Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New feller afoot

us Offline Hayacall

• New User
  • Roll up the sleeves and put in the work.
New feller afoot
on: January 12, 2018, 04:56:38 AM
Howdy all, I managed to get my hands on a multi-tool and I can't quite place what series it is, so I decided to ask the experts here to help me noodle this one out and maybe get a bit of info on the multi-tool the missus has.

Either way, pretty glad to be here and I'm looking forward to rekindling an old passion I have for tools and blades in general.
At the end of the day, all a person has is their gumption to carry them through the tough times. Honor what you believe in and keep to your word. Don't tell blind stories and it is always, ALWAYS better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Re: New feller afoot
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 05:05:46 AM
Welcome!

Post some pics of the tool in question and you're almost certain to get an answer on this forum.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 05:11:25 AM
 Welcome to :MTO:

Lots of great people here with loads of MT knowledge. You're sure to find out what you need to know! :tu:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Hayacall

• New User
Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 05:51:11 AM
Sure thing. The first pic is of my Schrade. I've got it pegged down to an ST1, I just have no idea what series it is from. I am going to assume an early one.
Schrade.jpg
* Schrade.jpg (Filesize: 352.72 KB)
At the end of the day, all a person has is their gumption to carry them through the tough times. Honor what you believe in and keep to your word. Don't tell blind stories and it is always, ALWAYS better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 06:02:51 AM
Some of the original members here have an extensive MT.o wiki about the ST1.
I learned about mine reading the same page.
http://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=ST1+Tough+Tool

Enjoy. :tu:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Hayacall

• New User
Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 06:08:45 AM
Well there we go. According to that wiki, I have me a series 2 ST1. That was mighty hand right there, thank you kindly for that!

Nextly, I was wondering about the missus' Gerber. She was issued it when she was in the army and I have no idea if it is some kind of military-only edition or if it could be picked up anywhere. Either way I find it a pretty handy-dandy tool.
Gerber2.jpg
* Gerber2.jpg (Filesize: 65.67 KB)

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 06:15:45 AM
That's a standard Gerber MP600 in Black Oxide.

Available on the open market.

For example (not endorsing, just giving an example on Amazon)
https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-MP600-Multi-Plier-Needle-47550/dp/B000VORS1E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515734011&sr=8-1

Also, welcome to the boards. There are a TON of knowledgeable folks here very willing to help.

EDIT: Even the pretty military-specific DET version (for demolitions work) is available to civilians.
https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-07400-Multi-Plier-Blasting-Crimper/dp/B0016KGLN8/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1515734224&sr=1-1

And if you want to amuse yourself, here's my review of the Chinese knock-off of that tool, the 'Multifunctional Anti-Explosion Pliers'.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75224.0.html

ANOTHER EDIT: So... there's a 'naughty word' filter on the boards, that change bad words to 'smurf'. So if you see something that says 'That's smurfed up'. you will understand what's going on. It's so effective that some of us just start USING 'smurf' instead of having the filter change it. If you read that review I linked to above, I do intentionally use 'smurf' instead of cussing. And now you know.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 06:24:54 AM by Lynn LeFey »

us Offline Hayacall

• New User
Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 06:22:29 AM
Once again, thank you kindly! I've used both the multi-tools in projects and builds. While I love her Gerber's feel in the hand, the Schrade feels like it is built like a Panzer tank and I like that solid weight when working with it.

On that note, I wouldn't mind becoming a minor collector of these things and was wondering if there was a primer or advice on where to begin growing my collection

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 06:24:37 AM
Well there we go. According to that wiki, I have me a series 2 ST1. That was mighty hand right there, thank you kindly for that!

Anytime! I personally have a soft spot for the ST1. When I started collecting MTs, I found the China made version at an autoparts store. After researching, I saw the older USA models were superior. I bought a used(now gifted to another member) one and a mint one. I use the China versions I have as glove box MTs, since I bought so many on clearance.
The newer China versions are fair for the money, but not anything like the USA versions.
The series 2 ST1 is a really cool multi tool and congrats on having one that looks to be in great condition! They'll get hard to find soon!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 06:30:53 AM
MP600 is a real workhorse. I use a blunt tipped 600 very often paired with a needle nose MT.

A good place when starting a collection is to start with buying cheaper used tools to get a feel of the direction you'll want to go in. Some people stay with Gerber, some with Leatherman, some with Victorinox, and etc.
I personally am all over the map with my collection. One week it is Gerber, one week it is unique tools (ex. ST1), and etc.
Right now I am on a SOG kick again. Just got a poweraccess in and am expecting a powergrab.
But, I am currently using a Victorinox SwissTool Spirit in a 30-day challenge, so I won't be able to try out the other MTs for a while. :multi:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 12:05:58 AM
Welcome aboard !   :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 12:50:32 AM
Howdy!

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 01:41:07 AM
Welcome, Hayacall! Nice avatar  :tu:

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 01:42:54 AM
Welcome!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 03:43:06 AM
Welcome to :MTO: :cheers: Glad to see that some of the other members were able to answer your questions so easily :like:

Really don't know how to guide you in collecting though :think: I would suggest at looking at some of the main brands (SOG, Gerber, Leatherman and Victoinox) no specific order there :salute: any tool from them will tell you rather quick if you like their designs and want to continue collecting that :tu: I do collect old school Leatherman (LM) which is to so the older designs which for the most part are discontinued but can still be found :salute: Also since you already have the Gerber MP600 you could collect variations of those and let me say there are many many different ones :ahhh SAKs (Swiss Army Knives) are also a very good one to get into, plus we have many members here that collect only those :cheers: Just look around and you can get a feel for what you might like and as you have already seen the MT Wiki you can go there and look as well :like: Just go to the different forums and start a thread with whatever questions you have and most of the time someone will answer fairly quickly :tu:

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 12:22:01 PM
Welcome aboard  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86