Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Taking care of borrowed items

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Re: Taking care of borrowed items
Reply #30 on: January 18, 2018, 06:18:57 PM

Also, it should be noted, that I think I will start using 'birch' as an insult now. :D

I'm going to borrow that, break it and then give it back in pieces. :D

Actually I'm seriously going to borrow that, I don't curse but enjoy inventive ways to express my feelings otherwise. This is a good addition to the collection!
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: January 18, 2018, 06:28:04 PM
I've been know to lend out a tool at rare occasions. Sometimes someone need something weird that I just happen to have.

These days though I don't care anymore how they treat the borrowed stuff. They never returned it, and as I haven't seen them in years I assume they have either moved away, are dead or both. (Moving deads?  :ahhh )

You only do that some 8-10 times before you wise up and stop lending away stuff. You know the saying, you might fool me, eh, eightsh? Ok, I give up, my English is not up to the task of highlighting my slow learning.  ::)
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #32 on: January 18, 2018, 07:05:39 PM
Years ago, I was moving a piece of furnature with my then-brother-in-law.

"Let me borrow your knife" Sez he.
Lynn, kind, trusting, helpful as always, hands over fairly expensive Spyderco Delica.
Then-brother-in-law proceeds to use it as a smurfing prybar, snaps off the tip, gives a shrug, hands it back.
Lynn thinking... 'Never again'.

Years later, visiting new mother-in-law in hospital. Doctor comes in to look at her, reaches for her pen light to check pupils, can't find her light. Lynn offers her Preon P1, watches that doctor like a mothersmurfing HAWK. Doctor looks all weird, says something about being paranoid.

Lynn thinking... 'Birch, YOU are the medical professional without the proper tools, and that is a $40 flashlight.'

Also, it should be noted, that I think I will start using 'birch' as an insult now. :D

Bet you scared the smurf out of that birch!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #33 on: January 19, 2018, 12:16:32 AM
You break it you buy it is a good policy, but does nothing for you if the broken item had sentimental value.  I tend to take better care of something borrowed than I do of my own things, and I take excellent care of my own things.  Returning something in that state is so unacceptable to me I can't even imagine it.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #34 on: January 19, 2018, 02:00:23 AM
The people who can borrow my tools are a very, very short list. Somewhat shorter than the list of people who I'll loan my toothbrush to.

I tell folks that and they just back away.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #35 on: January 19, 2018, 04:44:00 AM
I lent my refrigerant gauges to some clown I worked with 10 years ago, he gave them back to me with one of the lenses smashed and also shrugged it off like it was my fault. lesson learned, I never loan tools to anyone anymore.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #36 on: January 19, 2018, 05:12:49 AM
When I am at work or at home, it never fails people come to me to borrow tools/knives/lights. After a few times receiving my good items back scratched or damaged, I made a vow I would always keep loaning items to people in need. No matter what. BUT, not in the way you might think.  I went to the Dollar Tree and bought knives, pliers, hammers, lights, etc. I made four bags equipped with Dollar Tree tools. One for my mobile work cart at work. One for my woodshop at work. One for my car. And one for my house.
When people ask to borrow something and I can smell them oggling my shiny MT, knife, or flashlight. I dig into my DT bag and hand them what they asked for. Disappointment usually is cast over their faces as they walk away to use the crappy tool/light/knife I loaned them.
My only rule is: Person doesn't return the crappy item I loaned them, they don't ever get to borrow anything ever again.

Hope this system can help inspire new ways to be generous without losing their nice stuff.

The thread started, because of a damaged Sharpie. I suggest keeping a box of Dollar store permanent markers nearby to loan out instead.

When feeding the hungry, you need not serve caviar. :tu:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #37 on: January 19, 2018, 05:24:08 AM
Great solution to an all too common problem.  Being able to help and being generous makes me feel good so why should I have to change my behavior?  This won't work if you have to actually carry this junk though.  At that point I like Ironraven's answer.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%