Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Gerber Fishing equipment

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
New Gerber Fishing equipment
on: January 11, 2018, 11:11:47 PM
I just got an email from Gerber to show of their new fishing gear:

http://gerberfishing.com/

Looks like some cool stuff.  As you all know, I am not that much of a fisherman, but some of the components looked interesting to Megan, who pulls a lot more fish out of the water than I do.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Re: New Gerber Fishing equipment
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 12:47:04 AM
The pliers are interesting, as well as the filet knife and tethers.
However, the MSRP is just plain absurd. Even at 25% off they'll be too expensive.

Edit. Meant to say, except the knife. It may actually come down enough to be reasonable. Anybody know anything about 9Cr18MoV steel?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 12:51:34 AM by WoodsDuck »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 07:56:13 AM
They named one after Grant

9Cr18MoV steel is just a standard usable steel that you find in many knives - good but not a super steel, if that is what you are after.

Wikipedia : 9Cr18MoV, 440B modified, a higher end Chinese stainless steel used mostly in high-end barbering scissors and surgical tools.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:59:55 AM by dks »
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 02:33:54 PM
Super steel isn't necessary for a filet knife, in my opinion. I just don't want to grossly overpay for a knife that will underperform at its intended task. Doesn't sound like a bad steel for this knife, and I like the handle. Might be one I eventually pick up.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 03:08:08 PM
the pliers and shears look nice, but I don't get the cutout on one of the shears' handles (as in, why is not the finger hole completely closed  :think:)
9Cr is decent steel if properly heat treated.
 Rike, SRM, Omuda, ShuangRong, Enlan and a few other Chinese companies have used it for years with differing results (from different HT processes),

but the common performance is close to an improved 440B much like AUS8 is, that is easy to sharpen, respectably corrosion resistant, usable edge holding (standard for nowadays' budget folders, $20-50 knives) and good toughness  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 02:07:04 PM
I think I may have to pick up a few of these- they look like really good additions to my tackle box.  And if you think these are expensive then you haven't spent a lot of time looking at pliers at Bass Pro!   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 06:41:37 PM
Interesting for sure, I'll have to pick some up when I start my fishing pliers/mt collection.

As far as use, I've found that 99% of fishing branded pliers are useless.

Pretty much everyone who commercial or chartera around here, runs channellock brand needle nose or knipex. The other ones just don't hold up, replacable cutters have too much give and won't always cut wire and especially braid. Even Vic scissors are having some trouble.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 04:32:15 AM

Saw this up in the fishing section of one of the Bass Pro's in my area, most of the packaging is open fronted so you could semi manipulate the items in the package....... Overall feeling of meh.... I feel the Linedriver, Freehander, and Defender are all overpriced items that really aren't super useful in my eyes(at least as a heavy recreational fisherman with little time spent with fly setups)... That being said, the NeatFreak shear scissors seemed awesome, listed as braided line cutters, they seem stout enough to be good for a lot more than that. And they are definitely more reasonably priced than most of the offerings.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD