Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Taking care of borrowed items

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Taking care of borrowed items
on: January 18, 2018, 03:44:36 PM
What is it with people today?

Today I loaned my mini sharpie to someone and it came back 10 mins later like this.....

Clip missing and blue electrical tape over the hole it left behind when they broke it off. They didn't even hand it to me, they left it on my desk so I had to go find out what happened to it, and they really didn't care.

The other day it was someone dropping my mto px and not caring that she did it. I thought lending someone a pen would be safe, but nooooo

If someone lends me something, I give it back to them in as good a condition in which I borrowed it. If it gets damaged somehow I'd replace it and be very apologetic that I damaged it.

I know it's just a cheap pen, but it's the fact that they really didn't care and I got a smirk with an oops. It's a shame work frowns upon bitch slapping someone  :rant: :rant: :rant:

No more lending my stuff out to anyone.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 03:45:53 PM by Kevin Davey »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Taking care of borrowed items
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 03:51:33 PM

Today I loaned my mini sharpie to someone and it came back 10 mins later like this.....

Clip missing and blue electrical tape over the hole it left behind when they broke it off. They didn't even hand it to me, they left it on my desk so I had to go find out what happened to it, and they really didn't care.

The other day it was someone dropping my mto px and not caring that she did it. I thought lending someone a pen would be safe, but nooooo

If someone lends me something, I give it back to them in as good a condition in which I borrowed it. If it gets damaged somehow I'd replace it and be very apologetic that I damaged it.

I know it's just a cheap pen, but it's the fact that they really didn't care and I got a smirk with an oops. It's a shame work frowns upon bitch slapping someone  :rant: :rant: :rant:

Can I borrow your TonyTile?
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

england Offline Kev D

Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 03:53:00 PM

No  :twak:

You had the chance to get your own  :pok:

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 03:56:02 PM

Er no he didn't, he sodded off before that I think and he left his chair behind  :rofl:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 03:56:02 PM

I didn't want one then.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 03:57:41 PM
I can see your frustration.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 03:59:16 PM
I can see your frustration.
+1.

I have mini sharpies as well, and i can't imagine how that triangle clip thingy broke off "accidentally". :facepalm:  :rant:

Pity we can't make this sort of thing affect a persons reputation significantly....
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 04:05:18 PM
"Neither a borrower nor a lender be" , dks (2018)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 04:07:25 PM
Oh wait, is it a different sort of mini sharpie?  :think:

(And I've only just noticed the stress marks on the plastic from taking the spinny cap bit with the triangle clip ring(?) off. Silly me.  :facepalm: )

All hail the hook!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 04:11:52 PM

+1

Most of the time, when someone asks me for something, I just say "Sorry, ain't got one to lend you".
 :whistle:

If some smartass asks me "What, you don't have a whatever?!", the standard answer is awlways "Yeah, I know, only an idiot doesn't carry a whatever, right?".

Show content
They never get it, even with my patented "see what I did there?" look...

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 04:13:09 PM

+1

Most of the time, when someone asks me for something, I just say "Sorry, ain't got one to lend you".

If some smartass asks me "What, you don't have a whatever?!", the standard answer is awlways "Yeah, I know, only an idiot doesn't carry a whatever, right?".

Show content

:like:
Maybe you are too subtle.  :whistle:

All hail the hook!

england Offline Kev D

Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 04:18:41 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

(And I've only just noticed the stress marks on the plastic from taking the spinny cap bit with the triangle clip ring(?) off. Silly me.  :facepalm: )

No it's the same. I took the cap off with the keyring triangle so it would fit in my little leather case I carry with my bit extender, etc in. They snapped the pocket clip thing off and taped over the hole it left in the side.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 04:20:11 PM by Kevin Davey »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 04:22:03 PM

No it's the same. I took the cap off with the keyring triangle so it would fit in my little leather case I carry with my bit extender, etc in. They snapped the pocket clip thing off and taped over the hole it left in the side.
It's pretty psychotic to give something back in that state with no acknowledgment or apology.

Makes the world a worse place - now you, as a generous soul, will think twice, or even refuse to lend anyone anything ever again.

How's that tile coming on by the way?

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 04:22:41 PM

+1

Show content

:like:
Maybe you are too subtle.  :whistle:

I blame that on my country's laws, forbiding one to carry around a spiked club and hitting stupid people over the head repeatedly (or even just once). I think that would help convey my words' most profound and deeper meaning.

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

england Offline Kev D

Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 04:25:50 PM

It's pretty psychotic to give something back in that state with no acknowledgment or apology.

Makes the world a worse place - now you, as a generous soul, will think twice, or even refuse to lend anyone anything ever again.

what tile  :think:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 04:26:16 PM
knives, lights, tools...never lend before asking what do they need it for and/or offering to do it yourself (cut whatever, light their path, pry what they need to pry, etc.)
We should've learned that by now, after hundreds if not thousands of posts in this and other forums about "lending knives to co-workers" or "I just gave my mate the SAK because he needed to cut something and he gave it back bent, chipped, dented and or broken..."

Not a direct criticism to you, Kevin, and sorry that it happened,  :( but we should all know better by now...

I was just reading on the Spyderco forums about a chipped, dented and scratched sentimental and expensive knife that a forumite lend to his mate to "open some boxes" during a move, and was abused and damaged in just two minutes, also left there to be found by its owner in that condition   :oops:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 04:36:14 PM

what tile  :think:
The TonyTile you were going to lend me.

There won't be any left once Tony has filled Zed's garage with them tonight.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 04:39:44 PM

Oh.... That's even less forgiveable.  >:(

All hail the hook!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 04:40:31 PM

Don't you mean forgiveableless?...

:think: :think:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 04:40:53 PM
among my peers there's a rule - "you break it you buy it" 

My old man, for as long as i can remember.
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 04:42:12 PM

Fewer forgiveabilities?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 04:43:26 PM

Fewer forgiveabilities?
You're confusing me. :ahhh :D

All hail the hook!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 04:44:04 PM

Shakespeare ? 

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 18, 2018, 04:47:37 PM

Shakespeare ?

no, Shakespeare predated my ol fella by a few hundred years. how old do you think i am ??

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #24 on: January 18, 2018, 04:51:51 PM
83? 35?

Hard to judge from the avatars  :)

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #25 on: January 18, 2018, 04:52:43 PM

Shakespeare ?

no, Shakespeare predated my ol fella by a few hundred years. how old do you think i am ??

Dog years?  Sounds about right...

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: January 18, 2018, 04:56:41 PM

Fewer forgiveabilities?
You're confusing me. :ahhh :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 18, 2018, 04:59:14 PM
83? 35?

Hard to judge from the avatars  :)

close but no bananna

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #28 on: January 18, 2018, 05:01:34 PM

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #29 on: January 18, 2018, 06:09:45 PM
Years ago, I was moving a piece of furnature with my then-brother-in-law.

"Let me borrow your knife" Sez he.
Lynn, kind, trusting, helpful as always, hands over fairly expensive Spyderco Delica.
Then-brother-in-law proceeds to use it as a smurfing prybar, snaps off the tip, gives a shrug, hands it back.
Lynn thinking... 'Never again'.

Years later, visiting new mother-in-law in hospital. Doctor comes in to look at her, reaches for her pen light to check pupils, can't find her light. Lynn offers her Preon P1, watches that doctor like a mothersmurfing HAWK. Doctor looks all weird, says something about being paranoid.

Lynn thinking... 'Birch, YOU are the medical professional without the proper tools, and that is a $40 flashlight.'

Also, it should be noted, that I think I will start using 'birch' as an insult now. :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%