Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mini Mag Lite LEDs

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Mini Mag Lite LEDs
on: February 17, 2007, 05:32:59 AM
No, not the upgrade kits...I'm talking about the ones Mag Lite put out.  Anyone own/used any of the mini Mag LEDs?  How do they compare to the (basic) upgrade kits you can get at Target/Wal Mart/etc?  How do they compare to other small LEDs in that price range? 

I own a 4D Mag LED...and it's like a spotlight.  Very clean white light from mine.  I took my old 3D krypton Mag, spray painted the end silver, and put it on the front floor of my car.  A week or two later I got a flat tire.  At night.  Until I put the Mag in there, the only light I had was a Mini Mag knockoff by Nikota :-X  The Mag came in handy indeed.
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Mini Mag Lite LEDs
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 04:27:51 AM
I've seen the Mini-Mag LED lights at the store. I don't have one though. The display had the LED lights hanging right next to the regular Mini-Mag lights. They are both the same diameter, both use two AA batteries, but the LED flashlights are a half inch or so longer.  (I wonder why?)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 04:42:46 AM
You might have seen a 3 AA version...I don't think there was a krypton version with 3AA.

They were kind of expensive if I remember correctly at Target..like $20+ bucks...
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 04:47:37 AM
I'm going into town tomorrow, I'll check it out. I'm thinking that the regular and LED lights I saw were both two AA models.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 04:52:19 AM
Here's a comparison picture I copied off the MAGlite website.
pdmain_magliteLED_new.jpg
* pdmain_magliteLED_new.jpg (Filesize: 110.57 KB)

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 06:54:34 AM
I've got the Mag 2AA LED.  In my opinion, the output is comparable to the Terralux bulb.  As for how it compares, it's cheaper than most other 2AA LED's that I know of.  There are cheaper ones, but I haven't seen any that have as good of output.  (I by no means have seen them all)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 12:52:31 PM
I just might have to find myself grabbing one of those soon too... just for test purposed you understand... for the good of the community....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 05:05:57 PM
If you already have a minimag, NiteIze has a single 1 watt luxeon mini-mag upgrade with or without the IQ Switch. The IQ switch has five different brightness levels you can go between. Also, I don't think the minimag led works with the NiteIze IQ switch.
http://www.niteize.com/category.php?category_id=28

Just another option for your consideration.

mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 05:27:50 PM
Yeah, I compared the Nite Ize kit, the Terra Lux kit and the Vic 2AA LED light here:

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=122&Itemid=35

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 05:43:19 PM
You used the NiteIze 3-LED conversion kit, not their newer Luxeon I offering. The NiteIze 3-LED's are not Luxeons, I think they are simple 5mm Nichia's so it should be dimmer. But I think the NiteIze Luxeon I is fairly new as it was presented at the 2007 SHOT show.
http://www.equipped.org/shot_show_2007_LED_flashlights-4.htm

I like the NiteIze 3_LED version though. Has a very long run time. 20 hours claimed by the manufacturer and is plenty light for getting around the house at night when my eyes are adjusted to the dark. It doesn't make a bad dark corner light either, doesn't blind you when you're trying to see what you need to do.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 05:49:04 PM by mike »

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 05:46:43 PM
Yeah, I compared the Nite Ize kit, the Terra Lux kit and the Vic 2AA LED light here:

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=122&Itemid=35

Def

That was the old Nite Ize kit (well they still do it) but they have recently come out with a 1 watt single led version. i've ordered one, and have the 3 led version aswell, i can try and do a comparison if you would like when it gets here.

Roadie

Edit: Beaten to it! but the offer still stands. anyone got any tips for photographing torch beams??
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 08:03:20 PM
Jeez, what is this, beat on Def Day?  :D

Bans all around! :P

Seriously, I wasn't aware there was a new series out from Nite Ize.  I am glad to see it after seeing the results of the old kit.  Sure it beat the pants off the old incandescent bulb, but it was pretty disapointing for an LED light, especially one with three LEDs in it.

Glad to see they are doing something about it.

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 08:09:58 PM
Are Nite-Ize upgrades made in USA?  China?
[

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 18, 2007, 08:31:34 PM
Their site says they are based out of Boulder Colorado. And their "About" section says ... " Nite Ize, Inc., based out of beautiful Boulder, Colorado is the leading manufacturer of innovative accessories in the United States." But the back of the packaging says "Made in China". Seems a little misleading huh?
Go here Nite-Ize and click on their package picture, scroll down until you get a closeup of the back.

mike

« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 08:45:41 PM by mike »

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #14 on: February 18, 2007, 09:42:52 PM
haha, that's like big bold letters over a waving American flag on something I seen recently saying DESIGNED IN THE USA!

Key word being "designed" ::)
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: February 18, 2007, 11:01:41 PM
You have to be careful with that stuff... I used to have a US flag that was made in the Phillipines or something...

Def

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #16 on: February 18, 2007, 11:03:04 PM
Hehe... I think my flag was made in Malaysia...
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%