Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MLCT Crony - Need your input!

DoughDTD · 165 · 11862

Offline DoughDTD

• One is never enough!
MLCT Crony - Need your input!
on: November 07, 2008, 12:34:08 AM
EDIT - The following link is for interest in purchasing one of these:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,7660.0.html

EDIT - E-mails directed to the company can be sent to : MorrowLambCustomTools@gmail.com
E-mails specifically for myself can be sent to MLCT.Morrow@gmail.com
E-mails specifically for my partner Kenny Lamb can be sent to MLCT.Lamb@gmail.com

Me and a buddy of mine were in the middle of designing and machining our own Atwood-type tool to go on a lanyard and then keys.  We're going to make some changes and add a few things to make it unique and badass.  We have access to a very complete machine shop capable of doing short runs.  I'm open for other peoples inputs, so draw up a quick hand sketch, or use paint/photoshop/CAD program to do up a quick drawing of your ideas.  Then we'll see what everyone things and vote on a few designs.  I can machine individual custom designs, but it would be much easier to do a small run of one or two designs.  Let the ideas start flowing fellas!

*EDIT* Just so you guys know, the machine shop has alot of capabilities, including:
-Grinders
-Manual Mills
-Manual Lathes
-CNC Mills
-CNC Lathes
-Belt Sanders
-Band Saws
-Water Jet Cutter
-Laser Cutter
-Plastic Injection Molders
-Digital Measuring Machine

EDIT - November 14, 2008
List of tools:
-Pry bar/nail puller/wire stripper/wire cutter
-Wire Guage /thumb grips along top
-Bottle opener under the prybar (works really well, we spent ALOT of time perfecting that design haha)
-Inlaid magnifying glass in the center
-Hex bit driver (might have a ball plunger built into the tool to secure the bits in place, TBD)
-Dedicated philips/flathead driver similar to the design on the LM Micra on the bottom
-Open ended step-wrench with sizes ranging from 3/16" - 11/16"  in 1/16" steps(I can make these steps metric if you UK folks desire!)
-2" ruler on bottom side with 1/16" incriments
-50 mm ruler on the reverse side

The pictures are as follows:
-Actual protoype next to a scale
-Scale with first protoype under the latest revision
-Lastest revision prototype in my big ol' hands!

Enjoy the pictures guys!!!

-Dough
iso.jpg
* iso.jpg (Filesize: 48.43 KB)
top.jpg
* top.jpg (Filesize: 33.63 KB)
side.jpg
* side.jpg (Filesize: 15.33 KB)
Prototype.jpg
* Prototype.jpg (Filesize: 52.59 KB)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 11:21:08 PM by DoughDTD »
W

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Re: Custom Atwood-type Tools
Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 01:06:46 AM
u strated this so dont complain as thsi thread will be filled with pics i think :police: :D

one or two comin up,sir.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 02:35:38 AM
I'm after a small pry-bar, nothing fancy, just a steel bar with a tapered grind on the end. Oh and a hole on the other so I could put it on a keyring.

Ideally it would be about 3 - 3.5" long and maybe 1" wide.

And black :D

That the sort of thing you had in mind?

I used to come here a lot.

Offline DoughDTD

• One is never enough!
Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 03:32:49 AM
I'm mostly going for box end wrench, pry bar with nail puller, and a couple other things thrown in there.  I'm in the middle of doing a CAD drawing for a possible design, I'll post tomorrow.

-Dough
W

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 03:58:49 AM
How about a larger version of the wrench Wenger uses on some of its SAKs? 

[

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 04:11:43 AM
I've carried tons of gadgets on my keys and I feel that 2-1/2" to 3" is about the max for comfortable keychain carry. Make sure it doesn't have too many sharp edges. I hate things to jab me in the leg when I carry it in my pocket.  :tu:
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

Offline DoughDTD

• One is never enough!
Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 04:27:37 AM
Nice and round edges, baby!! Sharp points are no good anywhere. Good idea with the SAK wrench, that was actually one of my first ideas.  I personally think that an open-end wrench is more useful then a box end.  Box is more strength, but you sometimes cant get to where you need with a box end.  The only problem with open end is you need thicker walls to allow enough strength to prevent deflection and slippage.  We might also not be able to have as many sizes available with an open end, because this will make the "prongs" on either side too long, again causing deflection.  Maybe I'll try to run the same final design, one with a thicker open end, and a slimmer version with a box end. 

-Dough
W

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 06:37:31 AM
How about a larger version of the wrench Wenger uses on some of its SAKs? 

(Image removed from quote.)

+1 on that idea

Offline DoughDTD

• One is never enough!
Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 01:06:24 AM
So not much interest in this?? We already have several initial CAD models made, and actually have a Rapid Prototype sample in hand as of now.  I was hoping for more input from you guys though!!

-Dough
W

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 01:26:23 AM
So not much interest in this?? We already have several initial CAD models made, and actually have a Rapid Prototype sample in hand as of now.  I was hoping for more input from you guys though!!

We've got lots of ideas, but you went and made it hard for us by saying you needed pictures!  :ahhh

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 01:32:30 AM
hell,if u can do just one,drop me a pm,sir.

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 03:48:42 AM
It would be nice to have a couple of hex wrenches in there somewhere.

R

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 04:28:03 AM
Plenty of interest I just don't have that many ideas other than what's out there :-[

I do like a small pry bar, perhaps a nail pulling slot for small nails :think: a gator wrench type design (like the picture), and maybe a flat screwdriver on it somewhere :tu:

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 12:31:10 PM
I'm very interested, but everything I can currently think of has been done by Peter already.
I'm back!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 02:19:27 PM
Do any of the Atwood versions have a phillips screwdriver? IMO this is the best feature of the Gerber Artifact. (an expensive feature to add at a machine shop though) :-\

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 02:20:54 PM
By the way Dough, I applaud your efforts on this project and am anxious to see what you come up with! :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 02:24:58 PM
Do any of the Atwood versions have a phillips screwdriver? IMO this is the best feature of the Gerber Artifact. (an expensive feature to add at a machine shop though) :-\

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/jooliesews/Bobbys/GerberArtifact.jpg

I don't think so no.

He has included phillips screwdrivers, but these have been a bit usually held in by rubber O-rings or similar.
I'm back!!

Offline DoughDTD

• One is never enough!
Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 10:07:15 PM
Well the newest revision of the CAD design is almost done.  Here's a quick rundown of whats going to be included:

-Alligator type wrench in one end, but it will be like an open end wrench instead of a closed end.
-A clasp will snap from one side of the open end to the other,for several reasons 1) It will serve as a way to attach and easily detach from a keychain 2) it will allow the wrench to be used as a box end wrench, which gives much more strength 3) if you cant get at somethign with a box end, you open the clasp, engage the nut, and close the clasp around it, allowing you to preform much more tasks that a box end would be able to handle 4) it will cover the included screwdriver
-The afformention screwdriver will be located at the wrench end of the tool.  It will be made similar to leatherman micra's design of the philips screwdriver, for simplicity sake.  I personally think that tool gets the job done, definately not as good as a real phillips driver, but it works.  It will be located on one of the two "tongs" of the  open ended wrench.  The tong its located on will be about 1/8" or 1/4" longer then the other tong of the wrench to make sure the screwdriver can be used without the other tong bottoming out on the workpiece.
-There will also be a magnifying glass built into the tool.  Its going to be very similar in size to the Victorinox glass magnifyers, so while it will be small, it will be functional and there if you need one.  It will be in between the wrench and the prybar.
-The prybar will have the nail puller built in as well, which will be sharp enough to also work as a wire cutter.  We are going to try and put a very small radius right before the prybar, to act as a fulcrum point when prying things
-There will be a bottle opener put in a different location than on the typical Atwoods
-Finally, there will be thumb grips put into the sides that will double as wire gages

I know it might be difficult to visualize, but you will all see the light once I post the CAD pictures!! Thanks for the interest and support guys, I'm really excited about moving forward with this.

-Dough
W

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 10:49:03 PM
R

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 10:58:39 PM
Wow!!! :o

That sounds mighty ambitious Dough! What will you use for a lens on the magnifying glass?

Offline DoughDTD

• One is never enough!
Reply #20 on: November 08, 2008, 11:47:47 PM
I'm going to try and find a cheap glass lens, just a simple double convex glass lens.  What my plan is is to cut a hole the size of the lens about 3/4 through the sheet metal.  Then insert the lens, and place a ring of metal with an OD equal to the lens, and an ID about 1/8" smaller than the OD on top of the lens.  This will be made to proper thickness so everything will be completely flush.  It will be tac welded and ground smooth.

-Dough
W

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: November 09, 2008, 12:00:40 AM
more power 2 ya there Dough :tu:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: November 09, 2008, 12:09:04 AM
 :)

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: November 09, 2008, 12:11:10 AM
oh man oh man,im soo intrested to se the results :gimme:

Offline DoughDTD

• One is never enough!
Reply #24 on: November 09, 2008, 12:14:35 AM
Selfish plug....I'm going to be putting alot of time and some money into the development and production of a small run of these.  If some people are interested, I might be able to sell some for a reasonable price.  If you guys are gracious for the project, I could offer a slight additional discount for a recomendation in quaksters charge giveaway thread ::) >:D :pok: :cheers: lol.  I was real interested in that charge, but unfortunately nobody knows me well enough to suggest me ;)

-Dough
W

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #25 on: November 09, 2008, 01:06:07 AM
I might be convinced to know you better in the future should you send me each and every prototype. :D
Got those frog legs.

Offline DoughDTD

• One is never enough!
Reply #26 on: November 09, 2008, 01:14:44 AM
I might be convinced to know you better in the future should you send me each and every prototype. :D
lol well see about that
maybe the postman will bring you a present one of these days :police: ::)

-Dough
W

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: November 09, 2008, 01:23:34 AM
u dont reply any pm´s man :o :o :o :o :o???? :D

Offline DoughDTD

• One is never enough!
Reply #28 on: November 09, 2008, 01:37:33 AM
What are you talkin about? I replied to you, and you replied  back saying you were making a drawing...i'm still waitin on the drawing lol. Lookin forward to seeing your design.

-Dough
W

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: November 09, 2008, 01:41:29 AM
oh ok,i sent u lihnk to drawing i have screwed up the "send" then,sorry :-\ :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%