Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Micra is 22 !!

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Micra is 22 !!
on: January 16, 2018, 10:02:19 PM
Unless we learn something this month that we did not expect, it appears the Leatherman Micra has been in production for twenty-two years. One year longer even than the venerable original Leatherman Tool / PST.

The longest "unaltered" production run of any of the Leatherman tools, if I am not wrong. While some version of the Super Tool has been in production two years longer, it has undergone two major revisions each of which is called by a different suffix (ST, ST200, ST300). As  "line" the ST is two years older, but as a specific individual tool, the Micra now takes the record.

All hail the mighty Micra!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Micra is 22 !!
Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 11:39:32 PM
 :like: :cheers: :tu:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 11:42:26 PM
The Micra holds the distinction of being the tool I have most often gifted, at 4 total.

After the Classic, maybe the next most useful Multitool by weight ever invented.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 11:50:11 PM
They'll announce the Micra Plus with replaceable cutters at SHOT  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

(I like them by the way and have a few and have gifted more than I can remember)
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 12:48:44 AM
The Micra was my second Leatherman next to my Original Wave. They were a great pair and they compliment each other.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 12:53:10 AM
Happy Birthday Micra :cheers: :like: :like:

I have a few of these as well and they are mighty fine little scissors :tu: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 01:00:13 AM
The longest "unaltered" production run of any of the Leatherman tools, if I am not wrong. While some version of the Super Tool has been in production two years longer, it has undergone two major revisions each of which is called by a different suffix (ST, ST200, ST300). As  "line" the ST is two years older, but as a specific individual tool, the Micra now takes the record.

Let us not forget the black sheep member of the Supertool family :whistle: The Core ;) as it was in production for at least 4 years  :D It should have really been the ST300 but of course it did have that blocky appearance due to the Zytel insert and many don't consider it in the ST family because of the name either :D In which case technically put the ST line on hiatus until they released the ST300 2009 :salute:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 02:52:17 AM
The Micra holds the distinction of being the tool I have most often gifted, at 4 total.

After the Classic, maybe the next most useful Multitool by weight ever invented.

A great one to give as a gift.

I really like my new PS4,the springs of which are near identical to that of the Micra. I only wish they would take  Micra as it is, and install a PS4- like plyers head and sell that. I just like that old school, slim line stainless look and feel. PS4 is great, but I'd love to see a Micra "P"

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 02:53:27 AM
They'll announce the Micra Plus with replaceable cutters at SHOT  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

(I like them by the way and have a few and have gifted more than I can remember)

Maybe it'll be a plyers head version

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 02:54:36 AM
Happy Birthday Micra :cheers: :like: :like:

I have a few of these as well and they are mighty fine little scissors :tu: :like:

Same size scissors as on the PSTII, and the SURGE!!

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 02:57:49 AM

Let us not forget the black sheep member of the Supertool family :whistle: The Core ;) as it was in production for at least 4 years  :D It should have really been the ST300 but of course it did have that blocky appearance due to the Zytel insert and many don't consider it in the ST family because of the name either :D In which case technically put the ST line on hiatus until they released the ST300 2009 :salute:

I did forget the Core. That's even more interesting because adding up the years some official version of the ST has been produced, the Micra has more years, and consecutive at that.

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 05:00:02 AM
First LM I ever bought!  :cheers:
Great pair of scissors. If they released a pliers one, we'd have a nice family of ST300, Rebar, and it.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 08:51:10 AM
The only worthwhile thing I ever got at a Microsoft launch  :salute:

Daily user for more years that I can now recall.....I suspect since '98 or '99  :cheers:

wales Offline Gavin Jones

Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 04:15:48 PM

My keyring Micra has a 0996 date code.

There must be several people here with earlier ones than that.

So who's got the earliest one?

:)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 04:19:40 PM

Who has the oldest Micra? :tu:

Add yours to the running list if you want :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 04:21:52 PM

I did forget the Core. That's even more interesting because adding up the years some official version of the ST has been produced, the Micra has more years, and consecutive at that.

Yes, the Micra is king now :D bumping the ever popular PST from its throne :ahhh :D :like: I have been waiting for this as I knew the Micra would still be around and glad you thought about this as well and started this thread :like:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 04:29:53 PM

Wow! It could have been offered to Pope Gregory V in his coronation day...

:whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 04:30:57 PM
This one is still in my  :gimme: list. Not easy coming across Leatherman tools over here (unless through the interwebs).

:-\

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

wales Offline Gavin Jones

Reply #18 on: January 17, 2018, 04:32:46 PM

I'd expect a bit more rust if it was that old.

:D

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: January 17, 2018, 04:53:37 PM

I'd expect a bit more rust if it was that old.

:D

Well, Gavin...

Show content

:D :D :D :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline gregpost

Reply #20 on: January 17, 2018, 08:54:52 PM
It is a great and useful design.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 02:15:25 PM
the best, true and king Scissors based Mt. Not a surprise it remains unchanged for that long,
truly marvelous piece of compact engineering and versatility  :salute:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #22 on: January 20, 2018, 01:16:10 PM
Hard to too a perfect piece of engineering like it!  One of these days I'm going to try a Micra challenge :D
Barry

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #23 on: January 20, 2018, 06:39:10 PM
My husband carries a Micra on his keys as his only tool, and has for about 4 years. I asked him how often he needed a tool and didn't have it in that time. He apparently needed pliers ONCE, had to get into the tool kit in the back of the car.

I just took one apart to clean yesterday. Even the neglected ones can be cleaned up quite easily.

I came to the boards as a fan of the Crosscut. When I misplaced my Crosscut, I got a Micra. For some reason, the scissors on it were not great, but I've since owned a LOT of other copies of it, and none of them have have the scissor issue. Meanwhile, the Crosscut has declined in quality since production moved out of the U.S. This has left the Micra as the best of the stainless steel keychain scissor-based tools, and I just can't imagine the design being topped, really.

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #24 on: January 25, 2018, 08:16:18 AM
I’m late to the party, got my first Micra two weeks ago...  :facepalm:

My best friend from college carried one for many years since 1996. I took the SAK route at the time with an alox Pioneer.

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #25 on: January 25, 2018, 09:23:44 AM
This would have been the best time to release a Micra with pliers.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #26 on: January 30, 2018, 03:28:13 PM
I had 3 Micras, now 2. my favorite LM Mini sized tools no doubt.  :salute:
I have a blue Micra that I got cheap second hand, anybody so kind to point me into the right direction to find info about these? Were they limited runs, made only during a short period, anniversary related or anything?

I tried the search function but my skills are truly lacking in that regard.
Thanks!  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #27 on: January 30, 2018, 10:24:06 PM
Is the blue an anodizing or plastic coating? I think I've seen both. I don't know that they're a specific special release, but certainly less common than the plain stainless.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: January 30, 2018, 11:03:12 PM
This would have been the best time to release a Micra with pliers.

I have a PS4, and I like it a lot, but man, if they just put plyers on a Micra, all classic stainless steel like it is, that would be so great. They could call it the Micra P, or the Micro or something. They probably won't though, because the do make the PS4, but a guy can dream, can't he?

us Offline Glockfan

Reply #29 on: January 30, 2018, 11:47:30 PM
I had 3 Micras, now 2. my favorite LM Mini sized tools no doubt.  :salute:
I have a blue Micra that I got cheap second hand, anybody so kind to point me into the right direction to find info about these? Were they limited runs, made only during a short period, anniversary related or anything?

(Image removed from quote.)

I tried the search function but my skills are truly lacking in that regard.
Thanks!  :tu:

The blue ones are still on LM site. Still making them. Hope that is of some help. :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%