Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hiking/backpacking/bumming in the woods footwear

styx · 29 · 1287

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Hiking/backpacking/bumming in the woods footwear
on: January 09, 2018, 12:12:18 PM
Since we've got a work boot thread and a lot of us enjoy the outdoors, isn't it odd we haven't gone into a discussion of our favourite brands, how they hold up for various things we do (I doubt that one pair of shoes can be excellent at every task, weather and environment).

These are the Karrimor Lowlands boots (which are apparently sold only in the Eastern market  :twak: ), I've done just a smidgen over 350km / 217 miles in 'em and as you'll see in the pics only one issue has developed in that time. As a side note I paid about 270HRK for them which is roughly 43.25 US dollars.

The left shoe is in rather good shape and by the state of the soles I'd give it another 50km before it busted. The right shoe however has develop a slight issue. The toothpick just shows where the sole has been used up so most things can get through it straight to your heel.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/FbZgSy]

All that being said, I'll certainly be looking at these boots again since the value of them is incredible. Now if only Karrimor's representatives would bother replying when one contacts them (actually Karrimor if y'all want to hire someone for that, I'm available)
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Re: Hiking/backpacking/bumming in the woods footwear
Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 09:14:37 AM
Sad and expensive topic for me, not a lot of choice locally and I wear a EU #13  :facepalm:

Merrell is about it.

I got a pair for the Fish River hike, but I realised I can't wear them while preparing for the Khomas Highland hike or I'll have to replace them......

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 11:54:18 AM
I bought Zamberlans after I got blisters under my big toenails from my previous boots (Kathmandu brand). They were too small and my socks too thick with very wet conditions so swollen feet  gave me big issues. Yet to take the Zamberlans on a decent outing but they're very comfortable

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 12:02:20 PM
I took advantage of a New Year discount code to get a new pair of Keen Targhee II shoes to replace an old pair of waterproof Keens that I'd gone through the heel cup on.  Don't really need them for hiking but do spend plenty of time chasing the kids through muddy puddles so something that could withstand a bit of water is advised.  Seem pretty good so far, though they might be a touch big for summer use.  Fine with a thick pair of socks. :tu:

hr Offline styx

Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 02:14:53 PM
so I'm not the only one struggling to find a good pair that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Nice to see that the Keens are working out

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 02:52:38 PM
I know it's like sacrilegious, but I've never been a big hiking boot fan. I typically stick with trail running type sneakers. My hiking is fair weather, if I'm just bumming around in the woods it's the work boots that come out.

I've enjoyed New Balance trail sneakers a good bit, hiked the tallest peak on the eastern side of the state's in my most recent pair after wearing them only once previously and my feet felt great after.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

hr Offline styx

Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 09:33:37 PM
I know it's like sacrilegious, but I've never been a big hiking boot fan. I typically stick with trail running type sneakers. My hiking is fair weather, if I'm just bumming around in the woods it's the work boots that come out.

I've enjoyed New Balance trail sneakers a good bit, hiked the tallest peak on the eastern side of the state's in my most recent pair after wearing them only once previously and my feet felt great after.

why is that sacrilegious? what works for you is the best thing for you. to be honest a few years ago I didn't even know there was such a thing as a trail runner or a dedicated boot that isn't make for military and leo use

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 07:22:55 AM
One of the ladies in our Fish River group hiked with Solomon trainers..........I couldn't, too big & fat, broken ankle guaranteed. Worked for her, her feet were in much better shape than there previous hike with boots.

hr Offline styx

Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 09:41:27 AM
that's just the thing. different things work for different people and we should be celebrating that since without it we'd all have the same gear, same approaches and same can openers

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 01:02:10 PM
One of the ladies in our Fish River group hiked with Solomon trainers..........I couldn't, too big & fat, broken ankle guaranteed. Worked for her, her feet were in much better shape than their previous hike with boots.
:poh:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 04:56:17 PM
I bought a pair of Keen Targhee hikers a couple of years ago and I love them.  I think they are an older version, but they are very similar to these:

https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-TARGHEE-EXP-MID-WP.html?dwvar_M-TARGHEE-EXP-MID-WP_color=1017718&cgid=activity_hiking_mens

They are my go to hiking/outdoors boot for autumn and spring, but they are slightly on the small side and so aren't comfortable with thicker socks.  It's been a bit of a frustration for me, but when I got them they were heavily discounted, and for $30ish I really couldn't say no.

During the summer I try to stick to sandals, flip flops or ventilated boat shoes as much as possible.  I have a couple of pairs of Keens that I wear in the summer.  Less often are the Keen UNEEK, which are kind of cool, in a remarkably ugly sort of way.

https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-UNEEK-MONOCHROME.html?dwvar_M-UNEEK-MONOCHROME_color=1014097&cgid=mens_footwear_sandals

Mine are black and grey, and they are comfortable, but I find a bit of a pain to get on and off quickly, so usually in the summer I stick to the Keen Daytona Sandals:

https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-DAYTONA.html?dwvar_M-DAYTONA_color=1003032&cgid=mens_footwear_sandals

I have a pair of flip flops with memory foam and another pair with the rubber pegs that are supposed to massage your feet, and those largely round out my summer footwear, unless I need something with a more aggressive tread or that holds better to your foot.  In those cases out comes the Techamphibions:

https://www.salomon.com/int/product/techamphibian-3.html

I love these things- they are basically a normal sneaker but with mesh where most sneakers have fabric and the back is wide open.  They weren't cheap, but they were worth every penny, largely because they also look very similar to the Dakota safety shoes I have for work.  I'm not sure if these are them, but they do look similar:

https://www.marks.com/en/dakota-mens-low-cut-aluminium-toe-composite-plate-athletic-shoes-15169.html#15169%5Bcolor%5D=BLACK

These are also mesh sided and quite comfortable for a work shoe.  I highly recommend them for professional use in hot weather.  Unfortunately with my messed up feet I started to have problems with them after wearing them a few hours, so at lunch time I would often switch to the Techamphibians for the afternoon and everyone assumed they were the same shoes and I could get away without wearing clunky safety shoes.   >:D

But I have digressed quite a bit.... as you can tell, footwear is kind of a big deal to me.   :ahhh

Yesterday while at Cabela's I got my last Christmas gift.  Megan's parents didn't know what to get me so they sent Megan $100 so she could get me something for them.  Apparently she wasn't sure what to get me either, so she gave it to me and told me to get something I wanted.  I'd been looking at hiking boots lately, something a bit nicer looking than the Keens so I could have a decent looking pair of boots to wear in the winter when we go out and stuff.  I didn't have much luck, and assumed I wouldn't find anything at Cabela's that came within the price range, until I saw these:

http://us.hi-tec.com/altitude-v-brown.html

Back in my private law enforcement days Hi-Tec was the brand to have, and everyone wanted/needed the Magnum type.  They were the absolute best.  When I saw these at Cabela's for roughly half price I decided to try them on.  Here they are usually $159ish, but they were on for $88 and change.  I tried them on and liked them a lot, so I decided to get them.  No word of a lie, it came out to something like $99.41, so I whipped out the $100 bill I'd been carrying for a couple of weeks and donated the rest to sick kids or hungry kids or abused kids or something with kids, so they cost me exactly $100.  :D

I haven't really worn them for any length of time yet, but I'll be sure to update you all once I get a few miles under them.  They seem to fit what I was after though, a nice looking but still functional hiking boot.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 04:57:03 PM

why is that sacrilegious? what works for you is the best thing for you. to be honest a few years ago I didn't even know there was such a thing as a trail runner or a dedicated boot that isn't make for military and leo use

I've just had people saying oh you can't do a real hike in sneakers, if you're serious about it you need boots..... Well I'm not serious about it, I just wanna go ramblin in the woods and get away from people!

I have odd feet, the softer soles of sneakers do me more favors than the tougher boot soles, sure they don't last as long but they aren't super costly anyway
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

hr Offline styx

Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 05:54:37 PM

I've just had people saying oh you can't do a real hike in sneakers, if you're serious about it you need boots..... Well I'm not serious about it, I just wanna go ramblin in the woods and get away from people!

I have odd feet, the softer soles of sneakers do me more favors than the tougher boot soles, sure they don't last as long but they aren't super costly anyway

They never heard of Abebe Bikila?

hr Offline styx

Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 05:59:50 PM
I bought a pair of Keen Targhee hikers a couple of years ago and I love them.  I think they are an older version, but they are very similar to these:

https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-TARGHEE-EXP-MID-WP.html?dwvar_M-TARGHEE-EXP-MID-WP_color=1017718&cgid=activity_hiking_mens

They are my go to hiking/outdoors boot for autumn and spring, but they are slightly on the small side and so aren't comfortable with thicker socks.  It's been a bit of a frustration for me, but when I got them they were heavily discounted, and for $30ish I really couldn't say no.

During the summer I try to stick to sandals, flip flops or ventilated boat shoes as much as possible.  I have a couple of pairs of Keens that I wear in the summer.  Less often are the Keen UNEEK, which are kind of cool, in a remarkably ugly sort of way.

https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-UNEEK-MONOCHROME.html?dwvar_M-UNEEK-MONOCHROME_color=1014097&cgid=mens_footwear_sandals

Mine are black and grey, and they are comfortable, but I find a bit of a pain to get on and off quickly, so usually in the summer I stick to the Keen Daytona Sandals:

https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-DAYTONA.html?dwvar_M-DAYTONA_color=1003032&cgid=mens_footwear_sandals

I have a pair of flip flops with memory foam and another pair with the rubber pegs that are supposed to massage your feet, and those largely round out my summer footwear, unless I need something with a more aggressive tread or that holds better to your foot.  In those cases out comes the Techamphibions:

I love these things- they are basically a normal sneaker but with mesh where most sneakers have fabric and the back is wide open.  They weren't cheap, but they were worth every penny, largely because they also look very similar to the Dakota safety shoes I have for work.  I'm not sure if these are them, but they do look similar:

https://www.marks.com/en/dakota-mens-low-cut-aluminium-toe-composite-plate-athletic-shoes-15169.html#15169%5Bcolor%5D=BLACK

These are also mesh sided and quite comfortable for a work shoe.  I highly recommend them for professional use in hot weather.  Unfortunately with my messed up feet I started to have problems with them after wearing them a few hours, so at lunch time I would often switch to the Techamphibians for the afternoon and everyone assumed they were the same shoes and I could get away without wearing clunky safety shoes.   >:D

But I have digressed quite a bit.... as you can tell, footwear is kind of a big deal to me.   :ahhh

Yesterday while at Cabela's I got my last Christmas gift.  Megan's parents didn't know what to get me so they sent Megan $100 so she could get me something for them.  Apparently she wasn't sure what to get me either, so she gave it to me and told me to get something I wanted.  I'd been looking at hiking boots lately, something a bit nicer looking than the Keens so I could have a decent looking pair of boots to wear in the winter when we go out and stuff.  I didn't have much luck, and assumed I wouldn't find anything at Cabela's that came within the price range, until I saw these:

Back in my private law enforcement days Hi-Tec was the brand to have, and everyone wanted/needed the Magnum type.  They were the absolute best.  When I saw these at Cabela's for roughly half price I decided to try them on.  Here they are usually $159ish, but they were on for $88 and change.  I tried them on and liked them a lot, so I decided to get them.  No word of a lie, it came out to something like $99.41, so I whipped out the $100 bill I'd been carrying for a couple of weeks and donated the rest to sick kids or hungry kids or abused kids or something with kids, so they cost me exactly $100.  :D

I haven't really worn them for any length of time yet, but I'll be sure to update you all once I get a few miles under them.  They seem to fit what I was after though, a nice looking but still functional hiking boot.

Def

So you're definitely for something like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYgsW0blMQY

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 06:13:05 PM
I got out a few pairs of shoes and boots because I'm a junkie....   :facepalm:

As you can see, they are all well worn.  I will wear each and every one of these until my feet are sticking out of the bottom.   :ahhh

These are the Dakota work shoes mentioned above.  They don't look like it, but they are mesh and if you wear light colored socks (or no socks at all) then you see right through them.

As I said, the Techamphibians look very similar and in passing and often pass for the Dakotas.  I wear these most of the time while kayaking, although I have done some limited hiking in them.  You can clearly see them on our summit hike in Wakefield last year.

Next up are ones I forgot to mention- my Speedos.  Yeah yeah, I know no one wants to see a pic of me in Speedos, so I won't post any.  These are similar to the Techamphibians except these are about 1/5th the price and have a less aggressive tread.  They are still mostly mesh though, and so I tend to wear these mostly for either kayaking or biking.  Sometimes I just wear them as regular sneakers in warmer weather too. 

They have also subbed in for my Dakotas at work a few times, and the reflective strips on them (silver bits in the photos) help sell that story.   >:D

Then there are my sandals.  I love these.  They have done home repairs with me (as you can see by the paint splattered on them) they have been on hikes, they have been in the water, they have been camping, four wheeling, kayaking and a whole heck of a lot more over the years.  I originally almost crapped out a flock of canaries when I saw the price tag of $100 on them, but this is several years on and they still have a few years left in them, so they have been worth it IMHO.

The Keen UNEEK are sort of a nicer pair of sandals in my mind.  They are great for going to a more upscale event where your exposed toenails might not be overly welcome, but you still want that open foot feel- which is something I pretty well live for in the summer.  It seems closed toe sandals are all the rage these days, but I'd rather manscape with a rusty lawnmower than lock away my feet in nice weather.  We only get so much nice weather in Canada, you can be darned sure I am going to make the most of it! 

Which brings us to boots:

The Keen Targhee is a nice waterproof boot that I usually leave laced up loosely so I can just jump in them to take the dogs out when sandals or flip flops aren't an option, like now, when there's a couple of feet of snow everywhere.  I know some of you are going to be silly and suggest that I go out in this weather in sandals anyway, so let me save you the trouble and tell you I have, and it isn't as much fun as it sounds.   :facepalm:

I'd also like to point out that while the Targhee is a nice boot for hiking, it really isn't a winter boot, and it is what I was wearing the last time I broke an ankle.   :facepalm: 

Believe me when I tell you that the only thing more painful than breaking your ankle is taking off the hiking boot you were wearing when you broke your ankle....  :ahhh

And last but not least (and really not last as I have a lot of other shoes and boots, including several pairs of dress shoes, slip ons, wing tips etc, my work boots and my winter work boots etc) we come to the Hi-Tec Altitude V's which are waterproof like the Targhees. 

What's really interesting about them is that they have a special sole that has something to do with the Michelin tire company.  What specifically they have to do with Michelin I couln't tell you but if you look along the sole just above the heel you see the white Michelin logo, and there's another one underneath as well.  According to Mark's Work Warehouse:

A practical choice for hiking with a classic leather style, these men’s Hi-Tec leather boots feature Dri-Tec waterproof membranes that not only keep water out but also wick moisture from the inside out. They’ll keep your feet dry in a downpour. This tough trail-ready design has Ortholite® cushioned sockliners and good-quality Michelin rubber outsoles

All I can tell you so far is that they are extremely comfortable, and remind me a lot of these huge fluffy slippers I own.  They feel so much like the slippers that I am often surprised when I look down and there is a (relatively) small pair of boots there and not my giant fluffy slippers!  :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 06:22:47 PM

Def

So you're definitely for something like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYgsW0blMQY

Pretty cool, but I don't like thongs.  I have a couple of pairs, but they are "last ditch" kind of things I only wear when I have forgotten all of my other shoes in the Jeep.

My two regular pairs are the Adidas ones that everyone had in the 90's and I just got a couple of years ago:

And some memory foam Reebok ones that are a little more comfortable than the Adidas ones, but more or less the same kind of thing.  If I'm going to get wet I wear the Adidas ones but generally gravitate towards the Reebok ones for regular everyday use because of the comfort level.

Def

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #16 on: January 11, 2018, 06:50:02 PM
Well, since I'm mostly city-bound these days, and work every weekend, I've been using the same outdoorsy boots for a couple years now.

My Columbia Lakeview midtops;

They're billed as a light hiking boot. They breathe well, and the tread is pretty aggressive. Mine are well broken in, but nowhere near worn out. The main disadvantage they have compared to more serious hiking boots is they're not even slightly waterproof. If you step in a puddle, your feet are gonna get wet. But they're comfortable and can be had for about $70. Not a bad option if you want to have the ankle support and tread of a boot without so much weight or foot sweat.

hr Offline styx

Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 09:52:55 AM
that's quite a selection Def.

WD, I'm glad those are holding up for you

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 06:19:27 AM
My area is flat and is mostly swamp, including the Everglades and the Big Cypress so I find that military issue jungle boots from a surplus store work best for me.  They are light weight, have good traction in the mud, and they drain and dry quickly when you're walking through water. They're fairly cheap if you don't mind buying factory seconds with blemishes. I bought my last pair for around $49.00 U.S.. or you can get the Chinese knockoffs for about half that.

hr Offline styx

Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 08:33:01 AM
this might not be appropriate but why can I picture you wading through the swamp and CCR blasting in the background?

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 11:47:33 PM
this might not be appropriate but why can I picture you wading through the swamp and CCR blasting in the background?
I like me some Credence, but I'm actually vewy vewy quiet when I'm hunting wabbits.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 12:57:00 AM
I glued the soles on my old Salomon 4D 2 GTX boots after they separated, but they needed to be replaced as they where clearly past their expiration date, and where no longer waterproof.
Then I spotted a Black Friday deal on some Danner Light boots I liked last year, and I dropped a serious wad of cash on them. Most likely the most expensive shoes I ever bought. Anyway, the soles can be replaced if worn out, and I expect these puppies to last me at least 5 years, and preferably even longer.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

hr Offline styx

Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 08:49:51 AM
I like me some Credence, but I'm actually vewy vewy quiet when I'm hunting wabbits.

tell me you also have the appropriate hat

I glued the soles on my old Salomon 4D 2 GTX boots after they separated, but they needed to be replaced as they where clearly past their expiration date, and where no longer waterproof.
Then I spotted a Black Friday deal on some Danner Light boots I liked last year, and I dropped a serious wad of cash on them. Most likely the most expensive shoes I ever bought. Anyway, the soles can be replaced if worn out, and I expect these puppies to last me at least 5 years, and preferably even longer.
(Image removed from quote.)

see that is my concern with shoes like that in general. the representatives in our country are usually a bit sketchy and even cut corners on the workmanship (see all the LM warranty issues people have had over the years) that even those options might go to waste. even worse if they don't have a local representative

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 20, 2018, 10:35:41 AM
(Image removed from quote.)

see that is my concern with shoes like that in general. the representatives in our country are usually a bit sketchy and even cut corners on the workmanship (see all the LM warranty issues people have had over the years) that even those options might go to waste. even worse if they don't have a local representative

I live in Europe,  I will likely have then resoled with a local shoe cobbler instead of sending them back to the US.
@blackdiamonds_42

hr Offline styx

Reply #24 on: January 20, 2018, 10:53:02 AM
you have more faith in them than I do

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: January 20, 2018, 01:02:15 PM

Despite the fact they are quite heavy (being named "Light"), they appear to be of decent quality. The fit and finish was very good. I did not have any painful break in time, besides one hotspot on my left foot that I stopped by lacing them differently. They have only seen light rain, and so far have been waterproof. Time and mileage will tell how these hold up.
@blackdiamonds_42

hr Offline styx

Reply #26 on: January 20, 2018, 01:51:03 PM

Despite the fact they are quite heavy (being named "Light"), they appear to be of decent quality. The fit and finish was very good. I did not have any painful break in time, besides one hotspot on my left foot that I stopped by lacing them differently. They have only seen light rain, and so far have been waterproof. Time and mileage will tell how these hold up.

I meant cobblers ;)

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 20, 2018, 01:58:57 PM

I meant cobblers ;)

LOL
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: January 22, 2018, 10:37:16 PM

Def

Ah, the Hi-Tec Magnums. Got my first pair back in '89, Almost  30 years ago. Nice. Comfortable. Quiet. Tactical. But I would not wear them instead of workbooks to a work site. The leather is thin nd the Magnums are meant to be more tactical than rugged. For tactical and patrol, good boots. So light. Prior to that I was wearing 1980's surplus black combat boots and thought nothing of it until I got a pair of Magnums.

I did like the magnums, though, and believe I have a newer pair in my repertoire. Along with my Dickies workboots, my HH square toed harness boots, my chocolate Timberland workbooks, and various pairs of newish, mesh/ fake split leather hiking boots a la Columbia's, Nevados, and some other inexpensive brand

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%