Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber suspension and other variant Club :-)

Zed · 96 · 5227

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Gerber suspension and other variant Club :-)
on: December 30, 2017, 07:53:49 PM
Ok not started a club in a long time ,so although I know the suspension gets mixed reviews and Mainly bad,I've never joined in as prefer to try a MT out for myself  :tu: any other fans of the suspension and other variants  :tu:
20171230_162443_crop_540x540.jpg
* 20171230_162443_crop_540x540.jpg (Filesize: 243.27 KB)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Gerber suspension and other variant Club :-)
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 08:23:54 PM
It was a good tool.
Just broke to fast. :/

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 08:36:48 PM
It was a good tool.

I know MT's limitations and there just backup or if I'm too far from a dedicated tool,I never overload the pliers or drivers as know they can break,but most of these tools have warranties  ;) This won't see a lot of action as I'll probably put it in my tackle box,but I will test it out  :salute:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 08:46:32 PM
It was a good tool.

I know MT's limitations and there just backup or if I'm too far from a dedicated tool,I never overload the pliers or drivers as know they can break,but most of these tools have warranties  ;) This won't see a lot of action as I'll probably put it in my tackle box,but I will test it out  :salute:
Dropped it once and one of the pins broke off :)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 08:59:23 PM
It was a good tool.

Dropped it once and one of the pins broke off :)

:-\  I've had a few issues over the years even with leatherman and Sog, the last Dog I had was a disappointment as the bolts kept loosening up so I applied locktite to solve that issue,I then bent the wood saw  :facepalm: no biggy as did that to my wave as well  :D but these cost more than a suspension so will see  :salute:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 05:11:15 PM
Not all at once people... form a line please...

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 05:20:53 PM
Not all at once people... form a line please...

I didn't think it would be one of my most popular clubs  :rofl: although some people probably just don't won't to admit they have one  ;) me nah I'm fine with it tried so many and nothing for me is as good as a wave ,but I've not tried another MT since the powerplay and that was a disappointment  :-\ I'm sure to a point this will but I'll only be treating this as a light duty MT at this price range  :tu:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 05:29:49 PM

If you just keep it in a tackle box or as a back-up I'm sure it's got value for the money.
When mine was dropped, a pin broke in half which I repaired myself with a tiny bolt.
The second drop busted the piece that puts pressure on the pliers when opened. This meant that the pliers became unusable, knocking it out of action.
Magentus now has it's saw in his MP600 :D

Bottom line is that those parts aren't made of steel. It seems to me like they're made of cast metal. I'm sure that if it DIDN'T drop, it would still be going.

Then again, I recently dropped my second hand Swisstool X (bought it as a replacement at half the price a new Suspension would cost me. It was also the same price of shipping the Suspension back to the main retailer for repairs)
And guess what? The Swisstool survived... my floor tile didn't :facepalm:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 05:47:55 PM

If you just keep it in a tackle box or as a back-up I'm sure it's got value for the money.
When mine was dropped, a pin broke in half which I repaired myself with a tiny bolt.
The second drop busted the piece that puts pressure on the pliers when opened. This meant that the pliers became unusable, knocking it out of action.
Magentus now has it's saw in his MP600 :D

Bottom line is that those parts aren't made of steel. It seems to me like they're made of cast metal. I'm sure that if it DIDN'T drop, it would still be going.

Then again, I recently dropped my second hand Swisstool X (bought it as a replacement at half the price a new Suspension would cost me. It was also the same price of shipping the Suspension back to the main retailer for repairs)
And guess what? The Swisstool survived... my floor tile didn't :facepalm:

Yeah some of these MT's are like tanks ,I don't expect much of the suspension but just a handy backup,I can't afford to have lots of expensive MT's in different packs so this is a cheaper option  :tu:

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 08:11:50 PM
My Suspension was the first Gerber my I ever had, and it's served me well for quite a few years now, The design has had it's issues, but I have no complaints about mine. Great thread Z! :tu:
DSCN3495.JPG
* DSCN3495.JPG (Filesize: 285.2 KB)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 08:16:47 PM by Spartan19 »
Send In the spartans

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 09:09:39 AM
My Suspension was the first Gerber my I ever had, and it's served me well for quite a few years now, The design has had it's issues, but I have no complaints about mine. Great thread Z! :tu:

Glad it served you well Spartan  :salute:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 02:03:50 PM
When I first spied a Suspension, I had assumed it was Gerber's take on the standard Chinese multi-tool design...but with locking tools. I am still unsure which came first design wise. I know the Suspension came out in 2005. Either way, the Suspension did spawn quite a few different models that differ only in the handle design, except for the Thread which is the only multi-tool of the Suspension family that is different. I do recall that there was great discussion on various big box stores putting in their order for different handles versions to be different from the other competitors. I think the rarest and hardest to come by is the blue Crux which was an exclusive from one of the American store chains.

It took me some time, but I was able to dig up these 2014 photos I took. I haven't used one as an EDC, although I do know someone who has locally, and seemed for the most part be ok with the model. Personally, I have always found these a bit bulky, and the tool selection in regards to size and spacing to be a bit short and wide. Not designed to compete with the MP series from Gerber, I was always a bit shocked at the high sticker price that the Suspension sold for in Canada...retailing for around 45 to 55 Canadian dollars. All other models were sold in the US and thus I had to get them south of the border. With that said, everyone sold the Suspension up here in Canada.

Suspension.

Ripstop.

Bear Gryll's Ultimate Multi-tool.

Evo.

Tread.

Resolve.

Crux.

Crux Blue.

Method.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 02:07:11 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 02:28:27 PM
Wow Thanks Dan  :salute: I should have known by now that you would have them all  :salute: I didn't know they did so many variants  :o the treads a interesting looking version , is there nothing in the other handle ?

I think Ganzo should have a separate club? But as this is in the Gerber section  :salute:
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 02:29:46 PM by Zed »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 02:52:31 PM
Only an LED flashlight which uses the locking lever as an on/off button.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 02:53:38 PM
Only an LED flashlight which uses the locking lever as an on/off button.

Thanks Dan  :salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 02:59:39 PM
That Bear Grylls model never failed to crack me up name-wise. My idea of an Ultimate multi-tool is far from a gussied up Suspension.  :rofl:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 03:15:56 PM
That Bear Grylls model never failed to crack me up name-wise. My idea of an Ultimate multi-tool is far from a gussied up Suspension.  :rofl:
+1...

As long as it sells I guess...

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: January 01, 2018, 03:21:31 PM
And sold it did I am sure. The Suspension itself is probably one of Gerber's most sold and successful MTs. I mean, it was literally sold everywhere, even in places you wouldn't expect to find a multi-tool.

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 01, 2018, 03:40:42 PM

Glad it served you well Spartan  :salute:

Thanks Zed :cheers:
Send In the spartans

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: January 01, 2018, 04:25:35 PM
who doesn't like black and orange  ;)  :rofl: but yes the Ultimate Multitool  is a bit much,personaly i dont think it exists,well it does in a MTO members own mind  ;)

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 02, 2018, 01:29:24 AM
who doesn't like black and orange  ;)  :rofl: but yes the Ultimate Multitool  is a bit much,personaly i dont think it exists,well it does in a MTO members own mind  ;)
[/quote

:rofl: true that! Will the ultimate mt ever exist?! :D
Send In the spartans

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #22 on: August 27, 2018, 05:54:05 AM
I joined recently.   I don't usually buy Gerbers.  This one was in a lot with a Paladin that I wanted.  I am actually pleased with acquisition.  It is a lot higher quality than I originally assumed.
IMG_0540.JPG
* IMG_0540.JPG (Filesize: 101.34 KB)
IMG_0541.JPG
* IMG_0541.JPG (Filesize: 79.2 KB)
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: August 27, 2018, 06:25:50 AM
I joined recently.   I don't usually buy Gerbers.  This one was in a lot with a Paladin that I wanted.  I am actually pleased with acquisition.  It is a lot higher quality than I originally assumed.

I think I know which auction that was. I was watching it but I fell asleep! I blame it on different timezone! A pretty good deal that u got there I would say!!

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #24 on: August 27, 2018, 07:00:28 PM

I think I know which auction that was. I was watching it but I fell asleep! I blame it on different timezone! A pretty good deal that u got there I would say!!

Thanks!  :salute: :cheers:
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

Offline stugumby

Reply #25 on: October 11, 2018, 05:22:58 AM
Big chunky grip and way too short on the driver blades. But for a quick grab tool etc its not too bad. I keep a BG on the outside of a car kit, have used it a couple of times for minor cutting tasks etc. You can usually get a suspension for under $15 thru flea bay as well, so not a lot of money, has good warranty service.Good starter tool.

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: October 11, 2018, 09:48:26 PM
 :cheers:
IMG_20181011_152048.jpg
* IMG_20181011_152048.jpg (Filesize: 128.7 KB)
Send In the spartans

Offline mikekoz

Reply #27 on: November 20, 2018, 09:56:28 PM
   I have two Suspensions. One is probably 10-12 years old, and the other maybe a year. I bought the newer one because I read the design or the quality was different. There was no difference at all from what I could see. I picked it up for $20.00, and for that price it would be hard to find a multitool better than it. I do not understand where a lot of folks say it gets mainly bad reviews. It has about a 4.5 rating on Amazon, and pretty much 90% of reviews I have read on it elsewhere have been positive.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: November 21, 2018, 01:56:09 AM
   I have two Suspensions. One is probably 10-12 years old, and the other maybe a year. I bought the newer one because I read the design or the quality was different. There was no difference at all from what I could see. I picked it up for $20.00, and for that price it would be hard to find a multitool better than it. I do not understand where a lot of folks say it gets mainly bad reviews. It has about a 4.5 rating on Amazon, and pretty much 90% of reviews I have read on it elsewhere have been positive.

I myself find the toolset to be pretty ok, quite like them actually. Many longish tools. Blades are shorter than many others but I like them this way. Weakest part would be the pliers stop. I have broken one myself.. Handle splay is something that can and should be improved. At $20, with all locking tools, it's an excellent MT for the price.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #29 on: November 21, 2018, 02:11:47 AM
 :iagree:
I have to concur, mike and sam.

After I 'wore in' my OG Suspension, I could flik the studded tools out and flip the pliers open. Really liked it. But, I broke a plier stop as well and received a brand new Suspension and haven't used it, since it went to the collection drawers.
The Suspension NXT is one of my new favorites. I like the Truss, but for a clipped all-locking MT, the NXT is a good tool. Gerber did forget to fix the handle splay. :ahhh
Gerber did remedy the plier stop issue. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%