Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Share your simple bushcraft/campfire recipes

eamo · 54 · 5994

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
on: December 28, 2017, 02:55:12 PM
Dunno if this has been done before but what the title says - lets see your simple campfire/bushcraft recipes
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Share your simple bushcraft/campfire recipes
Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 03:18:57 PM
An MRE.  8)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 03:27:48 PM
you know when you've been Pablo'd  :facepalm:

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 05:33:45 PM
Campfire Apple Cobbler.

Canned cinnamon apple pie filling, Pack of cinnamon rolls.

Heated dutch oven on coal bed, added pie filling. Placed cinnamon rolls over top of pie filling evenly spread. capped and covered lid With coals.

Around 20 minutes or so depending on the heat of your coals and the rolls should be a good golden brown. Add icing and enjoy the delicious mess
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 08:52:13 PM
Steak caveman style.

Recipie:

-Make fire

-Make pointy stick with knife.

-Put stick through meat.

-Hold meat over fire with stick until you think its ready to eat.

-Eat. :D
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 07:43:05 PM
thanks guys for contributing :) 

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 08:28:41 PM
Buckwheat (half cup), red lentils (half cup), jerky broken up into bits, seasoning, two or two and a half cups of water.

The combination of buckwheat and lentils is seriously belly busting but packs very lightly and with very little bulk in the pack. Add the meat and it's really tasty!
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 08:50:36 PM
I thought this video might be good, here.

Jas. Townsend and Sons makes videos on cooking from the perspective of 18th century recreationists. This is a video on revolutionary war soldier's rations, and how to make 'ash cakes' from the flour ration.

This is a dead simple recipe, and he shows 3 methods of cooking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f55ZjXt7rrc

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 08:56:28 PM
Buckwheat (half cup), red lentils (half cup), jerky broken up into bits, seasoning, two or two and a half cups of water.

The combination of buckwheat and lentils is seriously belly busting but packs very lightly and with very little bulk in the pack. Add the meat and it's really tasty!

I love lentils. Even without soaking, they'll cook in about 40 minutes. If you soak them first, which doesn't even take that long, maybe an hour, then they cook in 20-30 minutes. I'm talking about the largish green lentils. I'd bet split little red lentils cook super fast.

I've never used buckwheat, but DO cook my lentils with rice, and yeah, super filling, super cheap, and lightweight.  :tu:

Because of that shorter cook-time, I've never really been sure why lentils aren't loved more by the survivalist/prepper type folks. Food with less cook time so less fuel resources required to cook? Seems like a win to me. Plus, you know, you get to eat sooner. :D

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 09:30:26 AM

I love lentils. Even without soaking, they'll cook in about 40 minutes. If you soak them first, which doesn't even take that long, maybe an hour, then they cook in 20-30 minutes. I'm talking about the largish green lentils. I'd bet split little red lentils cook super fast.

I've never used buckwheat, but DO cook my lentils with rice, and yeah, super filling, super cheap, and lightweight.  :tu:

Because of that shorter cook-time, I've never really been sure why lentils aren't loved more by the survivalist/prepper type folks. Food with less cook time so less fuel resources required to cook? Seems like a win to me. Plus, you know, you get to eat sooner. :D

Red lentils will cook in 10-15 minutes, without any soaking. Makes them perfect for the outdoors! Try buckwheat some time. Cooks faster than rice, tastes a bit nutty and is hugely filling. I'm a recent convert and a big fan!

"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 09:33:16 AM
Another thing I like, if you take carrots and potatoes, slice super thin straight into the pot, they don't take all that long to cook. Somewhat bulky to pack but not hugely given that you don't really need any packaging for them.

I'm trying to work out a way to lightly pack baked beans. The cans make it rather bulky and heavy but it's such a great outdoors food. Baked beans, slice in hot dogs, add sachet of BBQ sauce, great outdoors meal!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 03:01:28 PM
I'm trying to work out a way to lightly pack baked beans. The cans make it rather bulky and heavy but it's such a great outdoors food. Baked beans, slice in hot dogs, add sachet of BBQ sauce, great outdoors meal!

Dehydrate them. Baked beans reconstitute very well, I understand.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 05:19:51 PM

I'd kill for a dehydrator. Just think of all that jerky! :D

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 05:45:14 PM

Interesting you mention buckwheat, here in the US when I bring buckwheat to lunch everyone asks me what I’m eating.  In the former Soviet Union,where I was born, this was our daily staple.

I also recently read that they are popular in China.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 05:47:42 PM by Zhenchok »
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 05:47:53 PM

I've never been to Isreal,I've always imagined it hot and dry - would air drying work for jerky ?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 06:34:41 PM by eamo »

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 05:59:55 PM
I would love to also hear people’s coffee routine while camping.  How do you brew it/ grind the beans.  In my 20’s when I used to go camping a few times a month, for me food prep was more about being outdoors and a quick meal. My meals were good but it was about making them quick and on the cheap. Now that I unfortunately dont go anymore, due to mostly having small kids and no time, I’ve really improved my cooking skills and appreciate cooking outside.  I learned how to make gourmet meals and appreciate the whole process. To get back to coffee I think that I would hand grind the beans at home for the trip and take a pour over cup or my aero press.  Back in the day it was a matter of either using instant or boiling Folgers in hot water. 

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 06:02:34 PM by Zhenchok »
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 07:44:07 PM

I've never been to Isreal,I've always imagined it hot and dry - would air drying work for jerky ?

Wet, rainy and foggy right now but technically yes. There are some South African ex-pats making and marketing Biltong here. Man but it's good stuff! I would worry that it has to be done right though and by those with experience otherwise potty time?

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 10:37:44 PM
I don't really have a favourite but I know what I'll never eat again as long as I live, Rat Packs! (or MRE's) for the Americans. Yes they are high in calories but they are also cheap, flavourless (brits get a bottle a Tabasco just to give it ANY flavour). They also have a nasty little secret, they bung you up. Any Brits here old enough to remember 'Biscuits Brown'? or AB  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:   
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 12:15:32 AM
I would love to also hear people’s coffee routine while camping.  How do you brew it/ grind the beans.  In my 20’s when I used to go camping a few times a month, for me food prep was more about being outdoors and a quick meal. My meals were good but it was about making them quick and on the cheap. Now that I unfortunately dont go anymore, due to mostly having small kids and no time, I’ve really improved my cooking skills and appreciate cooking outside.  I learned how to make gourmet meals and appreciate the whole process. To get back to coffee I think that I would hand grind the beans at home for the trip and take a pour over cup or my aero press.  Back in the day it was a matter of either using instant or boiling Folgers in hot water. 

It's kind of expensive but the Starbucks Via instant coffees are supposed to be REALLY good.

When I was camping, I'd just tie some coffee grounds into coffee filters, kind of making big teabag type things, one for every morning. I wasn't going to mess with grinding on the trail, and back then, I had never heard of coffee presses. I'd just pour boiling water into my cup, over the grounds in the filter, let it soak for a bit and remove the bag and enjoy. I'd always go overboard with the amount of grounds, so even a not-terribly-long soak got me some serious coffee.

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #19 on: January 03, 2018, 03:47:22 AM

It's kind of expensive but the Starbucks Via instant coffees are supposed to be REALLY good.

When I was camping, I'd just tie some coffee grounds into coffee filters, kind of making big teabag type things, one for every morning. I wasn't going to mess with grinding on the trail, and back then, I had never heard of coffee presses. I'd just pour boiling water into my cup, over the grounds in the filter, let it soak for a bit and remove the bag and enjoy. I'd always go overboard with the amount of grounds, so even a not-terribly-long soak got me some serious coffee.

I’ve had the Starbucks Via, good stuff.  I thing In the rest of the world it’s called Turkish coffee

gb Offline daverobson

Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 01:58:15 PM
I would love to also hear people’s coffee routine while camping. 

Being the type of person who needs coffee first thing in the morning I've been using coffee bags while out in the woods.

* 41KKdR0sDoL._SX385_.jpg (Filesize: 20.03 KB)

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 02:13:02 PM

Being the type of person who needs coffee first thing in the morning I've been using coffee bags while out in the woods.

That’s kind off a cool idea. How does it taste?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 05:17:47 PM
I've done coffee several ways.  Cowboy, press, instant, bag, and non at all  :whistle:.  Making a coffee "tea bag" is a good way to go about it.  I found the Folgers bags on discount and wanted to give them a try.  They work fine but making your own is just as easy.  Instant is fine too.  I drink tea as well so coffee is not a must for me.   
IMG_4045.jpg
* IMG_4045.jpg (Filesize: 199.85 KB)
IMG_4046.jpg
* IMG_4046.jpg (Filesize: 155.39 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline daverobson

Reply #23 on: January 04, 2018, 01:53:03 PM

The No.3 makes an excellent cup (for my taste).
There are 2, 3, 4 & Decaff.

2 is described as "Light & Smooth", 3 is "Rich & Full Bodied", 4 is Dark & Intense" & Decaff is a waste of time!

lyons-coffee-bags.jpg
* lyons-coffee-bags.jpg (Filesize: 69.81 KB)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 01:54:49 PM by daverobson »

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: January 04, 2018, 04:20:14 PM

The No.3 makes an excellent cup (for my taste).
There are 2, 3, 4 & Decaff.

2 is described as "Light & Smooth", 3 is "Rich & Full Bodied", 4 is Dark & Intense" & Decaff is a waste of time!

Where you get those Dave ? I've never noticed them in the shops here

gb Offline daverobson

Reply #25 on: January 04, 2018, 06:03:40 PM
Where you get those Dave ? I've never noticed them in the shops here

I've bought them from large supermarkets over here, they're also available on the internet.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: January 30, 2018, 09:40:15 PM
just giving a general bump, lets see more of your recipes and thanks those of you who've shared :2tu:

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: February 06, 2018, 11:19:46 AM
WARNING!!!!!!

When you buy something in a little bag, you don't know what was put in there.......

I was on a local brand of coffee bag for several years, took the stuff being out of stock once to realize the health issue I was dealing with was caused by a little coffee bag....... :facepalm:

And no, quantity had nothing to do with it, I used it due to convenience and as soon as I went back to normal filter coffee things immediately got better.

I can see nothing wrong with some good filter coffee in a convenient "tea bag", just saying they always add some poison..... :facepalm:

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: February 06, 2018, 09:27:04 PM
what was the problem Gerhard - as in, was it the coffee or the bag it was in or some additive they were adding ??

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: February 06, 2018, 09:31:50 PM
A couple of mine i tried over the weekend - my daughter got me a tiny little skillet for Christmas and it was my first time using it - sorry no pics but i'll fix that next time

2 bananas 1 egg whisked up and poured into a small skillet with a little bit of olive oil
banana with some chocolate buttons pushed into it then wrapped in tin foil and put onto the coals of the fire - looked gross but tasted very nice
standard bannock a lá Ray Mears on a stick or skillet

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44