Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Modding a Deluxe Tinker

Offline Jeffrey Olijar

• New User
Modding a Deluxe Tinker
on: January 10, 2018, 08:20:49 AM
Hello Everyone. 

I am working towards modding my first SAK and I have a couple of questions.

First a little background about me since I am new to the forum.   I am a CNC machinist by trade.  I am also into 3D printing and robotics. 

I had a SAK that my Grandfather gave me years ago but it was lost to time.  I recently picked up a Deluxe Tinker which is great but It is missing one tool.  I feel it needs the metal saw / file.  I picked up a used mountaineer which has the saw to be used as a donor.

I want to use torex screws for the knife so I can take it apart when needed. 
I am still reading the forum but my search came up with these pivots

https://www.alphaknifesupply.com/shop/125-knifemaking-hardware#125-pivots

They are too short.  Is the standard practice to stack them with a setscrew?  Is there a source that sells longer ones.

When drilling / reaming the tools, are there any that can not be drilled out to 0.125" ?  It seems like there will be very little material left on the awl and back screwdriver.

Finally is there a good solid model or dxf of the 91mm scales?  I plan on machining my own set out of brass and don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Re: Modding a Deluxe Tinker
Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 11:23:36 AM
Nice mod idea.  Deluxe Tinker + metal file = Troubleshooter, an old Marlboro model.  One of my favourites!

It is OK to join the pivots.  You could either use a set screw buried in the middle or have one long and one short screw, with the long screw bridging the joint.

There's not much material left if you drill the back tools out to 1/8", but it's just enough.  Should be fine.

There is a model of the scales for 3D printing which might be useful.  See here: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,73784.0.html

Good luck. :tu:

mx Offline WDY

• kickin in the Baja
Re: Modding a Deluxe Tinker
Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 04:28:36 AM
Jeffrey - Are you going to get into CNC to make new scales or use something existing?  I'd be VERY interested in hearing from you if you're running G-Code to grind out some scales, front and/or back.  I don't have a CNC machine but my son has a metal fab in N. Calif and is investigating this machining process. I have a cool shop made pantograph for making the back side of 91mm scales but it's never quite right on the money. My joy is making wood and horn scales with exposed rivets but would like to prefect the other process, not having to take everything apart. (And losing the T&T)
Cheers  -Yager
-Yager

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24