Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How to make a PVC Pocket Dangler Clip with a Leatherman Rebar

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Forum member zrxoa1 started a thread called 'Non paint marring suspension clips' here...
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75440.0.html

Out of curiosity, I made one out of PVC pipe, just to see if it would work. To my surprise, it seemed to be fairly well received.

So here's a quick tutorial for a short (hour long max) build for your own PVC pocket Dangler clip.

You're going to need a length of 1 1/4" PVC pipe (larger diameter will also work, I guess), a multitool (with pliers, wood saw, file, awl, and blade), a heat source, like a stove or heat gun, and a bowl of water. I used a Leatherman Rebar, but anything that gets you the combination of tools needed is fine.

Step one is to use the wood saw to cut a ring of PVC about 3/8" (9.5mm) wide.

Here's a shot showing the ring's thickness.

Then, still using the wood saw, cut a slit in the ring.

Using the file, remove any plastic burs from the ring. You're about to heat this thing up, and if you overheat it, the very fine shavings can melt/burn, and stink badly.

You can also use the knife blade to shave any large burs.

You should have a bowl of room temperature water standing by while you do this next part. Using the pliers, and holding the ring by one end, heat it until malleable. I have a gas stove, and use that. If you have a heat gun, that works great. If you have a high powered hair dryer, that will even work. I can't say how well an electric stove would work, since mine is gas, and i definitely do not recommend a lighter or torch. You want slow, building heat, not flamethrower. On 3/4 heat, I held this thing about a foot (1/3m) from the flames, lowering it slightly. If you heat the plastic too much, it will scorch, and smell terrible. But if done slowly, it will turn a very soft, rubbery consistency. Once it does, grab the end you're not holding with pliers, and straighten the ring. You want to leave a little bend on both the end you're holding with the pliers and the end you're uncoiling. Once it's mostly straight, dunk it in the water, while holding it in shape. It will cool rapidly, and take on the new shape.

Your ring should now look like this...

Next, using the awl, drill a hole about a quarter inch (6mm) from the end. I started on one side, and once the tip was just starting to break through, started reaming from the other side.

Once the hole is drilled, use the knife to trim the corners, rounding it on the end with the hole.

You're about to do another bend that will make filing some of the areas difficult, so now is the time if you want to round over edges to make everything smooth. Use the file as you see fit.

Finally, heat the plastic until malleable again. Bend it back on itself, until it touches, and dunk it in water to set the shape.

And... that's it. You're done.

If at any point you feel like you've messed up the bends, don't worry, just reheat and rebend. In fact, if you find that you've stretched the clip out after you've made it, you can do this as well. This ability to reshape it, and the fact that it cuts like a fairly soft wood, makes this a pretty nice material to work with, IMO.

Like I said earlier, I did this with a Rebar, but any multitool or combination of tools that has pliers/saw/file/awl will work.

That's it. Go make one, and report back on how it went.

This tutorial brought to you by the fine people at GarbageTech. 'Turn that garbage in your garage into something useful'.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 12:06:27 AM by Lynn LeFey »

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Re: How to make a PVC Pocket Dangler Clip with a Leatherman Rebar
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 10:58:34 PM
 :tu:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 11:50:21 PM
 :like:   :climber: :salute:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 12:01:43 AM
Nice tutorial Lynn   :like: :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 01:30:04 AM
Very nice walk through Lynn :like: :like:

Except for the heating and bending part of the PVC my approach was very similar with copper water line :tu: I made a suspension clip from that and only thing I used other than a MT was a drill to put the hole in for a ring :tu: Much easier to make than I had anticipated and it has held up very well on my copper Olight :like:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 02:35:36 AM by Poncho65 »

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 01:52:41 AM
Awesome. Thanks for the guide Lynn... :like:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!