Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

PST Knockoff (Lynn's $5 MT Challenge)

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
PST Knockoff (Lynn's $5 MT Challenge)
on: December 23, 2017, 08:32:06 PM
This Thread is part of a Challenge, to see what the best multitool I could find for $5 was. Here's the thread to the challenge so you can see other contenders.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75094.0.html

This tool will not win that challenge. Sorry if that's a spoiler, but... wow.

I purchased this tool used from a local pawn shop for $4.

All right. What do we have? This is a generic version of the Leatherman PST. So, I'm going to call this no-name generic the PSTKO (PST Knock Off)

The PST is a pretty rock-solid basic design that has had a million imitators copying it. I love the simplicity of the design. I like that every cheap copy I've ever come across has had steel pins holding it together, which, right there puts it in a class above most Swiss Army Knife knockoffs. However, if you REALLY try, you can even screw up THIS design, and the people who made this put herculean effort in apparently.

I am going to compare this thing to two other PST knockoffs I have, the Sheffield 1200E, and the High Uinta.

I reviewed the High Uinta here:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,39450.msg660720.html

And here's a thread where I compare the Sheffield 1200E against the actual Leatherman PST.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,36892.0.html

The long-and-short of it is that this is not as good as the High Uinta, the High Uinta is not as good as the Sheffield, and the Sheffield is not as good as an actual Leatherman PST.

But... Stay tuned for why, and you might save yourself some heartache at the pawn shop.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Re: PST Knockoff (Lynn's $5 MT Challenge)
Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 09:16:41 PM
I need to start the review of the functions of this tool off with the biggest disappointment.

All the flathead drivers fail. All of them. And all for the same reason. That reason also severely cripples the can opener.

And the reason is none of these tools have been tapered or given an edge. Here's an up-close look at the two largest drivers' tips. They won't slot into screws, because the tips are as thick at the metal stock it's stamped from.

The problem continues with the can opener. Here's a look at where the edge should be on it.

I DID get the can opener to finally punch through a can, but it was terrible, and trying to get it to open a can up after the initial puncture was still horrible.

The High Uinta PST knockoff i mentioned in the previous post is almost identical to this tool. It looks like almost every part could have come from the same stamps. But they took the time to taper the screwdrivers, so whatever other problems the tool might have, it at least had SOME function, where the screwdrivers on this, the PSTKO are worthless, at least as screwdrivers. Here's a pic comparing the two. Note the taper on the drivers of the one with silver handles (The High Uinta)

It's crap like this that makes me want to hurt people!  :rant:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 09:41:47 PM
So... (sigh)

After 15 minutes in the garage with a dremel and file.

The screwdrivers at least now can be TESTED.

And the Can opener has been given an edge.

And? How are they?

Terrible. The metal of the larger flathead (combo with can opener) torqued badly on a moderately difficult screw.

Okay. Well, how about the can opener? Not much improvement there, either. Legitimate quote while testing: "God-smurf it. You are a Smurfing Smurf of a tool!" Regardless of the edge, and somewhat better piercing ability, the tool's blade is still too parallel to the can surface, meaning it STILL requires a lot of force to puncture, AND it's still terrible about not being good at hooking the can's rim, so it just jumps off the can.

Okay. To be fair, the can opener IS a functional BOTTLE opener. Which is good, because the bottle opener CAN'T OPEN BOTTLES!  :rant: :rant: :rant:

Nice that they cut a big f'ing hole in the large flathead, compromising its strength to put a 'tool' on the MT that simply doesn't function at all. It's like the shape of the cap lifter had been vaguely seen by the stamp maker. The gap between the lever and the hook is not enough to fit the cap into, and even if it were, the hook is a big fat round blob, not an actual hook.

Cap lifter vs bottle cap: 100% FAIL!

Remember in the last post when i said the High Uinta was 'almost identical'. The cap lifters are JUST different enough that the High Uinta one works (not well, but works) and the PSTKO doesn't.

I swear to you all, when I'm done with this review, I'm throwing this thing into the recycling bin.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 12:20:39 AM
That tool is not even worth 4$ new.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 04:11:26 AM
Okay. I've ragged on this thing enough.

So, what's GOOD about it?

The blade was ragged paper-cutting sharp when I got it. I was pretty quickly able to bring it up to able to cleanly cut receipt paper.

Then I dissected a cardboard box with it.

After cutting up the box, I took it back to the receipt paper, and it still cut smoothly.

Okay, so that's the GOOD news about the blade. It cuts, and will hold an edge at least for a while.

The BAD news about the blade is that there is essentially ZERO blade retention. ANY force on the back edge will collapse it. The only thing holding it open is the friction from the tightness of the tools against each other.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 04:22:08 AM
Another good feature of this thing?

The Pliers

Solid, almost no play in the pivot. The jaws are slightly set off, not quite meeting in alignment at the nose, but it's not bad.

I don't know how to describe the way the jaws come together. It looks like this...

It works better in some applications and worse in others. I can't really say good or bad with it.

So, the task I gave it was to cut and shape a wire coat hanger into the bail for a billy can.

Yeah. They work. I'd call them 'reluctant' to cut wire coathanger with the wire cutters, but this is pretty much the most I would ever ask from wire cutters on a no-name MT.

I will be testing its ability on nuts later. It's late, and I ain't gonna go out in the dark/cold/wet evening for THIS crap. :D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 05:49:03 AM
A few other functions.

Phillips driver.

This thing is, surprisingly, pretty well formed. It worked well on several screws, but nothing that required too much torque or pressure on the tool. I wasn't able to cause torque damage because the thing would collapse closed with only moderate force.

Still, a WIN for light duty.

And while we're not done with the tools, we ARE done with the 'good'.

So... (sigh)... God-smurfing damn it. I am sick to absolute death of fish scalers. It's not even a GOOD one. And to add insult to injury, the 'file' on it is so terrible you can't even file your nails with it.

Worthless as anything beyond pokey bit of metal.

And... finally... the awl. It would be fine if it didn't collapse under force... which you usually kind of have to apply with an awl. Very, VERY moderate pass, as very, VERY light duty tool.

Alright.

Well, what is this thing good for? The pliers are pretty good. The blade is okay, if a bit dangerous from lack of retention. The phillips is okay for light duty. And that's about it. I think this is as close to 'dumpster fire failure' as I will ever see. Or at least as close as I ever HOPE to see. Still, it at least didn't literally fall apart, which I've had happen.

I wanted to give an honorable mention to the High Uinta MT. It's available new for $5... not including shipping from Emergency Essentials as of this writing. So it failed to meet the criteria for testing, but is worth the extra few bucks over this thing. They are essentially the same tool, but in every place where this fails, the High Uinta succeeds. The drivers and can opener have all been ground properly. the cap lifter actually, and the blade comes sharp. The BAD news is, just like this tool, there's no real retention of any tool beyond the friction of the tools rubbing against each other. it's STILL a very cheap copy of a PST.

This is the first tool in this test that I don't think was worth what I paid for it. I recommend putting your money into something else.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 06:21:25 AM
Awesome read and testing, Lynn!

I have seen that same tool labeled many many things from GM multi tool with blue scales, winchester from walmart, and the best was a "Ms. Fixit multi-function-plier" from a grocery store near my house. The sheath these come in are equally terrible. One of mine tore and fell off before I even got to work from getting out of the car.
Best part is the GM and Ms. Fixit branding were geared towards mechanics and housewives. Both still have the same exact FISH SCALER and god awful toolset. The winchester branded one was at least sold as a "camp tool".
The GM one was $3 at a fleamarket, the winchester was $5 at walmart and the "Ms.  Fixit" was $10 at a grocery store bought as a gag gift. :rofl:

Thank you for the good work you do to test and use these terrible MTs for the MT community! :tu:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 08:18:44 AM
I've seen that design from several brands. I am always tempted to buy one, always thinking "how bad can it be?"
Well, pretty bad, it turns out. Thanks!  :like:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 08:26:31 AM
I've seen that design from several brands. I am always tempted to buy one, always thinking "how bad can it be?"
Pretty bad is a compliment to these tools. :rofl:

If you can get one for a few dollars, it is worth getting one, so you can appreciate good-brand MTs even more. :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 08:30:00 AM
Understand, the other two PST knock-offs I've listed are better quality. This is just the worst PST knock-off I've ever personally seen.

The High Uinta I mentioned Earlier, I feel, is worth $5. The Sheffield I got from a pawn shop for $5 and thought it was a pretty decent tool.

Something very important and interesting I've leaned from all this is that all knock-offs are not created equal.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #11 on: December 24, 2017, 08:31:43 AM
Pretty bad is a compliment to these tools. :rofl:

If you can get one for a few dollars, it is worth getting one, so you can appreciate good-brand MTs even more. :cheers:

The fish scalers prevent me from buying those. Otherwise, I'd have twice the collection I already have.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #12 on: December 24, 2017, 08:35:40 AM
The fish scalers prevent me from buying those. Otherwise, I'd have twice the collection I already have.

Whhhaaaat? EMBRACE that fish scaler!  :D

In all seriousness, I completely know where you're coming from. If I never saw another fish scaler on a tool in my life, I'd be happy. So... SO sick of them.  :facepalm:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: December 24, 2017, 10:16:15 AM
I don't know how to describe the way the jaws come together. It looks like this...

I think this is almost a perfect pliers alignement. You have the tip, that grips even the smallest things well, even if there is a bit of grime between the jaws. As soon as the object you are gripping gets thicker, you move to the back of the jaws. Look at the Spirit, its similar there. I personally think that this is a good design, very versatile.
Especially with cheap pliers, if they grip along the full jaw when closed, if they are not well done, they don't close well.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: December 24, 2017, 12:03:21 PM
Great work as always Lynn.  I agree that not all these PST inspired MTs are made equally.  I'm with Eth on the pliers as well, those look pretty good for the money and well designed.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #15 on: December 24, 2017, 06:26:54 PM
This one looks very similar to the Avalanche multitool I bought a while ago, coincidentally also for $5!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: December 26, 2017, 01:43:16 PM
I have one as well. It was my first "Leatherman." I call it "Stainless China" as that is what is stamped inside one handle. Stainless above the word China. And the last two "S"'s are larger, an  sometimes appear as if th last one is a number 6. There is a small inset square in one of the plastic scales, where they would presumebly be able to personalize, or lay in a square with a brand name or advertisement.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: December 26, 2017, 02:40:20 PM
Mine looks exactly the same except the screw drivers have some taper and will fit into screw heads. Of course, the metal is not as strong, and I twisted the tip of the smallest screw driver. Also dinged a couple teeth in the plyers.

But otherwise, this thing had lived in my freshwater tackle box for years with minimal care, and does OK.

Once I got my PST II I saw the light, of course. And I can't see wasting a nice original pst or pst 2 by leaving it in a tackle box. Maybe a Wingman.

Yeah, mine turned out to be (what I thought was) good, until the real thing came along. It was good enough to make me want to get the real one and try it, since it must be "even better."
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 02:52:21 PM by ThundahBeagle »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #18 on: December 26, 2017, 05:05:09 PM
It was good enough to make me want to get the real one and try it, since it must be "even better."

This is about what happened to me. I got a 'Sheffield 1200E', which is a PST knockoff, but to this day, it's the BEST PST knockoff I've come across. Everything on it is well formed and it's made of pretty thick metal stock.

And... ABSOLUTELY, a tackle-box is a reasonable place for tools like this, for all the reasons you mentioned. The pliers on these tools work. The blade works. That right there earns inclusion in a tool kit that might 1) get a lot of rust, and 2) Some day get lost in a lake/ocean.

If this one had better formed drivers, I'd add glovebox and emergency bag as good places for these. This particular one, though... No. :D

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 27, 2017, 08:17:12 AM
It was good enough to make me want to get the real one and try it, since it must be "even better."

This is about what happened to me. I got a 'Sheffield 1200E', which is a PST knockoff, but to this day, it's the BEST PST knockoff I've come across. Everything on it is well formed and it's made of pretty thick metal stock.

And... ABSOLUTELY, a tackle-box is a reasonable place for tools like this, for all the reasons you mentioned. The pliers on these tools work. The blade works. That right there earns inclusion in a tool kit that might 1) get a lot of rust, and 2) Some day get lost in a lake/ocean.

If this one had better formed drivers, I'd add glovebox and emergency bag as good places for these. This particular one, though... No. :D

Nice. And thanks for these run-downs. We can't all/always afford the latest and greatest. It's helpful to know if you are in a Wal-Mart last minute shopping for a hike or camp trip, what you should not - or SHOULD - buy on the cheap.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: December 29, 2017, 12:14:10 PM
Another fine review of a horrible MT :ahhh :D :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24