Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Alox or Celidor?

us Offline this_is_nascar

Alox or Celidor?
on: January 13, 2018, 08:36:58 PM
Which is your preference and why?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Re: Alox or Celidor?
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 09:20:05 PM
What about nylon?

Cellidor - I started off with cellidor. Since I was a kid, that's all I ever knew a Swiss Army knife to be. My father had what I now know to be a US Army Demo knife from his time in the army, and I thought it might be cool to have a metal scales SAK. They just weren't as prevelant 30 years ago.

Nylon - So, as has been documented here before, I destrored the cellidor on my now 30 year old Super Tinker, and cracked those on its replacoment. So I got a Camper II and I love that they won't be brittle and shattered if dropped. Though they might become gouged under the wrong conditions. I like the nylon over the cellidor for pure functionality and grip under wet conditions, but I have it hardwired in my head that SAKs are red ABS plastic handles.

Metal - Carrying my Leathermans, I've never been worried about shattering scales, so again,I have returned to wanting a metal scaled folder with tools. I have Since learned of the Alox options. So now I'm debating an Alox Vic Farmer or an old Camillus 1760 US Army or a new one made by Colonial Knife, which I guess are steel. Some type of metal will just be classic, timeless (or maybe old fashioned) and extremely durable. But I can't speak to alox yet

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 09:28:19 PM
For me it is Celidor scales and I prefer the translucent ones.  I like some of the alox models for size and simplicity but the lacking of toothpick, tweezers and pin keeps me away from them!  Now if you could get me an alox Explorer with the toothpick, tweezers and pin, then I would happily carry it as well as an alox Swischamp!  Pen or no pen doesn't matter to me!

Example:  Take a Pioneer X and add the mag layer to make it like an Explorer but with the cutouts for toothpick and tweezers.  Otherwise I would also have to carry a Classic or similar.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 09:30:30 PM by sir_mike »

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 09:32:21 PM
Celidor, because that is the way Swisschamps are made. Oh they also come with wood. :climber:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 10:23:04 PM
Snipped
but I have it hardwired in my head that SAKs are red ABS plastic handles.
Snipped
Cellidor isn't ABS, and its cellulose based.  ;)
http://www.albis.com/en/products-solutions/products-brands/cellidor/
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 10:48:40 PM
Alox for me. As a kid, the cellidor scales = SAK, but now I just don't like them much. I don't care for plastic in general for most things. Also I find the bits and bobs that come with the scales fiddly and easy to lose.

Now that I've carried a 93mm pioneer for years, I've gotten used to the more robust tools as well, to the point that even an alox like the cadet probably wouldn't hold much interest anymore.

I also like that the 93mm frame is an equal end pattern. I know that's not because of the scales, but the 93 only comes that way, and is the only size that is made that way.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 10:52:23 PM
I am another who grew up nly knwing about the red cellidor and aqired a lve for having the TP and tweezers.  I found out about Alox here on MTo.  I absolutely LOVE the feel, durability, look and functionality of Alox but miss the scale tools.  So if I could only have one it would be cellidor. Thank God that's not the case. 
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 11:20:33 PM
Snipped
Snipped

Thanks for that, Pablo. Knowledge is power.

Still, plastic is plastic. It is brittle in comparison to the nylon scales. And although I don't have one yet, obviously neither is as robust as metal.

I rarely use the toothpick or tweezers. I do like the back spring philips, but for the right robust alox, I probably could do without all of those things, especially since an all/punch is part of the alox tool set and I always have a Leatherman on me or with me as well.

What I really don't understand is why they can't make an alox with a couple back spring tools.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 11:33:57 PM
If not for the tweezer and toothpick and backtools, I wouldve shifted to only alox SAKs by now, given that alox SAKs are thinner and feels more robust. I can honestly say its 50-50 for me as I like the feel of my PX, the compactness of my Golfer, and the capabilities of my SwissChamp.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 11:38:04 PM
Snipped
Snipped

Thanks for that, Pablo. Knowledge is power.

Still, plastic is plastic. It is brittle in comparison to the nylon scales. And although I don't have one yet, obviously neither is as robust as metal.

I rarely use the toothpick or tweezers. I do like the back spring philips, but for the right robust alox, I probably could do without all of those things, especially since an all/punch is part of the alox tool set and I always have a Leatherman on me or with me as well.

What I really don't understand is why they can't make an alox with a couple back spring tools.

I actually prefer that they don't have backspring tools. Not because of the tools necessarily, but because on the 91mm knives the layers with backspring tools have springs that aren't flush with the liners. I find it very uncomfortable. Though if they were to offer them, as long as they keep the no tool version, I'd be happy.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 12:25:59 AM
I don't know as I've never handled alox. ???

I got a Standard/Spartan with the old solid cellidor scales recently. I'd not seen them before and I like them a lot. The knife has been well used and the scales have aged well in the sense that their scratches and dings have added to the knife's character. I prefer the solid feel of the old scales also. These ones have no slots for scale tools and I don't miss them. Got a Rambler on the side at all times! :D

Nylon I like because of its ruggedness and because it too develops an attractive character. The red isn't as nice as cellidor, though.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of translucent scales. They can certainly make some knives look beautiful but as serious users they just aren't for me. Often they make the knife too fussy to my eye and only look worse as they wear.

Alox *is* on my horizon, either a Pioneer or a Farmer. ;) Curious about the awl in particular.
Rambler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 10:55:25 AM
From direct experience I can only compare the 91 mm Cellidor and (93 mm) Alox. Both have their advantages (and, conversely, disadvantages), in my opinion:

91 mm (pity they don't make Alox variants of these):
+ back tools, higher tool density for the weight and greater tool count and variety; scales swapped more easily; comparatively easy to modify, and in greater variations, for those so inclined
- not as sturdy as 93 mm, see below

93 mm Alox:
+ no back tools, no outer liners, so slimmer handle still housing stronger springs, that and stronger pivots (both in material and size) allow beefier tools that stay open better and can withstand more abuse; better grip; scales not so prone to cracking with age/abuse; smooth back springs make for better ergonomics; IMHO nicer looks
- smaller number and variation of available tools; scratching, chipping and wear on scales more visible especially on coloured Alox; more limited and slightly more difficult modification (for instance: contrary to 91 mm models, simple peening with brass stock reportedly does not seem to hold for very long)

Now, wouldn't it be nice if one were to combine the advantages in one tool?  :think: :think: :think: :drool:                                                           :angel: :whistle: 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 11:02:43 AM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 01:42:20 PM
I like the feel of Alox better, however, I missed the scale tools (toothpick, tweezers and needle).

To me, the Alox ones always felt more sturdy and better able to stand up to hard use.

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 03:23:32 PM
I have become an alox only kind of SAK nut. The last cellidor I had got dropped from about waist high onto a bathroom floor and I was amazed and aghast at how big a chunk of handle broke off. The 'new' celidor has way to many hollow and thin spots and is way too fragile. Victorinox should be ashamed at trying to cut cost that way. Either go back to the old solid celidor or go all nylon.

Alox only for me.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 03:25:28 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 03:51:49 PM
No alox OR cellidor for me, it´s alox AND cellidor. And nylon too.

I don´t worry about breaking scales too much. I´m not in the habit of dropping SAKs, and should it happen, new scales are cheap and easy to put on.

00 Offline WolfyW

Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 06:03:18 PM
No alox OR cellidor for me, it´s alox AND cellidor. And nylon too.

I don´t worry about breaking scales too much. I´m not in the habit of dropping SAKs, and should it happen, new scales are cheap and easy to put on.

That's how i look at it, too, so far. One thing I'll add is that winter can get cold here, and so does alox in the hand. So I'm mainly carrying cellidor/corkscrew combos to deal with boot lace knots etc.
"The older I get, the better I was".

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #16 on: January 14, 2018, 06:24:19 PM
I'm sorry to be the party pooper, but my vote is Nylon.
Sturdier than cellidor (I have broken 6 cellidor scales, either by dropping or crushing but no nylon to date) and more durable to chemicals, heat or damage. Cheaper too, but that's a very little thing to have in mind.
I prefer the grippier texture and tactile feel of nylon.
I like the color of it, maybe no more than the shiny cellidor red but it's very good looking to me. The car we had as a kid (Citröen Xsara Picasso) was exactly that same color, I guess it's nostalgia.

then I like Alox, because of the sturdiness, thinness, looks, feel in hand. I don't mind having no T&T, I never use them and carry both on my FAK anyways.

Thirdly I like the Cellidor + Rubber scales from the Evogrips, Wenger S557 etc.

And finally normal Cellidor,
well, no, the ones I like the worst are the Wood scales (Evowood) and the all Rubber (OHO Solider) ones
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 06:25:35 PM by ThePeacent »
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Grateful

Reply #17 on: January 14, 2018, 08:04:43 PM
Celidor is definitely my favorite. Ive carried a celidor sak 95% of the time for 10 years or so. Ive carried and used them in the woods and on the water, around the house and yard and in heavy industrial setting. Ive never broke or even cracked a scale.
 I like having the toothpick and tweezers and the back mounted tools are a bonus in my opinion. I also really like having a large and a small blade to work with.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #18 on: January 14, 2018, 08:09:14 PM
Both. Because they're awl awesome.

I will say that whenever you're I'm carrying alox there'll be cellidor on the keychain .

:salute:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 09:35:22 PM
Sturdier than cellidor (I have broken 6 cellidor scales, either by dropping or crushing but no nylon to date) and more durable to chemicals, heat or damage. Cheaper too, but that's a very little thing to have in mind.
I like the color of it, maybe no more than the shiny cellidor red but it's very good looking to me. The car we had as a kid (Citröen Xsara Picasso) was exactly that same color, I guess it's nostalgia.

then I like Alox, because of the sturdiness, thinness, looks, feel in hand. I don't mind having no T&T, I never use them and carry both on my FAK anyways.

well, no, the ones I like the worst are the Wood scales (Evowood) and the all Rubber (OHO Solider) ones

Well said. I've never had an aolx, but have other metal scaled tools. The cellidor is iconic, but nylon outcasts it and is cheaper. Alox must clearly be very durable, but is more expensive and has no backsliding tools

Reply #20 on: January 15, 2018, 02:00:25 PM
I've been using/carrying Celidor based SAKS for over 40-years and have never had a scale break or crack.

What the hell are you guys doing?

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #21 on: January 15, 2018, 03:49:54 PM

Well said. I've never had an aolx, but have other metal scaled tools. The cellidor is iconic, but nylon outcasts it and is cheaper. Alox must clearly be very durable, but is more expensive and has no backsliding tools

Don't wish to be a  pusher man but if you've never had an alox model.....    you should prawlbably do something about that...    Pioneer's can be had on the cheap.  :D
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #22 on: January 15, 2018, 03:53:38 PM

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #23 on: January 15, 2018, 05:30:15 PM
I like both cellidor and alox... but been carrying alox mostly these days... no issues with T&T as I have them on my keybar... Don’t mind scale scratches too as they show character...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #24 on: January 15, 2018, 11:30:58 PM
here's a link to an auction for a Pioneer... just in case :)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Victorinox-Silver-Alox-Pioneer-Swiss-Army-Knife-New-in-Box/202180630711?hash=item2f12e798b7:g:xAsAAOSwfVhaTX70

and here's a brand new dark grey pioneer for $30 shipped:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/VICTORINOX-Pioneer-Pocket-Knife-Dark-Gray-V-10127US2/142328307725?epid=0&hash=item21236da00d:g:7GcAAOSwXYtY2aWq

:D

I just bought one of those dark gray pioneers yesterday. $30 was the best price I could find anywhere, even compared to the plain silver ones.

As for scale color...

For 58mm, I like transparent colored cellidor. It makes them kind of look like jewelry.

For 84/85mm, I like the plain red Cellidor, but red Nylon is fine. Although, I have a yellow/black Evogrip 16 that is SWEET looking.

For 91mm, my #1 preference, and what I put on my Super Tinker, is Stay Glow Nylon. That thing is VISIBLE! And the scales are not wearing out fast.
Backup to the Stayglow Nylon would be Red nylon, followed by Red Cellidor (not Ruby).

For 93mm, I prefer (not like i have a choice) Alox, but with no color, if I can get them plain.

For the 111mm, I like red Nylon. I haven't been overly impressed with the dual material scales, and flat out HATE black as a scale color.

I have had issues of losing gear from dropping it in the woods. I prefer scales to assist in being found, not actively go all ninja on me.

Then again, I like Silvertech on the 91s. And I have a few blue 58s that are nice... And a few different colored 91s that are nice enough, I guess... And...  :rofl:

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 01:11:07 PM
In order of preference:

1.Titanium.

2.Alox

3,Nylon

4.Celidor

us Offline gregpost

Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 04:54:23 PM
Nylon: it's kinda ugly and flat in most colors but it's tough, doesn't scratch as easily, and still allows insert tools.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 05:01:23 PM by gregpost »

Reply #27 on: January 19, 2018, 06:29:53 PM
I've never owned a nylon scaled SAK.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #28 on: January 19, 2018, 09:50:09 PM
Cellidor. I can polish the scratches out.  :tu:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: January 20, 2018, 03:49:38 AM
I've been using/carrying Celidor based SAKS for over 40-years and have never had a scale break or crack.

What the hell are you guys doing?

Try dropping it - even from a height of 10 feet - onto concrete and see if the cellidor doesn't crack or shatter

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%