Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Galapagos

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Galapagos
on: January 03, 2018, 01:24:53 AM
Next week, my GF is headed off to the Galapagos with her daughter and a tour group.

There are a number of online lists compiled by the various travel agencies that run tours there, and the basics all seem the same: hiking , shorts, a nalgene, and such. I am hoping that somebody in MTO has been there within the last ten years, the more recently the better, and would be generous enough to provide a bit of guidance.

Looking to compile a comprehensive list of what she should bring and carry. She is only about five feet tall.

She may not be able to carry a SAK or PS4 on her person through flight security, but are there any out there that do pass, or that I can send with her in her checked bag that I can set her up with, and that will be helpful when she gets there?

In her entire life, she's only been on a few day hikes, and a couple times car camping and that's only since we met and at my insistence. She was not originally an out-doorsy type, so I'm trying to make it easy on her. Her daughter on the other hand, has hiked and camped fairly often.

And any other tools, devices, or do-dads you found helpful to bring when you went?

Please, and thank you in advance
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 01:47:35 AM by ThundahBeagle »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: Galapagos
Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 12:55:39 PM
First, I am incredibly jealous that someone that isn't me is getting to go to the Galapagos Islands. That is SUPER cool!  :tu:

Second, sorry to say I haven't ever been there.

She may not be able to carry a SAK or PS4 on her person through flight security, but are there any out there that do pass, or that I can send with her in her checked bag that I can set her up with, and that will be helpful when she gets there?

And finally, of what little help i might actually be, I recommend the Leatherman Style PS as a TSA- approved travel tool. Here's my review.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,46368.msg796380.html

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Re: Galapagos
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 07:41:08 PM
Hi Lynn and thanks so much for the suggestion of the Style. Nice little piece. I just wish they would make a Micra PS. Not quite the Squirt. Micra based. At an earlier point, I had reposted this in General Tool discussion, fearing less traffic here.

I went through a bunch of my own SAKs and LMs with my GF yesterday, fully expecting her to choose the Classic SD or PS4. Turns out she didn't like the Swiss Army Knives (I didn't want to say she doesn't like SAK s, because phonetically, that's just asking for a pile of juvenile replies). She didn't like them because of the nail nicks and her comparative difficulty removing each tool. You've seen the PS4 screw drivers and scissors, you know what I mean.

Nope. Once she had my PST II in her hands, that's all she wanted. The slim, sleek, simple design. The ease with which she could remove the knife and file - and oh, what a file! The fact that other tools came up with the pull of just the big easy ones meant she didn't have to wreck her nails much if at all. The scissors and their clever design.

Her second choice was the Blast. It's a little harder to open to plyers, but she liked the way it locks.

I pushed the 91 mm SAKS I have, and the Classic SD again (she's less likely to need plyers that she is a cork screw) but she wasn't having it.

She wants the PST II.

Now we just have to round out some of her equipment and gear details.

Thanks so much. I had never really considered the Style, but you showed me it's the same plyers head as the PS4, which I like, and I like a file and tweezers on a tool that size. Have to check one out.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 07:45:03 PM by ThundahBeagle »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD