Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help me choose a Spyderco

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: Help me choose a Spyderco
Reply #60 on: November 30, 2018, 03:53:49 PM

Yeah that's a nice one.
The spydiechef has been on my list for a while but the caribbean might take it's place.

I'll wait for the larger version to be released  :popcorn:

The Shaman is getting very positive reviews, but I find it a bit vanilla
:cry:

sprints are sure to come soon, probably the first one being Cruwear/maxamet + Micarta  :o
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #61 on: December 04, 2018, 01:56:25 PM
Have you had the Manix 2 Ultra Light in hand yet?

I just can't seem to go back to anything heavier since deciding to EDC one for the last 3/4 of the year!

I was a little worried it might not be tough enough but now I realize that I just might not be tough enough?

Just a crazy great largish but light weight choice.

Umm not that I would ever kick a Sebenza to the Curb either  :whistle:

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

I haven't.  Nix did offer to send me one but it was too generous...  I loved the shape of the Native, but the Manix doesn't do it for me.  What I'm looking for is a big, hard use folder but something that'll still fit in my pocket.  I reckon the Shaman fits the bill nicely.

The Sebenza is a small Insingo 21, and that's definitely staying.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #62 on: December 04, 2018, 03:57:32 PM
You may have already seen this but just in case.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: December 04, 2018, 05:05:24 PM

I just can't seem to go back to anything heavier since deciding to EDC one for the last 3/4 of the year!

I was a little worried it might not be tough enough but now I realize that I just might not be tough enough?

Just a crazy great largish but light weight choice.

Umm not that I would ever kick a Sebenza to the Curb either  :whistle:

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

I haven't.  Nix did offer to send me one but it was too generous...  I loved the shape of the Native, but the Manix doesn't do it for me.  What I'm looking for is a big, hard use folder but something that'll still fit in my pocket.  I reckon the Shaman fits the bill nicely.

The Sebenza is a small Insingo 21, and that's definitely staying.

Thats interesting as they seem almost Brothers to me?

https://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtopic.php?t=75130

The Manix is amazingly tough even in lightweight dress but likely feels tougher with the G10 scales too.

But there are a whole lot of great Spydie choices to be sure!

Every Spyderco that I have lived with for a while is a whole lot stronger than it seems at first blush!

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: December 05, 2018, 08:22:20 AM
Had dinner with a good friend last night, he's very anti-collecting-anything, and getting the Para 3 (maybe today) and wanting the Native 5 Salt has me straying dangerously close to a Spyderco collection  :facepalm:

Yeah that's a nice one.
The spydiechef has been on my list for a while but the caribbean might take it's place.

I'll wait for the larger version to be released  :popcorn:

The Shaman is getting very positive reviews, but I find it a bit vanilla
:cry:

sprints are sure to come soon, probably the first one being Cruwear/maxamet + Micarta  :o

How can you say things like that.......to a fragile person like me!?!?!?  :ahhh

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #65 on: December 05, 2018, 02:36:55 PM
It's the wisdom of the group Gerhard: we know you need to try out several knives before you find 'the one'. Some of us are still looking....... :rofl:

Although the PM2 comes darned close....
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 02:40:49 PM by Nix »

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: December 05, 2018, 08:41:54 PM
It's the wisdom of the group Gerhard: we know you need to try out several knives before you find 'the one'. Some of us are still looking....... :rofl:

Although the PM2 comes darned close....

(incomplete) collection of holes

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #67 on: December 05, 2018, 08:43:34 PM
Is that the new PM3....?   ...... :ahhh

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #68 on: December 05, 2018, 08:44:14 PM
:drool:

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: December 06, 2018, 08:25:55 AM

Is that the new PM3....?   ...... :ahhh

:salute:

Okay, I'm among friends......there is some buyer's remorse  :facepalm:

One simple reason.......if this knife was a back lock it would be perfect  :whistle:

I bought the knife knowing the details of the compression lock, no issues with it except I find myself instinctively going to disengage a back lock  :facepalm:

The steel  :dd:
Obviously it was very sharp out the box, I just lovingly stropped it a bit.  I have no use on it, but it's great knowing what it is and it's capabilities......the lack of fear to use  :salute:

Need not have worried about the ergos, except the pocket clip which I knew about from reviews.  It's my preferred size of knife for sure.

Another thing that bothered me slightly was the weight.......if only in comparison to the Salts.  That said, it's a much stronger knife and I look forward  to putting some good use on it. :cheers:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #70 on: December 06, 2018, 11:57:52 AM
Again...

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #71 on: December 06, 2018, 05:17:06 PM
That all sounds good, Gerhard!   :tu:

With a bit of carry and use, I'm confident the weight concern will disappear from your consciousness.

Likewise, I find the compression lock to be fairly intuitive after a bit of use. The problem may be that it become to play with. Most of my compression lock knives will 'flick' open or closed while the compression lock is activated. Becomes a fun game to try to flick the blade and then catching it by releasing the lock.

Hope you enjoy!  :tu:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #72 on: December 06, 2018, 07:21:12 PM

One simple reason.......if this knife was a back lock it would be perfect  :whistle:

blacklock is old and not that complicated,
but to put it bold, it gets too much hatred!  ???

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: December 07, 2018, 07:24:50 AM
Everybody has different standards, but IMHO the Para 3 is built too strong for any use I would ever put it through.

Strangely one of the knives I enjoy playing with the most is the Pac Salt, also one of the quickest knives in my hand.

Good news for me is the blade tip does not show when clipped to the pocket, and it sits perfectly for me when sitting down which is somehow an issue with many knives.

The only Spyderco I've been able to middle finger deploy, I now get the appeal.......and I did manage to stab myself in the pinky  :rofl:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #74 on: December 07, 2018, 08:08:22 PM
 :rofl:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #75 on: January 01, 2019, 07:20:40 PM

Hey Gerhard, Happy New Year!! Hope everything is fine  :tu:
Just wanted you to know that Sal at Spyderco just confirmed there are a few Shaman exclusives in-the-works for 2019, and that he himself is currently carrying a serrated Cruwear Micarta Handled prototype Shaman  :cheers:
My toys:

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: January 02, 2019, 06:59:36 AM

Hey Gerhard, Happy New Year!! Hope everything is fine  :tu:
Just wanted you to know that Sal at Spyderco just confirmed there are a few Shaman exclusives in-the-works for 2019, and that he himself is currently carrying a serrated Cruwear Micarta Handled prototype Shaman  :cheers:

Good morning(?) TP
I wish you a happy and healthy 2019!  :cheers:
The rabbit hole is deep, very deep.  If my knives sell I may receive partial payment in the form of a HAP40 Caly 3  :facepalm:

Apart from that I know what I desire most: the Native 5 Salt in LC200N  :woohoo:

Strange things is I confirmed to myself this XXL man likes small to medium knives, Pac Salt is acceptable only due to its lightness.

That said,
Cruwear Micarta Handled prototype Shaman

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #77 on: April 10, 2019, 05:00:08 PM

I have now.  Got one in a trade earlier this year and it's great. :D  I don't like the translucent blue handle, but otherwise it's lovely.  Light, great blade size and shape, good fit in the hand and a very secure, easy to use lock.

I'm half tempted to make new scales for it.  Maybe some Tufnol with brass liners. :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #78 on: April 10, 2019, 05:01:52 PM
Oh, I always liked the translucent scales.  Paired well with a translucent blue SAK.  :D

england Offline Kev D

Reply #79 on: July 06, 2020, 12:26:34 PM
I have now.  Got one in a trade earlier this year and it's great. :D  I don't like the translucent blue handle, but otherwise it's lovely.  Light, great blade size and shape, good fit in the hand and a very secure, easy to use lock.

I'm half tempted to make new scales for it.  Maybe some Tufnol with brass liners. :tu:

I was supposed to be sending you some of that wasn't I, oops
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 01:21:42 PM by Kev D »

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #80 on: July 06, 2020, 12:56:45 PM
I'd forgotten all about that.  :facepalm:  I haven't touched the Manix for months and I've got nowhere to fettle things at the moment but if you can get your hands on it I'd love to put some in the to-do pile.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%