Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multitool categories- Pliers based, scissors based, knife based & driver based ?

dks · 44 · 2096

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
To avoid having too many categories I will argue that all tools centered around a plier like action are in the same basic category regardless of the actual jaw implementation. The jaws can be pliers, scissors, locking pliers, branch cutters or similar, but the basic workings are similar.

It would be tempting to define it as everything focused around a pivot point and movable handles, but as not all pliers need to work around a pivot point that might become an issue later. A tool with focus on moveable handles used to multiply forces on at least two jaws might be a more catch all definition.

something like the MP650 would fit that description perfectly. Removable head to add shears, pliers, and potentially other types of heads    :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
I only need 2 categories, tools I own and tools I don't own.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
I only need 2 categories, tools I own and tools I don't own.

:)

Not all that useful for others though :)

It seems to me that this will end up like some sort of classification tree. At the top all tools should fall in only one category, and dks is definately onto something with the simplifed approach mentioned above. I'd suggest just cutting to just top categories though - multi-part tools and one-piece tools. Tools with removable stuff would then naturally be multi-part tools, no tools would be able to fit both categories at once, and it is easy to see where something belongs.

From there it gets complicated as multi-tools do try to be many things at once with varying degrees of success and compromises at that. Most do have a clear real tool origin though, and one thing they do almost as good as specialized tools. (With actual function being more important than the looks I think). For all others there could be two catch all categories; some glorified jack-of-all-trades category for those that do several things well, and as Lynn suggested a garbage/ mangled frankenstein category for those that do nothing well?

Why are we categorizing by the way? Someone making a database?

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
No specific reason for the thread.

A lot of these categories have been in use for years and since I got a Centredrive recently I was wondering if there could be a screwdriver-centric/based category.

If someone wants to make a database then more power to them. 
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
How about "magic mushrooms"-based tools like this thing of beauty? ???

::)

:facepalm:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
There are one piece sheet part tools, but that one is more just sheety art.. I like it for all the wrong reasons!  :D  Yes, I am a bit ashamed about it too - multitool guilty pleasure?.  :facepalm:
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
That one is in a special "Bike Tool" category :)

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
That one is in a special "Bike Tool" category :)

Yes, very "special" indeed! :facepalm:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Which way you lean on this sort of discussion depends more on your personality/preferences rather than any "objective truth".

IMO most people are either "Classifiers" or "Non-classifiers".

Most "Non-Classifiers" don't really see the need to classify stuff themselves, but will sometimes use the information organised by a "Classifier" to help them acquire something more suited to their purpose.

Within the "Classifiers" group you have two main sub-types:
  "Splitters" who like to separate things into very numerous divisions based on small (albeit almost insignificant to some people) differences.
  "Lumpers" who like to group things into a small number of divisions based on perceived similarities.

I'm definitely a Classifier, with mainly a Lumper outlook, but with some Splitter tendencies (especially when it comes to classifying early "Mr Pinchies")    :pok:   ;)
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
I’m a campaigner for the “SAKs are not knife based multitools” group.  :whistle:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Which way you lean on this sort of discussion depends more on your personality/preferences rather than any "objective truth".

IMO most people are either "Classifiers" or "Non-classifiers".

Most "Non-Classifiers" don't really see the need to classify stuff themselves, but will sometimes use the information organised by a "Classifier" to help them acquire something more suited to their purpose.

Within the "Classifiers" group you have two main sub-types:
  "Splitters" who like to separate things into very numerous divisions based on small (albeit almost insignificant to some people) differences.
  "Lumpers" who like to group things into a small number of divisions based on perceived similarities.

I'm definitely a Classifier, with mainly a Lumper outlook, but with some Splitter tendencies (especially when it comes to classifying early "Mr Pinchies")    :pok:   ;)

well, no "Non-Classifier" would ever make that post, so that's pretty clear   :rofl:
I'm also a classifier for all and most things  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Offline tonyg

old thread but what is the model SAK pictured at the beginning?

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
old thread but what is the model SAK pictured at the beginning?

The SAK in the first post in this thread is the Motorist.
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Victorinox+Motorist

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
here, an one month old thread (since the last post)  is not classed as old  :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%