Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Silky Saws.

BCNZ · 49 · 3638

ca Offline BCNZ

Silky Saws.
on: January 05, 2018, 04:34:12 AM
I've had a Silky Gomboy 240 folding saw for a couple of years.  Used it for trail clearing, pruning trees in my yard, cutting firewood while camping, and freeing up a couple of badly treed snowmobiles... 
It works great but is a bit too bulky for my snowmobile pack so I picked up a Pocketboy 170 as a Xmas gift to myself  :D.

Here's some pics.

Anyone else have Silky saws?

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Re: Silky Saws.
Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 08:38:23 AM
 :salute:
No, but I want at least 3!  :gimme:

The only good folding saws I have are the two sizes Opinels and they are serious cutters, but I believe the Silkys out-perform them considerably.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 09:32:48 AM
I've had a 270 Gomboy for several years that I use in the garden.  It's ace.

hr Offline styx

Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 09:50:04 AM
again I'm in the same boat as GG. why do people say that Silky saws are fragile?
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 09:57:57 AM
why do people say that Silky saws are fragile?

Didn't know they did.  Mine has been roundly abused pruning trees - I often worry that I'm going to snap the blade if it gets trapped on the push stroke but it springs back to shape and keeps on going.  A light touch on the push stroke helps a great deal.  The heat treatment must be really good as I've not had to sharpen it either.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 03:45:45 PM
I've used a Gomboy mostly fitted with a Skattboy (unfortunate name) carpentry blade for almost exactly ten years now - it's by far the best hand saw I've got and is always in my toolbag - one of the few tools that doesn't get swapped out.

I gave a Pocketboy to my Brother one Christmas and in turn he gave Pop Fuzzbucket one the following Christmas - that's a fantastic little saw!!!

Only drawback to Silky saws is the extortionate cost of replacement blades here in the UK.

Edit: Pop Fuzzbucket's Pocketboy...

Edit: Edit: I'm up north at the moment and don't have my saw with me, but I found this image in my Dropbox ac showing some of my tools - you can see the Skattboy (snigger) blade top right if anyone's... am... interested?

« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 05:17:04 PM by Fuzzbucket »

ca Offline BCNZ

Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 06:04:02 PM
Nice pics Fuzzbucket.  Skattboy is a very unfortunate name...

ca Offline BCNZ

Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 06:13:38 PM

Didn't know they did.  Mine has been roundly abused pruning trees - I often worry that I'm going to snap the blade if it gets trapped on the push stroke but it springs back to shape and keeps on going.  A light touch on the push stroke helps a great deal.  The heat treatment must be really good as I've not had to sharpen it either.

I've never found mine to be fragile.  It's been well used, never had any issues with it.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 07:10:52 PM

I've never found mine to be fragile.  It's been well used, never had any issues with it.

Me neither... the only issue I've ever had is loosing a few teeth on a greenwood blade - that was because I was being an utter noob and using it as a machete to clear scrub... in my defence, I was hot and tired and just wanted to get the job done... still a noobish thing to do though...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 07:29:23 PM by Fuzzbucket »

hr Offline styx

Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 07:47:49 PM

Me neither... the only issue I've ever had is loosing a few teeth on a greenwood blade - that was because I was being an utter noob and using it as a machete to clear scrub... in my defence, I was hot and tired and just wanted to get the job done... still a noobish thing to do though...

could be exactly that. user error that is blamed on the saw
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 08:17:03 PM

Probably true that, I heard similar things about my Bacho Laplander, I'm still looking at the Silky Pocket Boy though
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 09:22:10 PM

Probably true that, I heard similar things about my Bacho Laplander, I'm still looking at the Silky Pocket Boy though

Smashie - Abbey's got them on sale at the moment if you're looking for one. I might grab a spare blade myself while they're discounted.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 09:35:11 PM

Smashie - Abbey's got them on sale at the moment if you're looking for one. I might grab a spare blade myself while they're discounted.

Have you got a link?
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 09:42:13 PM

Have you got a link?

Oh yeah... that would help...

https://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk/hand-tools/silky-pruning-saws/showitem-S3-PBOY.aspx

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 09:51:28 PM

Have you got a link?

https://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk/hand-tools/silky-pruning-saws/showitem-S3-PBOY.aspx

Thanks, got a 20 tpi on the way, should compliment the Bahco

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 09:55:39 PM

Have you got a link?

20 tpi - should be good for a bit of carpentry too!

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 10:04:59 PM

Have you got a link?

That was my thinking, the Bahco is 10 (ish) and good for just cutting through stuff fast. I like the idea of having one that I can fin in a pocket

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 10:12:53 PM

Have you got a link?

That was my thinking, the Bahco is 10 (ish) and good for just cutting through stuff fast. I like the idea of having one that I can fin in a pocket

I don't know about the Gomboy, but my Skattboy (snigger) is excellent for flush cutting - even better than my dedicated flush cut saws. I imagine the Gomboy would be great for that too if that's something you do. Lovely clean cuts too!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 04:34:56 AM
Well I have a Pocket Boy on the way because of this thread :facepalm:

I have been wanting a Silky for years but the pics pushed me over the edge :ahhh :D

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 11:53:26 AM

I have been wanting a Silky for years but the pics pushed me over the edge :ahhh :D

:cheers:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 01:48:14 PM

Now your Master Ranger is going to feel like you're making him obsolete.  :cry:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ca Offline BCNZ

Reply #21 on: January 07, 2018, 05:37:01 PM

:tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 02:31:39 AM

Now your Master Ranger is going to feel like you're making him obsolete.  :cry:

No ;) I will use this on my own land in helping me prune and maintain the fruit trees I have but the Master Ranger will be with me still :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: January 08, 2018, 02:32:23 AM
Can't wait to get this and try it out :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :like:

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #24 on: January 08, 2018, 02:45:16 AM

Me too

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #25 on: January 08, 2018, 04:01:30 PM

my Silky also has some teeth missing, but it was undoubtedly abuse by my part (I cut some hidden metal tubing under the bush with it... :facepalm:)
They're tough

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #26 on: January 10, 2018, 06:54:24 PM
My 20tpi pocket boy arrived today

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #27 on: January 10, 2018, 07:07:15 PM
My 20tpi pocket boy arrived today

(Image removed from quote.)

Phwaor!!! Look at that sexy smurf!

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #28 on: January 10, 2018, 07:18:09 PM

my Silky also has some teeth missing, but it was undoubtedly abuse by my part (I cut some hidden metal tubing under the bush with it... :facepalm:)
They're tough

(Image removed from quote.)

:cheers:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #29 on: January 12, 2018, 01:14:20 AM

Me too

What do you two think of your new Pocketboys?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%