Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Considering big lot and selling off piece meal

ca Offline benbergman

Considering big lot and selling off piece meal
on: December 30, 2017, 05:40:31 PM
I'm new here and wanting to try out a few tools before settling on something to carry every day. Am I crazy to buy a lot of a ton of tools and sell off the ones I don't want to keep?

I'm currently considering this bundle: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F272991870513

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: Considering big lot and selling off piece meal
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 06:23:58 PM
I think it'd take you a while to make back your investment, and if it goes much higher, over $600, I'd say it'd be fairly hard to recover the cost.

However, it's a pretty good selection of Leatherman tools to try out. Too bad it's not just one from each line, instead of multiples.

Good luck on your bidding. :salute:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 07:57:48 PM
Welcome to the forum  :cheers:

I wouldn't do it. You would be lucky to make your money back and half the fun of collecting is the hunt.

ca Offline benbergman

Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 09:30:19 PM
Thanks for talking me off the ledge. I think maybe I'll pass on it for now and keep an eye out for deals on specific tools that interest me.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 09:40:02 PM by benbergman »

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 06:09:33 AM
Good thing you did not go for that lot. Unless you are really serious about selling on eBay, do not go for things like this. The listing ended at $851, which I think too high. The thing I did not like about that lot is the absurd amount of cheap tools: Micra, Wingman, Style, Squirt... You will be extremely lucky to make that money back, and it will take a long time. Instead, you should go for quality, not quantity.

If you have some cash to burn, and want to start a collection, try this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/322947781314

That listing has a Charge Tti, three REI-exclusive Signal, and a Surge. That Signal will go up in price once REI discontinues them. $150/ea 2-3 years from now is not unrealistic.

The seller offered me $500, which is fair if you consider buying individually. I did not take it. Seller has zero feedback, but I think he/ she is legit.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 06:31:11 AM by chrono »

ca Offline benbergman

Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 06:18:52 AM
Thanks for the link. That seems like a great option for collecting. I'm looking more for something I can beat on daily, possiply mod, so cheap unit cost is my aim over item quality. Right now I'm thinking a Skeletool would serve my needs for the most part (paired with a Squirt ES4) but am curious to try out some of those big names like the Surge, Signal, or Charge.

I'll keep my eyes open for something more specific to my needs rather than the big catch I was drooling over earlier.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 06:38:58 AM
I see. Good thing is eBay are bountiful of those. Personally, I do not like to spend a lot of time on cleaning and resharpening, so quality is of concern when buying used tools.

Skeletool and Squirt are good budget tools. I have a PS4 on my keychain, the darn thing is so handy.

You should try Craigslist occasionally too.

us Offline Tarheelpwr

Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 05:04:28 AM
I see. Good thing is eBay are bountiful of those. Personally, I do not like to spend a lot of time on cleaning and resharpening, so quality is of concern when buying used tools.

Skeletool and Squirt are good budget tools. I have a PS4 on my keychain, the darn thing is so handy.

You should try Craigslist occasionally too.

CLcan be a good option. Dallas seems to be a good area if you're OK dealing like that. I just picked up a NIB Rebar/Micra combo for $40 + $5 shipping.

There was a nice condition MUT in that area for like $70ish

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD