Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ultimate Survival Pack and Strata Photo Comparison

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Ultimate Survival Pack and Strata Photo Comparison
on: January 07, 2018, 07:39:06 AM
Got a Gerber BG Ultimate Survival pocket knife as a gift at Christmas. While I was not overly impressed with the quality, it has proven useful the last week I have used it. I DID like the color scheme...A LOT. So, I found a great deal on the Ultimate BG survival MT kit and a Multi-Knife.
The kit came with a cheap light (works though) and a run-of-the-mill fire rod. The sheath casing looks neat, but the years old rubber strap was broken when I opened the clamshell. Not a huge deal, as I'd rather make a nylon strap for it anyway. Not that I am going to be EDC'ing this stuff. I just like the way it looks. :D
The multi-knife is quite well made and feels sturdy with a decent phillips and blade. Ultimate survival multi-knife without a can opener is weird though. Not that I am complaining. I don't use can openers..ever.

To the Multi Tool.
There are two BG Ultimate Survival MTs. The cheaper one is basically a Gerber Suspension. The more expensive multi tool is based on the Gerber Strata with two tool differences. The flat head on the BG is longer and doesn't have the strange cutting notch found on the Strata. And lastly, the pliers have flush anvil-type cutters w/o replaceable blades on the BG. The Strata has anvil-style cutters with replaceable blades. The only other difference between them is cosmetic. The BG has a rubbery/hard plastic grey/orange handle set, while the Strata has a set of grey metal handles with hard plastic accents.
The BG is slightly thicker, but not by much. Weight it pretty close as well.
BG MT is 7.626oz.
Strata is 7.770oz.
BG Multi Knife is 3.051oz.
BG pocket knife is 2.479oz.

The knife has a good pocket clip, but not movable at all. It is light and has partial serrations. I have found the blade steel to be of lower quality than what I am used to, but it does take an edge quickly when needed.
The multi-knife seems sturdy, but I cannot attest to it's long term reliability, as I probably won't carry it.
The multi-tool is pretty much a puffed up Strata. I like the Strata for light duty work. The BG has a nice grip compared to the Strata, which makes the locking system smoother to use. I cannot comment on the long term reliability of the rubbery grips though,  because I probably won't be carrying it.

I hope I have covered enough here to help anyone decide between a BG Ultimate survival MT and a Gerber Strata.
IMHO, both are more of a collector's MT and not something I'd suggest EDC'ing. But, if you love and carry a Strata, the BG version is cheaper and smoother to use on initial impression. But, I think the rubber grips will get dirty and ugly fairly quick.

Now. :worthless:
20180106_235946-1.jpeg
* 20180106_235946-1.jpeg (Filesize: 171.27 KB)
20180107_000044-1.jpeg
* 20180107_000044-1.jpeg (Filesize: 76.59 KB)
20180107_000107-1.jpeg
* 20180107_000107-1.jpeg (Filesize: 70.35 KB)
20180107_000150-1.jpeg
* 20180107_000150-1.jpeg (Filesize: 147.6 KB)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 07:43:34 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Ultimate Survival Pack and Strata Photo Comparison
Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 07:40:26 AM
More.
20180107_000304-1.jpeg
* 20180107_000304-1.jpeg (Filesize: 128.97 KB)
20180107_000329-1.jpeg
* 20180107_000329-1.jpeg (Filesize: 110.97 KB)
20180107_000514-1.jpeg
* 20180107_000514-1.jpeg (Filesize: 142.62 KB)
20180107_000646-1.jpeg
* 20180107_000646-1.jpeg (Filesize: 99.96 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 07:42:41 AM
Last pics and bonus shot with BG MTs hanging with the Gerber gang.
Hate to admit it, but I really like the BG color scheme.  :D
20180107_000731-1.jpeg
* 20180107_000731-1.jpeg (Filesize: 57.92 KB)
20180107_001015-1.jpeg
* 20180107_001015-1.jpeg (Filesize: 169 KB)
20180106_234347-1.jpeg
* 20180106_234347-1.jpeg (Filesize: 99.53 KB)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 06:43:33 PM
I love the Strata design and the BG seems close enough to be useful and a good MT.  :tu:
The multi-knife reminds me of myt LM Crater but knowing the quality of the BG Line I'm sure it's a few steps below in all respects and features

the BG Line gets much hate and bashing but probably from more experienced users. They make affordable stuff that is generally decent for an entry level user and I agree that the color scheme is very attractive. One of the best out there  :o
I've been intrigued by that sheath ever since Chako reviewed his, looks very decent.

I'm sure thousands of people get by just fine with their Suspensions, Grylls folders and so   :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 07:50:48 PM
I have the BG Ultimate Tool Pack, and honestly, the BG-Strata is close to one of my favorite offerings from Gerber. I also like the color scheme. it has a good mix of tools that all do their job well. It fits strangely well in my hand. And, honestly, the light that comes with it is pretty much my idea of a perfect camp task light. like 6-7 lumens range.

I really rather like the sheath design. The rubber strap on mine is still fine.

Someone, and I have to beg forgiveness for forgetting who, also sent me the plier head from a Strata to do a swap on my BG tool with, so I could have the replaceable cutters... which I've never gotten around to swap.

Yeah, the ferro rod is pretty stock, but it has a comfortable handle, and makes a good accessory in this kit. This bundle, and a few other things, and you have a really decent emergency kit.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 10:45:43 PM
Thank you for the input Peacant and Lynn!

After reading your thoughts yesterday, I used it(BG Strata) for a day and a half as my sole MT. It has grown on me in just a day and a half. I was surprised at the overall strength. It has some flex and squishiness that I don't experience in my Wave/Spirit/MP400/etc, but it has proven to be strong enough for medium duty tasks and I didn't take it easy on it either.
The biggest issue I had with the Strata was the smooth tool locks being difficult to operate. The BG Ultimate Survival MT has rubbery inserts that make the locks really easy to use.
Lynn,
It is great to know you've gotten some good use out of yours.  It is very comfortable to use for sure!

I will be in the Spirit challenge on the 10th, but after that I am going to give the BG a try as my needle nose MT in my EDC.  :)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 02:09:52 PM
The Strata is a totally underused tool IMHO.  I really like it, and the only thing I didn't like about the original version was that I found the lock release a bit difficult to use.  That has been solved with the BG version, which I have yet to get.

In general I find the Strata to be a well made, well thought out heavy duty multitool that just doesn't get enough credit.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 03:34:05 PM
I asked around about the Strata a while ago, but had decided against it. I may reconsider given the nice things everyone has said.  :like:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 06:57:16 AM
The Strata is a totally underused tool IMHO.  I really like it, and the only thing I didn't like about the original version was that I found the lock release a bit difficult to use.  That has been solved with the BG version, which I have yet to get.

In general I find the Strata to be a well made, well thought out heavy duty multitool that just doesn't get enough credit.

Def
The BG handles really take the Strata to a point where I cannot find much to complain about. If you see a BG Strata for a good price, it is definitely a good tool to have!

I asked around about the Strata a while ago, but had decided against it. I may reconsider given the nice things everyone has said.  :like:
If you do, the BG version comes in a pack that can be had for less than the Strata alone! Comes with a flashlight and fire steel too! :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%