Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

2018 New SOG

Kampfer · 94 · 11467

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Re: 2018 New SOG
Reply #90 on: April 28, 2018, 07:20:41 PM
I know it's not cool to say, but at least it's honest. I'm tiny bit jealous.  :like:
Congrats on getting yours, Wspeed! :cheers:
Thanks  :cheers:
At least your honest  :rofl: :rofl: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #91 on: April 28, 2018, 07:36:27 PM
I know it's not cool to say, but at least it's honest. I'm tiny bit jealous.  :like:
Congrats on getting yours, Wspeed! :cheers:
Thanks  :cheers:
At least your honest  :rofl: :rofl: :like:

:multi:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #92 on: May 18, 2018, 08:30:30 AM
I feel like this was discussed before but I could not find anything on the forum  :think: :think:

The 2018 SOG tools have that "matte" finish compared to the older shiny finishes. Does that make a difference when it comes to resistance to rust? It feels like the microscopic dents and holes in the matte finish makes the tool more prone to rusting. Also, on SOG website the older tools are said to be "420 stainless steel" while the new models are just "stainless". Any ideas?

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #93 on: May 18, 2018, 09:13:14 AM
Older SOGs had polished handles and really early SOG pliers heads were polished. Starting around the time SOG moved production overseas, the plier heads were finely machined(ground) and looked "shiny", but that isn't true polishing.  Throughout, some implements had a high polish, with exception of a few implements(ex. Phillips) that are finely machined(not actually polished).
Theoretically, the "stone wash" finish should be more resistant to corrosion than a finely machined finish. A machined finish, which is essentially a "grind", which has thousands of peaks/valleys when viewed under heavy magnification. The stone wash has a fairly even surface and will prove more rust resistant than a "bead blasted" or "satin" finish.
The handles on the newer tools not being polished shouldn't be an issue if you keep the non-used surfaces oiled a couple time a year.
High polish has no equal in corrosion resistance, but most other MTs have a satin/bead blast/etc finish and hold up well anyway. So, a high polish isn't exclusively corrosion resistant. Steel type plays a big role as well. Tools with high polish can and do develop rust without care and oiling.

The SOG stone wash finish is NOT a bead blast finish. It is what it says it is. The parts are tumbled with slightly abrasive stones to achieve the "stone wash". This also smooths the edges as well.
I imagine the steel is similar in composition to other SOGs,  but since so many people put too much importance on the "type of steel" instead of the "type vs. what it is for", SOG may not want to put it on their site(or someone didn't know). But, if asked politely, they would probably find out for you.

Edit: don't forget the biggest problem polished handles have. It is slippery. The Stone wash feels a bit less slippery in the hand.
SOG still makes the PowerAssist and PowerLock, so they aren't really replacing the old styles, but they seem to be trying to get in on a different MT user market. The "cool"/"tacticool" style started in the PowerPlay, but has evolved to the nice style we see on the Access. :cheers:
You want the polished SOG tools? You can find them for sale everywhere.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:23:16 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%