Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wave Plus? Charge Plus?

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Re: Wave Plus? Charge Plus?
Reply #30 on: January 13, 2018, 02:02:14 PM
When is the SHOT Show this year?

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #31 on: January 13, 2018, 02:29:27 PM
Smells like a pre-order to me. Or they got Lot 0 and are opening their mouths before SHOT which will make LM so perky.

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #32 on: January 13, 2018, 06:45:15 PM
Basically did same mods to my edc Wave and sheath a couple of years ago plus added the Wingman scissors :D
“It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I try a little longer to solve the problem"

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: January 13, 2018, 07:44:58 PM
Basically did same mods to my edc Wave and sheath a couple of years ago plus added the Wingman scissors :D
(Image removed from quote.)

Time traveller? Should have gotten a patent for that!  :cheers:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: January 13, 2018, 07:58:20 PM
Maybe a Mini Surge is not too far away   :tu:

us Offline Glockfan

Reply #35 on: January 13, 2018, 11:50:53 PM
Had a gift card burning a whole in my pocket, ordered the black wave plus.  :think:

We will see if it’s a bust or not. :-\  I sure hope it isn’t.

Will update.

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: January 14, 2018, 12:36:22 AM
I was browsing the web today and saw this too. I thought about posting it here but thought it was old news. Smoky Mountain also have the plus option.

de Offline leatherman-shop.de

Reply #37 on: January 15, 2018, 09:38:48 AM
wow, have not heard about it.  ???
I think we have to wait until SHOT 2018 to see if it is real. But i doubt they are already in stock even before any presentation?! :think:
multitools for the one leaving nothing undone

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #38 on: January 15, 2018, 06:29:58 PM
After asking for the those three "specific models" of LM multi-tools PLUS version, I received an email from HQ Costumer Service with the following response which, by the way, still does not answered my question related to the PLUS :whistle:

"Thank you for your inquiry. Yes all of the Leatherman products we have are legitimate as we receive them all from Leatherman directly. You can also try contacting Leatherman to verify our active dealer status with them"

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Seth L.
Customer Service Representative
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 09:04:00 PM by JustinCase »
“It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I try a little longer to solve the problem"

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Reply #39 on: January 15, 2018, 11:31:01 PM
 :like:  :popcorn:

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #40 on: January 18, 2018, 05:52:48 AM
I don't like the look of that replaceable cutter set-up. The wall is too thin. They can improve it a bit by adding a bevel on the lower outer edge of the blade, and leave extra material on the plier to fill that void.

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #41 on: January 19, 2018, 12:40:04 PM
Well...I ordered a Charge Plus. Curious if they’re are any other changes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: January 19, 2018, 01:11:53 PM
I don't like the look of that replaceable cutter set-up. The wall is too thin. They can improve it a bit by adding a bevel on the lower outer edge of the blade, and leave extra material on the plier to fill that void.

I would think there's no need for the cutter to be so tall. It's a huge chunk of metal there. I dun think the top part is contributing to the the strength of the cutter at all.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #43 on: January 19, 2018, 02:19:25 PM
It's nice to see Leatherman continuing their longstanding tradition of producing tools that members here have already made.  :D

Which I am certain were a process of "simultaneous development" and were not ideas sourced from here, naturally....  :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #44 on: January 19, 2018, 02:22:52 PM
It's nice to see Leatherman continuing their longstanding tradition of producing tools that members here have already made.  :D

Which I am certain were a process of "simultaneous development" and were not ideas sourced from here, naturally....  :facepalm:

Def

Not that they would ever admit it   ;)

us Offline gregpost

Reply #45 on: January 19, 2018, 04:42:24 PM

Def

Is this really a fair criticism?

With a few exceptions, the members are making things from existing Leatherman design and parts, while it is cool they mod their own tools, they're not exactly being totally original or anything.

I see this with guitars. Players have been modding their own guitars for decades. Fender might come out with a hybrid of their own designs and then people say they ripped off the modders, but did they? Doesn't a company have the right to do whatever they want with their own models and parts. Unless I'm mistaken, were people putting carbide cutters on these tool before Leatherman had them on another model? That would be somewhat impressive, but swapping plier heads on models that already exist and are similar enough while that is neat, it's not exactly Skunkworks r&d.

There is a long history of companies being inspired by their customer base, that is a good thing not an exploitation in my opinion. Part of any business is figuring out what your customer base wants. If the customer base shows hints that they want something, can you blame the company for making it. When the car culture was putting big engines in a light car, and Ford and others said hey people want this, was Ford wrong somehow for making a car the public wanted.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #46 on: January 19, 2018, 05:08:48 PM
Yes, but if they would at least acknowledge where the ideas came from it would be something ;) Of course it might come down to money for an idea and they don't want that I am sure :salute:

They are basically saying we came up with the idea on our own without feedback from anyone :-\

Plus the blame game can go on to Gerber stole their PST design so they stole the carbide cutter design and changed the material then stole the MP600, basically changed a few things and called it the OHT ::)

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #47 on: January 19, 2018, 05:26:43 PM
Yes, but if they would at least acknowledge where the ideas came from it would be something ;) Of course it might come down to money for an idea and they don't want that I am sure :salute:

They are basically saying we came up with the idea on our own without feedback from anyone :-\

Plus the blame game can go on to Gerber stole their PST design so they stole the carbide cutter design and changed the material then stole the MP600, basically changed a few things and called it the OHT ::)

Or at least offer a 50% off any purchase for the idea.. :D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 05:56:13 PM by JustinCase »

us Offline gregpost

Reply #48 on: January 19, 2018, 05:55:18 PM

I don't understand what you mean or what you expect them to do.

Harley-Davidson makes motorcycles, many different models for a long time. People in the motorcycle culture took old Harleys and took bits and pieces off them, added some others, modified frames, mixed different models. People called their creations all different types of things. Harley over the years payed some attention, started taking design cues from the streets, offering customization from the factory, continued to make motorcycles. But what does Harley-Davidson owe the motorcycle community, except to continue trying to make models that will inspire people to buy, ride, and in some cases modify. In my opinion not a thing, their obligation is to make a good product, not much else.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #49 on: January 19, 2018, 05:58:24 PM
There was also the time LM used an image from a user on this site, did not give any credit and failed to realize it was a modded tool until the Facebook comments lit up!

I know there's a thread on it somewhere.

As a company, I'm sure they scan the site but at the moment they are too busy trying to cater to the newest generation, jumping into the niches with 1 peice tools for example.

us Offline mcb

Reply #50 on: January 19, 2018, 06:20:56 PM
I really like this new plus versions.  I have not bought a Wave or Charge due to the pliers head.  I really like the idea of of the replaceable cutters and love that on my Surge.  A Wave Plus might now be a worth little brother to my Surge.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #51 on: January 19, 2018, 06:40:24 PM

I don't understand what you mean or what you expect them to do.

Harley-Davidson makes motorcycles, many different models for a long time. People in the motorcycle culture took old Harleys and took bits and pieces off them, added some others, modified frames, mixed different models. People called their creations all different types of things. Harley over the years payed some attention, started taking design cues from the streets, offering customization from the factory, continued to make motorcycles. But what does Harley-Davidson owe the motorcycle community, except to continue trying to make models that will inspire people to buy, ride, and in some cases modify. In my opinion not a thing, their obligation is to make a good product, not much else.

We can just agree to disagree on this is what we can do :salute:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #52 on: January 19, 2018, 06:50:59 PM
There was also the time LM used an image from a user on this site, did not give any credit and failed to realize it was a modded tool until the Facebook comments lit up!

I know there's a thread on it somewhere.

As a company, I'm sure they scan the site but at the moment they are too busy trying to cater to the newest generation, jumping into the niches with 1 peice tools for example.
Now THATS interesting.  :D
Anyone got a link?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline gregpost

Reply #53 on: January 19, 2018, 07:22:41 PM

We can just agree to disagree on this is what we can do :salute:

I'm not even trying to disagree. I'm trying to understand what the point being made is and what people expect from Leatherman.

If the criticism is that these are bad(nobody has tried them) or that it's a stale idea(many posts here have been asking for a model like this from Leatherman) that is a whole other discussion.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 07:33:15 PM by gregpost »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #54 on: January 19, 2018, 08:21:38 PM
I believe the point being made is that MTO leads the way again for Leatherman.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: January 19, 2018, 09:44:51 PM

Def

Is this really a fair criticism?

With a few exceptions, the members are making things from existing Leatherman design and parts, while it is cool they mod their own tools, they're not exactly being totally original or anything.

I see this with guitars. Players have been modding their own guitars for decades. Fender might come out with a hybrid of their own designs and then people say they ripped off the modders, but did they? Doesn't a company have the right to do whatever they want with their own models and parts. Unless I'm mistaken, were people putting carbide cutters on these tool before Leatherman had them on another model? That would be somewhat impressive, but swapping plier heads on models that already exist and are similar enough while that is neat, it's not exactly Skunkworks r&d.

There is a long history of companies being inspired by their customer base, that is a good thing not an exploitation in my opinion. Part of any business is figuring out what your customer base wants. If the customer base shows hints that they want something, can you blame the company for making it. When the car culture was putting big engines in a light car, and Ford and others said hey people want this, was Ford wrong somehow for making a car the public wanted.

I for one am with you on this, Greg.

For a while, I did IT for a manufacturing plant so I have  a small idea of creating the overall process, and how making just one small change can add a lot to the company's bottom line when the dust settles.

"I wish Leatherman would do this" and "I wish Leatherman would do that." I've had some of those wishes, too and understand why they may not be implemented, but why be brash about the fact that Leatherman is paying attention?

And you are right about modding. Some talented modders here for sure and I admire them. But they are not developing the tools, just nodding.

Look at Tim Leathermans early mock ups of the PST. He didn't grab an Irwin Vice-Grips (R) or a Craftsman needlenose plyers and mod them into the Mr. Crunch prototype, he had to fashion them out of cardboard, then wood, then finally metal himself. And being an engineer is a far cry from being a tin knocker.

We should be glad that leatherman is fashioning tools that we are saying we want. And of course, they should be glad for MTO, because this is the biggest, easiest place to find customer feedback that they have ever had to date.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: January 19, 2018, 09:48:18 PM
Maybe Leatherman should commission ObiWanShinobee like CRKT did Ed Halligan

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: January 19, 2018, 09:59:18 PM

+1!
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #58 on: January 19, 2018, 10:28:24 PM
If a manufacturer did decide to credit MTO modders it may be hard to pin down who the originator of a mod was.  :think:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: January 19, 2018, 11:53:53 PM

+1!

Yes, or maybe you, Dutch. I still remember what you did with those scissors

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00