Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

PowerGrab discontinued?

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
PowerGrab discontinued?
on: January 02, 2018, 05:46:11 AM
I just checked SOG website and did a quick Google search... PowerGrab is discontinued or out of stock almost everywhere.

Anybody (cough, Grant) got any insight?
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: PowerGrab discontinued?
Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 01:19:36 AM
I don't know, I haven't heard anything.  I just fired off an email to Chris@SOG to see if he can shed some light on this.

If anyone is looking for one, there are a couple of them available in the MTO Store right now:

https://store.multitool.org/sog/sog-powergrab-molded-sheath-pm1001-cp-30.html

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 05:18:42 AM
Thank you Def! Just ordered one from the MT.o store.
I believe SOG may be trying to open the SOG MT market up for the new additions this year. The PowerGrab was never a really popular tool.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 10:37:26 PM
I have not been given a definitive answer from SOG, but I do get the feeling that the one left in the store may be the last one I ever get to sell, at least factory fresh.

However nothing is official, nothing has been announced and this is entirely speculation on my part.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 11:46:29 PM
I saw one on Amazon that was going for over $500. Not joking. That's what initially raised my curiosity
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 12:38:13 AM
I saw one on Amazon that was going for over $500. Not joking. That's what initially raised my curiosity
Third party sellers on Amazon can get rather crazy.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 02:15:01 AM
Same thing happens everytime a company stops producing something. Sellers initially get crazy thinking people will pay anything for something discontinued. People end up NOT buying the stuff for crazy money and sellers end up selling the stuff on ebay for less than the original retail.
Can't wait to get my PowerGrab from Def! Should be fun! :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 02:53:15 AM
I guess I need to raise my price on the last one!   :ahhh

Def

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 06:37:01 PM
I wonder what drove the quick kill? It just released in March or April, I believe.

The PowerLock is a great tool (well, it has great aspects) that will be difficult to replace. Maybe they just tried too hard to fix what was not broken. I like the bit driver in the base of the plier head, so it would be cool if they could just fit the new head to the existing PowerLock. Also, SOG needs to upgrade those implements. Drivers and knives that short undermine a good tool - just ask the Flik and Freehand.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 08:13:12 PM
Knifecenter has powergrab for $79 right now. Better get one while you can. :tu:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 11:25:45 AM

better grab one  :rofl:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 01:35:57 PM

better grab one  :rofl:
Dang. That pun was right there. :rofl:

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 04:51:15 PM
I see it in stock some places and then there is this one eBay listing, only one on eBay currently.....

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 05:19:15 PM
Nobody will pay $650 for a powergrab.   :rofl:

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 12:39:33 AM
Did someone say CashGrab?

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 04:18:39 PM

hell I wouldn't pay $65 for one, and I am a true SOG Fan and follower  :P
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 09:24:50 PM

hell I wouldn't pay $65 for one, and I am a true SOG Fan and follower  :P
I just got a poweraccess and have a powergrab on the way. If the access is where SOG is going with their tools, then I am a bit worried about the powergrab. The powerplay and poweraccess are a joke compared to the powerplier and powerlock. I just hope the powergrab is better than the access and play :facepalm:

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 10:53:49 PM
Actually the PowerGrab is a step back compared to the PowerAccess. The design for the access is a great step forward with its outside opening tools similar to a Swiss tool. SOG told me the PowerGrab was on the drawing board before the access and that's why it doesn't seem as forward thinking. If the PowerGrab is discontinued I'm not surprised. I have some issues with mine and even though it's a great heavy duty tool similar to a Powerlock it's got some drawbacks. I carry mine in my work bag and use it often in spite of some issues

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 11:33:18 PM
Thank you for the info, David! I feel better about the powergrab now. :)

The access is a good design that suffers quality control issues. IMHO of course.
The locking system is the only issue I can see from the short time one has been in my collection. The lock tab does not sit well inside the tang notches on the tools. 5 minutes and a metal file took care of the issue, but that is a QC problem and not a design issue. When I commented on the direction, I mean in terms of fit/finish and QC. For the price point, I would have liked to see the same build quality as the PPP, PP, PL, and PowerAssist.
The build quality of the Access seems on par with the powerplay. Maybe somewhat less. IMO

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 12:05:35 AM
With my PowerGrab my wire cutters rub some and when opening the one hand opening blades the tools clump out. This causes the blade not to lock initially because the clumped tools prevent the lock from engaging. Design problem that should have been handled before release. Other than those it's a great tool and I will continue to put it to the hard use that I give it.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 12:30:22 AM
https://youtu.be/5mS3yv9aDRo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 01:48:09 AM
Thank you, David!
I am pretty excited to get the powergrab now! Seems like a bigger more improved powerplay. I do like that the locks don't stick out like the powerplay.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 02:53:08 AM
Yeah, I can make a longer video if you wish. The locking tabs are like a lever that lifts up the lock bar. I don't have as much of a problem with the Powerplay as some folks. The Powerplay bothers me more that the thumb holes for the blades are recessed some. Otherwise it's a decent tool in my eyes.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 03:12:29 AM
The vid was great to see how it operates! Thank you!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 01:34:12 PM
Thank you for the info, David! I feel better about the powergrab now. :)

The access is a good design that suffers quality control issues. IMHO of course.

trust me, it's not just your opinion.  :pok:
All the "new generation" SOGs (Powerplay, PowerGrab, PowerAccess and Reactor) present and show much more quality issues, in-use failures, breakages and locking problems than the older generation (PowerLock, PowerAssist, PowerPlier...)
This is obvious by looking at forums. reviews and returns over the last decade

on the new ones the steel seems weaker and sub-par, the tools less sturdy, the plier heads more misaligned and weaker, and the tolerances much higher overall.
Also QC seems to have suffered and more duds getting out of factory with problems   :facepalm:

they are trying hard and innovating in designs but they need to up their QC and materials
This is coming from a long time SOG fan, user and follower.   :salute:
My toys:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: January 13, 2018, 02:20:22 PM
Thank you, Peacant! I am trying really hard to like these new tools, but only for their cool factor, features, and design. I have yet to put a newer SOG to the test, except for my powerplay. As you said, the quality is not that of the og SOG legends. The new stuff doesn't inspire the same confidence . :-[
I am hopeful for the powergrab, but only because of it's size and plier head. I bought two powerplays when they came out. The one I used for a few weeks has rivets in the leverage system on the gears that are starting to come out. I think one good squeeze and a rivet will fly across the room.ö

Anyway, I have watched/read the reviews as well, but my particular brand of thinking tries to reserve judgement of an MT until I have one in hand( seems like 75% of people reviewing MTs on youtube, knife forums, etc. don't know much about MTs at all). Kind of along the lines of the post I made in Grant's poweraccess warning thread. The acess would be awesome if they had some sort of QC. I have not seen any steel failures in the powerplay, just the rivets, so I am unsure of how inferior the tool steel has gotten.
I am hesitant to agree on the metal being weaker, but I must agree, the QC is definitely BS. The newer/lighter designs are never going to be as strong as the OG SOG MTs. But, in the end,  they were not designed to be that way. The Powerplay, Poweracess, powergrab have a lot of features the old SOGs didn't. More features usually cut into the overall build quality. SOG should have much better QC for the price point though.

Anyway. I blew $100 bucks on a powergrab. It better be good when it arrives. Or SOG will be getting another call from me about QC and having to fix problems myself to avoid return shipping and time waiting for a replacement..  :rant:

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #27 on: January 13, 2018, 03:28:31 PM
[snip]
seems like 75% of people reviewing MTs on youtube, knife forums, etc. don't know much about MTs at all

You ain't kidding there, brother. Some of the reviews I've come across just gave me a headache  :facepalm:

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #28 on: January 13, 2018, 07:48:22 PM
It's hard to find reviews for folks who actually use their tools and not comment on them based solely on appearance. I enjoy videos here they show the tool in use, making fuzz sticks etc.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #29 on: January 16, 2018, 12:45:53 AM

From Knifecenter.... think they we're told they aren't getting anymore from SOG?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD