Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lew's 30-Day Rebar Challenge

lew · 170 · 6729

Offline lew

Lew's 30-Day Rebar Challenge
on: January 19, 2018, 03:12:16 AM
As I said in another post, I have a Rebar and a SAK but mostly use the SAK out of habit.  Someone suggested a 30-day challenge so I thought, "why not?"  Today is Day 1.  I am an IT consultant and sometimes have to get my hands dirty installing computers and peripherals.  Today, I installed a printer for a customer.

Printer in the box (and the extra toner cartridge that I didn't open):

Opened with the Rebar.  Tried to use the can opener but it is too dull.

USB extension in a clamshell package.

Opened with the Rebar.

Sorry, no action shots.  I didn't want to ask my client to take pictures while I was charging him.

I have to admit I doubt I'll make it through 30 days, but so far it has kept my SAK out of my pocket.  If I do make it, you're in for some boring stuff!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 03:13:21 AM by lew »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Lew's 30-Day Rebar Challenge
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 04:19:44 AM
I completed the Rebar challenge back in December. I thought it was a great challenge. Like you, I'm mostly a pocket knife guy and the challenge really got me to warm up to the Rebar. Stick with it! The whole point of the challenge is to get you out of your comfort zone and trying something a little different. I definitely had to adapt, but after a while, carrying the Rebar felt quite routine.

I'm in the middle of a Swiss Spirit challenge right now and....I confess....I sort of miss the Rebar and definitely miss a SAK in my pocket. Old habits are hard to change!

I would think that in your career field you might find the Bit Driver a huge asset with the Rebar:

Slips onto the Phillips driver and lets you use a myriad different bits. I got one during my challenge (Thanks, Poncho!) and love it.

Hang in there and don't worry if it gets a little dull at times, every challenge has those moments. We'll be pulling for you!  :tu:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 04:22:30 AM by Nix »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 04:21:10 AM
Oh, yeah, I kept my awl/reamer sharp and used that to open boxes--that way I kept my main blade sharper for more serious tasks...like sharpening pencils.  :D

us Offline Glockfan

Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 04:33:34 AM
Nice start. Good luck!

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 10:54:05 AM
 :popcorn:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 10:59:06 AM
Good luck with the challenge! Geep up the good work :tu:

:popcorn:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 11:59:10 AM
Great start to this challenge :tu: Good luck as well :cheers: The challenge doesn't have to be exciting just let us know how it does :salute: ;) As Nix has already said, the bit driver adapter is an awesome addition to the Rebar (and many other MTs) as well :like:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 05:50:52 PM
A great first post with Rebar assisting. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 07:29:44 PM
Very nice to see that you finally decided to give the mighty Rebar a try with a proper challenge.

Good start, and enjoy it!   :salute:
We'll do   :D
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 08:32:16 PM
Hey Lew,

I bought a Rebar with leather sheath back in the middle of September and have been belt carrying it near daily ever since. Prior to that, I'd been carrying a SURGE!!! all summer. I, too started out as a Swiss Army Knife guy, and still carry the Super Tinker I bought when I finished high school (30 years ago)

Because I also carry a Leatheman Micra on my keychain, I now rarely have a need for my Super Tinker at awl.

Also working in IT, I find that the can opener or awl are sufficient for cutting tape that seals most boxes. Sometimes I am lazy and use the little nubs on the plyer end of the unopened Rebar nd that works fine. I happen to have it on good authority that the serrated knife will cut your finger all the way to the bone and not draw blood until you look at what you've just done for a few seconds.

The blade and tool locks are a big plus. I think you could leave your SAK at home and do OK
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 08:39:36 PM by ThundahBeagle »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 08:50:40 PM
Hard to beat a Rebar  :cheers:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 09:14:20 PM
Admittedly, though, I would love to get rid of those little lanyard ring and replace it with the box cutter from the Wingman. That thing cuts plastic packaging like butter.

Since the sheath are no longer fit to the tool the way they used to be, those older style lanyard loops that were outside the tool attached via the knurled screws would be fine.

Offline lew

Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 11:42:48 PM
The problem with cutting tape with the knife blade is it gets tape glue all over it.  I'll try the awl next time.

Here's Day 2:

Used the file to transfer some eggs into a pan of boiling water for poaching.

Cut open some packages from Amazon.

All day I'm asking myself, "Can I do that with the Rebar?"

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 11:51:39 PM

All day I'm asking myself, "Can I do that with the Rebar?"

...And the answer is yes.

Right. I try to never use a knife blade on tape. Sometimes maybe the little knife of a SAK, or if I'm in  a hurry and have no scissors.

Except for scissors, I find the Rebar up for almost anything reasonable.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 01:46:40 AM
Admittedly, though, I would love to get rid of those little lanyard ring and replace it with the box cutter from the Wingman. That thing cuts plastic packaging like butter.

Since the sheath are no longer fit to the tool the way they used to be, those older style lanyard loops that were outside the tool attached via the knurled screws would be fine.

You can turn the can opener into a package opener pretty easily   :tu:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,74693.msg1586916.html#msg1586916
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 01:47:41 AM by SteveC »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 02:09:20 AM
I hate getting tape all over my knife edge.  :rant:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 03:35:52 AM
Yeah tape res is the worse :ahhh I tend to use the awl if at awl possible as well :D

Unless... I use my Rebar and I did the same mod Steve did to his :cheers: :like:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 20, 2018, 03:37:58 AM

But will it still behave as a can opener? I happen to like and use it for its intended purpose

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: January 20, 2018, 04:33:33 AM

But will it still behave as a can opener? I happen to like and use it for its intended purpose

Mine does as I only sharpened it on the angle that was already there :salute: It will dull some after opening a can I am sure but since I never use it for that I don't have any experience of it dulling :D

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #19 on: January 20, 2018, 01:12:01 PM
Outstanding!  I never thought to try that with the file :D. Rebar is my edc at work.  I really need to pick up one for home :dd:   Keep up the great work and have fun!
Barry

Offline lew

Reply #20 on: January 21, 2018, 04:27:21 AM
Day 3: Went to the boat show and didn't use the Rebar all day.  Dinner in front of the TV and it dawned on me that the TV tray was wobbly.

Turned it over and discovered a loose screw.

Tightened it with the Rebar.

Whew!  My 3-day Challenge is over!  That was tough.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: January 21, 2018, 04:37:35 AM
Don't tease us with just 3 days :pok: :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Great pics and use :tu: :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: January 21, 2018, 04:38:50 AM
Couple days left, Lew. But you're off to a great start!

:cheers:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #23 on: January 21, 2018, 04:02:15 PM
getting much use out of it.
Good stuff!  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Offline lew

Reply #24 on: January 21, 2018, 10:45:59 PM
Day 4: Watching the playoff game and decided to open a beer.  Could have twisted it off or used my SAK, but this is a Rebar Challenge so I used its can/bottle opener.

Have to say I was disappointed.  The opener seems too small and I had a hard time getting it under the lip of the cap.  Anybody else have this problem?  My Supertool and all my SAKs do a great job.  I'll have to practice a lot in the second half and the next game. :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: January 21, 2018, 10:56:23 PM
Practice makes perfect.  :cheers:

(I don't recall a problem with the Rebar cap lifter, but with the Spirit cap lifter I usually end up making two 'lifts' to get the cap off. Not sure why. )

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #26 on: January 22, 2018, 01:23:11 AM
Yes, with twist-off caps there is often less gap to get under for leverage. 
I have same trouble with SAK Vagabond’s cap lifter. 

The can opener on the Rebar does work for opening cans. 

Hope your team wins, have a beer for each score!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 22, 2018, 07:38:45 AM
Day 4: Watching the playoff game and decided to open a beer.  Could have twisted it off or used my SAK, but this is a Rebar Challenge so I used its can/bottle opener.

(Image removed from quote.)

Have to say I was disappointed.  The opener seems too small and I had a hard time getting it under the lip of the cap.  Anybody else have this problem?  My Supertool and all my SAKs do a great job.  I'll have to practice a lot in the second half and the next game. :cheers:

This is a failing common to every single Leatherman bottle opener I have ever handled. Victorinox bottle openers are far superior, as they catch the edge of the cap immediately. Leatherman has to be set on there just right, and you must lift with your elbow, as opposed to flicking your wrist.

Yay, Patriots!!

G.O.A.T.!!!!

Sorry. 7 + hours later and I'm still up from the game (I'm in New England)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 07:39:51 AM by ThundahBeagle »

Offline lew

Reply #28 on: January 22, 2018, 03:33:37 PM

This is a failing common to every single Leatherman bottle opener I have ever handled. Victorinox bottle openers are far superior, as they catch the edge of the cap immediately. Leatherman has to be set on there just right, and you must lift with your elbow, as opposed to flicking your wrist.

Yay, Patriots!!

G.O.A.T.!!!!

Sorry. 7 + hours later and I'm still up from the game (I'm in New England)
My Supertool opener is larger and seems to work better.  Agree that Victorinox openers are superior.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: January 22, 2018, 05:52:42 PM
Ah. I've not yet tried the Supertool one. Too bad we have to go find one of the biggest tools they make to find a serviceable bottle opener.

Meanwhile, my SAKs, no matter how many layers, work smoothly and with little to no thought needed.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%