Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman BO Wave with Bit Kit for $29.20 and free ship (Too good to be true?)

chrono · 26 · 1184

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leatherman-Wave-Military-Black-Multi-Tool-W-Molle-Sheath-Bit-Kit-Pocket-Clip/112712149949

I plunged in on this one. Seller is old 2005 vintage, with 13 feedbacks as buyers. Zero feedback as seller. No recent feedback. I encountered eBayers with good feedback score going rouge before.

So, maybe a hacked old account? I dunno. Maybe I am stupid, or I am still in holiday bargain hunting mode. Paid with credit card to get 1% cash back,

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
I do not believe these can be legit.  But it is still tempting.   :cheers:

us Offline gregpost

I ordered one with Paypal. I'm sure PayPal will refund the money if it's a scammer.

Says seller sold 32 and 5 are left. Who has 37 Black Oxide Leatherman Waves laying around? Seems way too good to be true, now the wait.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 08:50:32 PM by gregpost »

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
I ordered one with Paypal. I'm sure PayPal will refund the money if it's a scammer.

Says seller sold 32 and 5 are left. Who has 37 Black Oxide Leatherman Waves laying around? Seems way too good to be true, now the wait.

One of the tricks I encountered with a crook a few months ago was, he/ she sold items at deep discount, then sent empty boxes. Lucky for me, my "empty box" somehow got misplaced by FedEx, so I got my money back fairly smoothly as "Item not received". The sale price, which is much lower than trending price, is your ally. If you receive a package, take some general pictures of it, put it on a scale and take picture prior opening it. I had some great deals before. If this is true, it will be top of my list.

us Offline gregpost

I loaned out my Wave and don't expect to ever get it back. I paid $25 for my new stainless steel Wave and that was a great deal, this one has a bit-kit and is BO.  Worth a shot in the dark.

The sale price, which is much lower than trending price, is your ally. If you receive a package, take some general pictures of it, put it on a scale and take picture prior opening it. I had some great deals before. If this is true, it will be top of my list.

The fact so many were sold as well, if eBay has any integrity and it's a scam many of the purchasers will complain, it has to show up in their system when a seller sends multiple bogus items or fails to deliver.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 11:28:27 PM by gregpost »

us Offline Tarheelpwr

I agree.  I'm not too optimistic it's real, but we'll see.  Just in case it was, I ordered a second  :multi:  I got shipping notification saying they'll be here Friday, so we'll see.

Worst Case, the CC I funded PayPal with will let me dispute the charge no questions asked. 

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
I got a tracking number as well. Listing location was in Indiana, but shipping started in South Carolina? Mine is priority, so the sender is out at least $6 something. There are 29 buyers, so unless everybody received the same tracking number, the seller is out at least $175 for shipping. I actually expected an eBay shark to come in and buy out the whole inventory. Surprised to see lots of 1-piece buyers.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
I'm certain it is a scam.  :(

It is a straight copy of this (legitimate) listing:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/171782351335
If I'm dubious, as well as looking carefully at feedback I also do a search for any listings with the same heading (including recently ended ones)

Remember that if you paid via paypal or credit card this scammer now has some known "good" details that they can try and scam directly or sell to other criminals, so even if ebay or paypal refund you doesn't mean you are completely out of the woods. I'd watch out for unauthorised transactions in the future.

I have reported the listing to ebay as "possibly fraudulent" so hopefully this may save some people from being scammed.

Remember everybody, if it seems to good to be true, then it probably isn't true.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 09:39:34 AM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Yup, it is a fake listing. I got an email from eBay about it, and eBay specifically asked to open a case, which I did. As you said, I did not do my due diligent on this one by checking the heading  :facepalm: Low price and old account blinded me. So yeah, they got my email, address, and home phone  :facepalm: They should not have access to my credit card though, as it was processed by Paypal. The only way they can do real damage is to be able to log in into my Paypal account and my email account at the same time. I probably see email spams for cruises, Smurfpills, and strip clubs... in a near future  ???

Interestingly, I got a working tracking number, showing a shipment on the move. What tracking numbers do you guys have? Mine is 9405509699939562527314 . Let's see if we get the same number  :facepalm: Wanna meet up for a package opening party  :D?

us Offline Tarheelpwr

Looks like all the tracking is the same.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
I'm certain it is a scam.  :(

It is a straight copy of this (legitimate) listing:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/171782351335
If I'm dubious, as well as looking carefully at feedback I also do a search for any listings with the same heading (including recently ended ones)

Remember that if you paid via paypal or credit card this scammer now has some known "good" details that they can try and scam directly or sell to other criminals, so even if ebay or paypal refund you doesn't mean you are completely out of the woods. I'd watch out for unauthorised transactions in the future.

I have reported the listing to ebay as "possibly fraudulent" so hopefully this may save some people from being scammed.

Remember everybody, if it seems to good to be true, then it probably isn't true.

This is exactly the purpose of these listings.  Not the first time this issue has come up here, and I'm certain it won't be the last. Guys, do yourselves a favor and stop biting on these scams with the idea that you're protected. Ebay and PayPal can't get your address and associated payment information back from the scammers.

us Offline gregpost

Things like names, addresses, and social security numbers are already available quite easily online and on the darknet, for every single American.

au Offline gregozedobe

Things like names, addresses, and social security numbers are already available quite easily online and on the darknet, for every single American.

Maybe so, but why willingly give extra info (confirmed current address, paypal id, ebay id etc) to bad guys ?

I really can't understand the "It's such a good deal I'll take a chance that it is legit" mentality when there are so many obvious red flags.  Is it just a form of greed ? ie not wanting to miss out, despite the risks ?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 09:09:51 PM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!

If these things had no value, the scams would stop.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
This also makes it a big headache for Paypal and credit card companies because they have to spend the time and money to do reimbursements!  If you KNOW if it is too good to be true, then why put these companies in the position to lose money?  They will just increase fees and rates to get their funds back eventually so alot of folks pay!

us Offline gregpost

This thread certainly took a turn to the sanctimonious.

:ahhh

That being said I didn't know about the copied listing. That is the red flag to me and I would have skipped.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 10:22:01 PM by gregpost »

au Offline gregozedobe

That being said I didn't know about the copied listing. That is the red flag to me and I would have skipped.

Just trying to help our fellow MTo members avoid problems further down the track.

I have quite a few Red Flags that I consider before buying.  Here are some of the things I've often noticed on scam listings (not every single one on every scam listing):

1  Way too cheap for a fairly common but desirable MT.  Usually is described as "New" condition
2  Usually a Buy It Now only sale
3  Multiple copies of the same tool for sale in the one listing
4  Free shipping
5  Zero (or very few) recent +ve feedback as a seller
6  Seller only recently joined ebay (or has been inactive for quite some time)
7  Is copied from a legitimate listing (often one with some extras, eg sheath, bits, lanyard ring etc)
8  Seller is located in China (but might be trying to appear as if in the US)  NB Most China-based sellers are legit, but some are definitely not :(
9  Has a seller Id that is all numbers (they can't even be bothered to make up a name)
10  Usually doesn't have many other listings, but if there are any they look dodgy as well.

Watching out for these has helped me avoid some scammers. I have still found some real bargains at times, but sometimes you just know it makes sense to walk away without buying.

Now if I could only get USPS to deliver the service I paid for I'd be much happier  ;)

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Now if I could only get USPS to deliver the service I paid for I'd be much happier  ;)

Tell me about it. USPS just delivered yet another parcel of mine to the wrong street   :rant:
The only reason I even know where it ended up is the resident of that address took the trouble to contact me themselves.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...

Just trying to help our fellow MTo members avoid problems further down the track.

I have quite a few Red Flags that I consider before buying.  Here are some of the things I've often noticed on scam listings (not every single one on every scam listing):

1  Way too cheap for a fairly common but desirable MT.  Usually is described as "New" condition
2  Usually a Buy It Now only sale
3  Multiple copies of the same tool for sale in the one listing
4  Free shipping
5  Zero (or very few) recent +ve feedback as a seller
6  Seller only recently joined ebay (or has been inactive for quite some time)
7  Is copied from a legitimate listing (often one with some extras, eg sheath, bits, lanyard ring etc)
8  Seller is located in China (but might be trying to appear as if in the US)  NB Most China-based sellers are legit, but some are definitely not :(
9  Has a seller Id that is all numbers (they can't even be bothered to make up a name)
10  Usually doesn't have many other listings, but if there are any they look dodgy as well.

Those are pretty much what I live by on eBay. However, I let my guard down this time due to seller ID being of old member, and with feedbacks. The package got delivered somewhere in California. So, did the scammer need to ship something that direction and just conveniently ran a scam along the way?

Just got my refund from eBay today.

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
Arrr.. I hate scammers.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Here we go again https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leatherman-Wave-Military-Black-Multi-Tool-W-Molle-Sheath-Bit-Kit-Pocket-Clip/292390096667
 Even cheaper yet, at $28.98, pretty much free shipping worldwide
So it is a thing now to hack credible eBayer ID and run a scam? This eBay ID "calli362" has 20 feedbacks as buyers, as late as 6 months ago.

au Offline gregozedobe

Here we go again https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leatherman-Wave-Military-Black-Multi-Tool-W-Molle-Sheath-Bit-Kit-Pocket-Clip/292390096667
 Even cheaper yet, at $28.98, pretty much free shipping worldwide
So it is a thing now to hack credible eBayer ID and run a scam? This eBay ID "calli362" has 20 feedbacks as buyers, as late as 6 months ago.

Looks like that listing has already been removed by ebay, so someone is on the ball.

Bloody scammers will do anything to make a quick buck......

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
When I first began on MTO I'd spent quite a lot of time on the bay of fleas.  I'd search high and low for deals so I could add to my collection.  What I've learned from fellow MTOers has already been said so I wont repeat it.  Guys, Greg is a good man.  He's also a very savvy user of fleabay.  I've used his advice myself and have never had an issue with buying from fleabay.  Yes there are some killer deals to be had and there are some items mis identified which end up selling for low.  Good luck all.   
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline gregozedobe

Thanks Aloha  :tu:

I'm not certain why, but my alarm bells started tinkling slightly when I looked at this listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/232615030239

The only things I noticed that raised my suspicions were that the listing title was identical to another legit listing, the seller has been inactive as a seller for over 12 months and it was intially listed with a Buy it now price of $100.00 which is a bit low. 

Maybe I'm just being a bit over-cautious after seeing too many scam listings ?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
I wasn't aware of all the subtle and non subtle scams until I began to listen to you all.  Whenever my spydie sense tingle I walk.  There is no way I'm volunteering my info for any deal.  We have members posting really good deals all the time so some of these really insane deals seem even more insane when I've looked at them.  Admittedly I havent bought from fleabay in a while but only cause my collection grew rather quickly. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline JustinCase

Another one of those Leatherman Wave Military Black Multi Tool W/ Molle Sheath +Bit Kit +Pocket Clip ... :whistle:  The seller started the auction less than 24 hours ago and already sold 11 of them at $30 each. Wow!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leatherman-Wave-Military-Black-Multi-Tool-W-Molle-Sheath-Bit-Kit-Pocket-Clip/173102073605?epid=2158716176&hash=item284db00705:g:TBEAAOSwhcNaXYzR

GONE!...Already removed by eBay!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 07:28:02 PM by JustinCase »
“It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I try a little longer to solve the problem"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%