Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Your top "under appreciated" SAKs.

Gareth · 40 · 1759

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Your top "under appreciated" SAKs.
on: January 15, 2018, 10:25:25 PM
OK, so here's my idea; everyone knows how good a Farmer, Explorer, Spartan or Huntsman is, but what about the less well known and appreciated SAKs?  Now, the fact we're looking at less well know SAKs might very well mean they're discontinued, but don't let that stop you.  Also I'm looking for you to make a case for a SAK that you think is good, not just odd. ;)

I'll get the ball rolling with the Wenger Classic 132. http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Wenger+Classic+132

I remember back in the old SOSAK days a lot of people said they didn't carry a Wenger because they loved the Vic can opener and it's in-line Philips screwdriver.  Unknown to many, Wenger had a solution to that 'problem'.  Not the toughest of tools perhaps, but a lot better than nothing.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Re: Your top "under appreciated" SAKs.
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 10:42:17 PM
Wenger Pocket Tool Chest. In my opinion the best tool set on any keying size SAK.
20171012_072812.jpg
* 20171012_072812.jpg (Filesize: 151.28 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 10:46:56 PM
Easily the Rucksack.

Locking blade, but not OHO. With no OHO function on the blade, using it to saw with is a LOT more comfortable. A knife focused on saw and blade, I don't see a need for a monster strong bottle opener, so having what amounts to a opener layer the strength of a 91mm SAK is fine with me.

Red nylon scales give good grip and good visibility. And you retain the toothpick and tweezers. I would prefer a backside phillips to the corkscrew, but in fact, that corkscrew comes in handy for picking knots apart.

All this in a knife that is, as I recall, an ounce lighter than the Trekker/Soldier.

I don't hear about this knife much. I occasionally see it on ebay for what I feel is a pretty low price for such a good knife. I think because it's a less popular model, there just isn't the bidding competition for it, making it an even better value on the used market, which is how I got mine.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 10:49:53 PM
Vic Mountaineer

Because urban carry is more likely to bring the need for a metal file/saw instead of a wood saw.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 10:50:54 PM
Vic Mountaineer

Because urban carry is more likely to bring the need for a metal file/saw instead of a wood saw.

I keep hearing this, and... I kind of have to admit it's true.

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 11:09:39 PM
Vic Mountaineer

I keep hearing this, and... I kind of have to admit it's true.

+1. I rate the Mountaineer for exactly this reason.
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 12:21:58 AM
I nominate the Vic Handyman.  Everything you need in a pocketable package.
Barry

us Offline cody6268

Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 02:08:14 AM
I like the OH function on Vics, however, using anything but the blade gets uncomfortable. I usually carry a fixed blade when I'm also carrying my Fireman.

The Fireman. While not as suited to emergency response duties as the Rescue Tool, it's more comfortable in the outdoors. It's found itself as perfect as a farm work, camping, and fishing tool more than it has its intended use (shelf queen, as the knife was nearly ten years old when I bought it in 2016). The Classic is a close second--I think it's the most versatile small knife there is.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 05:26:30 AM
Fireman indeed. I don't have an OHO version and that's how I like it. The combination of plain blade, serrated blade and woodsaw does it. The Hunter XT has the same blades OHO but I like the Fireman better. Mine has had six or seven years of duty. Recently I replaced it with the 93mm Carver SW which has the  same three tools, and the inline awl.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 06:04:18 AM by Ron Who »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 05:40:22 AM
The Classic is a close second--I think it's the most versatile small knife there is.

I think, gram for gram, it might be the most useful multitool in existence. I think we tend to gloss over how great it is because they're so cheap and easy to come by. I, however, am a BIG fan.  :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 09:46:33 AM

I have to admit I kind of gloss over the Handyman in the Vic catalogue, but then I've never been quite sold on the pliers. 

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 09:46:34 AM
For me it's a toss-up between the Blunt Fieldmaster (AKA the Fisherman) and the Intergalactic Communicator (AKA the Mountaineer Lite)
The Blunt Fieldmaster's unique feature is its fish-scaler -  clearly a misnomer because nobody has ever used it for scaling fish. Its real raison-d'etre is as a multi-purpose massage tool. According to legend, when the great Mongol leader Ghengis Khan wished to please his wife Börte he would stroke the arches of her feet with a Victorinox fish-scaler; it was remarked that during the siege of Samarkand delighted giggles and moans of pleasure resounded from the royal gur, causing great unease among the garrison of that doomed city.
The Mountaineer Lite's super-power is its ability to generate a powerful stream of photons, brighter than a thousand suns, capable of illuminating entire rainforests and oceans. Strap one of these on a sub and they'd find that plane that went down in the Indian Ocean in no time. Recently, great bursts of energy have been detected from deep space. One theory favoured by astronomers is that extra-terrestrials are blinking Mountaineer Lites at each other, thus communicating across vast distances of space. Executives at Ibach have rejected this theory on the grounds that their Lite, powered by two tiddly 3 volt batteries, is barely capable of illuminating a shoe box. But what do they know.
All things considered, I'd have to pick the Mountaineer Lite. It's pretty rare - especially because Victorinox, erroneously thinking that there were no mountains in North America, never sold it on that continent. It's kind of a chunky SAK, coming in a few mm narrower than the Craftsman (another candidate) but there is nothing useless on it. Except perhaps on the back-side, where a Barbie size chisel resides.
Fisherman.jpg
* Fisherman.jpg (Filesize: 268.56 KB)
MountaineerLIte.jpg
* MountaineerLIte.jpg (Filesize: 198.03 KB)

fi Offline Padre

Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 09:53:12 AM
Ambassador.

Blade and scissors in a flat package but for adult hands unlike Classic.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 09:54:27 AM
For me it's a toss-up between the Blunt Fieldmaster (AKA the Fisherman) and the Intergalactic Communicator (AKA the Mountaineer Lite)
The Blunt Fieldmaster's unique feature is its fish-scaler -  clearly a misnomer because nobody has ever used it for scaling fish. Its real raison-d'etre is as a multi-purpose massage tool. According to legend, when the great Mongol leader Ghengis Khan wished to please his wife Börte he would stroke the arches of her feet with a Victorinox fish-scaler; it was remarked that during the siege of Samarkand delighted giggles and moans of pleasure resounded from the royal gur, causing great unease among the garrison of that doomed city.
The Mountaineer Lite's super-power is its ability to generate a powerful stream of photons, brighter than a thousand suns, capable of illuminating entire rainforests and oceans. Strap one of these on a sub and they'd find that plane that went down in the Indian Ocean in no time. Recently, great bursts of energy have been detected from deep space. One theory favoured by astronomers is that extra-terrestrials are blinking Mountaineer Lites at each other, thus communicating across vast distances of space. Executives at Ibach have rejected this theory on the grounds that their Lite, powered by two tiddly 3 volt batteries, is barely capable of illuminating a shoe box. But what do they know.
All things considered, I'd have to pick the Mountaineer Lite. It's pretty rare - especially because Victorinox, erroneously thinking that there were no mountains in North America, never sold it on that continent. It's kind of a chunky SAK, coming in a few mm narrower than the Craftsman (another candidate) but there is nothing useless on it. Except perhaps on the back-side, where a Barbie size chisel resides.
:D :D

The Mountaineer Lite has been on my "want" list for a few years, but I've never snagged one. 

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 09:57:27 AM
I'll second your rating. I chose one to replace a lost Swisschamp. I carry it every day and use it nearly as often.

A common argument against it tends to go: "Well it's so close to the same size and weight as a SC, so may as well get a SC!" But it is appreciably thinner and lighter and definitely more comfortable to hold, and there isn't a tool on it I haven't found useful. Except for the inexplicable fine screwdriver on the back whose function is covered by the one on the can opener.

Crazy then that in my mind it isn't my favourite SAK. It comes with me everywhere, whether in cargo pocket or bag - yet I feel naked without an 84mm on me. ???

The Classic is a close second--I think it's the most versatile small knife there is.
I think, gram for gram, it might be the most useful multitool in existence. I think we tend to gloss over how great it is because they're so cheap and easy to come by. I, however, am a BIG fan.  :tu:
Come to think of it, there's always a Classic on our living room table, always within reach for those cutting jobs at hand, always taken for granted. :salute:
Rambler

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 10:04:24 AM
Ambassador.

Blade and scissors in a flat package but for adult hands unlike Classic.

Good call IMO.  I've nothing against the Classic, but the Ambassador wins IMO.  Have you come across the Wenger Diplomat? http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Diplomat

Still a very flat and smooth SAK, but with an even bigger blade and handle. it's definitely one of my top under-appreciated SAKs.

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 10:05:16 AM

I have to admit kind of gloss over the Handyman in the Vic catalogue, but then I've never been quite sold on the pliers.
The pliers are SUPERB for holding small nuts while you screw from the other side, and equally SUPERB uber-tweezers! When I was shopping for a knife to replace the SC, it had to have pliers. :tu:
Rambler

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 10:08:21 AM
There is also a variant of Russian Roulette involving the use of Handyman/Tinker pliers to pluck out individual nose-hairs, but I forget the rules.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 01:00:39 PM
 :rofl: :rofl:
Barry

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 04:06:05 PM

I have to admit kind of gloss over the Handyman in the Vic catalogue, but then I've never been quite sold on the pliers.
The pliers are SUPERB for holding small nuts while you screw from the other side, and equally SUPERB uber-tweezers! When I was shopping for a knife to replace the SC, it had to have pliers. :tu:

When I read this my mind was in the gutter.  :facepalm:

ca Offline GuacamoleBay

Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 04:31:14 PM

When I read this my mind was in the gutter.  :facepalm:

Victorinox is really expanding into other marketplaces!

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 04:34:24 PM
maycontain.jpg
* maycontain.jpg (Filesize: 150.31 KB)

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: January 16, 2018, 04:37:55 PM

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #23 on: January 16, 2018, 05:52:10 PM
Uh, I could have phrased it better... :facepalm:
Rambler

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #24 on: January 16, 2018, 06:42:39 PM
(Lynn watches from the sidelines as another thread derails.)

Ah... the natural order of things at MTO. :D

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: January 16, 2018, 06:45:04 PM

I agree Lynn!  :like: :tu: :tu:

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: January 16, 2018, 10:58:38 PM
Without a doubt for me its the Wenger Survivor, failing that the S557.
Due to Wenger being no more, I dare not even carry either as replacement would be difficult if they were lost.
Can you believe I still mourn for Wenger, silly I know....Just something about them that I preferred over Victorinox.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 17, 2018, 12:30:14 AM

Teorically

But 6 layers are too many

Try to cut an apple with it

Not comfortable at all  :facepalm:

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #28 on: January 17, 2018, 12:51:08 AM

Teorically

But 6 layers are too many

Try to cut an apple with it

Not comfortable at all  :facepalm:

I carry a SC most of the time and I don't have problem with it, but then I also carry the Surge and don't worry about the weight. YMMV
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: January 17, 2018, 01:40:43 AM
Wenger Pocket Tool Chest. In my opinion the best tool set on any keying size SAK.

Another vote for the Pocket Tool Chest. (modified on the right)
PTC_Mod.jpg
* PTC_Mod.jpg (Filesize: 37.93 KB)
- Steve

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56