable D1 ink cartridge

The bottle opener is a little small, but does the job just fine opening beer and the like. Nothing to complain about, but not exactly special either. The bottle opener also has a flathead end, which works fine for the occasional slotted screw. Unfortunately, it is rather thin, so I doubt it will hold up well to any prying, or any seriously stuck screws.

Juice Bottle Opener vs Baton Q1 opener.

Speaking of "thin" I'm a little surprised that SOG didn't include another folding tool or two on the bottle opener end of the tool. There is plenty of room, and changing the casing to accommodate another tool seems pretty arbitrary from my layman's perspective. A differentsize flathead, or even a Phillips head would be nice, and fairly straightforward to include.

Closeup of bottle opener slot

The scissors are the part I was most excited for. Those of you who are more familiar with SOGs tools will know SOG has a spotty history with scissors. Essentially, SOGs scissors suck for even cutting paper, and forget about anything even remotely thick or corded.

However, I am pleased to say these are not too shabby. They are spring loaded, and and have very smooth action. The spring is nice and firm, but not difficult to use. They perform excellently on paper, as well as cardstock. They do open a bit wider than I would like, but they aren't exactly difficult to grip, and the handles provide a nice ergonomic grip.

Open

Folded but deployed

On Paracord they fall a bit flat, and will chew at the cord if it isn't taut. A taut cord does make for a decent cut though.

Right cut is Q1 with taut paracord, middle cut is Q1 with loose Paracord, left cut is Juice S2 with  loose paracord

Overall, I am quite pleased with this tool. At first I was concerned about carrying such  a long tool, but after an entire day of carrying in in my back right pocket with my wallet, I am concerned no longer. It was so comfortable in fact, I actually forgot I was carrying it several times. The tool is not perfect, the scissors could be better, there looks to be plenty of room for more implements, and the white residue from the factory is off putting. However, this tool seems to be well manufactured, and I think will make a nice addition to my EDC.

Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

fi Offline Padre

Re: Baton Q1 Review and first Impressions
Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 11:09:41 AM
Why is it so large...
 :rant:

We need Q0, this, but smaller.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 12:31:22 PM
Glad it got there :like: Thanks for the pics and review/thoughts of this handy looking tool. sLmed :cheers: :tu:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 01:22:56 PM
Why is it so large...

Well, I don't like to brag, but...

Show content

:D :D :D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 02:56:14 PM
Great review there mate. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 05:23:49 PM
Good to finally have some reviews on these... :salute:
looks decent enough and with that weight and construction also works as a kubaton/tactical pen   :D
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 06:12:38 PM
Why is it so large...

We need Q0, this, but smaller.
That was my first impression too, but it actually isn't as big as it seems. It is thinner than a Leatherman Rebar, and it just disappears when you use the pocket clip. I literally forgot about it several times, and when i rediscovered it during a 3 tap pocket check, I couldn't remember what it was, and I had to physically pull it out to remind myself that I had it! It slips quite nicely next to my wallet, so much so that I don't notice it through a whole day of sitting, moving & even a little running.

Glad it got there :like: Thanks for the pics and review/thoughts of this handy looking tool. sLmed :cheers: :tu:
It is no problem, I figure it is the least I could do, since I did win it here after all.

Good to finally have some reviews on these... :salute:
looks decent enough and with that weight and construction also works as a kubaton/tactical pen   :D
I suppose it could (and I suspect that with a name like "Baton" SOG is encouraging that angle), but I prefer to just turn around and high tail it in those sort of situations  :D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 06:13:51 PM by sLaughterMed »
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%