Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wheelchair Accessible - Ben's thread

pomsbz · 495 · 16720

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Re: Wheelchair Accessible - Ben's thread
Reply #360 on: June 04, 2018, 07:08:52 PM
Just lost the tweezers out of my SAK Rambler. I was fishing out a stuck filter from the stem of a pipe, kid interrupts me, I see them drop but try as I might, I can't find them anywhere.  ::) ::) ::)
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #361 on: June 04, 2018, 07:18:31 PM
My wife just found them, woohoo! Why are the ladies so much better at finding stuff than us guys?
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #362 on: June 04, 2018, 10:03:37 PM
even the things no one wants found
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #363 on: June 04, 2018, 10:11:49 PM
 :rofl:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #364 on: June 06, 2018, 04:53:16 PM
even the things no one wants found

:oops:
 :rofl:
Esse Quam Videri

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #365 on: June 08, 2018, 02:55:44 PM
Why is my LM Charge so sharp? Seriously, every time I use it hard I end up with blisters (albeit on my soft city boy hands, yada, yada) whether i'm using the knife, saw or file. The tools on the opposite side and the knurled screws really tear me up. I'm beginning to seriously see the point of inside opening tools.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 02:57:08 PM by pomsbz »

hr Offline styx

Reply #366 on: June 08, 2018, 05:29:08 PM
you could try breaking the edges. or getting callouses might help

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #367 on: June 19, 2018, 08:44:36 PM
So today I decided to try an experiment with a few of my knives to try and decide what made a knife 'slicey'. I define slicey by the ability to slice through veg and fruit which immediately excludes my hollow grind knives whose hollow binds up on larger objects. My test subjects were apples and carrots. Both great for showing how slicey a really blade is. Oh and I use my EDC knives on them daily at lunch time. :)

I got a digital caliper last week which enabled me to measure thickness behind the edge and also edge angle. They're all within 2 degrees of a 20dps angle which is what I like. The two fixies have been thinned out behind the edge as has the Lionsteel and the Kissing Crane. The other 3 are factory thickness. Every one but the SAK and the Opinel (which didn't require refinement) have had the edge set and refined by a pro. The Lionsteel has a 16.5 degree secondary bevel.

Thickness behind the edge was as follows. Measurements in mm.

Chen Duty fixie:  0.86mm
Lionsteel Roundhead  0.68mm
93mm SAK: 0.46mm
Kissing Crane Toothpick: 0.44mm
L.T.Wright Patriot fixie ): 0.38mm
GEC #18 Coyote: 0.25mm
Opinel #6: 0.18mm
* (below)

So what makes a knife slice? Well, it's not that simple unfortunately. Although the results pretty much follow the above order, there's more to it than that. We cannot discount the wedge effect of the blade as it comes up towards the spine, the triangle formed by the blade itself. Although the thickness behind the edge of the Chen Duty is not that much more than the Lionsteel, it is considerably worse as a slicer, it's simply a lot thicker blade overall. The Lionsteel has more of a wedge effect than the SAK but the SAK seems to suction onto the object as it slices up the blade, I'm not sure if it's due to the steeper angle towards the spine or the highly polished steel? It's a better slicer but still not as smooth as it should be. The L.T.Wright Patriot is wider at the spine than any of the knives other than the Chen Duty but man does it slice! It puts the Lionsteel to shame. The GEC was simply disappointing, it's very thin throughout but didn't seem to glide at all. I have a feeling that the mirror polish is indeed detrimental to gliding through sticky fruit. The Opinel. Oh that Opinel. Hands down winner in every single way. It's thin throughout, super thin at the edge and is simply a slicer par excellence. Simply made for food use. If it wasn't for the lock (illegal carry here) I would question the choice to EDC anything but an Opinel. It's such an incredible cutter in an EDC role.

I will say though that all of these knives would qualify as slicers in an EDC role with the exception of the Chen Duty which was never designed as an EDC or slicing blade in any case. Perhaps not kitchen slicers but certainly more than adequate as an EDC that will cut up your salami and fruit for lunch without you wishing you had a kitchen paring knife. The Lionsteel is perhaps borderline but that's just me being fussy. With the exception of the Opinel of course, as much a joy to use in the kitchen as without. Did I mention how good it was at slicing?  :rofl:

I think an interesting next level of testing would be cardboard. That really shows the difference between a real slicer and a metal wedge with a sharpened edge. :)

*I just measured my wife's Victorinox Chef and Filleting knives, both measured in at 0.32mm behind the edge for blades specifically designed to slice. Gives a good benchmark.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 08:54:18 PM by pomsbz »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #368 on: June 19, 2018, 08:52:47 PM
Opi's are just great slicers: sharp, sharp, sharp, and nice edge geometry.    :cheers:

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #369 on: June 19, 2018, 08:57:07 PM
Yep, cutting a bunch of veggies for soup is a fine test for a blade.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

hr Offline styx

Reply #370 on: June 20, 2018, 07:41:49 AM
since that is something we'll mostly be doing (apart from opening mail and maybe cutting down boxes) it is a great test :tu:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #371 on: June 20, 2018, 02:00:37 PM
I finally found 100g gas canisters here! The vast majority here are 200g. Apparently it's very new on the market. They're light, 150g in total with the metal of the canister and they're pretty small. I'd love to keep them in my bag but as that lives in my car and this is the Middle East, too much of a danger unfortunately. In any case, this for a cooking solution, the emberlit as backup. I finally made my mind up!

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #372 on: June 20, 2018, 06:08:01 PM
Been musing over the picture of the knives above. Realised that there's quite a range of different steel types there. D2, 1095, X55CrMo14, 440A, M390, S35VN and 12c27. If I'd done my hollow grind knives also I could have added 154cm and ‎8Cr13MoV.

hr Offline styx

Reply #373 on: June 20, 2018, 11:29:07 PM
I finally found 100g gas canisters here! The vast majority here are 200g. Apparently it's very new on the market. They're light, 150g in total with the metal of the canister and they're pretty small. I'd love to keep them in my bag but as that lives in my car and this is the Middle East, too much of a danger unfortunately. In any case, this for a cooking solution, the emberlit as backup. I finally made my mind up!

(Image removed from quote.)

nice to see you've found what works for you. for now

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #374 on: August 17, 2018, 04:01:46 PM
Bankline! Short version, how has it taken me so long to find you?

I've been using paracord 275 until now. This bankline (#36 braided) is stronger, lighter, less bulky, more grippy in the hand and knots bind far better (my main complaint with paracord). Oh and it's half the price. Only negative I can think of is that is doesn't come in orange. No you can't take out the inner strands but there are no lakes to fish in around here anyway.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 04:04:00 PM by pomsbz »

hr Offline styx

Reply #375 on: August 17, 2018, 04:28:53 PM
and for the same weight you can take more of it

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #376 on: August 18, 2018, 07:10:28 PM
and for the same weight you can take more of it
Yup, there is far more length on that spindle than when it's loaded with the equivalent amount of paracord.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #377 on: August 18, 2018, 07:26:25 PM
I've found that tarred bank line can rub 'tar' off on clothing, etc.... But it's good stuff. I keep some wrapped around my hiking sticks. I often have a small hank in a pocket to use like a "piggin' string."

hr Offline styx

Reply #378 on: August 18, 2018, 09:19:48 PM
piggin' string?

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #379 on: August 18, 2018, 09:22:21 PM
That whole post seemed like Chinese to me... :shrug:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #380 on: August 19, 2018, 03:57:22 AM
Piggin' strings.

They are a thing from the American frontier.

Cowboys kept a few lengths of rawhide or string in their saddlebags or hanging off their saddles. These short lengths of cordage were used to bind up the feet of calves or pigs after they've been caught to keep them from running off while working on them.

Naturally, piggin' strings got used for all sorts of things: anything you might use a short length of cordage for.

C'mon, guys, this isn't the dark ages anymore. We've moved on. Now we have piggin' strings.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #381 on: August 19, 2018, 05:23:01 AM
Just lost the tweezers out of my SAK Rambler. I was fishing out a stuck filter from the stem of a pipe, kid interrupts me, I see them drop but try as I might, I can't find them anywhere.  ::) ::) ::)

That's part of the reason I don't carry a Wenger (getting tougher to find replacement scale tools all the time, but at least they're still available) or an SAK old enough to still have aluminum headed tweezers anymore as losing the scale tools on an SAK, in my mind, is pretty much a given--I've lost all four on various SAKs over the years.

hr Offline styx

Reply #382 on: August 19, 2018, 11:08:03 AM
Piggin' strings.

(Image removed from quote.)

They are a thing from the American frontier.

Cowboys kept a few lengths of rawhide or string in their saddlebags or hanging off their saddles. These short lengths of cordage were used to bind up the feet of calves or pigs after they've been caught to keep them from running off while working on them.

Naturally, piggin' strings got used for all sorts of things: anything you might use a short length of cordage for.

C'mon, guys, this isn't the dark ages anymore. We've moved on. Now we have piggin' strings.

oddly enough I've heard of them keeping cord ready for those tasks but never heard it called piggin' strings. with that said

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #383 on: August 19, 2018, 03:00:01 PM
 :tu:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #384 on: December 06, 2018, 08:52:02 PM
Sorry I've been gone for so long folks! Craziness in work, a new Kobo which has had more attention than the internet for a while, a broken finger, etc.

What can I share with you? First of all the aforementioned Kobo. I'm already on my second having broken the glass on the first ( :facepalm:) but I didn't pause a second before replacing it. It has a bunch of faults but I love what it gives me. Very much part of my EDC now.

My Eagletac D25A Clicky died after a couple of years, on a very slow boat back from Hong Kong after warranty repair. I bought an Astrolux M01 as a stopgap. I really liked it actually. Tiny, powerful and Nichia.

...But after a week it died. Oh and the warranty process with Bang good is a nightmare. You have to send a picture of the original shipping label (good luck finding that after a year!) plus a video of the problem (I don't own a smartphone!). I'd already bought another one for my daughter, I'm hoping it lasts longer.

I sold my Roundhead on ebay (I didn't realise that ebay take such a huge percentage these days, ouch!). Never got on with the M390 steel. Oh well. Back to my SAK Pruner for the moment.

My wife bought me a new hank, here it is modelling my GEC #18.

I made myself one of those little headphone leather wrap thingies. Really quick and easy to do, especially as I had a bunch of leather sampler cuts which were exactly the right size. :) Just a matter of sticking a snap in and hey presto!

I took a pic of my part of my pipe collection:

I was in the UK with my dad in late August, we went up to the Lake District. Here's a snap of me and the view.

Been having fun with my new Garmin Foretrex 401 GPS Watch, my bastion against getting a smartphone while still having a available and cheap(ish) GPS solution on the trail. It's very simple but can be a very powerful tool.

Today I tried to light my Menorah outdoors (it was in a glass box) in driving wind and rain. My Bic didn't begin to work. My zippo failed. Only after I'd brought it inside to light then taken it back out in the box did I remember my UCO Stormproof Matches that self reignite even after being under a open tap. Duh! It did make me realise how important they are for a Camping/BoB setup, sometimes even a zippo isn't enough and jet lighters are notoriously unreliable.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #385 on: December 06, 2018, 08:54:16 PM
Oh and an EDC pic, with no flashlight.  :ahhh I'm actually really missing it, hadn't realised just how much I use one, especially now in the winter.

I put the Ti pocket clip thingy on my keychain due to the broken finger making fishing for keys in my pocket rather painful. Works rather well actually. I bought it a while ago but dismissed it but now it's filling a good purpose.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 08:55:56 PM by pomsbz »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #386 on: December 06, 2018, 08:55:44 PM
Thanks for the catch up !   :cheers:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #387 on: December 06, 2018, 09:19:06 PM
My view is that when you need to light something outdoors, there is nothing better than the UCO matches. Zippos are rather temperamental with their fluid, Bics, they work, but the slightest little breeze kills them; fire steels, well good backup, but that's about it.  One would not be my go to firestarting tool. My only problem is that I wish they made them in a strike-anywhere variant.

hr Offline styx

Reply #388 on: December 06, 2018, 09:43:54 PM
nice to see you're still swinging. shame you had that experience with difficult customer service

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #389 on: December 07, 2018, 06:29:49 AM
Nice carry.  I filled my Zippo the other day and its just not something I'd carry.  A Bic is great but it too can fail.  Storm matches are a trip.  I wont be without them for hike/camp/outdoors packs.  Yes I'll still pack a Bic but I want a few options so a ferro rod is still part of the kit.  I keep tinder quick with my ferro rod.  For your purpose however I'm glad the storm matches came thru.  They are pretty great.   
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD