Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Climber vs Compact

pl Offline GreenFish

Climber vs Compact
on: December 22, 2017, 03:11:30 PM
Hi I'm looking for a new SAK. I'm struggling between choosing Climber and Compact. What are your opinions?

For a year I was EDCing Pioneer X but now I want to buy a classic celidor SAK. It will be of course used for a pocket carry. The tools I've most used on Pioneer X were scissors, bottle opener, main blade and a that great awl!

I find myself more drawn to the Compact due to the fact it has only 2 layers and that gives him a very slim and attractive look. I  also like the fact that it has nail file on the hook - that was the thing I was missing on Pioneer X. But is it big enough to be comfortable to use (for nails only)? I also like the idea for combo tool because I never used can opener.

As for the Climber it has more tools and everything I need except nail file. I wonder about the small blade, is it really that necessary? It has awl but I don't think it will be as useful as the Pioneer X one due to the placement and design.

Thanks for your opinions
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 03:14:41 PM by GreenFish »

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Climber vs Compact
Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 03:16:56 PM
Both are good models... Compact is just a bit pricey and it’s missing the awl...

Just need to try them though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 03:20:50 PM
And what were you using the bottle opener for? :think:
The combo tool is a little bit on the weak side, for things like prying, especially compared to the Pioneer X Bottle opener.
I'm not saying that its a bad tool, its just that for certain purposes which the Pioneer X bottle opener would,handle easily, it might not live up to expectations.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

pl Offline GreenFish

Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 03:25:08 PM
And what were you using the bottle opener for? :think:
The combo tool is a little bit on the weak side, for things like prying, especially compared to the Pioneer X Bottle opener.
I'm not saying that its a bad tool, its just that for certain purposes which the Pioneer X bottle opener would,handle easily, it might not live up to expectations.

Mostly beer opening :D but it is true that here and then I used it for prying. Still not some heavy work.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 03:48:05 PM
Compact!

Also adds the pen, pin and mini driver by default.

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 04:35:26 PM
Here is the honest MTO answer.  It's not which do I buy it's which do I buy first! Sak's are not monogamist and are affordable so get both!
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 04:47:41 PM
The second blade gets its value in my opinion on camping trips and hikes, where you will be away from your at-home sharpening stuff. For daily carry it is not a huge deal to me, then again I have like three other bladed tools on me as well. If you are going to buy two SAKs as was mentioned by gene, my advice would be to get the compact and something other than the climber because it is just so close to both of the other ones you will have. You will have 3 SAKs that do almost the same thing. My opinion is get the compact then go for something completely different like a trekker or a farmer or a plier based tool. Just my opinion though. Do what you want, it is your money after all! :tu:

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 06:04:00 PM
If the tools you're looking for are: knife, scissors, opener, corkscrew, nail file and reamer/awl, consider an Evo Grip 14.

This is the rebranded Wenger 85mm series.  Note that the scissors are different from the real Vic scissors.

BTW that's not a small blade, the nail file is on the back side.
EvoGrip14.jpg
* EvoGrip14.jpg (Filesize: 36.97 KB)
- Steve

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 06:09:04 PM
The Compact makes a great EDC.

The Climber is one of the great SAKs of all time.

Tough choice.  I do wish that the Compact came with an awl instead of the corkscrew. But then you get a mini-driver in the corckscrew......

BOTH>:D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 06:10:05 PM by Nix »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 06:12:56 PM
I prefer the Super Tinker to the Climber. You get the t-handle phillips driver instead of the Corkscrew. That's the only difference, but i think that might matter for pocket carry. The phillips sets much more smoothly against the tool than the corkscrew.

This would also be the same for the Evo. Evo/evogrip 16 would be my recommendation.

BUT... of those you mentioned. Climber.  :climber:

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 06:19:40 PM
I´m with smiler. The Victorinox Délémont version of the Traveler is a great tool, imo more useful than the Climber because of the nailfile. Then again the Compact is slender and lightweight in comparison.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 06:31:01 PM
Here is the honest MTO answer.  It's not which do I buy it's which do I buy first! Sak's are not monogamist and are affordable so get both!

Pretty much this. Although I have both, I prefer the Climber. Heavier and lacking the nail file but the nail file in the Compact is not that good. Also, you get an extra blade and opener tool (along with the screwdrive possibilities). I also swapped my Climber scales, so it also has the pen and pin, plus the mini SD.

:salute: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pl Offline GreenFish

Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 09:43:41 PM
Thank you all for advice. Those Delemonts are great but I will stick to the Climber or Compact at the moment because I can buy them 30% cheaper than regular price. I think I will choose Compact. I thought this over and I think that in a future I will buy myself some bigger 4 or even more layered SAK for backpack or beltpouch carry. Compact will be therefore a nice supplement  with it's unique design.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 09:45:01 PM by GreenFish »

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #13 on: December 22, 2017, 09:51:12 PM
Hi I'm looking for a new SAK. I'm struggling between choosing Climber and Compact. What are your opinions?

For a year I was EDCing Pioneer X but now I want to buy a classic celidor SAK. It will be of course used for a pocket carry. The tools I've most used on Pioneer X were scissors, bottle opener, main blade and a that great awl!

I find myself more drawn to the Compact due to the fact it has only 2 layers and that gives him a very slim and attractive look. I  also like the fact that it has nail file on the hook - that was the thing I was missing on Pioneer X. But is it big enough to be comfortable to use (for nails only)? I also like the idea for combo tool because I never used can opener.

As for the Climber it has more tools and everything I need except nail file. I wonder about the small blade, is it really that necessary? It has awl but I don't think it will be as useful as the Pioneer X one due to the placement and design.

Thanks for your opinions
Why are you tired of the Pioneer X? Is it the weight?

Let's see... You use a bottle opener but have no need for a can opener. You'd like a nail file and scissors. You have and use the P/X's awl.

Why not supplement the P/X with a Rambler, or Manager if you'd like a pen? Awesome tools in tiny packages that can ride on your keyring. Both have effective nail files (with small flat screwdriver that doubles as a #1 and #2 Phillips) and bottle openers with bonus magnetized #00 to #1 Phillips on the tips. You get a second, small blade, handy at times and a useful backup. Scissors also - don't underestimate these small beauties! I wouldn't be without my Rambler - only because I don't have a Manager!

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Rambler
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Manager

If the P/X is now a non-EDC because of the weight and/or size, how about an 84mm knife? I carry a Sportsman. Only two layers and very light. Super pocketable. Also with nail file (instead of a small blade) and corkscrew to hold a mini screwdriver. And an awl. I've never used a P/X so can't compare awls but the Sportsman's one is OK for me, although sometimes it's a pain having it on the back of the knife. The Sportsman's nail file makes a really good probing tool. The can opener has a surprisingly strong #1 to #2 Phillips at the tip.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Sportsman

Combine the Sportsman with a Rambler/Manager and you have a potent combination, easy for EDC.

To summarize:
-- bottle opener: Sportsman, Rambler/Manager
-- nail file: Sportsman, Rambler/Manager
-- awl: Sportsman
-- scissors: Rambler/Manager
-- large and small blades: Sportsman + Rambler/Manager
-- pen (handy in my opinion): Manager
-- easy pocket carry: Sportsman

If you really must have just one knife and can live without an awl, I'd get a Compact.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 09:53:57 PM by Sawl Goodman »
Rambler

pl Offline GreenFish

Reply #14 on: December 22, 2017, 10:05:33 PM
No I am not tired of it, it's great and very sturdy. I know alox are a lot heavier but I don't notice it in my pocket. I usually have it in the small pocket in my jeans. The thing is alox was my first SAK but I have that need to own classic cellidor one. I just don't feel I will have complete experience with SAK's without owning a one :)

Your advice is great but at the moment I cannot afford buying 2 SAK's at once.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 10:07:01 PM by GreenFish »

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #15 on: December 22, 2017, 10:24:17 PM
No I am not tired of it, it's great and very sturdy. I know alox are a lot heavier but I don't notice it in my pocket. I usually have it in the small pocket in my jeans. The thing is alox was my first SAK but I have that need to own classic cellidor one. I just don't feel I will have complete experience with SAK's without owning a one :)

Buy used! ;) That's how I've bought all my SAKs. That way a Rambler and Sportsman combo is likely to be cheaper than a new Compact. Depending on your location, maybe even way cheaper.
Rambler

pl Offline GreenFish

Reply #16 on: December 22, 2017, 10:31:20 PM

Buy used! ;) That's how I've bought all my SAKs. That way a Rambler and Sportsman combo is likely to be cheaper than a new Compact. Depending on your location, maybe even way cheaper.

I'm from Poland. I already tried to look for a used Rambler/Manager, even asked Polish forum knives.pl if anyone has it. Seems it's so great tool rarely anyone wants to sell it : ) And the new one costs almost the same as Compact with 30% discount I have been offered.

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #17 on: December 22, 2017, 10:39:19 PM
I'm from Poland. I already tried to look for a used Rambler/Manager, even asked Polish forum knives.pl if anyone has it. Seems it's so great tool rarely anyone wants to sell it : ) And the new one costs almost the same as Compact with 30% discount I have been offered.
Ouch! Ebay's been a good friend to me. Especially if you find a seller with many items and combined shipping.

How about only buying a new Rambler/Manager to supplement the P/X?  They're in cellidor, just small. Though they won't look pretty for long on a keyring! Cellidor scratches easily at the best of times anyway. You'll have to accept this if you want to use your knife. ;)
Rambler

pl Offline GreenFish

Reply #18 on: December 22, 2017, 10:59:27 PM
Ouch! Ebay's been a good friend to me. Especially if you find a seller with many items and combined shipping.

How about only buying a new Rambler/Manager to supplement the P/X?  They're in cellidor, just small. Though they won't look pretty for long on a keyring! Cellidor scratches easily at the best of times anyway. You'll have to accept this if you want to use your knife. ;)

Well that's a problem most sellers on ebay are from USA or Western Europe, the shipping costs are quite high.

As for scratches I had this problem with my  P/X. It fell few times on a concrete floor leaving marks. With cellidor I think it's not a problem because you can easily replace scales. Alox is different story.

I will think about that Rambler/Manager. Eventually I wanted to also have it :D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 11:01:39 PM by GreenFish »

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #19 on: December 23, 2017, 05:44:40 PM

Thanks for your opinions
Why are you tired of the Pioneer X? Is it the weight?

Let's see... You use a bottle opener but have no need for a can opener. You'd like a nail file and scissors. You have and use the P/X's awl.

Why not supplement the P/X with a Rambler, or Manager if you'd like a pen? Awesome tools in tiny packages that can ride on your keyring. Both have effective nail files (with small flat screwdriver that doubles as a #1 and #2 Phillips) and bottle openers with bonus magnetized #00 to #1 Phillips on the tips. You get a second, small blade, handy at times and a useful backup. Scissors also - don't underestimate these small beauties! I wouldn't be without my Rambler - only because I don't have a Manager!

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Rambler
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Manager

If the P/X is now a non-EDC because of the weight and/or size, how about an 84mm knife? I carry a Sportsman. Only two layers and very light. Super pocketable. Also with nail file (instead of a small blade) and corkscrew to hold a mini screwdriver. And an awl. I've never used a P/X so can't compare awls but the Sportsman's one is OK for me, although sometimes it's a pain having it on the back of the knife. The Sportsman's nail file makes a really good probing tool. The can opener has a surprisingly strong #1 to #2 Phillips at the tip.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Sportsman

Combine the Sportsman with a Rambler/Manager and you have a potent combination, easy for EDC.

To summarize:
-- bottle opener: Sportsman, Rambler/Manager
-- nail file: Sportsman, Rambler/Manager
-- awl: Sportsman
-- scissors: Rambler/Manager
-- large and small blades: Sportsman + Rambler/Manager
-- pen (handy in my opinion): Manager
-- easy pocket carry: Sportsman

If you really must have just one knife and can live without an awl, I'd get a Compact.
Sawl,  you are so wise. This was going to be my suggestion. I have a Climber Plus,  and use the small blade more than the large one. 
Pioneer X and 58mm is a cheap solution and you will always have the 58mm on your keys.
Otherwise,  the Evo seems like a great one-knife solution.
I want a Compact for jeans carry due to the size, but haven't spent the money because of the hook, and because I have Wenger that's close to the Compact (knife,  combo tool,  tweezer and tooth pick).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 06:49:48 PM by Mizedog »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: December 23, 2017, 06:11:03 PM
The hook is the whole reason to get the Compact.  :climber:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #21 on: December 23, 2017, 07:19:00 PM
The hook!
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #22 on: December 23, 2017, 08:29:35 PM
The hook!
(Image removed from quote.)
I know,  I know.  It holds the pen, it carries plastic bags,  paint cans,  slips into cracks to grab things.  But...
If I'm carrying a Compact,  it's because I'm less likely to be doing heavy work, and in a civil situation. I think it's time to figure out how to turn the hook into something different. But,  what?

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #23 on: December 23, 2017, 11:12:17 PM
Ok, IMHO it comes down to two things:
-Do you need the awl?
-Are you carrying other screwdrivers?

Since my Compact is escorting one of my Leathermans, I feel that sacrifcing the stronger large screwdriver is worthwhile. And since the Rebar (my usual tool) has an awl in it, the loss of the awl wasn't that big of a deal.

As for the Tinker or Super Tinker, the backside philips is good to have, BUT. The corkscrew I find useful for a variety of tasks and it holds the micro driver- I wear glasses, so that is useful. If you don't have glasses, then just remember that you can easily over torque the backside philips. Pay your ticket, take your chances.

Of course, the best answer is to go custom. Dual opener/inline philips layer on twin backsprings, and put a 93mm awl in with the blade, along with the scissors/hook layer and corkscrew.  :whistle:
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #24 on: December 23, 2017, 11:21:29 PM
I have one of each I'm selling, if interested.  Both with Plus Scales, black and unused.

We can do a deal if you take both.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=74288.0

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 11:24:24 PM by this_is_nascar »
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

pl Offline GreenFish

Reply #25 on: January 23, 2018, 02:04:41 PM
Thank you all for advice!

I initially ended buying red scaled Compact which I enjoy very much. It's very lightweight and packed with all tools necessary for me.  :like:

but...

I have also a Climber!  :climber: After creating this thread Nix contacted me offering to send me his Climber so I would have an easier choice. He just told me to buy Compact which is great SAK and sent me beautfiul black scaled Climber. Today I have received it  :mail: I must say it's great SAK. I think it will stay in my pocket for long time. Thank you Nix again, I really appreciate this!

Here's Compact with his new brother:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 02:18:17 PM by GreenFish »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #26 on: January 23, 2018, 02:49:31 PM
That Nix is a good man!  :cheers:

I was going to offer to make you a Climber but he beat me to it.  :ahhh

Let us know what you think of them both GF  :salute:

'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: January 23, 2018, 04:21:14 PM
The hook!
(Image removed from quote.)
I know,  I know.  It holds the pen, it carries plastic bags,  paint cans,  slips into cracks to grab things.  But...
If I'm carrying a Compact,  it's because I'm less likely to be doing heavy work, and in a civil situation. I think it's time to figure out how to turn the hook into something different. But,  what?

Huh... you do know the Climber also has the hook, right?...

:pok: :pok:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: January 23, 2018, 04:23:13 PM
It pretty much boils down to:

Openers vs. Combo tool
Small blade vs. Nail file in hook
Awl vs. Pen

(not exactly the correspondence, but you get the idea...)

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: January 23, 2018, 04:38:44 PM
It pretty much boils down to:

Openers vs. Combo tool
Small blade vs. Nail file in hook
Awl vs. Pen

(not exactly the correspondence, but you get the idea...)

For me, it's more a question of 2 layers vs 3 layers.

I have an older Cimber with no hook ( :cry: ), but with plus scales and a pen. I could see doing a mod to have a Climber with a hook nail file or a nail tool in place of the small blade. The Compact has such great capability for a two layer SAK, and sometimes two layers is just a bit more comfortable to carry.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%