Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

NexTool Flagship Multitool - Looks good!

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
NexTool Flagship Multitool - Looks good!
on: January 08, 2018, 01:56:30 PM
Kind of an interesting take on the OUTU design.

NexTool KT5012 Flagship Multitool.

From the pics, there are some differences with the OUTU design we know.
-Saw instead of that silly file
-Blade is now OHO and kind of sheepsfoot
-Plierhead seems beefier
-Metric scale measurements on Phillips arm
-Phillips itself seems better formed
-Nail nick on scissors handle changed position
-Pocket clip changed position.

I got an OUTU, but these improvements are really intriguing. I really like this one.  :facepalm:

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Re: NexTool Flagship Multitool - Looks good!
Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 03:20:43 PM
They're going for $30 on ebay. The design changes look pretty good. If they've stepped up the quality it would easily be worth that.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 04:30:23 PM
Looks nice. Someone (who is definitely not me) needs to get one and give a review.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 05:20:52 PM
It´s 55 Euro on German Amazon. Too much for me, I´m not really an MT guy but I like that it has both pliers and scissors.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 02:09:50 AM
     Considering I got my Outu on Ebay for $10.00, $30.00 would be too much to pay for it. Besides the saw, it pretty much looks like the Outu with different scales. Could be worth $30.00 if it was made out of better steel and had a locking blade and saw.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 05:06:15 AM
:mail:
(Image removed from quote.)

I am quite interested to hear your thoughts on this thing.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 05:14:49 AM
I expect you to give that tool the full Lynn treatment.

And remember, if your hands aren't bleeding, or the tool isn't broken, you're not trying hard enough.  :rofl:

In all seriousness. I am excited to hear your feedback on that thing.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 05:25:51 AM
Aye, review and comparison coming soon. :like:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 03:37:03 PM
It appears there is an upgraded version available (the one I found is Xiaomi branded)

Xiaomi HUOHOU

It has replaceable wire-cutters, but most interestingly, it appears that you can completely disasemble it.
1.jpg
* 1.jpg (Filesize: 99.86 KB)
2.jpg
* 2.jpg (Filesize: 87.47 KB)
3.jpg
* 3.jpg (Filesize: 91.67 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 03:42:15 PM
Don't tell me the only phillips is that thing on the gut hook.  :facepalm:

Apart from that, it looks quite tidy.  :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 12:14:51 PM
Don't tell me the only phillips is that thing on the gut hook.  :facepalm:

Apart from that, it looks quite tidy.  :tu:

I guess as you are gutting something and see a Phillips screw that needs tightening you can be very accomodating :D

It looks pretty cool and useful overall though :o :like:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 02:02:55 PM
 :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
That looks so nice! I do not mind the guthook Phillips, although the Phillips on the original Flagship is very robust.
I hope the cutters are actually removable and not like on the Roxon Storm.

In any case, this is another new design with the monster scissors. :like:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 02:10:52 PM
Oh baby! Hard wire-cutters and glass breaker too?  :like:
And the bottle opener removes the entire bottle.  :D

« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 02:27:16 PM by ReamerPunch »

Offline 1LL1

Reply #15 on: April 30, 2019, 02:49:57 AM
Here is the new KT5020(licensed by/made by Xiaomi?), next to the OUTU, looks pretty nice, a little bit bigger, not much

got my coupon code here (I'm not associated with them) got it shipped for $28.xx
https://couponsfromchina.com/2019/02/11/xiaomi-nextool-16-1-multitool-coupon-price-SPAMCORP/

IMG_8079.JPG
* IMG_8079.JPG (Filesize: 90.42 KB)
IMG_8080.JPG
* IMG_8080.JPG (Filesize: 92.25 KB)
IMG_8081.JPG
* IMG_8081.JPG (Filesize: 65.08 KB)
IMG_8082.JPG
* IMG_8082.JPG (Filesize: 59.68 KB)

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #17 on: May 01, 2019, 06:39:17 AM
RP,

To be completely honest, the Roxon 801 seems like a way better tool overall. The NexTool looks cool, but the drivers are awful looking and the frame looks less refined than the Roxon 801. So, besides a hard-wire thing in the back of the pliers pivot, replaceable cutters(if you can even buy extras), a longer PE blade, slightly better can opener, and locking saw; what is the point? You lose the nice Roxon file(with nice driver on tip), fantastic bottle opener, corkscrew, locking phillips driver(which mounts the bit driver), and the nail puller. Am I missing something?  :think:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline BauerMobileToolSystems

• My JerryRig tips: www.facebook.com/BauerCustom
Reply #18 on: May 01, 2019, 06:42:39 AM
RP,

To be completely honest, the Roxon 801 seems like a way better tool overall. The NexTool looks cool, but the drivers are awful looking and the frame looks less refined than the Roxon 801. So, besides a hard-wire thing in the back of the pliers pivot, replaceable cutters(if you can even buy extras), a longer PE blade, slightly better can opener, and locking saw; what is the point? You lose the nice Roxon file(with nice driver on tip), fantastic bottle opener, corkscrew, locking phillips driver(which mounts the bit driver), and the nail puller. Am I missing something?  :think:
The Roxon is great but it really really really should have a pocket clip! & locking saw blade

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: May 01, 2019, 06:53:26 AM
The Roxon is great but it really really really should have a pocket clip! & locking saw blade
Ah, I missed the pocket clip when I was thinking about the NexTool.  :ahhh

I guess the weird drivers are my biggest turn off. The Roxon phillips/adapter mount locks.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #20 on: May 01, 2019, 01:53:41 PM
There's a few points of interest to me, and I am probably going to get the Xiaomi. Let me explain.

First of all, I have the original NexTool Flagship. It would be great to compare it to the Xiaomi upgrade, and see how the quality is.
Also, the Xiaomi looks a little bulkier, as I see it in the video. The original Flagship is quite slender, great for pocket-carry.

I cannot open the original's blade one-handed. They messed up to opening hole. From what I've seen, this is no longer an issue.
The saw is better on the Xiaomi. On the original, they left a lot of the edge without teeth. And it locks on the Xiaomi.

There are new features on the Xiaomi. Glass-breaker, though i have never seen one like that. Sure, it is not as pointy as a carbide one, but then again, how well would it work?
Replaceable wire-cutters. I am assuming they made them like that so you could put LM ones in there. The shape is the same. I have asked reviewers about this, but nobody has tested if the Xiaomi can have LM wire-cutters. If it can, that's great news, provided the pliers are actually decent.
Openers. Not really thrilled to see these added to it, since we lost the drivers that the original had. The Phillips in particular was very robust.

I am very excited to see this design taken a step further. The Flagship was nice, definitely better than the Outu. And now there's an updated version, with new features even.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: May 01, 2019, 01:56:29 PM
Will be looking forward to reading your review of it, RP! :popcorn:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #22 on: May 01, 2019, 02:05:06 PM
RP,

The Rebar is a way better tool than the Coast MT, but I bought the Coast anyway. :P
I have gottten quite a few MTs that were obviously inferior to others I already owned. But then again, some are fine. The off-brands have come a long way.

Compared to the Roxon Storm, the Xiaomi lacks a thing or two. The main loss is the great Phillips, which locks and also takes the bit adapter. The Xiaomi even loses the great Phillips of the original Flagship.

I am very interested to see if I can fit LM wire-cutters in the Xiaomi. That would be nice.
The main benefit when compared to the Storm, however, would be the weight. The Xiaomi is lighter, and has a pocket-clip, so it will be easier to edc. Sure, you lose a couple of stuff, mainly the bits, but then again, I have carried other MTs that do not have bits.

From what I can see in the videos of the Xiaomi, fit and finish seems decent. I think better than the original Flagship. Plus a glass-breaker and replaceable wire-cutters which I'd like to test. Cord cutter, whatever. Could have been a nice reamer.

It is definitely interesting, though. Another MT with the massive scissors. :like:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #23 on: May 01, 2019, 02:12:38 PM
 :think:
 :facepalm:

The can opener seems to be placed too deep in the handle.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: May 01, 2019, 02:27:42 PM
Hmmm... reminds me of the swap trick I had to do on my Roxon to bring the can opener towards the edge of the handle. Earlier models had that problem. Copycats >:D
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: May 01, 2019, 03:32:50 PM
The Rebar is a way better tool than the Coast MT, but I bought the Coast anyway. :P
I have gottten quite a few MTs that were obviously inferior to others I already owned. But then again, some are fine. The off-brands have come a long way.

Compared to the Roxon Storm, the Xiaomi lacks a thing or two. The main loss is the great Phillips, which locks and also takes the bit adapter. The Xiaomi even loses the great Phillips of the original Flagship.

I am very interested to see if I can fit LM wire-cutters in the Xiaomi. That would be nice.
The main benefit when compared to the Storm, however, would be the weight. The Xiaomi is lighter, and has a pocket-clip, so it will be easier to edc. Sure, you lose a couple of stuff, mainly the bits, but then again, I have carried other MTs that do not have bits.

From what I can see in the videos of the Xiaomi, fit and finish seems decent. I think better than the original Flagship. Plus a glass-breaker and replaceable wire-cutters which I'd like to test. Cord cutter, whatever. Could have been a nice reamer.

It is definitely interesting, though. Another MT with the massive scissors. :like:
If we're bringing up a Rebar, I will point out the Rebar can be had for NexTool prices sometimes in used condition.  :pok:

J/K. You know I like my C & C tools. I've got dozens of them
 :rofl:

The phillips on the end of a non-locking strap cutter irks me, but who knows, it could have sak-level spring retention and be usable. If you like yours, I'll probably buy one. :cheers:

My last C & C was that huge Kilimanjaro Magnus. The NexTool should be better than that, so the bar isn't all that high right now.  :rofl:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #26 on: May 01, 2019, 05:47:46 PM
A rock is a better multi-tool than the Magnus. :rofl:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #27 on: May 01, 2019, 05:55:24 PM
The openers and cord cutter seem to have good retention, but the cord-cutter seems too thin to have a Phillips on its tip. Not to mention it does not lock, and is bladed, so, not the best implement I've seen.

There are three short implements there. Have a claw opener, like Leatherman, to cover the openers, and then, in the two remaining slots, have a nice, thick, square shank Phillips, so that you can fit the Ganzo adapter and get more use out of the tool. Retention seems adequate, the cord cutter is not really needed on a tool that has a one-handed blade.

I am pretty sure I'll get it. Lots of reviews on it, mostly Russian, but the handles seem smooth, and everything works on it. As for Leatherman wire-cutters fitting in there, I guess I'll have to test that out myself. Even if they do not fit, I imaging they'll start selling replacements separately. If so, I'll probably get a set. And they might even fit my LM tools. Fingers crossed.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #28 on: May 01, 2019, 06:11:59 PM
Hmmm... reminds me of the swap trick I had to do on my Roxon to bring the can opener towards the edge of the handle. Earlier models had that problem. Copycats >:D

Yup, just like I feared. Looks like I'll have to swap the can opener position again, like in the Storm. :facepalm:
Can opener could not hook on the can when used right-handed. It is too deep in the handle. Left-handed it works.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62