Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Favorite SAK/multitool combos

NutSAK · 4412 · 162142

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Re: Favorite SAK/multitool combos
Reply #90 on: February 20, 2010, 09:53:53 PM
Still a Vic Classic & the LM Sideclip... Haven't let me down yet..  :)

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #91 on: February 20, 2010, 10:38:29 PM
Still a Vic Classic & the LM Sideclip... Haven't let me down yet..  :)

:cheers:
Gabba gabba hey!!

Offline P35

Reply #92 on: February 21, 2010, 05:42:46 PM
Sak Farmer and Skeletool is my combo

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #93 on: February 21, 2010, 05:46:44 PM
Just lately I've been pairing a LM Kick and a Vic Huntsman, they seem to cover almost anything I might need.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #94 on: July 31, 2016, 03:43:58 AM
Here's a new SAK/Multi combo I tried out today.  These two work great together!!

- Terry

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #95 on: July 31, 2016, 05:35:33 AM
Here's a new SAK/Multi combo I tried out today.  These two work great together!!

(Image removed from quote.)
I think I may be making a custom SAK in that pattern with an inline awl in the near future. That is a super combo though!
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #96 on: July 31, 2016, 11:25:19 AM
An awl would be a welcome addition to that combo... 

This marks the first time in years that I can recall not carrying a 93mm knife in my pocket, BTW.  I used to carry cellidor knives frequently, from childhood up until about 2008, but they seem bulky to me now--even just a 3-layer one like this.
- Terry

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #97 on: August 01, 2016, 12:44:06 AM
My tool EDC these days is almost always a combination of a SAK and a plier-based multitool.  I find that this is very functional, because I can accomplish many smaller tasks with just the SAK, use the multitool for heavy duty tasks, or I can use the tools together for tasks that couldn't be accomplished with just one tool.

I find it fun to come up with the combinations that work well together.  What I am looking for when I do this is a SAK/multi combination that gives me a great deal of functionality without much redundancy in tools.  Usually I categorize SAKs and multis as "urban" or "woods" (outdoor), and combine them as a matched pair--one of each type.  I consider a "woods" tool one with an awl and a wood saw, and an "urban" tool as one with scissors, grooming functions, etc.

Below are photos of a few of my favorite combinations.

Leatherman KF4/Victorinox Golfer Special This is my most compact combination.  Both tools are very small, but the tool combination here covers all the bases.  I consider the KF4 the "woods" part of the combo, and the Golfer "urban".

Leatherman Pulse/Victorinox Farmer or OHT  This is the combination I find myself carrying the most.  This set is more "full sized" than the previous, but is still very compact for carry.  The Farmer is the "woods" tool here (one of the best!), and I consider the Pulse an "urban" tool with its scissors and phillips screwdriver.  If I feel that I need a corkscrew and don't mind going a little larger, I will substitute an OHT for the Farmer.  Let's face it, the Pulse has one of the best files in the business....

Leatherman Wave/Victorinox Electrician  Last but not least, I've been carrying this combo for a week or so and I'm liking it quite a bit.  I could almost carry the Wave by itself and consider it "urban" and "woods" if it weren't for the glaring ommission of an awl!  So, I combine it with an Electrician for very little redundancy in tools.  I don't really consider an extra blade or two as redundant, especially when all the blades are of varying shapes and uses.

All your tools are extra new mint

Are they shelf queens, only displayed for picctures???

No chips. no cracks!!!??  :ahhh

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #98 on: August 01, 2016, 01:02:17 AM
Those were new tools at the time.  That was 8 years ago.  I will try to take some pics of the Farmer and Pulse again--there is a definite difference with the Pulse.  The Farmer looks pretty much the same--that hard anodized finish is very tough.  I use that Farmer more than anything else.

I do take good care of my tools though, and multitools to me are for times when I don't have real tools around to get the job done, or in a survival situation.  You won't ever see me turning a nut or bolt with a plier if I have a wrench within a reasonable distance.  LIkewise, if I'm in the woods I usually have a hatchet or portable saw with me, so I'm not going for the little saw on my MT first.

Keep in mind also that I never said I carried these particular tools...  I have 5-6 SAKs and 2-3 plier-based multitools that I frequently carry, and I have MANY more in my collection.  This was just an exercise in pairing, for the most part.  In most cases, I substituted mint tools in the pics for tools that I actually use so the pics would look nicer.  There is a huge difference in the appearance of the Wave I use vs that 25th Anniversary Wave in the picture that is still MIB.  It sure looks pretty though, doesn't it?  :D

The tools I use most frequently:

Victorinox Farmer
Victorinox Soldier
Victorinox Cybertool 29
Victorinox Cybertool 31
Victorinox Rambler

Leatherman Skeletool
Leatherman Pulse
Leatherman ST200
Leatherman Wave
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 01:13:19 AM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #99 on: August 01, 2016, 02:41:15 AM
I remember this thread from back in the day and it reinforced my Pulse and Electrician Plus combo carry :cheers: I still carry it some now and it is the same tools that I carried all the way back then :tu:

I always loved this thread and am glad to see some of the people in here :dd: Great thread Terry :cheers:

Good to see some new combo as well :cheers:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #100 on: August 01, 2016, 05:23:43 AM
Thanks!  Yeah, I thought I'd drudge this one back up again...  I miss the 'ol stump at my last house BTW.  It was a Silver Maple, so I suppose it is probably rotted out by now.  :rofl:

Oh, and of course I meant CT34 above...  ::)
- Terry

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #101 on: August 01, 2016, 11:39:17 AM
Those were new tools at the time.  That was 8 years ago.  I will try to take some pics of the Farmer and Pulse again--there is a definite difference with the Pulse.  The Farmer looks pretty much the same--that hard anodized finish is very tough.  I use that Farmer more than anything else.

I do take good care of my tools though, and multitools to me are for times when I don't have real tools around to get the job done, or in a survival situation.  You won't ever see me turning a nut or bolt with a plier if I have a wrench within a reasonable distance.  LIkewise, if I'm in the woods I usually have a hatchet or portable saw with me, so I'm not going for the little saw on my MT first.

Keep in mind also that I never said I carried these particular tools...  I have 5-6 SAKs and 2-3 plier-based multitools that I frequently carry, and I have MANY more in my collection.  This was just an exercise in pairing, for the most part.  In most cases, I substituted mint tools in the pics for tools that I actually use so the pics would look nicer.  There is a huge difference in the appearance of the Wave I use vs that 25th Anniversary Wave in the picture that is still MIB.  It sure looks pretty though, doesn't it?  :D

Victorinox Farmer
Victorinox Soldier
Victorinox Cybertool 29
Victorinox Cybertool 31
Victorinox Rambler

Leatherman Skeletool
Leatherman Pulse
Leatherman ST200
Leatherman Wave

I think, for me, is more interesting to see real users than shelf queens...

If you talk about more frequent combos it has no sense to post pictures of shelf queens

Just my opinion  ???

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #102 on: August 01, 2016, 01:40:03 PM

Victorinox Farmer
Victorinox Soldier
Victorinox Cybertool 29
Victorinox Cybertool 31
Victorinox Rambler

Leatherman Skeletool
Leatherman Pulse
Leatherman ST200
Leatherman Wave

If you talk about more frequent combos it has no sense to post pictures of shelf queens

Just my opinion  ???

Some people would like to see a more rare tool than the regular version though because a lot of people have the regular version and not as many have anniversary tools :pok: I like seeing tools period for example :D

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #103 on: August 01, 2016, 02:36:26 PM

Just my opinion  ???

You're certainly entitled to your opinion.  To me, it makes no difference whether the pictures show shelf queens or my users.  Whether the picture is of my beat-up users or collector's items/shelf queens, I liked those combos for carry regardless and that's what this topic is about.  Many MTO members are users and collectors (such as myself) and like to see the rarer tools that they don't see every day.

So, what SAK/multitool combos do you like to carry?  I think this topic would be more interesting if people added to the discussion rather than commenting on the pictures.  Just my opinion. ???  ;)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 02:42:11 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #104 on: August 01, 2016, 06:33:24 PM
For me the list of implements I want most are:  blade, scissors, drivers (phillips and flat), pliers, and then any other "would be nice" options.  I enjoy finding pairings with the least redundancy (redundancy is handled by bag or car kits).  So my two most carried combos are:

Pioneer with Style PS - Keeps most of the same implements from, say, a Deluxe Tinker, but in two very slim tools.

Pioneer X (or "Super Cadet" mod) with Skeletool - better pliers and scissors, and add bit driver compared to first pair, lose nail file and tweezers

Aside from those two, for bag carry I'll pair a Wave and Pioneer (mainly just need the awl from the Pioneer), or Vic Hercules and LM Crunch.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 06:35:10 PM by eddie1115 »

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #105 on: August 01, 2016, 07:51:17 PM
The charge and pioneer X work well for me! I like having the bigger scissors on the X plus that awl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #106 on: August 01, 2016, 07:54:01 PM
For me the list of implements I want most are:  blade, scissors, drivers (phillips and flat), pliers, and then any other "would be nice" options.  I enjoy finding pairings with the least redundancy (redundancy is handled by bag or car kits).  So my two most carried combos are:

Pioneer with Style PS - Keeps most of the same implements from, say, a Deluxe Tinker, but in two very slim tools.

Pioneer X (or "Super Cadet" mod) with Skeletool - better pliers and scissors, and add bit driver compared to first pair, lose nail file and tweezers

Aside from those two, for bag carry I'll pair a Wave and Pioneer (mainly just need the awl from the Pioneer), or Vic Hercules and LM Crunch.

Not having the Hercules myself I would still think that it sounds like a very good combo with the Crunch :cheers:

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #107 on: August 01, 2016, 08:18:51 PM

Not having the Hercules myself I would still think that it sounds like a very good combo with the Crunch :cheers:

Yeah, it seems to be a really good fit.  I had an Outrider instead for a while, but the small SAK pliers are a nice addition to the bigger, locking Crunch pliers.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #108 on: August 01, 2016, 09:38:04 PM
Nice combos Eddie!  :tu:
- Terry

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #109 on: August 01, 2016, 09:50:26 PM

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #110 on: August 01, 2016, 10:14:53 PM
Since I got mt Vic Champion I have been carrying it everyday :dd: I have only had it a couple weeks though ;) I have paired it with my Sypertool 300 til today ( a bit overkill I know but I have been very prepared :D ) and I carried it with my Rebar today :cheers: Plenty of tool overlap but being slimmer than my Swisschamp I love this knife :cheers:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #111 on: August 01, 2016, 10:48:30 PM
I have a couple of Hoffritz Champions.  One of them is a user that I've carried on a few occasions in a Zermatt pouch or the Skinth that I carry a CT34 in daily to the office.

In the past I was a huge advocate for the phillips/mag layer bit I've gotten away from it in recent years, preferring the bit driver in the Cybertools.  Now that I think about it, the LM Mini Tool would be a great companion to the Champion, and the pair would offer many more tool options than just the CT34 alone.  :think:

I just bought my first Rebar off the  'bay this morning.  I look forward to looking for the right SAK to pair it with.  Something simple with scissors, probably...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 10:51:11 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #112 on: August 02, 2016, 12:42:22 AM
I have a couple of Hoffritz Champions.  One of them is a user that I've carried on a few occasions in a Zermatt pouch or the Skinth that I carry a CT34 in daily to the office.

In the past I was a huge advocate for the phillips/mag layer bit I've gotten away from it in recent years, preferring the bit driver in the Cybertools.  Now that I think about it, the LM Mini Tool would be a great companion to the Champion, and the pair would offer many more tool options than just the CT34 alone.  :think:

I just bought my first Rebar off the  'bay this morning.  I look forward to looking for the right SAK to pair it with.  Something simple with scissors, probably...

You will be very happy with the size of the Rebar in comparison to the Supertool line for sure :cheers: Until I started carrying the Champion as of late I carry an Executive and that has always been a great compliment for my MTs with it's great scissors :cheers:

Have wanted a CT for a while but never can get one at a decent price (I am to cheap) on the bay :D

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #113 on: August 02, 2016, 01:06:20 AM

You will be very happy with the size of the Rebar in comparison to the Supertool line for sure :cheers: Until I started carrying the Champion as of late I carry an Executive and that has always been a great compliment for my MTs with it's great scissors :cheers:

Have wanted a CT for a while but never can get one at a decent price (I am to cheap) on the bay :D
What he said.

I would recommend the Compact for a companion. They really do pair nice. It's what I used
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #114 on: August 02, 2016, 02:07:35 AM
Thanks Demel, that's a good suggestion.  I was thinking Cadet or Golfer.
- Terry

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #115 on: August 02, 2016, 01:55:40 PM
The knife can vary from day to day but the Skeletool CX with a Compact pair up nicely for me.
Combo 1.jpg
* Combo 1.jpg (Filesize: 286.24 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #116 on: August 02, 2016, 04:47:47 PM
The knife can vary from day to day but the Skeletool CX with a Compact pair up nicely for me.

Nice Dean :cheers:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #117 on: August 02, 2016, 04:56:38 PM
Good combo and sweet pic Dean :tu:
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #118 on: August 02, 2016, 05:11:31 PM
Great pic and combo.  It makes me miss my stump.  :D
- Terry

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #119 on: August 02, 2016, 05:15:38 PM
Great pic and combo.  It makes me miss my stump.  :D

Cut a new tree down where you live now before winter ;) and then by springtime it will be just right for pics :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%