Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wave Plus? Charge Plus?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Wave Plus? Charge Plus?
on: January 12, 2018, 09:58:25 AM
Just saw on Blade HQ, that they now have Plus versions of the Wave and Charge with replaceable cutters.
Not sure if these are official LM models.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Leatherman-Charge-Plus-Black-Multi--79246
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Leatherman-Charge-Plus-TTI-Multi--79199
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Leatherman-Wave-Plus-Multi-Tool-w--79247
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Re: Wave Plus? Charge Plus?
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 10:12:26 AM
Oooohhhhh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 11:28:39 AM
That was one of the project I wanted to do but didn't have time for. I like the way that this is going, never had problems with the pliers with replaceable cutters. Many people may not be happy though.. Reading so much complains about the compromised strength of the pliers on the rebar. This looks like there are even lesser material..

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 11:36:10 AM
They all look a little odd... The BO Wave Plus page shows a standard Wave with old pliers, and there's something funny about the pliers on the Charge AL and TTi product images.

us Online ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 12:23:04 PM
Didn't see anything about them on the Leatherman website after a cursory check.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 01:28:38 PM
They all look a little odd... The BO Wave Plus page shows a standard Wave with old pliers, and there's something funny about the pliers on the Charge AL and TTi product images.
Strange LM don't advertise the Plus. No endorsement from them, I take it. That puts into question the 25y warranty...
The pliers on the three models linked to in the OP appear from the pics to be the stock Wave/Charge pliers (with the original's rounded-off edges and dimensions) cut out and drilled to accommodate the exchangeable cutter blades, i.e. less material than in the Rebar pliers.... I think there are two possibilities:
1- these are preliminary advertising pics photoshopped together (the rest of each of the pics looks remarkably like the ones on the LM website) and do not reflect the final product. It seems to me somewhat unlikely that they'd use even less material in the critical plier jaws' cross-sections than in the Rebar. So it could in reality be a simple pliers head swap for Rebar ones.
2- these are indeed final pics... in which case I wouldn't trust the pliers as much as the Rebar's... which are already controversial, as Sam notes...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 01:31:28 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline cody6268

Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 02:25:06 PM
Is that sheath new? I haven't seen any like it before. The MOLLE sheath I have is the USA made that's solid black with Velcro.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 03:28:12 PM
BladeHQ is often early with releases, they seem to be well connected. Considering the recent crack down of LM on TTC, I doubt that BladeHQ would not mention if they were after factory mods. And they explicitly state 25 years warranty.

At any rate, if this is a LM release then they address two requests:
- replaceable wire cutters (as long as they maintain the version without, everybody should be happy)
- better sheath (or at least a new one)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 03:31:58 PM by Etherealicer »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 03:29:17 PM
Is that sheath new? I haven't seen any like it before. The MOLLE sheath I have is the USA made that's solid black with Velcro.
Well spotted, I think so, yes.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 03:34:04 PM
I also noticed that there are now 3 variations of the blade

420HC
154CM
S30V

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 04:01:29 PM
No way!
Not paying those prices.
You can get a Rebar for $60 with replaceable cutters!
 :whistle:
Just another way to rise up the prices...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 05:56:07 PM by tango44 »
Enjoy!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 04:06:04 PM

420HC
154CM
S30V

Was always the case (well, after the TTi was released, at least). 420 on the Wave, 154cm on the AL/ALX/Ti and S30V on the TTi

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 04:18:04 PM

420HC
154CM
S30V

Was always the case (well, after the TTi was released, at least). 420 on the Wave, 154cm on the AL/ALX/Ti and S30V on the TTi
Ah, wasn't aware of that... VICTORINOX FOREVER :viking:

us Offline ChrisEDC247

Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 05:42:50 PM
BladeHQ is often early with releases, they seem to be well connected. Considering the recent crack down of LM on TTC, I doubt that BladeHQ would not mention if they were after factory mods. And they explicitly state 25 years warranty.

At any rate, if this is a LM release then they address two requests:
- replaceable wire cutters (as long as they maintain the version without, everybody should be happy)
- better sheath (or at least a new one)

I have a feeling these will replace the original models entirely. Two reasons: they are the same price as the originals. And the originals are out of stock on leathermans website. That suggests to me they are selling out the old stock and building inventory for when the new model drops.

Athough I own Skeletools and Juices, I've been holding off on Wave/Charge because I want the replaceable cutters. This will push me over the top on buying one. It's a smart move on their part. Apparently it's already in stock on Blade HQ?!? So LM makes the announcement at Shot Show and the old models are replaced instantly.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 05:57:15 PM by ChrisEDC247 »

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 07:36:45 PM
I never seen pliers heads like thoes, and they are not something someone can mod, so I am guessing that the 2018 new release.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:38:48 PM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 07:48:19 PM
I never seen pliers heads like thoes, and they are not something someone can mod, so I am guessing that the 2018 new release.
(Image removed from quote.)

Someone did made a modification to the rebar pliers just like that. It came up on Ebay a few months back.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 09:04:45 PM
I like the Charge AL one with the new cutters!

Did anyone ask BladeHQ what the story is with these models then?

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 11:55:29 PM
:popcorn:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 12:39:22 AM
They looks like bad Photoshop pics to me ??? I guess we will hear more about these at SHOT if they are for real :think: I like having different options but the prices are already on the upper end of what I want to pay for new :facepalm: If they go up even more then they will likely lose many over the price alone :ahhh Good find either way :salute:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
Its about time LM put those replaceable cutters on all their medium to heavy duty MTs, methinks  :tu:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 03:24:52 AM
I'd rather have the Rebar head and lose some material off the scissors handle, instead of these heads.
Which might happen once these start breaking on people.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 03:51:10 AM
Calling them plus models seems wrong when the cutters are standard on things like the Rebar. Maybe it should be the Wave 2018 or New Wave etc. Course by having a plus it gives you an excuse to charge more for a standard feature and have both the non replaceable and the new ones sold separately at probably different price points.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 04:18:11 AM
Calling them plus models seems wrong when the cutters are standard on things like the Rebar. Maybe it should be the Wave 2018 or New Wave etc. Course by having a plus it gives you an excuse to charge more for a standard feature and have both the non replaceable and the new ones sold separately at probably different price points.

I agree David :-\

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 04:57:56 AM
I just noticed that the Charge AL has a gut hook. Hmmm

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 05:25:53 AM

We learned with the Skeletool KB,  Juice B2, etc that Leatherman is all about squeezing more Benjamin's. I hope 2018 is a different year for them and something good comes to light.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

us Offline ChrisEDC247

Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 06:03:42 AM

We learned with the Skeletool KB,  Juice B2, etc that Leatherman is all about squeezing more Benjamin's. I hope 2018 is a different year for them and something good comes to light.

I think these revised models come better equipped for the same price. Better sheath, replaceable cutters and it looks like it the Charge AL comes with a bit kit and clip included (not just the TTI). I predict the original non-cutter models are going away, they are sold out at the Leatherman web store. Plus the older models on BladeHQ are listed at $169.85. In retail that's sometimes shorthand for a discontinued product, prices usually end in 99 or 95. Of course this is speculation, but the fact they are the same price as the old models is another big factor too.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 07:40:50 AM by ChrisEDC247 »

us Offline ChrisEDC247

Reply #26 on: January 13, 2018, 08:06:48 AM
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Leatherman-Wave-Plus-Black-Multi--79224

This just in. The photos are still of the older model but it lists the replaceable cutters. Also its in stock already.

za Offline hugos

Reply #27 on: January 13, 2018, 08:10:45 AM
I do suspect that some one jumped the gun. I think this would actually be launched at Shot show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hugo Smith

us Offline ChrisEDC247

Reply #28 on: January 13, 2018, 01:21:07 PM

I think these revised models come better equipped for the same price. Better sheath, replaceable cutters and it looks like it the Charge AL comes with a bit kit and clip included (not just the TTI). I predict the original non-cutter models are going away, they are sold out at the Leatherman web store. Plus the older models on BladeHQ are listed at $169.85. In retail that's sometimes shorthand for a discontinued product, prices usually end in 99 or 95. Of course this is speculation, but the fact they are the same price as the old models is another big factor too.

It looks like the original models are in stock on Leatherman's website again. Yesterday all these models said "out of stock". Perhaps there was some maintenance being done on the page. Plus I'm seeing .85 cents on some of the other Leatherman tools on US Amazon, that might be the lowest MAP price they can list them at and not an indicator of being discontinued. If they keep the old models that would be great, even better the new models aren't any more expensive. Hopefully we'll get the full story soon.

us Offline ChrisEDC247

Reply #29 on: January 13, 2018, 01:25:11 PM
I just noticed that the Charge AL has a gut hook. Hmmm

Also the Charge AL Plus has no metal inlay on the scales anymore. Couldn't figure out why it looked so weird at first.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 01:58:39 PM by ChrisEDC247 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD