Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wheelchair Accessible - Ben's thread

pomsbz · 495 · 17549

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Re: Wheelchair Accessible - Ben's thread
Reply #90 on: January 01, 2018, 06:49:31 PM
I'm a big fan of the UST pill container thingies. I have them in small (shown in bag picture) and bigger (for my outdoors bag). I unfortunately need to carry a good selection of pills.

Paracord. Hmmm. Shown here as 275 paracord (plenty strong) in orange (for visibility). I have a bunch on these ladder thingies. Good way to transport it. I have to be honest that I'm still looking for a better solution than paracord. It doesn't hold knots very well, too slippery.

I seem to be hinting at more outdoors stuff aren't I?
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #91 on: January 01, 2018, 06:52:05 PM
If we're talking outdoors, anyone interested in fixed blades? Or should I show a photo series about how much a loathe the smartphone culture among the young? :D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 07:00:05 PM by pomsbz »
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #92 on: January 01, 2018, 07:19:17 PM
I´m interested in fixed blades. Carrying them is illegal here but I can use them in my own garden. I have quite a few.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #93 on: January 01, 2018, 07:52:19 PM
I´m interested in fixed blades. Carrying them is illegal here but I can use them in my own garden. I have quite a few.

Not illegal here but heck you have to have a really good reason. Outdoors in a forest, fine. Anywhere else, you're going to be in a whole lot of trouble.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #94 on: January 01, 2018, 07:56:20 PM
My first fixed blade. A TBS Boar in Turkish Walnut and O2 steel.

Well priced and good quality. The knife taught me several important lessons. I don't like scandi grind, it's too woodcraft specific, I really really appreciate a big hefty hand filling handle and oh, stainless or almost stainless next time please. :D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 08:16:17 PM by pomsbz »

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #95 on: January 01, 2018, 08:04:40 PM
Next was a Chen Duty I. It was up for a forum GAW, someone else won it then gave it to me. A really great guy!

S35VN, a great little blade, what's not to like? Well there was a problem. Specifically the knife was designed by the maker for his own hands. Asian hands. My big monkey paws just couldn't get comfortable holding it. I talked to a friend who offered to reshape the handle. While he was at it he suggested that I might like to change the handles. Oh and if I'm putting new handles on, why not do something special?

You tell me if the result is something special?

Unfortunately due to a year of various surgeries I've only once been able to take it out into the field. Here it is in preparation for a night trip near the Dead Sea.

Here's the picture taken that night at Massada.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 08:17:12 PM by pomsbz »

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #96 on: January 01, 2018, 08:10:54 PM
The next knife is again something very special to me. A present from a wonderful group of people when I was going through my first surgery of the past year (was supposed to have been the only one).

An L.T. Wright Patriot in beautiful stag. Shown here with my little stag toothpick.

and together with the Queen Copperhead which was at that time my EDC, for an incredible pair of D2 blades.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #97 on: January 01, 2018, 08:13:42 PM
It's pains me greatly that due to my surgeries and disabilities these two incredible, beautiful blades have seen so little use.

I hope to be able to change that in the near future.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #98 on: January 01, 2018, 08:16:30 PM

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #100 on: January 01, 2018, 08:44:01 PM
Anyone in for hats?

You've seen my flat cap in the first image, picked up in Ireland. I've added a tweed one from Scotland to my collection since.

My two fedora's. Both crushable for easy packing. Sorry it's stock pics.

The hat they call here colloqially 'idiot's hat'. :D

and my latest favorite:

My grail is a really good Indiana Jones hat. Have yet to find it though. The good ones cost real money unlike my hats above which all creep in under the £50 mark. :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 08:46:12 PM by pomsbz »

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #101 on: January 01, 2018, 09:17:42 PM
Hi Ben

I recall seeing your "New Member" posting some months ago when I added my own. Nice to know more about you

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #102 on: January 01, 2018, 10:32:52 PM
Love all these pics and the stories with all of them poms :like: :like:

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #103 on: January 02, 2018, 12:14:03 AM
Hi Ben, small world.
Great tread and great pics.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #104 on: January 02, 2018, 12:19:48 AM
The night pic taken at Masada is breathtakingly beautiful :dd: :o :like: :like:

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #105 on: January 02, 2018, 01:16:10 AM
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #106 on: January 02, 2018, 01:47:49 AM
Very enjoyable reading of your selections and the back ground.   

I am curious of how or why you landed in Israel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #107 on: January 02, 2018, 08:56:05 AM
The night pic taken at Masada is breathtakingly beautiful :dd: :o :like: :like:

Thanks! My first ever decent star shoot. All the wrong gear but a friend and I were having fun and spent hours trying out stuff. :)

Better get the Indy hat soon
https://gearjunkie.com/indiana-jones-borsalino-hat-maker-bankrupt

My first ever fedora was a Borsalino. I was sorry to hear that they were going under. That hat served me faithfully for 10 years. I was married wearing it.

Very enjoyable reading of your selections and the back ground.   

I am curious of how or why you landed in Israel?

Hmmm. OK, official warning to everyone, life story ahead! :D

Well my disability first became apparent when I was 13. As you can imagine I had a somewhat miserable teenagehood. Then I had a major operation when I was 16 and by 17 years old I could walk, run, jump, etc. In fact everything I had never been able to do before. I shed the weight that had defined me for so many years and could finally concentrate on being a teenager. Except by then I was in college, studying like crazy and I was still in Manchester (UK) where I grew up. Dreary, rainy, grey, those are the best parts of the city. :D There were some decidedly nastier parts also. I persuaded my parents to allow me to study out in Israel (I'm Jewish as you might have guessed) and I landed off the plane to a hot, bright country. One full of life, a hectic place, an alive place. Utterly the opposite of everything I'd ever known. Within a year I was addicted and totally fell in love with the country.
I quickly picked up the language (at least a street version of it) and emigrated at age 18. I lied my way into the army but it didn't take all that long for them to realise that those scars on my feet meant that I wasn't infantry material. They seconded me to the police and I became an expert at searching vehicles for drugs or the weapons being bought with said drugs. I got married, my wife lived just 5 minutes away from me back in Manchester but although I knew her sister, I'd never met her until we met out here. We struggled for two years, I managed a photo store and she sewed clothes. My mother came down with cancer for the third time, we were living on pennies and we flew back to the UK to look after my mother and try to find career paths.
For 4 years I built up a wedding photography business, first apprenticing and eventually becoming one of the premier wedding photographers in my market, riding the cusp of the digital revolution. My wife did a Bsc and Msc in Genetics. We came back here 4 years later, I continued my thriving business in the UK, I was literally commuting for work, logged around 80 flights a year. Thankfully there was a mutual tax agreement between the two countries so I didn't have to pay tax again back in Israel. My wife in the meantime became one of the top Embryologists in the country (IVF, she makes babies for a living :D).
I flew for four years but by then we had two kids, I was exhausted beyond belief and my legs were failing badly. I started doing some work for a museum and when they asked me if I was interested in setting up a Reproduction Studio I jumped at the chance. It's been an interesting and often frustrating 5 years but last week we signed an agreement and started working as the preferred digitization partner of the Israel National Library, an achievement I'm very proud of.

If anyone is interested I have a website of project work I've photographed out here. Ignore the pricing/sales stuff, it's mainly wishful thinking. :D
www.timelessjewishart.com
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 09:01:03 AM by pomsbz »

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #108 on: January 02, 2018, 09:04:37 AM
I know I'm probably sounding obtuse but how do I add a signature? Can't seem to work it out.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #109 on: January 02, 2018, 11:22:58 AM
Go to your Profile, find the "Modify Profile" dropdown button and click, then on "Forum Profile", that takes you to the page where you should be able to add/modify a signature.  :cheers: Don't forget to save (via "Change Profile") when done.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #110 on: January 02, 2018, 12:01:25 PM
Cool story and very interesting life you have and are having :like: :like:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #111 on: January 02, 2018, 12:01:54 PM
Go to your Profile, find the "Modify Profile" dropdown button and click, then on "Forum Profile", that takes you to the page where you should be able to add/modify a signature.  :cheers: Don't forget to save (via "Change Profile") when done.

Thank you! Just added my favourite quote.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 12:03:19 PM by pomsbz »

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #112 on: January 02, 2018, 12:04:30 PM
My phone's been playing up, well it's been rather hard used over the past few years. Ordered another one. Fully refurbed and unlocked. $25 shipped. :D

I know that I've picked the right gear when I would always replace it like for like without a thought. For me that's the definition of a perfect EDC.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 12:06:33 PM by pomsbz »

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #113 on: January 02, 2018, 12:11:59 PM
Talking of phones, here's a series I did a while back, inspired by seeing these exact same scenes in real life. I attempted to over dramatise and exaggerate the point I was making at the time for effect. Since then in the years preceding the start of the project the reality has become as bad or worse which rather dampened the effect.  :think: I've another 4 pictures I would like to add to the series. When my feet work again...

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #114 on: January 02, 2018, 12:53:25 PM
Just had a thought, once I've finished this marathon bout of posting, I'm going to have to sit down and work out just how many badges I can request and then bug a poor moderator for them. :D

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #115 on: January 02, 2018, 12:56:42 PM
I suggest Poncho.  :whistle:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #116 on: January 02, 2018, 01:34:02 PM
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #117 on: January 02, 2018, 01:38:43 PM
Did someone mention a poncho? I love my poncho! One day I got to work on my bike and then the heavens erupted. I had no coat at all, I was in my shirt sleeves. I always kept a pair of waterproof trousers in my bike bag oh and a poncho. I biked back through a flood that night, 45 minutes of riding, I got home, not a single drop of water on my clothes and I was in shirt sleeves under that! Here is me prior to setting out from work and looking manic. Oh and I'm not that fat. It was the poncho, honest!  :D

Another great thing about a poncho, it's great at keeping your legs dry in a wheelchair! When you're in a wheelchair putting on waterproof trousers is a pain or impossible and a regular coat will leave you sitting in wet trousers on a damp puddle of the wheelchairs seat  (not due to incontinence!  :P). Enter the poncho. A perfect solution in a tiny package! Now I'm car bound I always keep a poncho tucked into the pocket behind my drivers seat.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 01:40:25 PM by pomsbz »

hr Offline styx

Reply #118 on: January 02, 2018, 01:41:01 PM
yup that guy ;)
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #119 on: January 02, 2018, 04:59:20 PM
Thank you for replying about how you landed in Israel. 
Interesting that you meet your wife a few thousand miles from where you both grew up. 

Your eye for photography and composing shoots is to be envied, enjoying your history and now can’t wait until your current exploits make the thread. 

If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%