Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

2018 New SOG

Kampfer · 94 · 11472

us Offline APS

Re: 2018 New SOG
Reply #60 on: January 28, 2018, 11:25:00 PM
I've been carrying a Leatherman S2 for a couple of years now and the PowerPint is very interesting to me.  I do use the large flat blade screwdriver on my S2 often, and the PowerPint appears to not have anything other than tiny flat blades. 

us Offline ChrisEDC247

Reply #61 on: January 30, 2018, 05:50:48 AM
I have a feeling the PowerPint is going to be a big hit for SOG. It takes all the features of a bigger tool like the PowerAccess and cram it into smaller and easier to carry package. I hope they fix all the small lock issue they had on the access it and it makes the Pint perfect.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Well, that name sure is hard to google. It keeps asking "did you mean dog power point"...  :rofl:

PowerPint seemed too small to me...  :think: I'm looking forward to reading a review  :popcorn:

And man this design is so sexy! That aggressive design they started in 2017 makes me drool! :drool:
I'm reminded of a star destroyer.  :drool:

Exactly!!!

Geez, this is my third edit... I took a screenshot from the PowerAccess Deluxe, see below. The handle looks too hollow, it only has support on two sides! I wonder how robust that is :( Does not feel reliable :-/

Edit: I misread your post and thought you were talking about the power pint. Looking at the video for the power deluxe I see what you mean. Hopefully those thinner handles aren't a big hot spot in the hand. I think we'll have a better idea when Shot show hits next week.
Can’t be as bad as the PST.  :D

I have a coworker who uses a PST II for work everyday. I tells him, "you know they make new ones with smooth handles and it's not much bigger."

His response: "If the tool doesn't hurt your hand how do you know if you're working hard?"

:/

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: January 30, 2018, 09:47:45 AM
I have a feeling the PowerPint is going to be a big hit for SOG. It takes all the features of a bigger tool like the PowerAccess and cram it into smaller and easier to carry package. I hope they fix all the small lock issue they had on the access it and it makes the Pint perfect.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Well, that name sure is hard to google. It keeps asking "did you mean dog power point"...  :rofl:

PowerPint seemed too small to me...  :think: I'm looking forward to reading a review  :popcorn:

And man this design is so sexy! That aggressive design they started in 2017 makes me drool! :drool:
I'm reminded of a star destroyer.  :drool:

Exactly!!!

Geez, this is my third edit... I took a screenshot from the PowerAccess Deluxe, see below. The handle looks too hollow, it only has support on two sides! I wonder how robust that is :( Does not feel reliable :-/

Edit: I misread your post and thought you were talking about the power pint. Looking at the video for the power deluxe I see what you mean. Hopefully those thinner handles aren't a big hot spot in the hand. I think we'll have a better idea when Shot show hits next week.

I have a coworker who uses a PST II for work everyday. I tells him, "you know they make new ones with smooth handles and it's not much bigger."

His response: "If the tool doesn't hurt your hand how do you know if you're working hard?"

Sounds like a real masochist ;)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #63 on: January 30, 2018, 10:06:32 AM
snipped
Snipped

Snipped

Sounds like a real masochist ;)
:rofl:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

it Offline balvenie

Reply #64 on: February 02, 2018, 08:26:52 AM
I was wondering when the PowerPint and PA deluxe will be available for purchasing. Any news?
I have nothing against corkscrew, i'm Italian!!

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #65 on: February 02, 2018, 02:05:08 PM
I was wondering when the PowerPint and PA deluxe will be available for purchasing. Any news?
Soon, I was told just after SHOT SOG was getting their first shipment from their factory. They will be sent to retailers right after that, I'd say a couple weeks at best.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

it Offline balvenie

Reply #66 on: February 02, 2018, 08:12:58 PM
 :tu: :drink:
I have nothing against corkscrew, i'm Italian!!

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #67 on: March 13, 2018, 08:57:48 AM
Quote from: SOG
Keep your eyes peeled during May and June for the PowerPint
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #68 on: March 30, 2018, 10:59:33 PM
from the minute 1 onwards there is a bit of showing and discussion of the latest SOG tools

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlDsFCRQ9FQ

the mini sized ones look really promising - complete toolset, OHO opening, C.Leverage, decent space savings and sensible organisation with minimal waste, and also outside opening tools for some, a huge plus -

Best 2018 offerings in the multitool world IMO, at least based on initial impressions

:salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #69 on: March 31, 2018, 02:19:45 AM
from the minute 1 onwards there is a bit of showing and discussion of the latest SOG tools

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlDsFCRQ9FQ

the mini sized ones look really promising - complete toolset, OHO opening, C.Leverage, decent space savings and sensible organisation with minimal waste, and also outside opening tools for some, a huge plus -

Best 2018 offerings in the multitool world IMO, at least based on initial impressions

:salute:
Agreed! :cheers:

SOG seems to be investing tons of money in R&D. Hope they can handle the QC issues. If they can, that will be awesome!
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: April 01, 2018, 01:28:27 AM
The PowerPint looks an amazing size. If it's a reasonable price within the UK, I might have to get one to see if it can dethrone the Vic Spirit...

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #71 on: April 01, 2018, 12:53:07 PM
The PowerPint looks an amazing size. If it's a reasonable price within the UK, I might have to get one to see if it can dethrone the Vic Spirit...

yeah that's my favorite of the bunch. Looks impressive and to me OH Opening pliers are very useful  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Offline Tanstaafl

Reply #72 on: April 01, 2018, 02:43:01 PM

Just looked on Knife center and its £45 delivered to the UK  :) defiantly ordering one ( no shipping price yet in the MTO store)

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: April 02, 2018, 01:25:33 AM

Just looked on Knife center and its £45 delivered to the UK  :) defiantly ordering one ( no shipping price yet in the MTO store)

:o

What?!

£45 new? Delivered?!

hr Offline Vjeko Posavac

Reply #74 on: April 02, 2018, 10:37:31 AM

:o

What?!

£45 new? Delivered?!

WHAT?!?! Are you sure!
Delivery for Croatia is 54$

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: April 02, 2018, 06:23:49 PM
I wonder if the lock for the knife could be removed or it could be swapped out with something else, to end up with a UK legal tool...  :drool:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #76 on: April 02, 2018, 08:32:36 PM
I wonder if the lock for the knife could be removed or it could be swapped out with something else, to end up with a UK legal tool...  :drool:
You can remove the blade and grind off the lock piece on the blade tang. Then the blade will act more like a slip joint. At least in theory, if it is similar to the PowerAccess lock. :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 08:33:38 PM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: April 02, 2018, 11:55:38 PM
You can remove the blade and grind off the lock piece on the blade tang. Then the blade will act more like a slip joint. At least in theory, if it is similar to the PowerAccess lock. :)

Hmm, companies should already do this and sell a legal version for countries like the UK where locking blades are not allowed. Surely it wouldn't cost them as much as the few extra pounds they could charge?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #78 on: April 03, 2018, 12:10:38 AM

Hmm, companies should already do this and sell a legal version for countries like the UK where locking blades are not allowed. Surely it wouldn't cost them as much as the few extra pounds they could charge?
I agree. But, SOG is not likely to do that anytime soon.
I think if car companies can produce right-side drive cars for the U.K. then SOG could produce a batch of non-locking knife MTs, but I don't think any MT maker has done that. Sounds like a money maker to me. The U.K would be a large amount of potential buyers/users of legalized MTs. :think:

Offline Tanstaafl

Reply #79 on: April 09, 2018, 10:46:17 AM

Don't forget tho that in the UK knives of nearly any type (not flick knives push daggers etc) are neither legal or illegal per se,  it all depends on the "with good reason" part of the law....

Basically this means you may carry any knife if you have good reason to do so......Work leisure etc.... so I happily carry fixed and lockers at work because they are part of my work, yes we still get the odd copper being a bit overzealous ( OAP arrested for having a SAK in his car)...

But carrying a multi tool at a nightclub will see you done.

IIRC SOG and others do blade-less multitools

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #80 on: April 09, 2018, 04:03:41 PM

Don't forget tho that in the UK knives of nearly any type (not flick knives push daggers etc) are neither legal or illegal per se,  it all depends on the "with good reason" part of the law....

Basically this means you may carry any knife if you have good reason to do so......Work leisure etc.... so I happily carry fixed and lockers at work because they are part of my work, yes we still get the odd copper being a bit overzealous ( OAP arrested for having a SAK in his car)...

But carrying a multi tool at a nightclub will see you done.

IIRC SOG and others do blade-less multitools
Thank you for the info! Interesting how the police are directly responsible for judging a tool at their discretion.   :ahhh

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #81 on: April 10, 2018, 12:08:24 PM
considering the latest proposed Bill for UK Knife laws, maybe even SOGs have their days counted in that country  :P
My toys:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #82 on: April 10, 2018, 04:19:12 PM
considering the latest proposed Bill for UK Knife laws, maybe even SOGs have their days counted in that country  :P
The MT companies, especially SOG, need to start producing MTs with just the blade that doesn't lock for certain markets. Even Canada has fell into non-locking knife laws, so it seems it would be prudent for MT makers to make MTs with only the blade non-locking. Bladeless MTs are o.k. for this situation, but everyone needs some kind of cutting tool on them! :ahhh

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #83 on: April 11, 2018, 06:05:02 PM
The MT companies, especially SOG, need to start producing MTs with just the blade that doesn't lock for certain markets. Even Canada has fell into non-locking knife laws, so it seems it would be prudent for MT makers to make MTs with only the blade non-locking. Bladeless MTs are o.k. for this situation, but everyone needs some kind of cutting tool on them! :ahhh

100%  :salute:

after some excellent non locking folders both CRKT and Spyderco seem to bet on slipjoint blade Multitools for 2018  :tu:
My toys:

us Offline LoveHate

Reply #84 on: April 27, 2018, 11:31:30 PM
I just received the power access deluxe today... upon opening the package it was quite oily. The tool itself isn’t bad but you can tell the quality has dropped since my made in America powerlock was made. The locking bars weren’t bent evenly and one stuck out a few mm from the handles and had to be bent in place. The plier head is about .5mm off from the tips lining up... the tool locks work fine but one is harder to release then the other... the grinds on the can opener are slightly uneven... the awl is sharp but has a funky spot on the backside like it was miscut.... and of course the file is about as useless as all sog files 😂 overall tho it’s not bad and thankfully still flicks open like the powerlock. All the minor flaws aren’t that bad tho and don’t change any functions.the lock bar was easy to fix. Overall I’m happy...... just hope the rather thin lockbar pins and springs don’t snap... only time will tell

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: April 28, 2018, 12:13:24 AM
Wrong thread
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 02:20:44 AM by kaput »
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #87 on: April 28, 2018, 01:33:45 AM
Thank you very much for the detailed overview, LoveHate !  :salute:

I pre-ordered mine from here (MT.o) and it is still showing "processing in progress". :ahhh

I am still very excited to get mine! The regular access had flaws, but I was able to fix them (even though I shouldn't need to). The QC is probably the biggest reason SOG can't gain more market share. Their prices are close to U.S and Swiss made tools. But, with half the quality control. Too much R&D and not enough QC.. :facepalm:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 01:35:28 AM by gerleatherberman »

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #88 on: April 28, 2018, 06:21:31 PM
My preorder from the MTO Store got delivered this morning  :mail:
It’s a gorgeous tool and love the quality  :drool: :drool:
Click link for more info that I have posted:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,77059.0.html
click on pics for better quality
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 06:23:51 PM by Wspeed »
fail to prepare prepare to fail

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #89 on: April 28, 2018, 07:17:35 PM
I know it's not cool to say, but at least it's honest. I'm tiny bit jealous.  :like:
Congrats on getting yours, Wspeed! :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%