Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help me choose a Spyderco

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Help me choose a Spyderco
on: January 15, 2018, 01:43:24 PM
I have a significant* birthday coming up and would like an excuse to buy some shiny to treat myself to a present.  I've settled on a new Spyderco something-or-other and would like a bit of help from you lot. :tu:  It's for use at home and in the garage, so a robust knife that I'm confident to use, but not too hard.  I already have a Pingo, Squeak and Terzuola that are all slip joints, and would like a locking knife to complement them.

Things I'd like:

One-hand opening
Locking blade - lock type not critical
Mid to large size blade - 2.5" to 3.5"
Leaf blade with a bit of belly.
Full flat grind
G10 or FRN scales
Under £150 (pref. under £100)
Pocket clip
Forward finger choil if possible, but not a deal breaker
Relatively light weight

Things I don't want:

Drop point like UKPK or Wharncliffe like Delica
Serrations
Damascus
Metal handles
excess weight

I realise that covers a fair amount of Spyderco's current catalogue...  I've got a couple of models in mind but won't list them just yet.  Anyone out there care to help me narrow the search down or suggest some possible knives?

thanks!

* to some, not me ;)

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Re: Help me choose a Spyderco
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 02:00:03 PM
Paramilitary 2 is arguably the best factory knife ever made and it ticks all the marks on your list...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 02:20:25 PM
I've often toyed with the idea of getting a Native 5 Lightweight and then getting some custom micarta scales made up for it by either Cuscadi or the other fella that does them - I can't remember his name, but he comes up a lot on google searches...

That would be my suggestion... that and what Corwyn said.  :tu:

Edit. I should say that Luke at Cuscadi has done a few scales for me and they're all excellent.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:01:31 PM by Fuzzbucket »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 03:45:12 PM
The PM2 is a great knife and a personal favorite. Don't know if you can get one of those for less than £150. I would caution that the PM2 has a delicate tip. This doesn't bother me, but I don't use 'em 'hard'.

I will say that the Delica 4 is one of the most useful pocket knife designs and is available with a ZDP-189 blade in your price range. I think the blade is a bit more robust than the PM2. The knife is very light and comfortable to carry. I'd look hard at the Delica 4.

Good luck making a choice.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 03:51:11 PM
 :oops:  Ooops, I see you don't want a Wharncliffe blade "like the Delica".

I don't think the Delica has a Wharncliffe blade, but if that model is specifically off your list, I'd look at a Manix. Same reasoning as I gave for the Delica (above), although it's a bigger knife. I've carried a Manix on some camping trips; makes a good hiking knife. Still, my nod would likely go to the Delica.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 04:06:25 PM
Thanks for the input so far chaps, very helpful. :tu:

Nix, there's a Wharncliffe variant of the Delica - that's the one I don't want.  Similarly, there's a drop point UKPK that I don't like the look of.  The standard leaf shaped blades are the style I do want.

I suppose I ought to list the models I am considering:

Delica
Native 5
Lil Native
Efficient
Paramilitary 2
Tenacious/Persistence
Para 3
Sage 5
Chaparral

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 04:09:31 PM
:oops:  Ooops, I see you don't want a Wharncliffe blade "like the Delica".

I don't think the Delica has a Wharncliffe blade, but if that model is specifically off your list, I'd look at a Manix. Same reasoning as I gave for the Delica (above), although it's a bigger knife. I've carried a Manix on some camping trips; makes a good hiking knife. Still, my nod would likely go to the Delica.

The Delica has always had a Leaf blade, only the 2017 model "Jazzelica" (designed by Jazz at Spyderco forums) has a wharncliffe blade   :salute:
I also thought of the D4 first of all.

It's light, thin, affordable, FRN scales, it's available in different colors and steels to satisfy your tastes, FFG, and it's an all time classic Spyderco, surely as iconic as the Military or PM2, which are also excellent knives but further away from your requirements.   :tu:

The D4 is probably the most recommended OHO Folder under $100 in all the knife forums, right next to the BM Griptillian.
The Native series and Manix (especially the Native 5 and Manix LW) are also very successful, good knives and alternatives to consider, as is the newer PM3.
 ;)
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 05:23:39 PM
I fancy the Sage 5 if I had the money for it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 05:52:27 PM
I'm a bit of a Spyderco fan. As you can see....

OHT included for comparison sake....and as another consideration. Hard to beat an OHT as a companion knife.

Top to Bottom:

Manix 2
Delica 4
Nilakka
Paramilitary 2

When I went to take this photo, I couldn't find the Manix 2 ( :ahhh ). Of course, it was clipped to the pocket of my hiking pants. 

The Nilakka is out of your price range, but let me try to persuade you to bust your budget and consider the Nilakka.  >:D  First, it's one of the nicest Spydercos I've ever owned. Wonderful action. The fit and finish is superlative. Materials are outstanding. And the design is pure joy, very elegant kinfe, very useful knife. And it ticks all your boxes: one hand, 3.5" blade, awesome ergos. The handle has a diamond shaped cross section that fills the hand and gives great control. Spyderco claims it was designed by well-known puukko designer Pokka Tuominen.

Negatives would be that it's a bit heavy, has a thin tip, and it ain't cheap. But,  >:D, if you are going to pick up a special knife for your birthday, this is an heirloom quality knife you will treasure and love. The PM2 is a nice knife, but it's a bit....mundane...not much elegance. It's kinda of a fancy Endura or Delica. I love 'em, they're great users, but the Nilakka is in a different class altogether. The opening action is silky smooth and lock-up is impeccable. Consider this special knife for a special birthday. It's worth the extra coin.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 05:54:00 PM by Nix »

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 11:15:14 PM
The Nilakka is a nice looker, but I have 3 Pukko-esque knives already and fancy something more obviously a Spyderco.  I'm drawn to the lines of the Native (and Efficient) and I've found a G10/S35VN Native 5 for sale S/H for a good price so I'm going to try my luck with that. :D

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 12:38:44 AM
 :like:

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 08:19:10 AM
Did I miss something, or why didn't anybody mention the Shaman?  :think:

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 08:21:25 AM
And I wish you much luck in making a choices.

I'm stuck choosing between two knives, and dreaming about a third that might never be produced.

With Spyderco I always want that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that, and that......... :gimme:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 09:58:12 AM

Oh yeah, I'd like one of those too. :gimme:  Actually, it doesn't seem to be available in the UK yet, but it's another on the list.  Dragonfly next, after I get the Native 5.

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 11:08:54 AM

Oh yeah, I'd like one of those too. :gimme:  Actually, it doesn't seem to be available in the UK yet, but it's another on the list.  Dragonfly next, after I get the Native 5.

I missed you last reply  :salute:

I recently convinced myself the Native 5 was The (next) One, fortunately my major enabler pointed out how short the blade is.
To be clear, I love a 50/50 choil, but what the choil giveth in ergos, it taketh away in cutting edge.  :facepalm:

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 11:32:33 AM
I really like my Endura 4, maybe unglamorous, but really nice for what it is, and works perfectly.  :salute:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 11:33:53 AM by twiliter »

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 02:10:20 PM
That's why the Delica was on the list for me.  Might be unglamorous, but has a very good reputation and seems reasonably priced for a knife with a great pedigree.  I thought  the Endura was maybe a little too pointy for my liking, though it's not much bigger than the PM2.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 02:12:19 PM
I recently convinced myself the Native 5 was The (next) One, fortunately my major enabler pointed out how short the blade is.
To be clear, I love a 50/50 choil, but what the choil giveth in ergos, it taketh away in cutting edge.  :facepalm:

It's a 2 1/2" cutting edge, about the same a SAK but with loads more handle to grab onto.  Sounds good to me. :)

hr Offline styx

Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 03:55:37 PM

It's a 2 1/2" cutting edge, about the same a SAK but with loads more handle to grab onto.  Sounds good to me. :)

if you have a chance to try them in hand it will help you out. Delica is an excellent knife but not overly so in my hands. Similar issue with the Sage I have because I have to use the choil and for some reason that makes the knife slightly awkward to use which isn't the case with and of my Vics
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 04:28:59 PM
Not sure I'm going to get chance to try any out before buying, but my Terzuola has a forward choil, is a similar size (same length blade, slightly shorter body) to the Native and feels pretty good in-hand.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 05:49:44 PM
I really like my Endura 4, maybe unglamorous, but really nice for what it is, and works perfectly.  :salute:

Agreed. The Endura is a great knife. My first-ever Spydie was an Endura. Oddly, the only Endura I currently have is the yellow scale version with H1 steel. I keep it reserved for canoeing and kayaking duty.

hr Offline styx

Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 08:16:42 PM
Not sure I'm going to get chance to try any out before buying, but my Terzuola has a forward choil, is a similar size (same length blade, slightly shorter body) to the Native and feels pretty good in-hand.

I hope it works for you then. would be a damn shame if you weren't 100% ecstatic

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #22 on: January 17, 2018, 06:55:05 AM
Don't discount the Sage 1 if you can get it cheaper than the Sage 5.
The liner lock gets a lot of flack but this one is a winner.

If you don't have a PM2 then there is a pressing case for starting there.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #23 on: January 17, 2018, 09:22:09 AM
Native 5 should be on the way today. :mail:

Not sure what I'll go for next - I love the look of the Dragonfly, but it's possibly a little small and I've got a Squeak already.  PM2 is very tempting, as is the Delica.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #24 on: January 17, 2018, 09:31:39 AM
I am not a Spyderco fan but hope you like the N5, it is a good choice. :tu:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

hr Offline styx

Reply #25 on: January 17, 2018, 10:00:27 AM

Not sure what I'll go for next - I love the look of the Dragonfly, but it's possibly a little small and I've got a Squeak already.  PM2 is very tempting, as is the Delica.

congrats

hr Offline styx

Reply #26 on: January 17, 2018, 10:01:30 AM
Don't discount the Sage 1 if you can get it cheaper than the Sage 5.
The liner lock gets a lot of flack but this one is a winner.

If you don't have a PM2 then there is a pressing case for starting there.

have it, EDCed and used it for years, and I agree that it is a marvellous start towards some of the higher priced stuff

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #27 on: January 17, 2018, 10:20:41 AM
Congrats H... can’t wait for your review...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #28 on: January 17, 2018, 01:04:00 PM

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #29 on: January 17, 2018, 01:57:45 PM
nice pick!
 :tu:

The Native seems to be labeled by long time Spyderco fans as one of the most overlooked, fly-under-the-radar gems of all the Spyderco catalog.
And being on their 5th iteration, the CQI shows everywhere on the knife  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%