Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wave Plus? Charge Plus?

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Re: Wave Plus? Charge Plus?
Reply #90 on: January 24, 2018, 11:00:32 AM
 :rofl:

Offline Zezima

Reply #91 on: January 24, 2018, 06:10:03 PM
So I sent my wave in for warranty recently and it arrived at their facility the other day... Now I'm wondering if they're just going to replace it with the Wave+ because my current wave is technically no longer in production?

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #92 on: January 24, 2018, 06:13:05 PM
ALX is no more, the AL would have additional cutting hook on serrated blade. No other changes made.

Suddenly, ALX becomes a collector's item  >:D

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #93 on: January 24, 2018, 06:15:32 PM
So I sent my wave in for warranty recently and it arrived at their facility the other day... Now I'm wondering if they're just going to replace it with the Wave+ because my current wave is technically no longer in production?

I really doubt it, they have thousands of spare parts and they can often replace or put back tools that have been years out of the market.

When I sent my Surge (non replaceable cutters) for repairs it had been out of production for quite a bit, but even then they put on all the tools that were broken from the original old-Surge configuration but brand new and unused
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Offline Zezima

Reply #94 on: January 24, 2018, 06:21:32 PM

I really doubt it, they have thousands of spare parts and they can often replace or put back tools that have been years out of the market.

When I sent my Surge (non replaceable cutters) for repairs it had been out of production for quite a bit, but even then they put on all the tools that were broken from the original old-Surge configuration but brand new and unused
Yeah that's kind of how I'm thinking too. With how popular the wave is, I'm sure they still have many parts and refurbished units that they ship out when people send their wave in for warranty. Oh well, I don't think the removable wire cutters are a huge deal. They're a nice addition, but not something I'd buy another wave for. I'd get a rebar if I buy another multitool.  :tu:

us Offline Glockfan

Reply #95 on: January 26, 2018, 01:06:38 PM
Anybody else receive the wave plus with no + on the scales? LM shows wave + on the site, mine just says wave, with a little different lettering than the old.

Just curious

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #96 on: January 26, 2018, 02:24:48 PM
Anybody else receive the wave plus with no + on the scales? LM shows wave + on the site, mine just says wave, with a little different lettering than the old.

Just curious

I might hold on to that one just in case it is a very early one :tu: :like:

us Offline Glockfan

Reply #97 on: January 26, 2018, 06:40:49 PM
 :cheers:

Offline stugumby

Reply #98 on: January 27, 2018, 02:48:27 PM
Ok, so it seems a lot of viewers are commenting on the removable wire cutters. i have only broken 1 plier head in my days, it was on a Gerber mp 400 and it snapped under minimal pressure while holding a small bolt while replacing the rubber stripping on an abrams tank front track guard/fender. So my question is, what exactly breaks when one has the replaceable wire cutter? Is it the possibility that the screw snaps off and the cutter come apart, or the plier head itself snapping at the thinnest point just above the cutters? They seem to be indented into the head a bit to relieve the stress on the screw. I have a rebar, surge and signal with them and havent had any problems with pliers etc. Or perhaps its a twisting/flexing that could strip out the screw over time?

I plan on getting both of them eventually, i have a self imposed ban on impulse buys, must sell one to buy one type of thing.

Also do the new sheaths have the horizontal carry option?

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #99 on: January 27, 2018, 04:01:49 PM

Just curious
They aren't done with production setup yet.

Sending out old frames with new plier heads just to fill demand at the moment

us Offline Glockfan

Reply #100 on: January 27, 2018, 05:55:09 PM

Just curious
They aren't done with production setup yet.

Sending out old frames with new plier heads just to fill demand at the moment

Thanks NK, I agree with you. I contacted LM, they wouldn’t give me a direct answer.  They asked to see a pic, after seeing it, still no answer. They said I could send it in for replacement, but I told them nah nothings wrong with it. Just wondering.

Did see a YT vid of guy with the exact same thing, from Blade HQ. Think your right

us Offline mcb

Reply #101 on: January 27, 2018, 05:58:50 PM
I will be buying one of these new plus models in the relatively near future.  The biggest reason I did not buy a Wave/Charge in the past was the pliers head, I had a Blast that did everything a Wave did minus the exterior blades.  I think this will now be the perfect tool for when I need more than my Skeletool but don't want the weight of my Surge.  It will replace my old Blast.

I was using the compare function on Leatherman's website and the comparing the Wave+, Charge+ and Charge+ TTI and in the pictures of them they are all nearly identical as far as blades and tools.  Charges+/Charge+TTI has the gut hook the Wave does not but visual it appears all the same tool/blades.  But when you look at the tables of features it shows that the Charge+ does not have scissors or the medium flat screw driver blade but instead has two large bit drivers (this is mirrored on the Charge+ page).  Yet the video link earlier in the thread shows a Charge+ with the scissors and medium flat screw drive blade.

I am leaning towards the Black Oxide Wave+ but I really could make use of the gut hook so that draws me towards the Charge+ but I would not want to give up the scissors.  It appears for now they are shipping Charge+ as pictured it will be interesting to see if they start shipping Charge+ as listed or if they correct the table.

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #102 on: January 27, 2018, 08:31:36 PM
The sheath looks good but the lack of side pockets for a bit extender is really weird. Did anybody already perform a test for those new pliers and replaceable wire cutters?
Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

us Offline mcb

Reply #103 on: January 27, 2018, 08:39:04 PM
The sheath looks good but the lack of side pockets for a bit extender is really weird. Did anybody already perform a test for those new pliers and replaceable wire cutters?

They were doing two version of the new nylon sheath.  One with two pocket, one for the tool, one for the card of extra bits.  And then a version that has those to pockets and the addition of the two side elastics for bit extender, pens, etc.

This simpler one they are doing in Small, Medium, and Large

This one only comes in Medium and Large.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 09:21:31 PM by mcb »

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #104 on: January 28, 2018, 11:36:40 PM
  Why, in all of tarnation, does Leatherman keep putting cap crimpers on the TTi?  :twak:  Leatherman should, AT LEAST, offer a non-capcrimper version of the TTi, but them ugly scales... I'm content with v1.0 scales. Have Rebar pliers in there too, although the tool does not close up completely ... probably cause I removed the metal-toothpick (LOL) for a much more needed awl.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline mcb

Reply #105 on: January 29, 2018, 03:03:21 AM
  Why, in all of tarnation, does Leatherman keep putting cap crimpers on the TTi?  :twak:  Leatherman should, AT LEAST, offer a non-capcrimper version of the TTi, but them ugly scales... I'm content with v1.0 scales. Have Rebar pliers in there too, although the tool does not close up completely ... probably cause I removed the metal-toothpick (LOL) for a much more needed awl.

When I looked at Leatherman's booth at Shot Show I saw Wave+, Charge+ and Charge+ TTI all with and without the primer crimp pliers head.  The Leatherman rep there said they have always offered them in both pliers heads.  I didn't argue with him.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #106 on: January 29, 2018, 02:23:00 PM

When I looked at Leatherman's booth at Shot Show I saw Wave+, Charge+ and Charge+ TTI all with and without the primer crimp pliers head.  The Leatherman rep there said they have always offered them in both pliers heads.  I didn't argue with him.

This must be his first job after coming down from a mountain..

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #107 on: February 10, 2018, 03:04:18 PM
I think I’m going to get a BO Wave + ::) 8)

Reply #108 on: February 19, 2018, 12:17:30 AM
It's nice to see Leatherman continuing their longstanding tradition of producing tools that members here have already made.  :D

Which I am certain were a process of "simultaneous development" and were not ideas sourced from here, naturally....  :facepalm:

Def

Yeah! How many years did it take Leatherman to catch up this time? Still... why do they put that metal-toothpick in there? Don't supposed it's because they have nothing else to go in there that will fit? Wave/Charge with an awl, ditch that eyeglass screwdriver.

Leatherman could renovate the large bit driver to accommodate the mini screwdriver hole in there too. But what would they put in place of that. Surely not an awl, no no, can't put something in there that customers want. That would be unheard of.

Wave's scissors aren't the best overall anyhow, put an awl in there for the working man. Oops! Spoke out of turn again.  :rofl:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #109 on: February 19, 2018, 12:20:17 AM

Only way I got that to happen was sending in the Charge TTi after some stuff broke over the years. I asked if they could replace the pliers with standard pliers, no cap crimper! That  one time they put normal pliers in.
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #110 on: February 19, 2018, 04:54:50 AM
Ok, so it seems a lot of viewers are commenting on the removable wire cutters. i have only broken 1 plier head in my days, it was on a Gerber mp 400 and it snapped under minimal pressure while holding a small bolt while replacing the rubber stripping on an abrams tank front track guard/fender. So my question is, what exactly breaks when one has the replaceable wire cutter? Is it the possibility that the screw snaps off and the cutter come apart, or the plier head itself snapping at the thinnest point just above the cutters? They seem to be indented into the head a bit to relieve the stress on the screw. I have a rebar, surge and signal with them and havent had any problems with pliers etc. Or perhaps its a twisting/flexing that could strip out the screw over time?

I plan on getting both of them eventually, i have a self imposed ban on impulse buys, must sell one to buy one type of thing.

Also do the new sheaths have the horizontal carry option?

I am not sure what these MT designers had in mind when designing these replaceable cutters. On indexable mills or drills, the threaded hole is not exactly concentric with the insert hole. It means, there is a friction between the screw and the side of the insert hole, and the crew pushed the insert against the tool pocket's wall. So, the tool body will absorb the cutting shock, and the screw simply holds the insert in place. The screw is more likely stripped on the torx profile from being too tight than getting sheared off. I hope these tools were designed with same methodology.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 04:56:47 AM by chrono »

Offline tap78

Reply #111 on: February 23, 2018, 09:56:14 PM
here's my detailed photo session (picture heavy!) for Wave Charge PLUS models I made for polish knife forum....

https://forum.knives.pl/index.php?topic=193911

I hope that will help a bit to make a decision ;)
Tom
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 10:07:17 PM by tap78 »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #112 on: February 23, 2018, 11:49:21 PM
here's my detailed photo session (picture heavy!) for Wave Charge PLUS models I made for polish knife forum....

(Image removed from quote.)

Tom

I can't get all the pics to load on that site... could you post the pics for 'LEATHERMAN WAVE PLUS - TESTING' here please.   :cheers:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #113 on: February 24, 2018, 12:21:25 AM

Tom

Fantastic review and pics !

As I suspected the pliers with be plenty strong and up the most tasks.   :tu:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #114 on: February 24, 2018, 06:24:48 AM

Tom

picture heavy indeed! Such beautiful pics!  :cheers: :like:

us Offline mcb

Reply #115 on: February 25, 2018, 11:45:31 PM

Tom

Nice set of excellent photos!   :like:

I find it interesting that the black Wave+ gets a different sheath.  I was coming here to post about that when I saw this post.  I was at Cabelas today and they had both of the new Wave+ and the regular silver one had Cabelas on the one handle and came with the new sheath while the Wave+ Black did not have Cabelas logo and came with the older sheath as picture is this excellent set of photos.

I really want a black Wave+ but I sort of want the new sheath also...   ???

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #116 on: February 26, 2018, 03:31:48 AM
I just  noticed that Leatherman got rid of the name plates on the Charge AL scales. So it is all cost cutting and efficiency now, huh?

Offline aikon2014

Reply #117 on: February 26, 2018, 10:28:48 PM
I saw a video on youtube and it said only for sale in the US, is the + tools not coming to Europe?

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #118 on: February 26, 2018, 10:41:18 PM
I saw a video on youtube and it said only for sale in the US, is the + tools not coming to Europe?

They are already here mate :D.

Offline aikon2014

Reply #119 on: February 26, 2018, 11:27:26 PM

They are already here mate :D.

Omg! Is there any place that ships to Sweden that got them???  :gimme:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41