Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Your top "under appreciated" SAKs.

Gareth · 40 · 1772

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: Your top "under appreciated" SAKs.
Reply #30 on: January 17, 2018, 01:09:30 PM
some of my "overlooked SAKs" have been mentioned already...

Ambassador - the Classic always felt too small or me, this one is slim, bigger and to me, better

Handyman - I notice the width and size savings from the Swisschamp and all the tools I need. IMO the Champion and Swisschamp got all the merit and recognition that this one lacks

Wenger PTC - Can't beat that toolset for the size, not even Vic's 58mm do it for me
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #31 on: January 17, 2018, 02:04:14 PM
My most underrated SAK's are the Rambler, Handyman, Rucksack and Farmer.

I have a friend who always laughed at my desire to EDC a knife. He is a CEO of a small company. He always wears business suits, so even a medium sized SAK doesn't fit into his pockets without ruining the good looks of his business suit pants. So recently I gave him a Rambler, and now he isn't a day without it! The Rambler has this extra tool with Phillips SD and Bottle Opener, and that is exactly the extra's he needed to show off to his fellow CEO's. The Bottle Opener is very important to these guys because they meet every week in a bar where beer is served in (closed) bottles!

The Handyman has all the important tools you really need when being in a survival situation. That's why the Dutch Defense now has the handyman available for pilot survival bags.

The Rucksack is great when being outdoors, because it has the saw, which can be of great importance in any survival situation.
The same applies for the alox Farmer. As a 'Soldier'/ 'Pioneer' it is less vulnerable for filth, dust, sand and fat to clog into the mechanism than the other SAK's. If I was a soldier I would prefer the alox Farmer, because of this and its sturdiness.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: January 18, 2018, 02:36:18 PM
Here's another that I don't see carried a lot; the Pocket Pal. http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Pocket+Pal+84mm  Perhaps it's because it's not very SAK like, with just a couple of blade and nothing else, not even the T&T.  However as a traditional style pocket knife it's a cracker.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: January 18, 2018, 03:44:47 PM
The Hunter. Many folks don't like the combo tool but without it you don't get the gut hook. The gut hook is the most used tool on my Hunter.

IMG_20160319_081432.jpg
* IMG_20160319_081432.jpg (Filesize: 105.94 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #34 on: January 18, 2018, 04:01:41 PM
For me it's the now sadly discontinued Mechanic.  With those funny little pliers and no scissors and it doesn't seem very useful.  But when paired with a 58mm knife and a AAA light on my keys I'm happy that my pockets contain just enough to cope with pretty much everything on a day-to-day basis.

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #35 on: January 19, 2018, 11:22:03 PM
I nominate the Vic Handyman.  Everything you need in a pocketable package.

Teorically

But 6 layers are too many

Try to cut an apple with it

Not comfortable at all  :facepalm:
Thinking about it, I rarely use the HM's blades. The other tools I use much more often. I find that as a right hander, the large blade's position is awkward in use, so for actual cutting I tend to use the 84mm that nearly always rides with me. I might use the HM's blades more if they were positioned closer to the centre of the knife.

It has me wondering now whether the 5 layer+ SAKs like the Ranger, HM, and SC were designed more as multitools with blades than as knives with extra tools.
Rambler

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #36 on: January 19, 2018, 11:32:31 PM
Since most that I like are extremely popular like the pioneer and spirit, I guess I'd pick the one hand sentinel 
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #37 on: January 19, 2018, 11:46:57 PM
My most underrated SAK's are the Rambler, Handyman, Rucksack and Farmer.

The Handyman has all the important tools you really need when being in a survival situation. That's why the Dutch Defense now has the handyman available for pilot survival bags.

The Rucksack is great when being outdoors, because it has the saw, which can be of great importance in any survival situation.
The same applies for the alox Farmer. As a 'Soldier'/ 'Pioneer' it is less vulnerable for filth, dust, sand and fat to clog into the mechanism than the other SAK's. If I was a soldier I would prefer the alox Farmer, because of this and its sturdiness.
I have a Rambler as well as the Handyman that helps me survive work and certain emergencies in daily life. I like the Rambler's combo tool and how the blade and scissors open away from the keys. If I'm honest, and wore cargo pants only, they could be the only SAKs that I need - except for the others I have, :D and quite possibly in the future the shiny Cadets, Pioneers, and Farmers that are always catching my eyes here and there. :whistle:

I have a friend who always laughed at my desire to EDC a knife. a CEO of a small company. He always wears business suits, so even a medium sized SAK doesn't fit into his pockets without ruining the good looks of his business suit pants. So recently I gave him a Rambler, and now he isn't a day without it! The Rambler has this extra tool with Phillips SD and Bottle Opener, and that is exactly the extra's he needed to show off to his fellow CEO's. The Bottle Opener is very important to these guys because they meet every week in a bar where beer is served in (closed) bottles!
:like:
Rambler

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: January 20, 2018, 12:50:04 AM
I don´t have it, but I think the SAK of the Victorinox Practical Tool Set (Knive, openers and 2 saws) is really interesting  :drool: :gimme:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=32382.0

us Offline Thisjk38

Reply #39 on: January 20, 2018, 12:44:22 PM
Don't see them discussed too much on here, but my favorite SAKs are the Ranger and Outrider. Love having scissors on my 111mm sak, as well as the slide lock on the Outrider. The Ranger has a great assortment of tools including a very much under appreciated one, the chisel. Love using it when whittling/carving. I too think a file is more useful for urban edc, so I'm going to throw out there the Trail Guide. Don't own one yet, but I'm constantly keeping an eye out for them on eBay.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 12:57:38 PM by Thisjk38 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $142.99
PayPal Fees: $8.01
Net Balance: $134.98
Below Goal: $165.02
Site Currency: USD