Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A few Wenger 120mm knives.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
A few Wenger 120mm knives.
on: July 08, 2011, 02:41:26 AM
There is something to be said about big things.  in the SAK world, the truly big is represented by the Wenger 120mm line. I have always had a soft spot for this series by Wenger. I am not sure if it is the size of the blades/tools or the comfort of the handles. Either way, I just like them. In fact, when it was time to make something special for my recently departed companion, I went with a larger Wenger.

Well enough of the babbling and onto the few knives that I do own. This is not all of them, but a good portion nonetheless.  I think I have a little of everything, and this should get you a good overall picture of the series. Well that is my aim anyways. :)

For the first knife, I am going to start with the smallest that I have, a non-serrated Ranger Century with Boy scouts of Canada emblem. It features the Wenger side lock mechanism. A nice clean single blade knife.

The second knife, a beautiful Ranger 10 Century with woodsaw in RealTree camo featuring a removable pocket-clip.  All of the tools are gray anodized and rather smart looking.

The third knife in this roundup is a 3 layer Mountaineer featuring the sidelock, as do all older Wenger 120mm knives.

The forth knife is a NewRanger model. NewRanger models have done away with the slider sidelock mechanism, in favour of a simpler push button locking mechanism that uses the Wenger emblem.  The RangerGrip 61 shown here in red scales feature a corkscrew on the back and a one hand opening main blade. The NewRanger series also feature ergonomic handles.  I like these ergonomic scales. The knife melds to your hand, and is very comfortable. Also, RangerGrip models feature rubber inserts that make the knife a lot grippier and comfortable to hold.

The fifth knife in this small walkthrough is a RangerGrip 178. This knife features a Phillips driver on the back and a one handed opening main blade that complements the saw. This example is in OD green scales.

The sixth knife is a RangerGrip 179 Patagonian Expedition Race knife. This beautiful yellow number has special rubber inserts. Yellow and black look stunning.

Next up is a 3 layer  NewRanger 172 Gardener.  I must say, if you don't own one of these 120mm Wenger Gardener models (there are several), you don't know what you are missing. The scissors are both ingenious and awesome to use and fold away.

The eight knife is a sailors delight. The Alinghi  176 seen here has a Phillips driver on the back to complement the marlin spike, ingenious pliers, and one hand opening partially serrated knife blade.

The last knife is a Mike Horn. Named after a renowned explorer to his specifications, this 4 layer knife resembles the Alinghi above. Instead of a marlin spike, you get a second blade, but only the main serrated blade locks. The scales are a bit different, consisting mostly of wood fiber. Also, there is a 1/4" hex shaped hole towards the rear that accepts driver bits, much like the Wenger SwissGrip. A nice added feature.

Here is a photo showing you the size differences from a 4 layer to a 1 layer.

Well there you have it, a short romp through some of Wenger's 120 mm knives. If you haven't tried one of these yet, you should.  :salute:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 02:45:43 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Re: A few Wenger 120mm knives.
Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 04:58:09 AM
Gorgeous collection and pictures as usual.  I bet you never get rid of that RangerGrip 61 dedicated to Sabien.  My father had a cat named Sabien once, it was stark white and absolutely evil, unless he wanted attention then he was only slightly evil but would still bite you if you moved the wrong way.

Thanks for the pics, makes me really like that RangerGrip 178.  Posts like this are invaluable to the site.
:)

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 05:37:53 AM
Amazing collection my friend!!! :drool:
I'm really looking forward to get one of those MH's, they seem to be awesome I just wished they had a longer file and a wood saw!

Can't thank you enough for the pics, you've made my night, I'll probably have sweet dreams  :tu:

za Offline meanx

Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 07:11:27 AM
Very nice Chako,like that Ranger 10  :drool:
Rest is not idleness,
and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day,
listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky,
is by no means a waste of time

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 03:40:20 AM
That's a great Ranger Round-up there!

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 01:17:16 AM
Just discovered yet another of Chako's fabulous posts   :tu:

:like:  The post - Thanks Chako   .... and

:like: / love the Rangers!!

And I have even got one of them - The Patagonia - Great SAK

Was always a little confused over the 120/130mm lengths
...... Are the 130 handles really longer/different - or is it just the key ring attachment point that makes the difference   ???
SAKWiki seems to imply the latter !

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 02:29:45 AM
How do the pliers compare to traditional MT pliers on comparable sized tools?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%