Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Coloured Alox?

MTG · 9 · 952

00 Offline MTG

Coloured Alox?
on: December 28, 2017, 11:19:39 PM
Hi all,

I have all the users I could ever use now, but while looking for a user farmer I started to notice the coloured Alox. I thought this may be a good way to change direction, still satisfy my consumerism and maybe buy something that holds it's value...

I see there are Victorinox runs and permanent and semi permanent, ie red and black and yearly, etc.

Corporations.

Special runs like Swiss Bianco.

Soldiers.

Others?

Soldiers are a bit out of my leage to understand at this point, with dates and coding etc. They are usually bid items and being in Australia the postage puts me out of the bidding.

But with coloured is it best to stay with Vic? Are the special runs (SB) a better option than the corporate SAK's? Or is it a matter of the individual SAK over the type?

I'm presuming with colour runs by SB it would be best to buy the whole set? Or is it best to stick to one type, ie Pioneers? Cadets? etc?

Please feel free to PM me if you prefer....

Thank you!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Coloured Alox?
Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 11:33:44 PM
A couple of years ago coloured alox prices were going up, victorinox was saying that they would not be making any more, then they started making more, for various sellers.  There is currently a plentiful supply but some older or unique models are still desirable.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

00 Offline MTG

Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 12:04:51 AM
Thank you dks  :hatsoff:

I guess like with any collectible there is the risk of a re-run after you have got in early, or paid through the teeth........ I suppose if no one uses them then the supply will stay high???

I really like the coloured Alox, but would obviously prefer them to at least keep their value adjusted for inflation. It seems to me that the older Leathermans might do that, but I don't know their RRP.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 03:10:50 PM
There are two values
First, is the tool value. Considering Victorinox has very high production numbers, it will decrease over time. Some people will pay a buck more for aesthetics (like colored Alox) but colored Alox shows wear much more than silver.
Then there is the collectors value. It goes up for smaller / more exotic runs. But at the end of the day, you need to find a collector who is willing to pay you top dollar for it. Also, collectors value is strongly depending on economy. If people have less money, more collectors items will be on the market (price will drop due to availability) and people cannot (are unwilling) to pay top prices. In hard times, no-one buys a PST if he can get a Wave for the same price. The collectors value is like the stock market. It is largely based on demand and not on the true value of the item. As such it can burst quite quickly.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 04:47:49 PM
I paid $50 for a used copper Alox model, cadet I think, and a couple of months later Vic released new ones that were going for 35, no visual difference - Do not pay more than you can afford to lose.

The Damascus alox  models do OK, though not as good as a few years ago - for 2018 they are going for red, I was told.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 09:47:12 PM
Used Companions and Secretaries can be found in a rainbow of colors, and cheap too. Provided it isn't something expensive (i.e. watchmaker's branding), they're not a whole heck of a lot more than their Cellidor counterparts.

00 Offline MTG

Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 10:20:07 PM
Thanks all  :tu:

Do you think that there is any difference between Vic runs, private and corporate runs as far as desirability?

I know I prefer No branding or Swiss Bianco to corporate logos but not sure if others feel the same  :think:. If it makes no difference then it won't to me either......

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 10:26:05 PM
Up to the individual but some corporate logos seem to go for MUCH more... like Apple for example.

I don't mind logos on my SAKs and may even prefer them sometimes...  Generally speaking though... it seems like used SAKs w/ logos go for a bit less   :salute:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

00 Offline MTG

Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 10:28:30 PM
Up to the individual but some corporate logos seem to go for MUCH more... like Apple for example.

I don't mind logos on my SAKs and may even prefer them sometimes...  Generally speaking though... it seems like used SAKs w/ logos go for a bit less   :salute:

Good to know, thank you EC :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD