Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hawaii- What would you have done?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Hawaii- What would you have done?
on: January 15, 2018, 03:29:21 PM
I know there's no way to really know what you'd really do until you are in the situation, but assume that you are warned there is a nuclear missile headed to your place- you have anywhere from minutes to hours (you don't know for sure) until it hits somewhere in your area.

What do you do?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Hawaii- What would you have done?
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 03:36:17 PM
That's a strange question. Have I missed something in the news?

You can't exactly head for the hills there as the nuclear blast is likely to set off the volcano's on the island, so caves, etc wouldn't be safe places to head for shelter. So it's get off the island as fast as possible. Hopefully it'll be hours and you'll be far enough away you are out of the blast zone and don't get caught by a tsunami.

Edit: Yep I did miss something, just found it http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42677604
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 03:43:58 PM by Kevin Davey »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 03:45:11 PM
Take cover!
Grab my BOB that is by the door (with survival stuff inside) and assuming I'm with family, take them with me to the deepest point of the building, underground, and prepare for the effects.

Once sheltered immediately send a message or call to family and friends nearby to warn of the upcoming event and what to do.

I've learned, read and studied enough about nuclear weapons, detonations and attacks to know what to expect, at least theoretically.

No way I'm taking chances outside if the time left could be a couple minutes, the impact point unknown and the yield of the warhead a mystery  :ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 04:06:03 PM
Edit: Yep I did miss something, just found it http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42677604
You don't watch the news much I take it? :whistle:

(P.S, I don't either :D)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:07:09 PM by Pablo O'Brien »
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 04:11:51 PM
If I had been in Hawaii,  I would have done the same thing I plan on doing where I am now. I live right behind a top-target air base, so I would be pretty well screwed. I would take a lawn chair into the front lawn and take a bunch of sleeping pills while just watching to see if one goes off nearby. Either one of two things will result from my method. #1. The whole thing passes without a bomb going off nearby and I can wake up and leave after the hysteria from other people has slowed down. #2. The bomb goes off less than a mile from my house and I am killed immediately.
#1. The more preferred result.
#2. I am dead and don't have to die by radiation poisoning (slow and incurable) or get killed by a group sociopathic and/or psychopathic nut-bags for a can of food.

It's a win-win in my opinion.  :waving:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:13:10 PM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 04:12:21 PM
One of the first things I noticed about Phoenix... people don't build basements in their homes here.
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 04:18:22 PM
If I had been in Hawaii,  I would have done the same thing I plan on doing where I am now. I live right behind a top-target air base, so I would be pretty well screwed. I would take a lawn chair into the front lawn and take a bunch of sleeping pills while just watching to see if one goes off nearby. Either one of two things will result from my method. #1. The whole thing passes without a bomb going off nearby and I can wake up and leave after the hysteria from other people has slowed down. #2. The bomb goes off less than a mile from my house and I am killed immediately.
#1. The more preferred result.
#2. I am dead and don't have to die by radiation poisoning (slow and incurable) or get killed by a group sociopathic and/or psychopathic nut-bags for a can of food.

It's a win-win in my opinion.  :waving:
I live down the road from the 2,000 strong curragh camp. I'm hoping that it and Ireland are too small to waste any missiles on.  :ahhh

All hail the hook!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 04:25:07 PM
Quote from: Pablo O'Brien
I live down the road from the 2,000 strong curragh camp. I'm hoping that it and Ireland are too small to waste any missiles on.  :ahhh
I can't think if any reason Ireland would be targeted. So that is good!
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 04:27:59 PM
Quote from: Pablo O'Brien
I can't think if any reason Ireland would be targeted. So that is good!
Maybe because It's got a military force?
(nevermind how tiny it is.  :rofl: )

All hail the hook!

england Offline Kev D

Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 04:30:02 PM

Nope, it's too depressing. I scan the news sites at lunch at work usually. I missed this one though.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 04:32:37 PM

Nope, it's too depressing. I scan the news sites at lunch at work usually. I missed this one though.
I do something similar, chrome gives me a small list of news articles.
The one time I put on the news in the last few weeks though, this Hawaii thing came up.  :rofl:

All hail the hook!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 04:45:29 PM
1) Hear the emergency siren
2) Recover from a small cardiac incident (bloody siren is loud)
3) Check if its Wednesday and if there is a planned test (I actually have never heard the siren outside of a test)
4) Turn on the radio/TV to see what is going on
5) Shut down the computer, go to the toilet, drink some tea. It never pays to rush these things.
6) Do as instructed, most commonly it means stay indoors and keep windows closed. In this case it probably would advice me to go to my designated shelter and hope that the impact is far away.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:47:35 PM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 04:45:45 PM
I have thought about this quiet a bit, so I know exactly what I'd do...

First of all I'd rob the nearest gun shop, not only to get tooled up, but to get as much ammunition as possible as that will become one of the most valuable forms of currency in a post apocalyptic world.
Then, I'd rob a pharmacy for medical supplies, but... most importantly to obtain as much Potassium Iodine as possible and consume as much as my little thyroid can take. What's left will also become a highly sought after commodity to bargain with and to help ensure the loyalty of others...
Then...

So, considering it was a false alarm - probably good job I don't live in Hawaii... do they have wifi in prison these days?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:48:04 PM by Fuzzbucket »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 04:46:45 PM

First of all I'd rob the nearest gun shop, not only to get tooled up, but to get as much ammunition as possible as that will become one of the most valuable forms of currency in a post apocalyptic world.
Then, I'd rob a pharmacy for medical supplies, but... most importantly to obtain as much Potassium Iodine as possible and consume as much as my little thyroid can take. What's left will also become a highly sought after commodity to bargain with.
Then...

So, considering it was a false alarm - probably good job I don't live in Hawaii... do they have wifi in prison?
:ninja:

:rofl:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 04:49:44 PM

Then, I'd rob a pharmacy for medical supplies, but... most importantly to obtain as much Potassium Iodine as possible and consume as much as my little thyroid can take. What's left will also become a highly sought after commodity to bargain with and to help ensure the loyalty of others...
Then...

So, considering it was a false alarm - probably good job I don't live in Hawaii... do they have wifi in prison these days?
They probably have Wifi, but I doubt you can bring your knife collection.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: January 15, 2018, 04:53:32 PM

I don't think wi-fi has anything to do with the internet in prison. I believe wi-fi is pronounced "wiifee" in the slammer.  :pok:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 04:55:54 PM
make sure one of the items you steal is a soap on a rope. You'll definitely need that in prison  :rofl:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #17 on: January 15, 2018, 04:56:53 PM

Then...

They probably have Wifi, but I doubt you can bring your knife collection.

Yes, good point. I could probably accommodate a MiniChamp though. Maybe I should invest in a drone...?

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #18 on: January 15, 2018, 04:59:04 PM
Celebrate.  :drink:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #19 on: January 15, 2018, 05:00:11 PM
make sure one of the items you steal is a soap on a rope. You'll definitely need that in prison  :rofl:

... though of that...

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #20 on: January 15, 2018, 05:13:09 PM
iodine pills are for NPP/reactor accidents, not for nuclear weapon attacks
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #21 on: January 15, 2018, 05:17:48 PM
iodine pills are for NPP/reactor accidents, not for nuclear weapon attacks

Well... that's no use!

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: January 15, 2018, 05:31:16 PM
Repent. Hey, I'd just be glad to have the warning to do so, most people don't.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: January 15, 2018, 06:09:28 PM
Head for ground zero!

There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #24 on: January 15, 2018, 06:37:08 PM
Head for ground zero!

This means nothing to me... Ohhhhhh Vienna! I know, different song, but.. am... I just felt the urge to sing it...

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #25 on: January 15, 2018, 07:24:07 PM
When this is for real, I'll be fine. Whomever presses the button will hit everywhere but Portugal. They'd keep us intact for living during the nuclear winter.

8) 8)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #26 on: January 15, 2018, 07:26:36 PM
Just found out there was an earthquake of 4.9 near Arraiolos, Évora. Maybe it was a test for the Hawai wipe-out...

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #27 on: January 15, 2018, 08:14:18 PM
I'm glad it turned out to be a drill this time, but I can understand how it might have upset some people. I saw one family on the news that had opened up a manhole and sheltered in the sewer. Since dying in the sewer strikes me as a slower and worse way to go, I wouldn't recommend it. Honestly, if we ever face a real nuclear attack I hope that I am vaporized in the first round of the exchange. I have no desire to live long enough to suffer after running out of my necessary medications, or to die of any of the calamities such as cholera, typhoid, tetanus and hepatitis that happen after a country's infrastructure and sanitation services are wiped out. Better to die in a flash of light than to suffer the sickness, starvation, and depravity. Just my opinion.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: January 15, 2018, 08:55:16 PM
I'm glad it turned out to be a drill this time, but I can understand how it might have upset some people. I saw one family on the news that had opened up a manhole and sheltered in the sewer. Since dying in the sewer strikes me as a slower and worse way to go, I wouldn't recommend it. Honestly, if we ever face a real nuclear attack I hope that I am vaporized in the first round of the exchange. I have no desire to live long enough to suffer after running out of my necessary medications, or to die of any of the calamities such as cholera, typhoid, tetanus and hepatitis that happen after a country's infrastructure and sanitation services are wiped out. Better to die in a flash of light than to suffer the sickness, starvation, and depravity. Just my opinion.

Many years ago,I visited the Imperial War Museum in London(at Elephant and Castle). They had Cold War exhibit on,including running tv ads I'd remembered from a kid showing what to do in the event of a nuclear attack. They also showed a map of the greater London area,with the blast radius of a kilotonne nuke hitting the museum. Everything as far as Watford would have been vapourised.

I made a little decision that day. If such a thing were to happen,I'd want to be as close to the point of impact as possible...
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #29 on: January 15, 2018, 09:53:31 PM
Head for ground zero!

My thoughts exactly

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD