Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

car fastener question- HELP!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
car fastener question- HELP!
on: January 15, 2018, 02:56:04 PM
So, other day, I pull into my spot in the driveway while it was raining cats and dogs. On top of snow. I seem to have misjudged where I was due to the weather and me just being tired and put it too close to the bank. Apparently, things shifted, and when the rain turned back into snow... yeah. Mess. Yesterday I go to move my car, and I"m stuck. Spent most of the afternoon trying to dig out enough and after several hours, I'm clearly just stuck, hung up on something. Call a tow truck.

My bumper was what I was hung up on and/or it was frozen to something, becuase all the little plastic rivetish things broke off. I've asked google for "plastic piece holds car bumper" and I'm getting no where with the search. Does anyone know what the damn things are called? I can't find them anywhere. Right now I've got some 16ga stainless wire holding my bumper on, but that isn't going to pass inspection. It looks like they are a barbed, push in fitting that I should be able to fix myself, without having to put it up on blocks like every youtube video and how to I've seen shows. Or am I just going crazy?

HELP! What is that part called? And is this something someone with hand tools and an engineering degree can do? Or shoudl I just throw in the towel?
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Re: car fastener question- HELP!
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 03:10:53 PM
Google auto trim plastic rivet.... there's a whole bunch of types and sizes so you'll have to take a peek and see what type you have.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 03:25:19 PM
A lot of mechanics just call them christmas tree fasteners because they look like little christmas trees

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/christmas-tree-fasteners

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 04:18:00 PM
trim rivet, aka christmas tree fasteners. Yeah, I can see the latter. So it should just go in with maybe a little rubber mallet work.

I had a feeling that someone here woudl know what they were called. Some people go to college indefinantly to continue their education- they should save money, buy tools, go to MTO.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 08:36:31 PM

Warm them in your pocket before installing them  ;)
Everything’s adjustable

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 11:12:43 PM

Warm them in your pocket before installing them  ;)

Absolutely.  Plastic parts get very brittle in the cold and flex nicely in the heat.

Also, if it helps any in the future, these are exactly the same doodads that hold the interior panels on, like door panels and the like.  If you ever have to replace a window motor (or hand crank) or a lock or something along those lines, be prepared to replace several of them as I've never managed to get into a door without breaking several of them.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 02:49:05 AM
And... it's fixed. Mostly. Enough to not fall off, and be legal. It was a matter of knowing what to call them.

And once I had them in hand (thanks for the tip to warm them), tap with a mallet, and their in. I'm afraid to try to do the math for how much that would have cost if I took it to a body shop.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 09:29:09 AM
Those things are a PAIN!!

Would strongly recommend getting a kit of various sizes and keeping them around (plus zip ties)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 01:38:33 PM
I'd agree with Nathan.  They are cheap enough and small enough that you could keep a variety in the glove compartment and not worry about them.  They also seem to be designed to be the failure point on a lot of cars nowadays- it seems like every time someone gets too close to a snowbank or needs to be pushed/pulled from someplace the plastic almost always gets ripped off, at least part ways.

A few days ago I watched a woman almost rip the plastic panel off the handle on her Honda CRV because the trunk lid was frozen and she just kept pulling on it.  I told her to use one hand to press the release button but to pull from the metal on bottom edge so she didn't rip the panel off.

I also once encountered a kid trying to push his buddy's rice rocket out of a snowbank..... by the spoiler.   :facepalm:

Glad yours worked out ok though!   :tu:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 08:40:14 PM
Most vehicle parts these days are one time use and replace

Pedestrian laws have gotten so strick that bumpers and valences need to be soft enough to absorb a person hitting them.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 12:29:50 PM

Pedestrian laws have gotten so strick that bumpers and valences need to be soft enough to absorb a person hitting them.
I'm kind of glad that they're trying to keep up with the trend of people driving worse and worse.   ::)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 02:44:36 PM

I'm kind of glad that they're trying to keep up with the trend of people driving worse and worse.   ::)

Agreed!  :pok:

:D
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 02:46:08 PM

Soon we'll all be driving expensive bumper cars.  :ahhh
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 03:43:18 PM

Soon we'll all be driving expensive bumper cars.  :ahhh

Every time I go out these days I see people who shouldn't be licensed to drive anything heavier than that.

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 04:09:24 PM
They go by lots of names, push pins, push rivets  or for the ones that are ribbed.

* push pin.jpg (Filesize: 4.41 KB)

* rivit.jpg (Filesize: 5.14 KB)

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 04:34:50 PM
And... it's fixed. Mostly. Enough to not fall off, and be legal. It was a matter of knowing what to call them.

And once I had them in hand (thanks for the tip to warm them), tap with a mallet, and their in. I'm afraid to try to do the math for how much that would have cost if I took it to a body shop.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD