Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

PowerGrab discontinued?

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: PowerGrab discontinued?
Reply #30 on: January 16, 2018, 12:52:37 AM
I think the Grab has become a collectable MT now. Thanks for the update, David!
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #31 on: January 16, 2018, 03:09:43 AM
Your welcome,  I had been carrying mine in my work bag. Thought I'd put it away since we won't be seeing anymore. What is the shortest multitool release? From launch date to the date it stopped being sold. This had to be some kind of record, wasn't even out a year.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 03:10:44 AM by David Bowen »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: January 16, 2018, 04:16:40 AM
Seems like it will be competing with the likes of the Gerber Freehand possibly.
I hope mine arrives soon! Very excited to see if it will be a classic rarity. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: January 16, 2018, 06:59:04 AM
To be honest, I think it's a good thing they discontinued the model. So far they are not able to produce functional OHO blades, other than the power assist. Powerplay, power grab shares the same problems. Multiple tools comes out along with the blades when deploying. And the lock tab is in a totally wrong position. Everytime during deployment, the lock tab have to pushed backwards to release the knife. But it's resting in between the handle where naturally, your palm would be holding the handles tightly. So you are just countering the proper deployment of the tools. A big fail in my opinion.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: January 16, 2018, 07:26:00 AM
I don't have my powergrab yet, but I do have two powerplays. Neither have clumping with OHO'ing the blade. But, I have read that many owners experience it. :think:
The biggest issue I have had with the powerplay is the weak rivets on the handle leverage bar. I have one powerplay one good squeeze from going back to SOG requesting a powerassist in return. The other is a shelf queen for collection's sake. I really liked the powerplay in the beginning,  but now wish I had only bought one for the collection.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: January 16, 2018, 11:50:58 AM
I don't have my powergrab yet, but I do have two powerplays. Neither have clumping with OHO'ing the blade. But, I have read that many owners experience it. :think:
The biggest issue I have had with the powerplay is the weak rivets on the handle leverage bar. I have one powerplay one good squeeze from going back to SOG requesting a powerassist in return. The other is a shelf queen for collection's sake. I really liked the powerplay in the beginning,  but now wish I had only bought one for the collection.

My last powerplay was a while ago.. Drew blood everytime I used it.  3 times and I gave up..

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #36 on: January 16, 2018, 01:33:47 PM
My Powerplay's unfortunately suffer from the clumping when using the blades but no where near as bad as the PowerGrab. If SOG hadn't pinned the piano locks together on that side it may work as intended. Course my blades don't line up straight with the handle, nor are they tight and have a bit of up and down play. The PowerGrab could have been a great replacement tool for the powerlock but poor qc killed it before it had a chance.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #37 on: January 16, 2018, 01:34:54 PM

My last powerplay was a while ago.. Drew blood everytime I used it.  3 times and I gave up..
Was it the gears that messed you up? Those can be a killer on your hand.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: January 16, 2018, 03:27:40 PM
I am hopeful SOG will figure out a way out of their mess. The access is a partial step forward, but poor QC is something I experienced with the one I bought.  Their newest offerings don't seem to be all that different from the access. Hopefully they will fix the rounded bevel issue on the tang grooves so the lock lever so sits inside better. I have a powerpint on order, so we'll see what thy have done, if anything, to remedy the problems. I'm just glad they haven't discontinued the powerlock and powerassist in favor of the new inferior MT lines.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #39 on: January 16, 2018, 05:31:29 PM
They original Powerlock and other older tools are their bread and butter. They're new tools like the Sync and Baton in sure help with sales; but any die hard SOG fan goes for the stuff that made them a popular. I wish we could get some sales numbers. How much revenue do these new tools give them in regards to the old line. I'm sure profit lines are better than the older line with stuff being imported. I do know SOG has a hand in production and checks in frequently to ensure product sampling is where it should be. I'm not sure if quality isn't consistent and some bad tools get out the door or they have not quite nailed down the QC issues.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #40 on: January 16, 2018, 05:40:51 PM
They are happy with the quality
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: January 16, 2018, 06:31:16 PM
I fortunately or unfortunately had my hands on all 3 of them. Poweraccess is by far the best of that series. Its safer and easier to use though it requires 2 hand to use. In my very honest opinion, powergrab and powerplay fails terriblely in the design of their locking mechanism. In order to open a outside tool, be it a OHO blade or screwdriver, that tool have to rotate on its pivot. To do that, it have to lift the locking tab. The tab is sitting flushed with the other side of the handle. So the handles need to open up slightly just for the tab to be lifted.  Its a bit complicated to understand what I am saying. In short, to open a blade, blade have to lift lock tab, tab have to push open handle. Its simply not natural when you are holding the whole tool in the palm. Pulling back the unlock knob/catch doesn't help either as you are just pressing the handles together even tighter. Dis-engaging the tools are the same. You are facing the same counter forces. That whole design is a fail in my opinion. Sorry for the rant..  :facepalm:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #42 on: January 16, 2018, 10:19:26 PM
The all-outside tools are nice, i suppose, but the execution of a good locking mechanism is just too difficult to get right. Too much compromise for little gained. I think the Surge layout is the winner, design wise. With 4 long, liner-locking tools as outside-access, but then an internal channel for the drivers etc... This adds a lot of weight in the case of the Surge, but I think this could be mitigated some by skeletonizing the handles. I'd like to see a reattack by SOG (hopefully with a better name (PowerLock 3.0, please)), and for the love of god give us some new implements to replace the very long in the tooth current offerings.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: January 17, 2018, 03:00:27 AM
Got the Grab in. Hmmmm. Nice size. Great looking pliers. The cutters on this one don't drag thankfully. Not much else to say that hasn't been said, except the scissors are well done on the powergrab. Looks great too. :tu:
Only the can opener comes out with the plain blade. No tools come out with the serrated though. Locks are backwards compared to the powerplay. Powerplay you push the stud 'up' to unlock. Powergrab you pull the ring back. It is somewhat easy to do after a few tries. But, far from ideal.
Another great MT idea that was designed a little poorly. Form over function in a sense..IMO

What is awesome is the quick shipping and decent price from the MT.o store and Grant L.! Even sent some MT.o goodies. :tu:
20180116_185830-1.jpeg
* 20180116_185830-1.jpeg (Filesize: 148.07 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: January 17, 2018, 03:14:26 AM
Some comparison pics with other SOGs and close ups with PowerAssist.
20180116_200223-1.jpeg
* 20180116_200223-1.jpeg (Filesize: 127.17 KB)
20180116_200351-1.jpeg
* 20180116_200351-1.jpeg (Filesize: 131.21 KB)
20180116_200517-1.jpeg
* 20180116_200517-1.jpeg (Filesize: 158.33 KB)
20180116_200553-1.jpeg
* 20180116_200553-1.jpeg (Filesize: 77.87 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: January 17, 2018, 03:15:09 AM
Last three pics.
20180116_200715-1.jpeg
* 20180116_200715-1.jpeg (Filesize: 78.37 KB)
20180116_200814-1.jpeg
* 20180116_200814-1.jpeg (Filesize: 76.04 KB)
20180116_201015-1.jpeg
* 20180116_201015-1.jpeg (Filesize: 53.02 KB)

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: January 17, 2018, 04:21:38 AM

I was thinking about getting one last year, I'm glad I didn't but those pictures really help.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: January 17, 2018, 05:06:12 AM

I was thinking about getting one last year, I'm glad I didn't but those pictures really help.
It is definitely not something I would want to EDC, but definitely a cool collection piece!

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: January 17, 2018, 07:14:59 AM

It is definitely not something I would want to EDC, but definitely a cool collection piece!

I do have to agree that the plier head is really very nicely designed!  :like:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #49 on: January 17, 2018, 01:37:47 PM
Your welcome,  I had been carrying mine in my work bag. Thought I'd put it away since we won't be seeing anymore. What is the shortest multitool release? From launch date to the date it stopped being sold. This had to be some kind of record, wasn't even out a year.

I think the record goes to the second generation SOG Micro Tool Clip.  There was basically one shipment of them and they were canned after that.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: January 17, 2018, 01:38:40 PM
Got the Grab in. Hmmmm. Nice size. Great looking pliers. The cutters on this one don't drag thankfully. Not much else to say that hasn't been said, except the scissors are well done on the powergrab. Looks great too. :tu:
Only the can opener comes out with the plain blade. No tools come out with the serrated though. Locks are backwards compared to the powerplay. Powerplay you push the stud 'up' to unlock. Powergrab you pull the ring back. It is somewhat easy to do after a few tries. But, far from ideal.
Another great MT idea that was designed a little poorly. Form over function in a sense..IMO

What is awesome is the quick shipping and decent price from the MT.o store and Grant L.! Even sent some MT.o goodies. :tu:

Glad it got there safe and sound, and I'm glad you like it!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: January 17, 2018, 11:06:51 PM
Thank you, Grant!

May not be the best MT, but it looks very nice. :)
20180117_130123-1 by None, on Flickr

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #52 on: January 18, 2018, 12:43:00 AM

I think the record goes to the second generation SOG Micro Tool Clip.  There was basically one shipment of them and they were canned after that.

Def
Was that due to a design flaw or poor sales?

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #53 on: January 18, 2018, 01:45:34 PM
Thank you, Grant!

excellent pic!!!  :salute:

:like:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: January 18, 2018, 02:44:44 PM
Thank you, Grant!

excellent pic!!!  :salute:

:like:t
Thank you, sir!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #55 on: January 18, 2018, 04:33:14 PM

Def
Was that due to a design flaw or poor sales?

This is just speculation but I think it had to do with production issues.  I don't think they could (at the time) produce them at the price point and quality they wanted.

There weren't enough of them produced to determine whether sales would be any good or not!   :ahhh

Def

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #56 on: January 18, 2018, 06:34:45 PM
Makes sense

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #57 on: January 18, 2018, 07:21:35 PM

This is just speculation but I think it had to do with production issues.  I don't think they could (at the time) produce them at the price point and quality they wanted.

:facepalm:
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #58 on: January 22, 2018, 05:53:10 PM
Official word on the PowerGrab is it's not yet official. There's looking at manufacturing and seeing if they can make the needed changes. I'll let you know if I hear more info. Maybe these websites are seeing the writing on the wall or lack of shipments from SOG gives them the wrong impression.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: January 22, 2018, 09:45:08 PM
Thanks for the update, David!

Seems SOG is having trouble getting a lot of their MTs out to retail. The powerpint has not even shipped from KC yet. :popcorn:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%