Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

new (to me) camera

ca Offline jcs0001

new (to me) camera
on: January 27, 2018, 11:24:16 PM
I very recently purchased a pentax k30 dslr along with various lenses and accouterments.  For the last few days I've had to figure out how to use old m42 screw mount lenses with the camera along with a Pentax-a zoom and the digital auto zoom lense that originally came with the camera.  A few frustrating moments but eventually I figured out most of the mechanics of the camera.  At least enough to use the lenses I have, to get some semblance of a photograph.  I did find tin foil indispensable for mounting the m42 lenses on the camera (with an adapter). 

My sister offered me a 200 mm pentax lens (prime) which should be here in a week or so.  That should enable me to "shoot" a few of the neighborhood squirrels and birds. 

I realize that a camera won't make me a (much) better photographer but I'm enjoying the learning experience.  With the exception of using a pentax k1000 film camera quite a few years ago, my experience with slr's is very minimal.  I use linux as an everyday operating system and Shotwell and Rawtherapee are readily available to deal with raw images and jpeg's.  Lots to learn with them also but it is interesting and keeps the brain working.

John.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: new (to me) camera
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 11:41:57 PM
Congrats !    :cheers:

Let's see some pics    :pok:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 04:16:22 AM
I have the K-01 which uses the same sensor. That camera will take beautiful photos. I think it does a better job than my Canons. Good buy.  :tu:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

it Offline danilo

Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 11:53:21 AM
I very recently purchased a pentax k30 dslr along with various lenses and accouterments.  For the last few days I've had to figure out how to use old m42 screw mount lenses with the camera along with a Pentax-a zoom and the digital auto zoom lense that originally came with the camera.  A few frustrating moments but eventually I figured out most of the mechanics of the camera.  At least enough to use the lenses I have, to get some semblance of a photograph.  I did find tin foil indispensable for mounting the m42 lenses on the camera (with an adapter). 

My sister offered me a 200 mm pentax lens (prime) which should be here in a week or so.  That should enable me to "shoot" a few of the neighborhood squirrels and birds. 

I realize that a camera won't make me a (much) better photographer but I'm enjoying the learning experience.  With the exception of using a pentax k1000 film camera quite a few years ago, my experience with slr's is very minimal.  I use linux as an everyday operating system and Shotwell and Rawtherapee are readily available to deal with raw images and jpeg's.  Lots to learn with them also but it is interesting and keeps the brain working.

John.
cool, I've started with a Pentax camera myself back in the film era. I love pentax cameras and how they made their ancient lenses work on their new digital bodies, kudos to them.

as for linux, take a look at darktable as well, it's somewhat like lightroom, it helps organising photos and gives you quite a few tools to work with. YouTube is full of tutorials as well, they are very handy.

have fun with the new toy!

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 05:27:37 AM
Thank you all.  Today I was given an m42 mount 135 prime lense.  It was in rough shape with a big white blotch on the inside of the front glass and an aperture that would not close.  I've had it apart and cleaned it but the aperture needs further work it seems.  Oh well the price was right and it was a learning experience.  I do hope to take photos with it eventually.

I've taken a few photos with the camera and posted them in other parts of this forum.  Will be doing more however don't expect sudden miracles - I have lots to learn.

John.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD