Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Show pictures of your favorite gear

us Offline Zhenchok

on: December 30, 2017, 07:26:47 AM
Now that that the weather got really cold here in Michigan, I have cabin fever and can’t wait until it warms up again.  I love collecting multitools particularly Leatherman’s and my Swiss Army knives.  My motivation is to use them outside or on camping trips. I’m also into quality outdoor gear. One of my favorite gear brands that I can’t appreciate enough is my trusty Stanley thermos Classic, I use it everyday to carry my tea and coffee.  I own a few different kind but find myself using the food jar the most. Please post pics of your favorite gear and brands and maybe a backstory. I would love to get a thread going discussing various favorite camping gear wether it’s your Stanley classic thermos, mug, stove, tent, axe, etc.

Here is a pic of my Stanley food jar I use to keep my tea/ coffee hot all day. I really like the handle on it and the size is perfect for a few mugs of hot beverage at a time. I own the larger one too but don’t use it as much.

I mostly drink out of a Yeti mug, it does keep my drinks hot longer. There are many other brands that make similar products.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 07:38:16 AM by Zhenchok »
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: Show pictures of your favorite gear
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 06:35:17 PM
nice thermo!  :tu: it looks huge, like big-family size   :o
I have a no-name Chinese made shoulder bag that I love to carry in the outdoors

yu can easily attach an IFAK to the side or back via MOLLE

simple and cheap but works good and is still going strong after 3 years
When terrain is rough and the path quite rocky, I like carrying these boots, which are the appropriately called "Voyager" model from a Spanish brand

and when I foresee doing some woodwork and branch cutting I pack my Silky, usually the Gomboy but this F180 served me well for long time and took some very ugly abuse (chipping some teeth... :P) until I retired it.

I have or have had other Silky and I love the brand   :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 07:12:31 PM

and when I foresee doing some woodwork and branch cutting I pack my Silky, usually the Gomboy but this F180 served me well for long time and took some very ugly abuse (chipping some teeth... :P) until I retired it.

(Image removed from quote.)

+1 on the Silkys, just replaced my Gomboy, IMO the best portable saw available.

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 08:15:42 PM

and when I foresee doing some woodwork and branch cutting I pack my Silky, usually the Gomboy but this F180 served me well for long time and took some very ugly abuse (chipping some teeth... ) until I retired it.

I love it, this is the direction I was hoping this thread would go. I’m already learning a lot.  I never heard of Gomboy but will have to get one one day.

I own a Gerber saw that has worked for me. For bigger pieces of wood I use my trusty Gerber/Fiskars camp axe.

I’ll have to go through my gear and take pics of my stove and cookset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 08:30:44 PM by Zhenchok »
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

us Offline gregpost

Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 08:35:08 PM
The Silky saws are really good, I prefer them over the Bahco laplander that's really popular with a lot outdoor enthusiasts.

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 08:59:27 PM
The Silky saws are really good, I prefer them over the Bahco laplander that's really popular with a lot outdoor enthusiasts.

Not sure if they still sell them but a few years back I picked up a Home Depot brand HDX one that looks similar to the Silky for like 3 bucks. It worked well for the price.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 09:18:01 PM
Some of my favourite things  :tu:
20171128_100633_crop_645x465.jpg
* 20171128_100633_crop_645x465.jpg (Filesize: 282.36 KB)

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 10:11:11 PM

I can see why.  :like:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice

hr Offline styx

Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 10:34:58 PM

I expected you to break into a Julie Andrews song
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 10:51:13 PM

I expected you to break into a Julie Andrews song

only on a Tuesday  ;)  :rofl:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 11:00:37 PM
This will be my primary carry of 2018.
I carry nothing but the best.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 11:16:19 PM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 01:50:38 AM
Alas, no pics available at the moment, however  I wanted to chime in.

For day hikes, I use an Under Armour Storm backpack. It does fine for day hikes.

Longer hikes I choose between my two packs...my old Camp Trails internal frame, bought at Hilton's Tent City almost 30 years ago when I got out of school. Model Grey Wolf or Silver Wolf or something like that. They were still made in USA back then, but don't make them anymore. Camp Trails is now primarily a European owned brand, but I don't think they are popular anymore. Most recent hike with it was 4500 feet up Mount Flume.

Or my new old stock Coleman Peak1 external composite frame pack. Also most recently went up Mount Flume with me, but on my nephew's back.

For a folder, for a long time I carried a Japanese made Browning model 810. Nice clip blade rear locking. In 20 + years I've barely used it because for the last 29 years I also carried my Victorinox Super Tinker (which I bought new around the same time I bought the Camp Trails hike pack) and that has seen all the day-to-day.

Since I hike with my Beagle (we dabble in Search and Rescue training to keep his nose busy) I have a good harness for him - the Kurgo Tru-Fit. The stainless steel buckles are what they call "nesting", like an old Linesman or mountain climbing harness, and it has been crash tested. To my eyes, among the best harnesses on the market for regular folks. Maybe someday Scout will mature enough where we can actually work him in a search (we seem to divert from the subject of practice, to finding squirrels and rabbits a little too often yet).

Flashlights...I went from a 3 D cell MagLite in the early 90's to a Streamlight. Then to a Sure Fire 60 by about 1999 or so. Used that up until this year, when I invested in an LED MagLite Solitaire kept in my LM Surge sheath, a 270 lumen AA mini MagLite in my backpack, and a 100 lumen AAA mini MagLite I can keep on me if needed.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 01:56:21 AM by ThundahBeagle »

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 02:03:27 AM
Now that that the weather got really cold here in Michigan, I have cabin fever and can’t wait until it warms up again.  I love collecting multitools particularly Leatherman’s and my Swiss Army knives.  My motivation is to use them outside or on camping trips. I’m also into quality outdoor gear. One of my favorite gear brands that I can’t appreciate enough is my trusty Stanley thermos Classic, I use it everyday to carry my tea and coffee.  I own a few different kind but find myself using the food jar the most. Please post pics of your favorite gear and brands and maybe a backstory. I would love to get a thread going discussing various favorite camping gear wether it’s your Stanley classic thermos, mug, stove, tent, axe, etc.

Here is a pic of my Stanley food jar I use to keep my tea/ coffee hot all day. I really like the handle on it and the size is perfect for a few mugs of hot beverage at a time. I own the larger one too but don’t use it as much.

I mostly drink out of a Yeti mug, it does keep my drinks hot longer. There are many other brands that make similar products.

Nice Thermos, Zen. I love those things. Wish I had kept one of my older ones, as they, too are no longer made in USA. Not that that is the end-all, be-all. If they 're still good quality, that's important. Right now I'm relegated to a big plastic Brown one from Dunkin Donuts. It works, but it's not old school "workin' class Class", like Thermos is. Maybe  I will pick one up.

Nice thread to start, too, by the way. Should we keep it here or move it to Outdoor?

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 02:06:12 AM

Nice stove, Zed! Also like the old school entrenching tool. My father brought one back from Nam that we used a lot as kids. Sadly it has been lost to time, and I had to buy a new fangled version.

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 02:48:20 AM

Nice Thermos, Zen. I love those things. Wish I had kept one of my older ones, as they, too are no longer made in USA. Not that that is the end-all, be-all. If they 're still good quality, that's important. Right now I'm relegated to a big plastic Brown one from Dunkin Donuts. It works, but it's not old school "workin' class Class", like Thermos is. Maybe  I will pick one up.

Nice thread to start, too, by the way. Should we keep it here or move it to Outdoor?

Thanks for posting, I had a plastic lined coffee mug but it would keep my drink hot so I switched to the Stanley.  You are correct, my father in law has one of the older ones and it says made in the US on the bottom. It is much heavier and seems to hold drinks how longer.  Mine is made in China but I think that the  quality is just as good.

Where ever you think this lost will be better please move jt, I wasn’t sure where to post.

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #16 on: December 31, 2017, 03:03:05 AM
Alas, no pics available at the moment, however  I wanted to chime in.

For day hikes, I use an Under Armour Storm backpack. It does fine for day hikes.

Longer hikes I choose between my two packs...my old Camp Trails internal frame, bought at Hilton's Tent City almost 30 years ago when I got out of school. Model Grey Wolf or Silver Wolf or something like that. They were still made in USA back then, but don't make them anymore. Camp Trails is now primarily a European owned brand, but I don't think they are popular anymore. Most recent hike with it was 4500 feet up Mount Flume.

Or my new old stock Coleman Peak1 external composite frame pack. Also most recently went up Mount Flume with me, but on my nephew's back.

For a folder, for a long time I carried a Japanese made Browning model 810. Nice clip blade rear locking. In 20 + years I've barely used it because for the last 29 years I also carried my Victorinox Super Tinker (which I bought new around the same time I bought the Camp Trails hike pack) and that has seen all the day-to-day.

Since I hike with my Beagle (we dabble in Search and Rescue training to keep his nose busy) I have a good harness for him - the Kurgo Tru-Fit. The stainless steel buckles are what they call "nesting", like an old Linesman or mountain climbing harness, and it has been crash tested. To my eyes, among the best harnesses on the market for regular folks. Maybe someday Scout will mature enough where we can actually work him in a search (we seem to divert from the subject of practice, to finding squirrels and rabbits a little too often yet).

Flashlights...I went from a 3 D cell MagLite in the early 90's to a Streamlight. Then to a Sure Fire 60 by about 1999 or so. Used that up until this year, when I invested in an LED MagLite Solitaire kept in my LM Surge sheath, a 270 lumen AA mini MagLite in my backpack, and a 100 lumen AAA mini MagLite I can keep on me if needed.

Thanks for the details, I actually had the Coleman Peak 1 pack you are talking about, I took it on two two week hiking trips in the upper peninsula Michigan.  One year I took it to the Porcupine Mountains and another to Pictured Rocks. It held upwell until a few years later I lent it to a friend to take on a cross Europe trip.  When. I got it back it was still good but it was time for a new pack.  I now have a Eastern Mountain Sports pack I’ve been using over 15 years, it holds well and I think I paid like $35 bucks for it on clearance it was used as a rental pack.  I actually have a new Osprey pack waiting for me for the last 10 years but why use it if my EMS one works well.

For my knife I always take my Leatherman PST, I’ve had it since 1997 and it brings back many memories. Now that I own a SAK farmer, I will start taking it along as well.

For a flashlight I always bring my Petzl headlamp and an AA led maglite. I also have a few white gas Coleman lanterns, my favorite is a small Coleman Peak 1 that is about a 3rd the size of the standard one.  Even though the white gas technology is now obsolete.

As far as for stoves go, I have an MSR Dragonfly and recently acquired an MSR firerocket as well as a backup. If I’m going on a day trip I’ll usually take my Coleman double burner stove that I picked up for $3 bucks practically new at a garage sale.

My kids are too young to go on weekend trips, so I’ve been daydreaming about camping trips for the last few years. We do take them on day trips often in the summer.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 03:09:41 AM by Zhenchok »

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: December 31, 2017, 03:48:14 AM
Hi Zen

By no means am I anybody who decides what posts go where. Just thought of the outdoor area, as this seems to be a thread that will cast a nice wide net on outdoor gear. Glad you posted it.

Maybe I will pick up one of those Thermos again.

I agree with you, why go to a new pack if the old one is still good. Then again, the new stuff is even lighter...

My stoves are just a Primus classic and Coleman Peak1 keychain, both the kind that work on the butane domed canisters. I've been eyeballing those old Coleman Peak1 multi-fuel stoves that were issued to the Marines,  but they are big. Can take all sorts of different fuels though. Good in a disaster or bug out, or even car camping situation...not so small and light for mountain hike or camp.

I've carried a SAK for near 30 years, and a knockoff before that. I've had a knockoff PST for almost 20 years but it mostly lived in my tackle box. Now I've got a PST 2, and two PST' s. Love them. Real testaments to the "Keep It Simple, Stupid!" mantra.

Around here, Eastern Mountain Sports has closed almost all of their stores, which is sad. And wierd, because this is where they started.

At least you will be well prepared for when your kids are ready for overnights. A few nice overnights in a tent in the back yard, and that'll get them ready for the bigger back yard.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #18 on: December 31, 2017, 03:54:01 PM

and when I foresee doing some woodwork and branch cutting I pack my Silky, usually the Gomboy but this F180 served me well for long time and took some very ugly abuse (chipping some teeth... ) until I retired it.

I love it, this is the direction I was hoping this thread would go. I’m already learning a lot.  I never heard of Gomboy but will have to get one one day.

I own a Gerber saw that has worked for me. For bigger pieces of wood I use my trusty Gerber/Fiskars camp axe.

I've read and heard so many good things about Fiskars hatchets, they seem really popular among outdoors enthusiasts and campers.

My experience with Fiskars is also good, but in the form of  a orange-black plastic handled saw with sliding blade mechanism and a wheel on the bottom end to fix the blade locked, as well as a carabiner attachment in the butt, model SW74 (Xtract)  :salute:

It's the only folding saw that has rivaled and equaled my Silky saws in use so far   :ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #19 on: December 31, 2017, 05:36:30 PM
Hi Zen

By no means am I anybody who decides what posts go where. Just thought of the outdoor area, as this seems to be a thread that will cast a nice wide net on outdoor gear. Glad you posted it.

Maybe I will pick up one of those Thermos again.

I agree with you, why go to a new pack if the old one is still good. Then again, the new stuff is even lighter...

My stoves are just a Primus classic and Coleman Peak1 keychain, both the kind that work on the butane domed canisters. I've been eyeballing those old Coleman Peak1 multi-fuel stoves that were issued to the Marines,  but they are big. Can take all sorts of different fuels though. Good in a disaster or bug out, or even car camping situation...not so small and light for mountain hike or camp.

I've carried a SAK for near 30 years, and a knockoff before that. I've had a knockoff PST for almost 20 years but it mostly lived in my tackle box. Now I've got a PST 2, and two PST' s. Love them. Real testaments to the "Keep It Simple, Stupid!" mantra.

Around here, Eastern Mountain Sports has closed almost all of their stores, which is sad. And wierd, because this is where they started.

At least you will be well prepared for when your kids are ready for overnights. A few nice overnights in a tent in the back yard, and that'll get them ready for the bigger back yard.

You are right all the EMS stores closed here too over 15 years ago, there was one a mile from my house and I used to go there all the time.

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #20 on: December 31, 2017, 05:38:47 PM

I've read and heard so many good things about Fiskars hatchets, they seem really popular among outdoors enthusiasts and campers.

My experience with Fiskars is also good, but in the form of  a orange-black plastic handled saw with sliding blade mechanism and a wheel on the bottom end to fix the blade locked, as well as a carabiner attachment in the butt, model SW74 (Xtract)  :salute:

It's the only folding saw that has rivaled and equaled my Silky saws in use so far   :ahhh

The  Fiskars hatchet is great, it holds up well but the metal is rather easily dented.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #21 on: January 01, 2018, 10:36:49 AM
My favorite gear includes SAKs, Opinels, and camo jackets.
collage42a.jpg
* collage42a.jpg (Filesize: 151.42 KB)
DSC06798-camo-wear-25a.jpg
* DSC06798-camo-wear-25a.jpg (Filesize: 366.56 KB)

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #22 on: January 01, 2018, 06:23:58 PM
My favorite gear includes SAKs, Opinels, and camo jackets.

Very nice Rob.  I’ve seen a few Opinels in this site.  Who makes them and where can I get one? I have never seen any in the stores and love the look of their simplicity.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #23 on: January 01, 2018, 06:27:10 PM
The Opinels are made in France. They can be found in stores all over Europe, and on the internet. They´re cheap and very much worth their money.

There´s an entire Opinel thread in the ´Edged Tools´ subforum.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,30307.0.html

And the Opinel home page
https://www.opinel.com/en
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 06:43:56 PM by Ron Who »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62