Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hawaii- What would you have done?

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Hawaii- What would you have done?
Reply #90 on: January 18, 2018, 01:25:23 AM
I am sticking to my lawn chair system outlined early on in this thread. Radiation does not recognize basements, obscure countries, or geography as obstacles. Only the filthy rich who have built self-sustained/contained-system multi-decade-capable labyrinths could escape the radiation poisoning from all-out-nuclear-war. And when they emerge, it won't have been worth living in a bunker for 30 years. Most life on Earth we could use to start a new world will be gone and the land so damaged/irradiated that life(as we know it) more than likely won't be able to start back up. Now, with that being said, that is a worst case scenario that my mind can play out. But, knowing human nature in general, it is the most likely scenario if some smurfhole launches nukes. We can just hope that whoever gets nuked first will respond/retaliate W/O nukes. Even countries a country considers an enemy is mostly made up of innocent people. Unfortunately human nature is to usually fight back as dirty as the one who started the fight. Too few(If any) people with well-above-average intelligence are in charge of "nuclear deterrent" around the world. 

While not scientifically accurate, the movie "On The Beach(1959), is still quite relevant.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 01:26:44 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #91 on: January 18, 2018, 02:53:01 PM
Nah, you can't attack what you can't find - and that is if you think of it in the first place. It makes total sense.

but, given the current targeting and directioning technology of N.Korean Missiles, if you were Kim-Jong you'd most likely hit anywhere but the country you were aiming at, thus making the places you couldn't find still potential victims  :rofl:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #92 on: January 18, 2018, 05:07:20 PM
Nah, you can't attack what you can't find - and that is if you think of it in the first place. It makes total sense.

but, given the current targeting and directioning technology of N.Korean Missiles, if you were Kim-Jong you'd most likely hit anywhere but the country you were aiming at, thus making the places you couldn't find still potential victims  :rofl:

Ah, that is just too cunning... Maybe he knows that, and instead aims somewhere else hoping to hit what he really wants by accident? Ah the layers - my brain hurts!
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #93 on: January 19, 2018, 01:03:06 AM
After this tweet came out I have a hell of a lot more sympathy for the poor guy who sent the message out! Talk about a rubbish interface

https://twitter.com/CivilBeat/status/953127542050795520?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Farstechnica.com%2Finformation-technology%2F2018%2F01%2Fthe-interface-to-send-out-a-missile-alert-in-hawaii-is-as-expected-quite-bad%2F
That wasn't it at all. If you really want to know how the Hawaiian false alarm happened it was this,
alexa-missile-defense.jpg
* alexa-missile-defense.jpg (Filesize: 48.69 KB)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #94 on: January 19, 2018, 10:07:53 AM
After this tweet came out I have a hell of a lot more sympathy for the poor guy who sent the message out! Talk about a rubbish interface

https://twitter.com/CivilBeat/status/953127542050795520?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Farstechnica.com%2Finformation-technology%2F2018%2F01%2Fthe-interface-to-send-out-a-missile-alert-in-hawaii-is-as-expected-quite-bad%2F
That wasn't it at all. If you really want to know how the Hawaiian false alarm happened it was this,
:rofl:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #95 on: January 20, 2018, 03:33:22 PM
 :rofl: :rofl:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #96 on: January 22, 2018, 03:31:03 PM
I'll be safe... After all, every time when you ask someone from abroad "Where is Finland?", you get the answer: "in Sweden"...  :P

:D
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #97 on: January 22, 2018, 04:48:22 PM
I'll be safe... After all, every time when you ask someone from abroad "Where is Finland?", you get the answer: "in Sweden"...  :P

and the Finns for historic reasons would be entirely adverse for Sweden or Russia to be hit by mistake instead of them. :D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 04:50:03 PM by pomsbz »
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #98 on: January 23, 2018, 12:22:04 AM

Surely not the capital of Sweden then? Because the answer to that quite often seems to be Norway.

I don't blame people elsewhere though. On a world scale the countries in Scandinavia is pretty similar anyway in most respects. The differences might really just be for us with a special interests.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #99 on: January 23, 2018, 07:54:13 AM

Surely not the capital of Sweden then? Because the answer to that quite often seems to be Norway.

I don't blame people elsewhere though. On a world scale the countries in Scandinavia is pretty similar anyway in most respects. The differences might really just be for us with a special interests.

:cheers:
"Hoarder of weirdness,

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #100 on: January 23, 2018, 09:34:12 AM

:cheers:

Geez, I really can't write English - I guess I started thinking one thing, and finished with half of something else :)
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #101 on: January 31, 2018, 10:40:43 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jan/30/hawaii-missile-alert-error-false-alarm

The head of Hawaii’s emergency management agency has resigned and a state employee who sent out an false alarm of an imminent missile attack has been fired, it was announced on Tuesday, after an inquiry into a mistake which caused statewide panic earlier this month.

According to a federal inquiry into the incident, the employee, a watch officer at the emergency management agency, believed the threat of a missile attack to be real as he had not heard a recorded message announcing it as an exercise. According to state officials, the watch officer had been a cause for concern to his colleagues for more than a decade and had twice before mistaken drills for real alerts. It was unclear how he had managed to remain in such a sensitive post for so long.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #102 on: January 31, 2018, 10:47:59 AM
Still, that smurfing stupid software layout has to count for something when assigning blame. :twak:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #103 on: January 31, 2018, 11:43:27 AM
I know there's no way to really know what you'd really do until you are in the situation, but assume that you are warned there is a nuclear missile headed to your place- you have anywhere from minutes to hours (you don't know for sure) until it hits somewhere in your area.

What do you do?

Def

If was in Hawaii would of grabbed the mandolin & didge and went to the beach, and play till the end.

There's no where in Hawaii to escape. Unless one owned a submarine that was ready for immediate departure there would really be no place else to go - save maybe the bar to get pastered very fast so you wouldn't feel the pain when the radiation came for ya. Oh, and get religious very fast, or grab a hooker and go out the way you came in.  :ahhh
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #104 on: January 31, 2018, 03:56:41 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jan/30/hawaii-missile-alert-error-false-alarm

The head of Hawaii’s emergency management agency has resigned and a state employee who sent out an false alarm of an imminent missile attack has been fired, it was announced on Tuesday, after an inquiry into a mistake which caused statewide panic earlier this month.

According to a federal inquiry into the incident, the employee, a watch officer at the emergency management agency, believed the threat of a missile attack to be real as he had not heard a recorded message announcing it as an exercise. According to state officials, the watch officer had been a cause for concern to his colleagues for more than a decade and had twice before mistaken drills for real alerts. It was unclear how he had managed to remain in such a sensitive post for so long.

I have a lot to say on why he was probably still in that position, but I won't go into it here as this is a family friendly forum....

But you'd think that if they couldn't (or wouldn't) remove him somehow, that someone would have at least installed another safeguard along the line to ensure that this couldn't happen.  I think his immediate supervisor should be canned as well.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #105 on: January 31, 2018, 05:03:58 PM
He just had a "better safe than sorry" type of attitude
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #106 on: January 31, 2018, 07:44:44 PM
I bet he's pretty sorry now...
"Hoarder of weirdness,

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #107 on: January 31, 2018, 09:59:05 PM

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%