Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Share your simple bushcraft/campfire recipes

eamo · 54 · 5946

Offline Mawktheone

Re: Share your simple bushcraft/campfire recipes
Reply #30 on: May 30, 2018, 11:43:03 PM
A couple of mine i tried over the weekend - my daughter got me a tiny little skillet for Christmas and it was my first time using it - sorry no pics but i'll fix that next time

2 bananas 1 egg whisked up and poured into a small skillet with a little bit of olive oil
banana with some chocolate buttons pushed into it then wrapped in tin foil and put onto the coals of the fire - looked gross but tasted very nice
standard bannock a lá Ray Mears on a stick or skillet

Im not sure if a bananna omelette sounds great or awful..

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: May 31, 2018, 08:45:03 AM
A couple of mine i tried over the weekend - my daughter got me a tiny little skillet for Christmas and it was my first time using it - sorry no pics but i'll fix that next time

2 bananas 1 egg whisked up and poured into a small skillet with a little bit of olive oil
banana with some chocolate buttons pushed into it then wrapped in tin foil and put onto the coals of the fire - looked gross but tasted very nice

I'll go for the latter. I'll eat a banana but don't want to taste it any other way. :)
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #32 on: June 15, 2018, 06:06:16 PM

I'll go for the latter. I'll eat a banana but don't want to taste it any other way. :)

it wasn't that bad :) don't knock it til you've tried it !  :D
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #33 on: July 13, 2018, 01:26:28 PM
Sounds delish! Nice recipe Eams  :cheers: Can't go wrong with eggs banana and chocolate buttons!
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Iron Man 2

• I'm Iron Man☺😎
Reply #34 on: August 09, 2018, 04:06:39 AM
Ha ha!
Hello Beastie.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: October 24, 2018, 08:29:13 PM
Not so much campfire but more lazy man: 1 can of chili, 1 spork. Open can, lower spork into can and devour.  :drool:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: November 20, 2018, 05:42:43 PM
WARNING: POSSIBLY A REALLY BAD IDEA AHEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :ahhh

If I remember correctly there was a video of how heat the contents of a can on a open fire. The guy stepped on the can to bend it and put it on the coals and waited for the boiling content to expand the can to the original shape. You have to take the can off the coals then as any further heating would cause it to explode. I don't know what is wrong with simply opening the can and heating it in the that way. ALSO, THIS METHOD REALLY SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD WAY TO GET YOUR FACE MELTED OFF WITH THE BOILING CONTENTS OF THE CAN.

:D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 05:45:56 PM by lister »
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #37 on: November 20, 2018, 06:02:38 PM
 :facepalm:

And most cans seem to be lined with a plastic-like coating. Doesn't look yummy, to me.  :dunno:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #38 on: November 20, 2018, 06:24:13 PM
Aren't the contents of canned food cooked in the can to begin with?  :whistle:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #39 on: November 20, 2018, 06:33:55 PM
Ahh, I think we just gained a little insight into Fuzzy hirsute appearance........  :facepalm:

For starters, can makers don’t recommend using their products for anything but storing food unopened until it’s ready to eat. “Cans are reliable, recyclable, durable packages that keep beverages and foods fresh and allow them to be transported safely for thousands of miles, even into remote regions—but they were not made to be used as cooking containers,” says Scott McCarty of Colorado-based Ball Corporation, a leading U.S. food and beverage packaging maker.

Proponents of can-cooking cite the fact that many canned goods are already heated up in their cans to kill bacteria during the canning process, so what harm could a little more heating do? McCarty concedes that some cans are indeed heated during the packing process. “But that isn't all cans or all foods, and it is a carefully controlled and monitored process done in an environment that is made to do it.”  [From Scientific American]

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: November 20, 2018, 06:35:35 PM
In order to prevent any such leaching—which is bad for the food and eater but also for the can (as it can cause corrosion)—the insides of most cans on grocery shelves today are coated with food-grade epoxy. But these liners have been shown to contain Bisphenol-A (BPA) and other potentially harmful chemicals. BPA is a synthetic plastic hardener that has been linked to human reproductive problems and an increased risk of cancer and diabetes. A 2009 analysis of common canned foods by the non-profit Consumers Union found measurable levels of BPA in a wide range of items including some bearing a “BPA Free” label. [Same Sci Am article as above]

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #41 on: November 20, 2018, 06:38:55 PM
Ahh, I think we just gained a little insight into Fuzzy hirsute appearance........  :facepalm:

For starters, can makers don’t recommend using their products for anything but storing food unopened until it’s ready to eat. “Cans are reliable, recyclable, durable packages that keep beverages and foods fresh and allow them to be transported safely for thousands of miles, even into remote regions—but they were not made to be used as cooking containers,” says Scott McCarty of Colorado-based Ball Corporation, a leading U.S. food and beverage packaging maker.

Proponents of can-cooking cite the fact that many canned goods are already heated up in their cans to kill bacteria during the canning process, so what harm could a little more heating do? McCarty concedes that some cans are indeed heated during the packing process. “But that isn't all cans or all foods, and it is a carefully controlled and monitored process done in an environment that is made to do it.”  [From Scientific American]

No... self abuse.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: November 20, 2018, 06:40:13 PM
thought that was a myth....... :facepalm:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #43 on: November 20, 2018, 06:57:00 PM
Evidently not... sigh...

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #44 on: December 23, 2019, 03:10:11 AM
I would love to also hear people’s coffee routine while camping.  How do you brew it/ grind the beans.  In my 20’s when I used to go camping a few times a month, for me food prep was more about being outdoors and a quick meal. My meals were good but it was about making them quick and on the cheap. Now that I unfortunately dont go anymore, due to mostly having small kids and no time, I’ve really improved my cooking skills and appreciate cooking outside.  I learned how to make gourmet meals and appreciate the whole process. To get back to coffee I think that I would hand grind the beans at home for the trip and take a pour over cup or my aero press.  Back in the day it was a matter of either using instant or boiling Folgers in hot water. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before you leave the house grind your coffee Turkish, (so fine you could snort it), fill your cup 3/4 full will boiling water, stir in as much coffee as you want.  When it's strong enough, pour cold water till the cup is full and the grounds will sink to the bottom.  It's just that simple and it's a lot better than instant.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: December 29, 2019, 07:01:03 PM
:facepalm:

And most cans seem to be lined with a plastic-like coating. Doesn't look yummy, to me.  :dunno:
:dwts:

us Online Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #46 on: January 25, 2020, 02:18:38 AM
Just came across this... good stuff! :tu:
Barry

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: April 13, 2020, 07:27:25 PM
Cervelat - the Swiss national sausage - tastes great over the embers grilled.
Add bread with salty garlic-tomato-oil and make crispy over the embers.

If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: April 13, 2020, 09:07:51 PM
Simple as steaks with vegi. 

* IMG_8198.jpg (Filesize: 26.28 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Online Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #49 on: April 13, 2020, 09:24:25 PM
 :tu: :drool: :drool: :tu:
Barry

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #50 on: April 13, 2020, 09:31:53 PM
 :drool: :drool: :drool: and thats from a veggie
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #51 on: April 13, 2020, 09:38:03 PM
We alway go big on vegi. 
Esse Quam Videri

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: April 14, 2020, 09:47:38 AM
Cervelat - the Swiss national sausage - tastes great over the embers grilled.
Add bread with salty garlic-tomato-oil and make crispy over the embers.

(Image removed from quote.)

:like: :like: :like:

I love Swiss sausage, it's the first thing I get hold of when I visit my sister in law in Zurich. Go to the butcher and load up for the flight home.  :cheers:
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: April 14, 2020, 10:58:25 PM
:like: :like: :like:

I love Swiss sausage, it's the first thing I get hold of when I visit my sister in law in Zurich. Go to the butcher and load up for the flight home.  :cheers:

:cheers:  :tu:   :salute:
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24