Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC Scissors: Super Tinker vs Pioneer X

Jona · 19 · 3480

de Offline Jona

EDC Scissors: Super Tinker vs Pioneer X
on: December 25, 2020, 10:11:54 PM
Hello SAK-community,

currently I carry a Small Tinker in my EDC-organizer with some other tools.
Now I would like to add a pair of scissors to my EDC.
Would you recommend the Pioneer X or the Super Tinker for me? I like having a Philips driver and a pair of tweezers, that speaks for the Super Tinker.
Is the Pioneer X a lot more narrow/compact? The awl on the Pioneer is very nice for sure.

I know that the Compact also always is a nice candidate for a compact SAK with scissors, but I dont like the corkscrew and the combo tool.

Maybe someone has a Super Tinker and a Pioneer X at hand?

Kind regards from Germany,
Jona

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Re: EDC Scissors: Super Tinker vs Pioneer X
Reply #1 on: December 25, 2020, 10:33:05 PM
I suggest simply adding a 58mm to your keyring. I find that pairing a Rambler with a Tourist or Recruit or Spartan makes a compact combo with excellent functionality.
Rambler

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 25, 2020, 10:37:42 PM
I suggest simply adding a 58mm to your keyring. I find that pairing a Rambler with a Tourist or Recruit or Spartan makes a compact combo with excellent functionality.

:iagree: that would work too.

But if you want to choose between the ST and the PX, i would go with the ST for you. Sounds more like in your lane  :cheers:
The PX is surprisingly heavy for what it is  :dunno:

de Offline Jona

Reply #3 on: December 25, 2020, 10:52:25 PM
Thanks for your replies!
I am looking for the full-sized scissors, so a 58mm is not really an option.
You're probably right with the ST: The PX would be too much of a compromise for me. I would have to add a pair of tweezers seperately and maybe even the Victorinox ratchet with a PH bit (which would surely also be an upgrade :D)
But then the mini BIC lighter does probably not find space anymore...

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 25, 2020, 10:54:37 PM
Hello SAK-community,

currently I carry a Small Tinker in my EDC-organizer with some other tools.
Now I would like to add a pair of scissors to my EDC.
Would you recommend the Pioneer X or the Super Tinker for me? I like having a Philips driver and a pair of tweezers, that speaks for the Super Tinker.
Is the Pioneer X a lot more narrow/compact? The awl on the Pioneer is very nice for sure.

I know that the Compact also always is a nice candidate for a compact SAK with scissors, but I dont like the corkscrew and the combo tool.

Maybe someone has a Super Tinker and a Pioneer X at hand?

Kind regards from Germany,
Jona

The Pioneer X is not particularly compact.  I don't have a Super tinker to help you with a side by side comparison... But comparing it to the Compact... It's about the same thickness, and quite a bit heavier.

For you, I'd recommend the Super Tinker....  If you're going for an ultraportable lightweight SAK... The Pioneer X is not it.  It feels even heavier than it looks.  I carry one every day and use a suspension clip to make it more comfortable to carry.  For you, having the Phillips and the tweezers is an advantage... And since the Pioneer X is not compact, there's no advantage.

de Offline Jona

Reply #5 on: December 25, 2020, 11:08:58 PM
I am mainly concerned about the thickness.
The main goal is to fit the SAK into my organizer:

A Spartan does fit, but the Super Tinker has one layer more...

Or, since I want to get a Leatherman anyway, leave the EDC kit as it is and get a Wave which has scissors  :dunno:
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 11:20:08 PM by Jona »

Offline nolongerlurking27

Reply #6 on: December 25, 2020, 11:47:12 PM
Couple of ideas,
Would a climber fit in the organiser - that would give u the full sized scissors, the Philips on the can opener and the awl and tweezers u mentioned (top tip upgrade it to plus scales !!)
Or add a Swiss card to your EDC I like the Swiss card lite depending were u live you may , like me, have to ditch the blade in it as it’s a fixed blade but that would give you the scissors plus a couple of other useful tools

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 26, 2020, 05:57:45 AM
Hello again Jona.  You're a man with a lot of questions.  Fortunately this is the place to ask.
The Pioneer X is thinner than the Super Tinker, but because of its robust all metal construction, heavier.
The Pioneer X, Super Tinker and Compact are all great tools.  I bet if you hang around MTO for any length of time you'll wind up with all three!
Pictures below: Pioneer X with red alox scales, Super Tinker with US Flag scales.
IMG_1541.jpeg
* IMG_1541.jpeg (Filesize: 59.82 KB)
IMG_1542.jpeg
* IMG_1542.jpeg (Filesize: 122.43 KB)
- Steve

za Offline BobbyRsa

Reply #8 on: December 26, 2020, 08:22:13 AM
Hi Jona

Having EDC all the models mentioned and having a similar pocket organiser let me sumerise:

1) super tinker is wonderful but might be just a little to thick
for the organiser. It appears 2 layers celidor is its max .ST Has all the functions you want and not too expensive.
2) Pioneer X is wonderful but very dense (surprisingly heavy). Will fit yoir organiser as it is about as thick as a 2 layer 91mm but no toothpick and tweeser
3) my recommendation for you is the Compact. You will thank me for ultra usefulness of this knife. And it fits into your organiser. Also plus scales are a nice to have.

Let us know what you choose.
Cheers

de Offline Jona

Reply #9 on: December 26, 2020, 08:35:11 AM
Hi,
thanks for your answers!
Isn't a climber basically the same than a Super Tinker, just with a corkscrew instead of the Philips?

Thanks for the pictures, smiller43147. They really help me out. The PX seems just a touch narrower, so it's out.
And yes, I indeed have a lot of questions :) Deciding sometimes is a problem for me :D

The compact is a really nice knife since it is only two-layer and has the scissors. But I dont want to waste so much space with the corkscrew.

I've got to decide now: Super Tinker and LM Rebar or Small Tinker and LM Wave?

I think my granddad has a 91mm three-layer SAK with scissers. I'll try that out in my organizer.

Nice regards,
Jona

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #10 on: December 26, 2020, 03:47:57 PM
I would go with the Rebar. Compact size yet a lot of punch  :tu:

de Offline Jona

Reply #11 on: December 26, 2020, 10:25:54 PM
Plus, I can get nearly two Rebar's for the price of one Wave.

No luck for me, my granddad's SAK turnrd out to be an older huntsman. ::)
Maybe I'll just order a Super Tinker or wait until my local store opens again...

de Offline Jona

Reply #12 on: January 05, 2021, 04:51:32 PM
Hi,

today my Super Tinker arrived. Glad I ordered it, stores will be closed longer than firstly announced...
It is quite a bit bulkier than the Small Tinker. But I've got scissors, a bigger blade (might be handy when preparing food) and the hook :woohoo:
It still fits in my organizer. I've tried some configurations out, this way seems to fit best. I guess the leather will stretch a bit with time, too.

Also, I've exchanged the mini BIC with this 5€ Chinese Ebay lighter. It is pretty well made, no complaints. And it is a lot smaller than the mini BIC, which compensates for the 3 layer 91mm a bit.
Nice thing, some vaseline on the thread, and I guess I wont have to refill it for months because it has an o-ring.

The BIC burns cleaner, because it burns gas instead of lighter fluid. But I dont need the lighter often, so that's fine. Sure you dont want to use the tiny thing many times a day, but when being outside and wanting to start a fire or for some heat shrink tubing it's fine.

Also, the Space Pen bullet got a clip :)

Regards,
Jona

ca Offline Altis

Reply #13 on: January 05, 2021, 08:17:29 PM
Hi,

today my Super Tinker arrived. Glad I ordered it, stores will be closed longer than firstly announced...
It is quite a bit bulkier than the Small Tinker. But I've got scissors, a bigger blade (might be handy when preparing food) and the hook :woohoo:
It still fits in my organizer. I've tried some configurations out, this way seems to fit best. I guess the leather will stretch a bit with time, too.

Nice, I'm glad it fits! Just as well if it's snug so the leather will adapt to it nicely.

Super Tinker is a great EDC for sure. Now have you considered plus scales so you have a backup pen?  :pok: You do know that one is none, right?  :pok: :pok:

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 05, 2021, 09:51:43 PM
Congrats on the ST.. I like mine and am wanting another.. :facepalm:
All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..

de Offline Jona

Reply #15 on: January 05, 2021, 09:59:09 PM
Nice, I'm glad it fits! Just as well if it's snug so the leather will adapt to it nicely.

Super Tinker is a great EDC for sure. Now have you considered plus scales so you have a backup pen?  :pok: You do know that one is none, right?  :pok: :pok:
:tu: I'll see how the leather does in a couple days/weeks!

Yes, I have considered plus scales :D I dont need them yet, but we'll see :hatsoff:

hotrod, why do you want a second ST?

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #16 on: January 05, 2021, 11:31:38 PM
Because one is none and two is barely one. Also you need a backup for the backup. See where this is going?  :pok: :rofl: :D

de Offline Jona

Reply #17 on: January 06, 2021, 09:48:05 AM
Ah, I see :D
Backups are always nice to have. Recently I bought a backup engine for my old scooter...

au Offline Echotech

Reply #18 on: January 06, 2021, 10:05:46 AM
Ah, I see :D
Backups are always nice to have. Recently I bought a backup engine for my old scooter...
:like: apologies in advance I feel a reminiscence coming on :)

Back in about 1981/2, while still living with my folks, I bought a Lambretta GP150, an excellent scooter in its day (which was the mid 60’s), partly because it came with a second almost complete GP150 for parts.

Sold the good one after a couple of years (buyer didn’t want the one for parts) and then moved out of home…folks were not particularly amused

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%