Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wheelchair Accessible - Ben's thread

pomsbz · 495 · 17466

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Re: Wheelchair Accessible - Ben's thread
Reply #270 on: February 07, 2018, 05:19:37 PM
Is it strange that when I buy a birthday present for an employee I choose the SAK Camper I've had my eye on for a while just because I'd like the opportunity for a closer look?  :rofl:
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #271 on: February 07, 2018, 07:21:30 PM
So finally got round to trying out the tiny stove thingy that runs off firelighter cubes. The first time with 400ml (13.5oz), the second with 700ml (24oz) of water. It wasn't particularly breezy but I put it up on the wall to make it a fairer test.

The stove has an indent in the metal sufficient for a single 'standard' cube. I used double that on the advice of a friend who said single cubes didn't provide enough heat. The results were as follows.

The (double portion of) cubes lasted for 7-8 minutes until burnt out completely.

Using a cold pot each time -
400ml took 5 minutes to boil.
700ml took 10 minutes to boil. This required another cube to keep it burning long enough.

The stove has space for 6(ish) cubes to fit comfortably. This should boil some 1L of water.

The flames at almost all times were as high as the lid of the pot. This may have been due to using two cubes causing the flame source to be less central. However it was hugely wasteful of flame power and left a nasty black soot on the pot which would be a pain to deal with in the field and if not careful could contaminate the water while pouring it out into a cup.

My conclusions:

Pluses: A tiny package, literally fits in a shirt pocket with space to spare. Carries all weather easy light fuel sufficient for 3 nice cups of coffee. Idiot proof.
Minuses: Not really a solution for anything but boiling water. Very sooty. A minimalist day camping solution for your coffee rather than a cooking stove for anything more than that.

Coming up next (when I can be bothered), the Emberlit Fireant Stove in comparison. Also fits in a shirt pocket and you won't run out of fuel as long as there's twigs/branches on the ground. Requires fire lighting skills. I've used it for proper cooking multiple times including with a full sized wok for a family supper (!) but let's see how the boiling times and soot build up match to the one above!

« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 08:23:04 PM by pomsbz »
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #272 on: February 08, 2018, 02:27:18 PM

My conclusions:

Pluses: A tiny package, literally fits in a shirt pocket with space to spare. Carries all weather easy light fuel sufficient for 3 nice cups of coffee. Idiot proof.
Minuses: Not really a solution for anything but boiling water. Very sooty. A minimalist day camping solution for your coffee rather than a cooking stove for anything more than that.

Coming up next (when I can be bothered), the Emberlit Fireant Stove in comparison. Also fits in a shirt pocket and you won't run out of fuel as long as there's twigs/branches on the ground. Requires fire lighting skills. I've used it for proper cooking multiple times including with a full sized wok for a family supper (!) but let's see how the boiling times and soot build up match to the one above!

your conclusions mimic my thoughts on this min gadget, that I've only used twice so far.  :salute:
And thanks to you I learned a new word today, "Sooty". Thanks!!  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #273 on: February 08, 2018, 04:16:16 PM
Sooty Petes
roetpieten.jpg
* roetpieten.jpg (Filesize: 110.03 KB)

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #274 on: February 08, 2018, 04:17:39 PM
It occurrd to me that sootiness depends on the fuel, not the burner, am I right?

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #275 on: February 08, 2018, 04:22:06 PM
It occurrd to me that sootiness depends on the fuel, not the burner, am I right?

Very definitely but this burner is specifically designed for these firelighter cubes.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #277 on: February 11, 2018, 02:15:26 PM
Just got my Lionsteel Roundhead back from a blade regrind. Had it thinned down behind the edge. Finally slicing like it should do!

hr Offline styx

Reply #278 on: February 11, 2018, 03:02:14 PM
that is a really beautiful knife
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #279 on: February 21, 2018, 09:50:03 AM
Back in the UK for a bit, I may have slightly had some stuff waiting for me here. No pics yet I'm afraid,  using someone's phone to post this, my parents in law where I'm staying is blissfully free of internet.  :)

Victorious  Camper. Bought as a present for an employee. I can't get over just how good a tool this is, never mind the ridiculously low price! It really is a perfect camping solution.

BRS titanium stove. Not tried it yet but do far very impressed with what you get given the price. The size And weight have to be seen to be believed.

M65 coat from Brandit. I needed a new coat and thought I'd try out the M65. It's an authentic design/copy of the original. It's a good coat, the internal fleece is very warm and the coat in general is bomb proof. Therein lies the problem though. It's very heavy and I can't imagine how heavy it might be when very wet. It's too bomb proof, too authentic a design. In addition the cuffs are weird and uncomfortable, there are buttons for military attachments that have no use and the pockets rather small. I sent it back. Great heavy duty authentic design military coat but it's too much the real thing. I bought a great Regatta coat the next day which is far better suited to my needs.

Victorious nail clippers. Serious fail. There is far too little leverage on the handle for easy and fast clipping. You have to push the handle too far down to clip and it requires too much force. In addition the nail file thingy is flapping around in the way while you clip. I'm surprised to have to say this but I honestly think it's a bad design unsuited for purpose.

That's it for now! Still looking for a good woollen blanket while I'm here.

hr Offline styx

Reply #280 on: February 21, 2018, 09:57:26 AM
shame about the coat. the M65 is a nice design to say the least

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #281 on: February 21, 2018, 04:22:27 PM
I did say that it was heavy :)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #282 on: February 24, 2018, 09:40:34 PM
Just realised this stupid non smart phone changed Victorinox above to victorious. Annoying, too late to change also.  :facepalm:

Please note that I was referring to the Victorinox Camper and Victorinox Clippers. Oh and a curse on autocorrect.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 09:42:14 PM by pomsbz »

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #283 on: March 15, 2018, 08:35:39 PM
Continuing with my testing of minimalist style cooking options for the wild. Today I'm doing a propane/butane solution.

I got the little BRS stove while in the UK from a friendly Amazon. This thing is tiny!

Also titanium and dirt cheap.

To keep the test fair I didn't use a wind shield, there was an equivelant amount of breeze to last time.

Using a cold pot each time -
400ml took 3 minutes to boil.
700ml took 5 minutes to boil.

The flame is fierce. You have to be careful putting your hand anywhere near it. The stove may be tiny but that means that it's harder to adjust the little handle due to said fierce flames. I learnt to take the pot off first so the flames go up and only then reach down to adjust.

My conclusions:

Pluses: A really tiny stove that cools down almost immediately for quick packing away. Fast cooking. Truly all weather. Clean flame, no soot! Easy to use even for a total newbie like me.
Minuses: The stove is tiny but canisters are not, they're (relatively) bulky and heavy in your bag. No way to measure how much gas is left and when it's gone you're not cooking any more. Noisy (weird thing to notice but heck it really is!). Tiny stove requires careful attention for balance of the pot.

Conclusion: It really is the best option - if - you're not being minimalist. For myself I like it as a car/picnic solution but less as a 'throw in the bag' solution. A good solution for a fully planned trip or going somewhere were available wood is scarce (desert, winter, etc) or illegal to burn.

As a bonus here is a picture of me cooking hot dogs for the kids on a trip in the freezing cold of the English winter using a wind shield. A really great solution for exactly this!

« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 08:51:02 PM by pomsbz »

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #284 on: March 19, 2018, 06:06:25 PM
Been thinking of adding this to the stable when I next have some spare cash to add to the test data.

https://www.amazon.com/OUTAD-Alcohol-Outdoor-Portable-Backpacking/dp/B01ISIR882/?tag=gearsearch-20

Though to be honest for the weight, once you've added the alcohol to match cooking time, you are at the same weight as the butane canister and stove.

Both require a wind shield. I bought a cheap one from amazon which works nicely but it's rather bulky and heavy. One thing I really like about the Emberlit is that it doesn't need one. That's really useful albeit it depends on there being wood around. Not always a given in this part of the world! Yes I know I need to do the Emberlit test. I'll get there, honest.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #285 on: March 19, 2018, 06:11:05 PM
Fixed the tenon on my most loved pipe tonight. I had fixed a loose tenon fit on my corncob by just soaking the connection point on the corncob in water for a couple of hours. You can't do that with a briar pipe. I followed the instructions on this video (skip to the 2 minute part, he does go on a bit).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khWHIzdBbhw&t=341s

Worked perfectly! I'm really happy, this Peterson POY 2009 was my first pipe (currently at 8 :) ), still my most loved and also the most expensive. As such it's great to have it working again!

I've finally got some more Macbarens Navy Flake (same as in this old pic) thanks to my wife's work colleague who was in the US. You can't get it here any more. I find it a really pleasant tobacco.

I'm also looking to try Savinelli Balsa wood filters in 9mm in pipes I've used charcoal filters in to date including the one shown above. Charcoal filters require double the draw strength and I far prefer the Balsa which I've only used to date in 6mm. Didn't realise they did them in 9mm till recently. There is a place in the city which stocks them, problem is parking. :(

Oh and a quick look at my next pipe. For when I have the spare cash. This may take a while given how the bank balance looks right now! :D

https://eu.pipeaporter.com/savinelli-onda-sandblasted-313.html
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 06:25:39 PM by pomsbz »

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #286 on: March 19, 2018, 06:55:55 PM
Mobility update. I'm now finally recovered from my last operation on my leg after a nasty infection which caused some serious surgery and 4 months on anti biotics. It is official now from the doctor that I'm banned from biking. He doesn't want me falling off given how fragile everything is. Given that I did all this surgery with the idea of getting outdoors and now I can't walk on rough ground or even bike, this has been rather depressing.

My current idea is a Recumbent Trike. The idea being that it's very hard to fall off. I've been doing a bunch of research. The first problem was sticker shock. I'm not used to the higher end of niche bike builds costing in the thousands! Next is the problem that there are zero dealers in the country. Whatever I buy I'll have to import with the associated shipping and import duties. While I was in the UK I had the opportunity to try out the Greenspeed Magnum. A really nice trike which after more research does seem to be my best option.

There is still a lot of sticker shock, including the accessories. My electric folding bike cost under half of this one. I'm saving up though. This is part of why there's not much spare money right now. :D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 07:01:31 PM by pomsbz »

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #287 on: March 19, 2018, 07:50:42 PM
I've been doing some bike type research. They talk a strange language of gear ratios and inches, of tire types and frame stiffness. Oh and the forums are nowhere near as friendly as here. :)

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #288 on: March 19, 2018, 08:07:44 PM
Fixed the tenon on my most loved pipe tonight. I had fixed a loose tenon fit on my corncob by just soaking the connection point on the corncob in water for a couple of hours. You can't do that with a briar pipe. I followed the instructions on this video (skip to the 2 minute part, he does go on a bit).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khWHIzdBbhw&t=341s

Worked perfectly! I'm really happy, this Peterson POY 2009 was my first pipe (currently at 8 :) ), still my most loved and also the most expensive. As such it's great to have it working again!

(Image removed from quote.)

I've finally got some more Macbarens Navy Flake (same as in this old pic) thanks to my wife's work colleague who was in the US. You can't get it here any more. I find it a really pleasant tobacco.

I'm also looking to try Savinelli Balsa wood filters in 9mm in pipes I've used charcoal filters in to date including the one shown above. Charcoal filters require double the draw strength and I far prefer the Balsa which I've only used to date in 6mm. Didn't realise they did them in 9mm till recently. There is a place in the city which stocks them, problem is parking. :(

Oh and a quick look at my next pipe. For when I have the spare cash. This may take a while given how the bank balance looks right now! :D

https://eu.pipeaporter.com/savinelli-onda-sandblasted-313.html

Nice! You even have a matching zippo!
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #289 on: March 19, 2018, 08:16:59 PM
Outback in Idaho is into recumbents. I think he has a thread somewhere.  :pok:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #290 on: March 20, 2018, 05:52:17 AM

Nice! You even have a matching zippo!

It's a specific pipe zippo, has a cutout for the flame so you can draw the flame into the pipe easily. I don't use the zippo any more. I love everything about it other than the fact the fuel evaporates out in a week or so. Using ranger bands don't help much and makes it a pain in the neck to use.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #291 on: March 30, 2018, 04:16:17 PM
Loving my Farmer. Been using it all day.

Can't work out whether to sharpen the awl for use as a blade or dull it for use as a marlinspike for undoing knots. Was undoing a bunch of knots with it this morning taking down a tarp and it was cutting the paracord even with the somewhat dull edge. Didn't manage to save enough of it  as I'd planned.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 04:18:21 PM by pomsbz »

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #292 on: April 02, 2018, 05:32:44 PM
Had some fun with the Farmer today making fire, used the saw to cut some sticks, the knife to featherstick and the awl to strike the firesteel. All worked excellently! It really is a nice tool. I'd love it to have a combo tool and a small blade rather than the can/bottle opener tools but you can't have everything. :)

Did a bunch of cooking with the little gas stove shown above over a couple of days when the oven was having a deep clean. Hmmm. It's very difficult to cook slowly with it, too fierce a flame. If you turn it down all the way (to prevent burning of the food at the bottom) the slightest breeze blows it out. If you use a wind shield the wind shield blows over or across the stove knocking the pot over unless you can shove it into the ground sufficiently. It's also something more to carry when you're already lugging the bulk of the gas canister. 

I've not had the chance to do the timing test with the Esbit Fireant as yet (though I've done plenty cooking with it) but it has several advantages already. The flame is softer and it forms its own wind shield. As such it really is the smallest and lightest solution for cooking overall. It does however require access to wood. If you have wood it has the added advantage of not running out of fuel at all as long as you can pick up twigs. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 05:48:35 PM by pomsbz »

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #293 on: April 17, 2018, 07:47:10 PM
Two years since I first joined the forum. This was the tool that brought me here. A Charge AL. Except I had some ideas.

First was this:

Finally two years later I finished the job.

It is now how I always wanted it. Two bit tools to hand like I had on my Skeletool, a flat head/pry bar and nice big scissors, OHO rather than tucked away - instead of the serrated blade I neither use or want. The eyeglass tool also went. Won't be missed. I have a Rambler on my keychain if I should ever have the need of that function.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #294 on: April 17, 2018, 07:57:21 PM
Although I've achieved what I wanted, there's always room for more improvement. Replaceable cutter pliers head (not the new charge plus type which seems rather weak) oh and a FFG blade. However I know when not to push my luck. :)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #295 on: April 17, 2018, 08:37:45 PM
Looking good.  Outside opening scissors on this line makes so much sense. 
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #296 on: April 17, 2018, 09:21:17 PM
Nice mod. How would you achieve replaceable wire cutters though?

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #297 on: April 18, 2018, 06:48:00 AM
Nice mod. How would you achieve replaceable wire cutters though?

I hear tell of people retrofitting a Surge pliers head into it. Might take more metal working knowledge than I have though.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #298 on: April 18, 2018, 01:15:21 PM
Stuff currently in my EDC.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #299 on: April 18, 2018, 07:31:58 PM
Just discovered that SB have CF 91mm scales. I really really wish I hadn't found that out. The Camper is calling me really strongly now!  :gimme:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 07:33:02 PM by pomsbz »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%